What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

General consensus is that Persona 4 has the edge on Persona 3 in terms of characters, but that Persona 3 has the edge on Persona 4 in terms of plot. They're both great. Never played the others aside from a few hours with the original Persona long ago, which I really couldn't get into , but I understand the tone and style really changed starting with Persona 3.

I recommend the Portable version of P3 since you can get it on the Vita, since the battles are way more enjoyable since the system is nearly identical to P4's, and since what you sacrifice in graphics and bonus scenario isn't all that great anyway.

Basically, once you're done and raving about how good P4 was, you should play P3. Also, P3 has Aigis. You're gonna love Aigis.

The good thing about P3 Portable is the female protag.

On 10/15/2016 at 1:15 PM, Vokoca said:

Speaking of Golden, there is one more thing I would like to mention about Persona 5, that being the ending. Persona 5 has only bad ends and a "normal" ending. However, in this "normal" ending, things get absolutely nuts, to the level of the true ending in Golden. You'd think there is no problem then - things escalate nicely and get wrapped up in a satisfying manner, and everyone is happy. Only... it just doesn't feel right. Not just because you'd expect a Persona game after 4 to have a true ending, but because there are a few strangely ambiguous and seemingly meaningful scenes left. Is Atlus trolling everyone, using the existence of Persona 4's complicated true ending to make people play P5 forever? Are they planning to release a true ending DLC? Is this just a cruel bait for the inevitable "Persona 5: Platinum" that will come out a few years later? Or did things change during development and Atlus just conveniently forgot awfully suspicious scenes and choices in the game? Whatever it is, it is driving me and a lot of people who've finished P5 nuts - so if you're waiting for the western release, I sincerely hope this mystery is resolved by the time you get to play the game, so you don't have to experience this maddening confusion.

Could this be why?

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/17/persona-4-arena-director-says-definitely-wants-make-persona-5-arena/

8 hours ago, BookwormOtaku said:

Haha, I really hope not. They didn't leave it open enough to justify an entire sequel - most of it is just stuff you could just claim means nothing, anyway. Though I have no doubt there will be something like Persona 5 Arena, I hope they just kind of do their own thing.

On 10/15/2016 at 6:15 PM, Vokoca said:

Just finished Persona 5. Oh boy... how I hate finishing long games that I enjoy - this one took me around 135 hours, and I've enjoyed every minute of that time immensely. I've enjoyed it so much that I'm left with nothing but a void now. Why, why did it have to end? :komari:

Oh thank God, that was my major concern, that the persona wouldn't make it to the current gen consoles without sacrificing length. 

I just gave up on my first playthrough of Dark Souls 3, made it to the last boss on a "tank" build. Going to try and do the opposite and see how well I do with a character focused on dealing damage instead.

8 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Oh thank God, that was my major concern, that the persona wouldn't make it to the current gen consoles without sacrificing length. 

I just gave up on my first playthrough of Dark Souls 3, made it to the last boss on a "tank" build. Going to try and do the opposite and see how well I do with a character focused on dealing damage instead.

How much of a tank are you? Like, you went full hp and resistances or what?

4 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

How much of a tank are you? Like, you went full hp and resistances or what?

Well, I suppose "tank" is not a completely accurate word for my character. What I did was sink a crazy amount of points in vitality so I could equip my character with high-stat armor, but still be able to dodge quickly.

39 minutes ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Well, I suppose "tank" is not a completely accurate word for my character. What I did was sink a crazy amount of points in vitality so I could equip my character with high-stat armor, but still be able to dodge quickly.

Oh my, I see. I'm doing my character with 4 stats at the same time, which of course makes it a bit of a pain, but for now it's worth it. HP, stamina, str and dex. That way I don't die too fast, I can do enough attacks and rolls, and deal decent dmg (and can wield my sexy black knight sword).

4 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

That was your mistake right there. I don't recommend upgrading vitality too much, especially if you want a high strength/dexterity build. Mainly because heavy armor barely offers much in terms of all types of defenses and poise. Refer to this on why tank builds just aren't worth it. Instead of investing too much into vitality, invest your souls into increasing vigor or strength. Through all 3 of my playthroughs, i have never once bothered to upgrade vitality past 25.

Current games I want to finish before the end of this year:

• God Eater Resurrection
  • Tales of Zestiria
  • Zero Escape
  • Minecraft: Story Mode
  • Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Second Play-through without DLC)

If I can get all these games finished by then, I'll be happy. I'm planning on picking up a bunch of new stuff during the Steam Christmas sales, including Witch 3's expansions. I'm planning on picking up Tales of Berseria on release, so that's why Zestiria is definitely high on my priority this year.

I'm currently thinking about dropping Pillar's of Eternity since I pretty much hate all changes they made to the combat system:

- Buff spells can't be used uot of combat anymore which makes them useless because there's more important stuff to do in combat

- The AI pathing is the weirdest thing ever with characters running in circles, doing nothing at all, mages sometimes attacking in melee, etc.

- Endurance used as pseudo-health is extremely unintuitive

- Lack of real healing spells results in constant marathons in and out of dungeons since you can't even rest in dungeons.

- Hard to keep mages out of combat

- Too many useless spells

- Ai pathing + Friendly fire = HATE

- NPC characters are soulless in comparision: They almost never talk or interrupt you, and it's not possible to see if you've already used a dialogue option

Maybe I should try Dragon Age 2 instead. As much as Bioware are bashed those days, their games still click with me more than the others.

Well, most complaints I heard about it was the level recycling, but I doubt that anything could be worse than Skyrim in that regard with its thousands of almost identical draugr crypts, bandit caves and dwemer ruins copy & pasted all over the place.

What's bugging me a bit is that it was 'popular' to bash Dragon Age 2 - many people somehow 'wanted' to hate it. But according to some more unbiased opinions, story and characters apparently were not that bad, even if they were weaker than in DA:O. Problem is, other party based RPG's with well developed characters almost don't exist.

The Witcher doesn't have a party based system, Elder Scrolls games neither that, nor story or any remarkable characters (great lore and atmosphere though) and Divinity Original Sin is too silly and dull for me. However, I'm also thinking about trying Final Fantasy 10 or give Ikusa Megami Verita or a decent Steam JRPG a try. I heard good things about the Shadowrun RPG's, but the art is pretty meh and I'm not sure if the characters have any depth. Or I just skip DA2 and jump to DA:I.

I rather liked Dragon Age 2, and honestly found the gameplay in Dragon Age too boring to get more than a few hours into, whereas Dragon Age 2's gameplay was fun and interesting for me. I mostly experienced Dragon Age by watching my roommate play it, whereas I played through Dragon Age 2 several times. But it's well-established that I have shit taste, so of course, take that with a grain of salt.

Final Fantasy 10 is a great game, if you can avoid the English dub (really just Tidus).

2 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I rather liked Dragon Age 2, and honestly found the gameplay in Dragon Age too boring to get more than a few hours into, whereas Dragon Age 2's gameplay was fun and interesting for me. I mostly experienced Dragon Age by watching my roommate play it, whereas I played through Dragon Age 2 several times. But it's well-established that I have shit taste, so of course, take that with a grain of salt.

Final Fantasy 10 is a great game, if you can avoid the English dub (really just Tidus).

I had a lot of fun playing Final Fantasy X. Right now i'm waiting on the FFXII remaster, as it's the only final fantasy to date that i have yet to play (besides FFXV of course). 

56 minutes ago, FruitsPunchSamurai said:

I had a lot of fun playing Final Fantasy X. Right now i'm waiting on the FFXII remaster, as it's the only final fantasy to date that i have yet to play (besides FFXV of course). 

I gave up on FFXII somewhere around halfway through. The whole thing just felt kind of off, to me. I didn't really enjoy the combat, or the setting, or the characters (the last of which is especially surprising, since I honestly can't remember any other mainline FF game where I didn't like the characters). I found it ironic when I later learned that, due to the flexibility of the ability upgrades and the unique animations they'd put on certain characters, the girl who is clearly intended to be an archer was actually the least effective bow user in the game, and the analogous statement was true of the guy who was clearly intended to use guns. It seemed somehow emblematic of the problems I had with the game.

10 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Yeah, I was never particular fond of the DAO combat either, but the character cast was great. It was a chore to play through though. For that reason I was one of the few people who wasn't disappointed when they announced that they'll change the combat system in DA2.

On 22/10/2016 at 11:10 PM, ChaosRaven said:

Well, most complaints I heard about it was the level recycling, but I doubt that anything could be worse than Skyrim in that regard with its thousands of almost identical draugr crypts, bandit caves and dwemer ruins copy & pasted all over the place.

What's bugging me a bit is that it was 'popular' to bash Dragon Age 2 - many people somehow 'wanted' to hate it. But according to some more unbiased opinions, story and characters apparently were not that bad, even if they were weaker than in DA:O. Problem is, other party based RPG's with well developed characters almost don't exist.

The Witcher doesn't have a party based system, Elder Scrolls games neither that, nor story or any remarkable characters (great lore and atmosphere though) and Divinity Original Sin is too silly and dull for me. However, I'm also thinking about trying Final Fantasy 10 or give Ikusa Megami Verita or a decent Steam JRPG a try. I heard good things about the Shadowrun RPG's, but the art is pretty meh and I'm not sure if the characters have any depth. Or I just skip DA2 and jump to DA:I.

I'll tell you,

Dragon age 2 has...one dungeon, repeated OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

Okay, Now i'm at...I dunno when, but basically 

Spoiler

Levi Chapter is about the Ilse' Journal OVA and explains us how Hange captured the two Titans she studied....and that happened a few hours before the battle for the Trost District.

Levi is frankly fun to play...But not as fun as Mikasa, though.