can anyone tell me some short visual novels?

ratboi

Planetarian. Short and beautiful.

Eden*. Also quite short, maybe a bit longer than Planetarian, also a very beautiful story.

If you can read untranslated VNs and you're okay with yuri, I'd also recommend Kimihane Kanojo. It's short, simple but very good. The true ending really surprised me, and the other routes were very cute and enjoyable.

Narcissu - A nice introduction to the world of utsuges

Sepia Tears - rejuvenated my faith in OELVNs; it's quite well made 

One Thousand Lies - Proof of what a dedicated OELVN team can do, plus free

Saya no Uta - Gruesome, yet quite touching story of two individuals and the ugliness of the world

Kikokugai - Cyber Slayer - - A gripping, short story of what you'd except from N+

Hanachirasu - another one from Nitro+ with a different kind of protagonist

Fault: milestone one & two - Very good VNs with stunning visuals

Highway Blossoms - An OELVN with a scenario that's a breath of fresh air and overall quite good

Phenomeno is a horror VN with an incredibly engaging atmosphere and pretty art. It's not necessarily anything new (haunted house horror), and the ending is extremely lacking, but the short time spent on it is quite the ride and is very well executed as a whole. Juniper's Knot is a short OELVN that's rather pretty and well crafted, and it's all in all a pleasant story to get sucked in to for 50 minutes.

Maybe True Remembrance and Higanbana here?

For explanation, Higanbana maybe had same bad art as Umineko and Higurashi (Well, it's Ryuukishi art after all), but if you knew how popular both of Higurashi and Umineko were, at least you could expect that it will be good (Hopefully). True Remembrance was short story about how some sort of memory deleter live (Hard to explain) with his patient. Both of those was translated of course. Hope it'll help you.

I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but Lucid9 is a great short VN. (Although it might bug the hell out of you since it ends on a cliffhanger.) The full version should be coming out eventually, but it'll obviously be a bit longer.

Also, I need to second Narcissu. It's free, and there's really no reason not to play it.