Violence in VNs

Clephas

What do you think about Violence in VNs?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about violence in VNs?

• I just play for moe! No need for violence!!!
    • A bit of action spices up an otherwise drab VN
    • I like to see how violence and its presence alters the characters and those around them
    • If violence is a part of a good story, that's fine. However, gratuitous violence is disgusting.
    • I like good fights, especially even ones. However, one-sided butchery bores me.
    • Let the blood spray!
    • I take pleasure in one-sided fights, where the protagonist absolutely slaughters his enemies with contemptuous ease!

This poll is closed to new votes

What do you think about violence in VNs? 

Personally, I like well-written violent scenes (as if any of you had any doubt in this matter).  However, I'm quite well-aware that not everybody feels that way.  I'm curious as to how my fellow Fuwadrones think on this matter.

Violence can be pretty effective in conveying different emotions. For example, the big bad getting brutally slaughtered by the hero creates a sense of victory, whereas a weak and vulnerable character being on the receiving end of violence usually makes the reader feel sad or sympathetic.

That said, violence for the sake of being gorey is kinda annoying. That's one of the issues I had with the Elfen Lied anime.

I like violence. As long as the scenes are not extreme I will enjoy them.

I've rarely found violence not adding something to the story. Or it being done exesssively just for the sake of violence.

I actually can't remember a single scene which is just for the sake of violence (out of the 40 vn's I've read). Even Saya No Uta with it's massive violence, it is a big part of the story. Same as Muv-luv alt and Cross channel. Violence is just part of the story. It's one of the things take shape and change the characters.

So basically. No, I don't like guro....

What do you think about violence in VNs? 

Personally, I like well-written violent scenes (as if any of you had any doubt in this matter).  However, I'm quite well-aware that not everybody feels that way.  I'm curious as to how my fellow Fuwadrones think on this matter.

I feel the same way about it. Except I also enjoy crappy violence, because I like to laugh at the absurdity of it :P

Basically I regard violent scenes the exact same way I regard everything else.

Violent scenes for the violence = bad

Violent scenes that adds to the story and/or character development = good (or well... as long as it's not too horribly excessive about it)

This, except that horribly excesive violence can work great in some circumstances.

Sometimes, physical pain is a neat way to represent emotional pain. "Random" violence that fits the story is good too; were something bad happens at random or as a result of poor choices, or a fight breaks out because of that moment's conflict.

I'm less fond of premeditated acts of violence.

I do not like torture in any context, and it's one of the few things I never want to see in my media.

Despite me being into the moe genre i absolutely love horror and thus violence is still something i like to see as long as it is well written and has some actual point. The type of violence i like to see most are: 

Violence that has an impact on either the protagonist or those around him and is well explained and depicted.

Pure gore where it's just graphic to the point it's not boring. 

So when it comes down to it i like violence if i'm reading a horror or if i'm reading a good drama, other than that i don't find it particularly enjoyable, like action scenes and fights between two characters that have no actual point. That's my opinion at least.

And NO i'm not giving you any more lolis to butcher!

I would personally say that violence done right would be in Sharin no Kuni. There was some violence inside the story, but not enough to disturb anyone. I don't personally hate or dislike violence in games, but in VN I would say its different story than in example Max Pain.

It's all relative to me. It could be gorey as all heck and downright disturbing and I'm game as long as it's appropriate to the writing. I may or may not decide to actually read it (I've been putting off Divi-Dead because of things I've heard about it) depending on my mood but I wouldn't say any form of visual novel whatsoever is "inappropriate". Just not for me sometimes.

...really no good option from the poll for me to choose, all of them would be inaccurate to how I feel. xD;

Basically I regard violent scenes the exact same way I regard everything else.

Violent scenes for the violence = bad

Violent scenes that adds to the story and/or character development = good (or well... as long as it's not too horribly excessive about it)

^ This. If the violence is used well than great. If it's just there to be there, then no. It's a lot like H-scenes in that regard. Some H-scenes are actually good and add to character development, but a lot of them don't, and feel unnecessary to me.

They can be as gory as they want if it works for the story, I just don't like gratuitious violence that brings nothing the game.  That said I haven't really encountered much of it since most of the VNs I have read were rather non-violent, but I have at least one scene that comes to mind that I found somewhat disturbing.(Sengoku Rance spoilers)

The Kouhime rape scene. I guess loli rape still makes me uncomfortable.

With Higurashi, it's what you DON'T see that makes it effective. Same with stuff like 999. Just the descriptions put me on edge.

Personally I think it would be much more effective, if for example in a horror VN, they sneak a pair of red eyes. If you notice it, it will freak you out more. Same goes with violence, it is different when you read something like "with eyes that reflected a soul that was no longer human" and compare it to a picture that would creep you out, the picture has a bigger effect on the audience.