What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

How is Morrowind?  I got it on Steam a while ago, but I haven't played it yet.  I've played Oblivion and Skyrim, and loved them both, but I hated the leveling and difficulty in Oblivion.  If you didn't plan your leveling out ahead of time, you got screwed by the difficulty increases.

Morrowind is my favorite in the series, but I'm afraid if you've already played Oblivion and Skyrim the gameplay may very well be off putting. Apart from the combat system, I love everything about the game. The music, the world building found laying in all corners of the world, to even the lack of quest markers and vague directions that will cause you to spend 2 hours figuring out where you need to go -- its the most immersive game that I've ever played.

Unfortunately, you might find it hard to get into considering its age. Still it's a PC game that has a wonderful modding community that can definitely make the game more appealing.

I haven't played the first two yet, but Morrowind's my favorite in the ES franchise. If you don't like the idea of having the quest destination marked out for you, then Morrowind will be right up your alley. There's no fast travel either (there are transport methods between cities, but they're region-based and can't be used to go anywhere). As far as leveling goes, I'd actually consider it a little easier than Oblivion if you plan on using trainers (there's no limit on trainers at all). Not only that, but it doesn't force you to stick to one class theme as you can flexibly train every skill without much drawback. And you don't have to wield spells in order to use them, so you can keep your sword out while casting (if you prefer something like warrior mage or paladin builds). However, it does help to plan out your leveling a little, but if you learn how to make a solid amount of gold in the game, then you can use trainers to optimize your stats. There's also a way you can maximize every stat in the game, but I'll leave all that to your discretion (feel free to ask me if you want to know).

Edit: Actually, there is a limit on trainers. You can't have the trainer bring your skill above the stat it's affiliated with (like strength or agility)

I haven't played the first two yet, but Morrowind's my favorite in the ES franchise. If you don't like the idea of having the quest destination marked out for you, then Morrowind will be right up your alley. There's no fast travel either (there are transport methods between cities, but they're region-based and can't be used to go anywhere). As far as leveling goes, I'd actually consider it a little easier than Oblivion if you plan on using trainers (there's no limit on trainers at all). Not only that, but it doesn't force you to stick to one class theme as you can flexibly train every skill without much drawback. And you don't have to wield spells in order to use them, so you can keep your sword out while casting (if you prefer something like warrior mage or paladin builds). However, it does help to plan out your leveling a little, but if you learn how to make a solid amount of gold in the game, then you can use trainers to optimize your stats. There's also a way you can maximize every stat in the game, but I'll leave all that to your discretion (feel free to ask me if you want to know).

Edit: Actually, there is a limit on trainers. You can't have the trainer bring your skill above the stat it's affiliated with (like strength or agility)

Actually, planning out your leveling is a pretty important aspect if you want to build a strong character. Due to the attribute points reflecting your choice of combat/skills you have used before that point. (Higher point value per pick depending on the way you level up, (skills used etc.))

But I do agree. You are never stuck with one class and can freely swap play styles at your leisure. 

That was actually one of the things that irritated me about Skyrim, and even Oblivion.  If you're trying to immerse the players in a fantasy world, leading them directly to quests and events with a marker on a map or compass doesn't work very well.  Sure, it's efficient, but efficiency isn't always good.

I've only heard great things about Morrowind, aside from how infuriatingly difficult it can be at times.  Is the leveling system better than Oblivion's, or do you still have to plan out what skills you're going to level?

EDIT: Ahhh, IGN reviews from before they sold out.  So strange.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/05/15/morrowind-review (this review is 5 pages long  O.O )

Quest markers may be a little immersive breaking at times, but with the more complex layout of the geography it became a necessity. For example, even in Morrowind, the direction giving is a little broken at times. 

I specifically remember, as most people do, a certain mudcrab killing quest that not only gives you complicated directions, but also incorrect ones. 

I can recall at least 2 more quests that have this problem. 

But overall, with a bit of mod tweaking Morrowind is my favorite Elder Scrolls by far. Even without the nostalgia goggles! 

You should defiantly play a bit if you like some 'retro-ish' games. :)  

Nostalgia_942574_2117126.jpg

You're like, my hero right now <3 Those have to be among my favorite RPGs of the PS2 era. Was just going through another playthrough of the IMOQ games myself, though I've never had the chance to actually own Quarantine, since it's gotten rather pricey these days.

Asides from .hack// though, I've been attempting to play LoZ Wind Waker HD....Attempting, because I can't really get into it, which saddens me, since I've heard it's supposed to be rather good. It doesn't seem to have that same spark that drew me to OoT, TP, SS... I dunno, hopefully it gets better as I go on.

I myself play them in emulators, so I've got no idea how the situation is for .hack//I.M.O.Q. retail games, but I do know I'm having a hard time getting the Conglomerate Project works, I'm having so much trouble finding scans for some of the localized books that I think I may have to import them after all.

Just started .hack//G.U. (saddly, not liking it as much as .hack//I.M.O.Q. 5 hours so far, but still I'm liking it, and not going to abandon it, NO WAY) after watching .hack//Roots (which, I didn't really like that much, maybe I should watch the .hack//G.U. Trilogy Movie after beating the games).

https://www.facebook.com/notes/brian-de-agustini-pagua/hackproject-chronology/10202253456528598

You can see that those are basically all the .hack//Project Works I've heard about and probably finished (not includes Conglomerate), and yeah, basically... .hack is a pretty large series that, will probably take me a good amount of time to finish, but... I accomplished at least 50% of it by finishing .hack//Project (well, except for .hack//Epitaph of Twilight Novel which hasn't been translated, and .hack//Another Birth "Quarantine" which I was going to finish just today).

I hope you sir a good time, and I hope you don't suffer as much as I did on the "EX Dungeon of Quarantine", hence my words shall give you the power to complete it (or not, I couldn't). Oh, and I of course, recommend you giving a try the other .hack// Works besides the games and the animes if you haven't already, they're awesome IMO!

Just started .hack//G.U. (saddly, not liking it as much as .hack//I.M.O.Q. 5 hours so far, but still I'm liking it, and not going to abandon it, NO WAY) after watching .hack//Roots (which, I didn't really like that much, maybe I should watch the .hack//G.U. Trilogy Movie after beating the games).

Roots was pretty lackluster. I didn't like it either. G.U. does start a little rough, and Haseo's pretty much an asshole until volume 2, but it'll pick up eventually. Haseo actually does develop fairly well throughout the course of the storyline and the plot will get really interesting once you hit the next volume (gets somewhat interesting in volume 1 too, but not as much). I haven't played volume 3 yet, but I plan on getting to it eventually.

I hope you sir a good time, and I hope you don't suffer as much as I did on the "EX Dungeon of Quarantine", hence my words shall give you the power to complete it (or not, I couldn't). Oh, and I of course, recommend you giving a try the other .hack// Works besides the games and the animes if you haven't already, they're awesome IMO!

Oh god, I was close to giving up on that dungeon. Took me hours to complete it. If it weren't for the completist in me driving me on, I would have definitely thrown in the towel. Hard to find the motivation to clear something like that when you've already beaten the game. ._.

And for what it's worth, I've constructed a timeline for the franchise as well. His order for the OVAs is definitely precise, but I preferred watching all of Liminality in one go before playing IMOQ. This isn't based on my personal take, but research I've done on various .hack// forums and other websites that have discussed the proper order. http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=726081

Roots was pretty lackluster. I didn't like it either. G.U. does start a little rough, and Haseo's pretty much an asshole until volume 2, but it'll pick up eventually. Haseo actually does develop fairly well throughout the course of the storyline and the plot will get really interesting once you hit the next volume (gets somewhat interesting in volume 1 too, but not as much). I haven't played volume 3 yet, but I plan on getting to it eventually.

Oh god, I was close to giving up on that dungeon. Took me hours to complete it. If it weren't for the completist in me driving me on, I would have definitely thrown in the towel. Hard to find the motivation to clear something like that when you've already beaten the game. ._.

And for what it's worth, I've constructed a timeline for the franchise as well. His order for the OVAs is definitely precise, but I preferred watching all of Liminality in one go before playing IMOQ. This isn't based on my personal take, but research I've done on various .hack// forums and other websites that have discussed the proper order. http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=726081

Thanks for the little character development spoilery thing, because... you really saved my day, I stopped playing because of what Haseo said to Atori... and that really made me just say "I don't want to play this today, I'll... just continue tomorrow", really, but at least I know now that the character gets much better. But let's not confuse things here, the character in my opinion is really well done, even though he's an asshole, assholes aren't exactly bad characters, if I should say... Haseo is the only character ever that made me think "He's just TOO cruel", which basically tells you how much of a good character he actually is, but yeah... I don't think I could stand him like that for three volumes, and I'll check on the order!

But, actually, I made my order considering people would read/watch/play the works in a way so they could get to know every character precisely how they should be known in my opinion, thus why I made Another Birth volumes to occur after every game, so you could say "Oh, that guy actually HAD that role?", just like NOVA, in the game he just tells you a kinda fun reference to Neon Genesis Evangelion, but in Another Birth he's just too much more plot-dependant (new word made by me?, lul), but considering these things, there is actually no correct order to go on for .hack//, you could just go completely random and still understand it all (unless you had bad memory, that is).

After taking on mind the character development, I started just taking the works in order of timeline, what happens before and what happens next, and that's how I reached the timeline I have, BUT... there's one thing that's missing, although .hack//Epitaph of Twilight won't ever change its place, I'm still wondering if it really should be the first novel to read... I really do want that thing translated.

Anyways, I think I'll keep on playing .hack//G.U. after all, I'm lifted up after writing all this C:, oh, and this made me kinda laugh:

Haseo: I never said anything like that, I would never use emoticons like that! - Made me realise just how misplaced my emoticons are on facebook.

Yep, Haseo has a little bit of an emoticon complex! XD

I agree, it's not poor character writing at all, it's just difficult to deal with. It's especially bad with how Yuri Lowenthal can bring out the worst in the nasty characters he voices (that guy's a genius). That scene in particular that you mentioned was especially brutal. But I'm glad I could clear a few things up for you with the game. Personally, I thought volume 2 and the later parts of volume 1 were really great. Hope you enjoy it. :)

For me, it was somewhere around 2003-ish that I first experienced Sign, and there were so many years in between watching that, playing the games, and being able to grasp the connections between everything. So I decided to start over again from the very beginning, and I've actually come to like the setting of .hack// a lot more as a result.

I've heard from Japanese readers that Epitaph of Twilight isn't necessarily canon to the main storyline, and that .hack//zero should be the only canon material that isn't translated. I heard that Epitaph of Twilight is still good side content though (I'd definitely be interested in reading it as well). Kind of unfortunate that it has to be left out like that. :( Tokyo Pop has some of the .hack// LNs localized, but it doesn't look like they have any plans on doing more.

Playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown, currently getting use to the game.

Has anyone else played Golden Sun? You know, horrible plot, no character development, silent protagonist, but great for battles?

I have, summons all the way! One of the coolest things I've seen in video games.

PLEASE tell me someone else here has played Yggdra Union.

I have, summons all the way! One of the coolest things I've seen in video games.

It's the reason why GS and TLA are on the map. The battle system, generic as can be, has SO MUCH TO OFFER. The graphics are beautiful, the rewards are decent, the gameplay is fun, the fact that you can critical AND unleash is awesome, and you can get summons from around the world (limited as it may be) to break the game even more. ALSO, it has like 5 superbosses in the first two games alone.

So I wrapped up S2 of The Walking Dead about 20 minutes ago. The conclusion wasn't as impactful as the end of S1, but I still enjoyed it.

First things first: fuck Arvo. Moving on to the ending, I thought Kenny's death was a good death and I'm glad I made the choice that I did. He was clearly unhinged and he had been through so much; I was so relieved that he used his dying moments to absolve Clementine of her guilt. I was so tempted not to go with Jane at the end, but I wasn't so inclined to let a 12 year old girl with a baby wander through a blizzard alone.

Also that flashback/dream about Lee man. Tears were had.

Overall, I was satisfied with S2.

Finished up my Catherine playthrough. The true Catherine ending absolutely beats the hell out of the true Katherine ending. Was laughing my ass off the entire time. 

I know right.  That's still probably my favorite game on PS3, although Lolipop Chainsaw comes close.  I always suggest couples play that game, have had some good reactions.