Jump to content

Site Work Failed, But We Didn't Die

Ugh. Still more roadblocks. Need to get an as-yet unknown password from Nay in order to get this sucker changed. For now, please enjoy the mess of a forums we've got, and dream of the forums we will probably never one day have.

< 3 - Tay

You can dismiss this alert by clicking on the "X" button

Suzuki Shinobu

Kawaii Onnanoko - Looking for members

Recommended Posts

Translation Projects

Here are some projects to choose from 

If you'd like to send some games let us know

Haruka no Sora

Gothic Delusion

Shoujo Ramune

Imouto o Kegashita

Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o Revolution - Rinagisa

Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Yuririn

Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Tenshi no Akogare

 

Contact Me

Email: suzukishinobushop@gmail.com

Twitter: kawaiionnanokox

Discord: 鈴木忍#1989

Open Jobs
Japanese
Typesetter
Translator
Proof Reader
Editor
Typesetter
Translator
Discord Manager
HTML/CSS Coding Specialist
Volunteer for buying games
Edited by Suzuki Shinobu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even know where to begin with this post. It's a new user, who wants to start no less than 7 translation projects, writes nothing about an existing team (is there any?) and the list of positions is copy pasted from anime or manga, which completely disregards that VN translations work differently. In other words this is just a wishlist for titles other people should pick up made by somebody who has no insights in how VNs are translated.

But wait, the fun doesn't end there. The list includes Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o titles, a series Mangagamer is in progress of releasing, meaning if anybody starts on those, MG will likely not be too happy about it.

The aura of professionalism doesn't end there. Nothing is written about those titles and there aren't even links or anything. We will have to do our own research to figure out what they are even about. Also out of the 3 links in the profile, two of them are dead and the third goes to what looks like an empty profile.

 

I guess now it's time to lean back and grab the popcorn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tymmur said:

I don't even know where to begin with this post. It's a new user, who wants to start no less than 7 translation projects, writes nothing about an existing team (is there any?) and the list of positions is copy pasted from anime or manga, which completely disregards that VN translations work differently. In other words this is just a wishlist for titles other people should pick up made by somebody who has no insights in how VNs are translated.

But wait, the fun doesn't end there. The list includes Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o titles, a series Mangagamer is in progress of releasing, meaning if anybody starts on those, MG will likely not be too happy about it.

The aura of professionalism doesn't end there. Nothing is written about those titles and there aren't even links or anything. We will have to do our own research to figure out what they are even about. Also out of the 3 links in the profile, two of them are dead and the third goes to what looks like an empty profile.

 

I guess now it's time to lean back and grab the popcorn.

Not to mention they haven't even defined what their involvement will be. It's literally just a translation wishlist with no effort put into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tymmur @VirginSmasher - Indeed even i must agree that my statement & profile lacks significant details as i am new to this.

Seeing this honestly made me feel better knowing it needs some kind of improvement because it just looks empty like it was just lacking.

I should have done fewer to start with so we could concentrate on 1 or 2 projects and not be disorganized and all over the place.

If possible can you PM and actually say what would all be necessary in the post? Advice would be nice for further improve.

Next time i post i promise it won't be such a mess of a recruitment.

I apologize if my request is an inconvenience to you. 

I don't whether your making fun of my inexperience or simply stating facts to help either way thanks to this i will further improve.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't intend to make fun of you. I was more like stunned at the post. It's so farfetched compared to anything else I have seen and I have seen quite a lot by now.

 

First of all, you have to realize translating even a single VN is a lot of work and there is no way you can handle more than one at a time. Secondly it will take a long time to finish even one. If you quit if you aren't done in half a year, you might as well quit now.

You need to extract the script from your chosen VN, make sure you can edit it and then put it back in. Once that is working you can start to consider an actual translation. You have to figure out what you will do yourself and what you need other people to do and then you need to figure out how to recruit the people you need.

I have some bad news regarding recruiting. People are not likely to join a project, which is stalled because it's missing people for key positions and it doesn't help that the leader is inexperienced and unknown. If you can't translate yourself and you don't already have a friend or something who can translate, then it will be really hard to get started. I have seen startups with multiple people, who actually knew what they were doing (sort of anyway) and they just needed a translator and then they stalled and died due to not being able to get one.

I know this is not a fun message to get, but unless you can provide more than you have shown so far, you will not get anybody to join you. Recruiting people is hard. I have tried for years with mixed result and that's not even for a startup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm... Why do you need HTML - CSS coding specialist in first place? I can understand if you need them for build website, but if you need them for VN Programming Translation, I can't understand it at all. 

@tymmur-sama , do we need HTML-CSS programmer for Translation Project ? considering I don't have any experience about this kind of thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orakana Newbie said:

@tymmur-sama , do we need HTML-CSS programmer for Translation Project ? considering I don't have any experience about this kind of thing. 

It could be useful for publicity for the project if you make a fancy project website, but other than that I don't really see the need. Even in the unlikely event that a VN engine supports html code, all the translation project should do would be to copy paste the code from the Japanese script. This is one of the reasons why I wrote the list is copy pasted from somewhere else and used without the knowledge of how VN translations work. Another issue is typesetter. This is the process of adding the text into anime or manga at the right location using the right font. A VN has the text in plain text with no styling (think txt document kind of styling) and then the engine will place the text where it's needed. There is nothing for a typesetter to do.

What is also eye catching is what is missing. There is no "job" for anybody responsible for extracting the script and injecting the translated script. Also the menu system tend to be in png format, meaning new png files should be made with English text. There is no request for anybody able to do such graphical work. However in a number of VNs, those tasks are so minor that if you have a team of the critical tasks (translator, editor etc), then requesting help from the forum/other translation projects can be a valid approach. It is however not instant, meaning it's likely hard to get this done if you don't even have a translator.

Other VNs really require to have people assigned to tasks like this. If the VN uses a custom engine then there is no tools available online and you have to make your own. If there are more than 5-10 imagines, which needs editing, then you need somebody in the project to work on those without relying on outside help. Musumaker falls into this category with hundreds of images needing translation and all tools are custom made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Funnerific said:

There's countless issues with your post, but I'll only ask one thing. What the hell does this mean? :michiru:

When I first saw this and the line about "sending games" I was tempted to think that this is some ultra-elaborate scam for receiving free VNs. xD

This BTW reminded me to accept those pending Curator Connect offers on Steam... :mare:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best of luck Suzuki, and don't let these crotchety old guard fools discourage you. VirginSmasher is an EOP, after all.

The visual novels you mentioned are a bit too childish for my God-fearing, law-abiding self otherwise I would gladly purchase them for you to help out, in accordance with local tradition.

Of course, as others suggested, do focus on one at a time. Even one VN, no matter how short, is a handful. 

Edited by Zander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

When I first saw this in the line about "sending games" I was tempted to think that this is some ultra-elaborate scam for receiving free VNs. xD

I was wondering the same thing. I don't think so, but I still won't rule it out. I have yet to see a translation project where somebody else will pay for your copy of the VN if you join.

6 hours ago, Zander said:

The visual novels you mentioned are a bit too childish for my God-fearing, law-abiding self otherwise I would gladly purchase them for you to help out, in accordance with local tradition.

If it is a scam, it would appear to nearly have worked here :pyaa:

6 hours ago, Zander said:

Best of luck Suzuki, and don't let these crotchety old guard fools discourage you. VirginSmasher is an EOP, after all.

And what do you think about me :marie:

Edited by tymmur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tymmur said:

And what do you think about me :marie:

Generally sensible individual. Somewhat humorous, refined writing style that I appreciate. Quality avatar, as opposed to animegirl#28291.jpg. Sometimes a bit cocksure, but not egregiously so. Questionable taste in visual novels relative to mine. Ostensibly experienced with VN translations, but I don't know enough to conclude that. 

Overall, not yet enough information for me to form a complete opinion. Keep posting here on Fuwanovel. We will be watching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zander said:

Generally sensible individual. Somewhat humorous, refined writing style that I appreciate. Quality avatar, as opposed to animegirl#28291.jpg. Sometimes a bit cocksure, but not egregiously so. Questionable taste in visual novels relative to mine. Ostensibly experienced with VN translations, but I don't know enough to conclude that.

I was more thinking like "don't let these crotchety old guard fools discourage you". I know I might be sounding quite harsh, but I try to be helpful and objective. I know people would would be a whole lot harsher than I am regarding a post like this.

It's kind of weird reading a description about myself like this. I'm not sure I like the word cocksure as I tend to view it negatively. If I'm sure about something, it's either experience talking or objective facts. I don't think of it negatively to make strong statements if they are statements, which are most certain, like "water is wet".

The hardest thing about being project manager for the Musumaker translation is the great difference between what is in the VN and what people think is in the VN. The thing people assume it to be is something I wouldn't work on. It does have dark moments, but not as dark as a number of other VNs.

2 hours ago, Zander said:

We will be watching.

I'm being stalked :pyaa:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tymmur said:

I know I might be sounding quite harsh, but I try to be helpful and objective. I know people would would be a whole lot harsher than I am regarding a post like this.

No worries, your post was fine, and precisely expressed in words what my initial thoughts were. 

1 hour ago, tymmur said:

I'm being stalked :pyaa:

Yes, because I am anxiously awaiting the Musumaker patch. All eyes are on you and your team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Zander said:

I am anxiously awaiting the Musumaker patch

:leecher: You know what that game actually is, right?

31 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Alright, let's try to keep things on topic.

Sure, although the thread itself in a bit of a CoC material. :sachi:

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×