What is the exact difference between sci-fi and fantasy VN?

Zidan209

I always wondered about this...

I know that in both genres are unreal things. But that seems like everything, and how do i differ those genres then?

Sci-fi should mean that there are things that are scientificaly impossible, and fantasy? In fantasy there s the same case... Seems like i m helpless about this

Some people argue science-fiction is fantasy, and fantasy is science-fiction. The definitions of science-fiction and fantasy themselves vary a lot and are also culturally influenced - the concept of sci-fi in Japan definitely doesn't matches the western concept, for example.

Technically, the difference between the two would be that sci-fi relies on a setting that is explained through scientific extrapolations, while fantasy relies on a supernatural setting (but which is considered normal by the people living in that setting), it's closer to something like myth.

But then again, the difference between extrapolated science and supernatural is thin. You can always "explain" supernatural by some incomprehensibly advanced science, while incomprehensibly advanced science is undistinguishable from magic.

Seems about right.

But what about movies? For example King-Kong, do u consider it sci-fi like it is tagged? Or is it a fantasy? 

The story takes place in past and there are no futuric scientifical things. But a mighty creature from an island that is not on map is not fantasy? Here for example it buggs me a bit

The postulate of King-Kong can easily be argued to be sci-fi: there's a scientific extrapolation which is that "there exists on an unexplored island a gigantic and prehistoric ape".
The science doesn't need to take place in the future, it doesn't need to be physics.

Of course you could probably also argue it's fantasy... but usually fantasy would be more rooted in myths and folklore, I guess.

...Btw as far as I know King-Kong is often classified as horror rather than sci-fi or fantasy.

Originally, science-fiction implies fiction where there is theoretical science that is presumed to be possible at some stage in the future, and alternate planets/alien species that could well exist somewhere in the universe. Fantasy implies paranormal phenomena and alternate worlds with impossible science (such as magic, different world physics, spirit beings etc.) There is obviously a lot of crossover where stories are either predominantly science with a little bit of fantasy and vice versa. Over the years the distinction has gotten very blurry and there is rarely any pure science fiction any more, though there is plenty of pure fantasy. If you read some of the scifi classics such as I robot, foundation, etc. you'll see they were written by scientists of their era, usually what would be called physicists today, and they went to great effort to explain the theoretical science for some of their future concepts. I don't think there's a great reason to try to clearly differentiate them now given how much even predominantly science based fiction includes fantasy elements. Go to an old-fashioned book store with dead tree type books and you'll see they just lump all the books into the combined science-fiction/fantasy section. As our real world science evolves so rapidly and technology outstrips the concepts of science fiction faster than people can come up with ideas for future science, pure science-fiction novels date very fast so the elements of fantasy make them much more enjoyable to read. Hence the rise in popularity of fantasy.

In my book, Sci Fi deals with futuristic technology shit, and Fantasy deals with magical surrealness gloriousness

Steins;Gate with its time travel would be Sci - Fi,

Rewrite with its superpowers and familiars would be Fantasy

And Ar Nosurge with its futuristic space setting & song magic would be Sci Fi-Fantasy.

I think that sci-fi is more related to technology and advancement while fantasy is more supernatural stuff that you can't explain with science. The difference between them is pretty obvious, if you want to know the difference between say magic and chi,it would be harder since they are relatively similar to one another in some ways.There can be some instances where magic and technology is both utilized ,but then its just a combo of both fantasy and sci-fi.

Sci-fi, for better or worse, can be seen as a potential development of our current society or an extension of technological development.  Fantasy ignores the 'process' that is so integral to scientific development, creating results in whole form without the need for past research and the like.

Science-fantasy blurs the line between the two... like a mage who suddenly picks up a wand that happens to be a laser gun, a cyborg who suddenly uses magic, etc. 

If it weren't for science fiction, we wouldn't have most of our current molecular science or ideas about space development.

Edit: It is only hard to make the distinction if you don't read both types of literature (stuff that is strictly sci-fi, stuff that is strictly fantasy).

Edit2: In many ways, science fiction can be said to be 'someone's vision of a future or our future', whereas fantasy is enwrapped in magic and other worlds in other universes.  Star Trek is sci-fi, Star Wars is science-fantasy, and fantasy is Lord of the Rings is one way to put it.

This reminds me of a "What's New? With Phil and Dixie" cartoon strip by Phil Foglio. The difference is romanticism.

You banish a monster in either setting.

Where did you get your spectacular weapon?

FANTASY: "I had to traverse through the scorched wastelands of Paragornia where I encountered the Succubus Magi of Brahm. After resisting her temptations for hours on end, I was finally able to subdue her with a sleep spell and obtained this mystical wand of a thousand suns with which I vanquished the foe."

SCI FI: "Sears. $19.95 plus tax."

I view it this way: Fantasy draws inspiration from our past, while science fiction draws inspiration from our future. That isn't to say every work based on history is fantasy or every work based on what the future may bring is sci-fi, but I think that's a distinct difference between the two. Our past is mostly folklore, myth and speculation. Our future is science. That's what creates the difference between fantasy and science fiction for me.

Fantasy -----> Dungeons and Dragons, Dragon Age, Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, Lodoss War, Escaflowne (steampunk variant).

Science Fiction -----> D&D's Spelljammer, Ender's Game, Dune, Solaris, Battletech, Star Trek, Star Wars, Ghost in the Shell/Shirow.

Fantasy settings depict worlds as our own but with subtle differences that (hopefully) help narrate the story and bring out a connection between the characters' problems and our own. It's like reflecting on our own things but without putting the blame on real people/nations/organizations, instead the setting helps us disconnect from our reality, but the issues can be traditional human issues experienced by every person. The major factor can be the presence of magic, or of some other sentient races.

Science fiction works usually portray the usage of some freakin' advanced technology that works similarly as magic in fantasy, but it has its own set of tropes. The characters are closer to our current mindset since they most times are from the near future, while fantasy tends to call up a medieval feel. Also some have set out to imagine how could life be with space travel and an eventual galactic dominion. People are still people in these stories, though, and their thought processes and issues are just the same.

The visual novels just ascribe to these genres as with any other work of fiction.

1 hour ago, Clephas said:

... Spelljammer was definitely fantasy though...

Yeah, that was a stretch 8)

A work that blurs the divides is .Hack, having .Hack//Sign in mind, its foundations are pretty much sci-fi but happens in a fantasy environment, and in the end it's a thriller and character drama.