What are you playing?

You can't be kuudere without being tsundere, it's a subset.

Although the classification of the archetypes is made like that, I don't agree that much with them, because tsunderes are usually upbeat and kuuderes cold and aloof, the one thing they have in common is their dishonesty in showing their true feelings, but both do so differently since most of the times tsunderes do so only to some people and kuuderes do it to most people.

I have spoilers fully on, that's probably the reason.

Ahhhh, that was it.  There we go.  Classic tsundere and deredere.  Strangely, no kuudere/coodere tag at all.  I mean, technically she's deredere, but she's also kuudere before you get to her route.  What do you guys think, should I add it in there?

Ahhhh, that was it.  There we go.  Classic tsundere and deredere.  Strangely, no kuudere/coodere tag at all.  I mean, technically she's deredere, but she's also kuudere before you get to her route.  What do you guys think, should I add it in there?

It's been awhile for me, but isn't she quite hostile toward Kyousuke initially? I have the impression that she was more prickly than cool.

EDIT: I suppose that doesn't necessarily preclude anything though. Yumiko did try to murder you initially.

Edited by nohman

She's not deredere. She turns dere at some point, but that's all "classic tsunderes", that's what that means. They go from full hate/disdain, to full love mode. Classic Tsundere is fine. Also, listing any of that as a spoiler is awfully silly so I'd make it a non-spoiler.

edit: Ahh, this is bothering me so I'll just edit it myself.

She's not deredere. She turns dere at some point, but that's all "classic tsunderes", that's what that means. They go from full hate/disdain, to full love mode. Classic Tsundere is fine. Also, listing any of that as a spoiler is awfully silly so I'd make it a non-spoiler.

edit: Ahh, this is bothering me so I'll just edit it myself.

Chihaya's route is shounen battle manga as all hell, except it had some of the worst qualities of the genre. I didn't like that route  much :/. It's a shame because Chihaya is one of my favorites in the common route.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the author was thinking here. I remember reading in the translated interview about Tonokawa's inspiration for Chihaya's route coming from Dragonball. I do hold a fair amount of respect for that manga, but I don't feel that it's appropriate to apply to this particular VN. Damn it, I like Tonokawa when he does pull through, but his potential is a little disconcerting.

Sometimes I remember the most random things. Also, Chihaya has been a particularly surprising route for me. I wasn't expecting much from it but it has its good moments.

I liked Chihaya's route in that it's basically something like "unattainable love" type of thing, though it is somewhat vague on the matter itself.

It's one of the reasons Rewrite is my favorite game. The comedy relief is a big point in her favor, though I like Shizuru and Lucia better. Akane's route does a great job of tying the story together, but her route isn't very good.

Honestly i respect you for actually going on the Kanon route at all, she was so annoying i pressed the skip button every-time she came on screen. She's like Chinami but without the extra bit of cuteness. Still those overbearing imouto types grind my gears to a stop

Well, she has a few legitimately good scenes, but otherwise I kinda find it creepy when the imouto type actually exists. More to the point, she's the reason why G-Senjou No Maou isn't my favorite VN.

I thought she was really cute...but in general, I don't like the "imouto" types.  Besides, I only skip the routes of characters I hate, like Isuzu from Hoshimemo, and since I actually liked Kanon, I didn't have it in me to skip her route.  I actually really like her voice.

EDIT: Haru just referenced VNs in general  xD  She told Kyousuke to pick the bottom choice, since it's the right one.  I love it when the fourth wall is broken.

EDIT x2: Yesssss.  Moar Yuki.

Isuzu, I found especially creepy, as they're blood related by what I gather. FUCK.

Haru's just awesome like that.

I love the fact that Dangan Ronpa 2 just insulted the entire plot of it's first game in the prologue. 

So far my favorite characters are Chiaki, Mahiru, Sonia and Mikan (who's tripping makes my day).  Let's see what happens. 

Nanami is my favorite girl of the entire series, but Kirigiri isn't too far behind. I found I really like Nidai and and Asahina Akane. Souda's a decent character with an awesome gimmick. Sonia is... Fairly annoying, in my opinion, but not too much so. If anything, Komaeda has me questioning which gender I like more, and easily overtakes Chihiro in that aspect. Komaeda is my favorite DR character ever.

I just started Sharin no Kuni, I hope it's as awesome as everyone says it is.

This is coming off of having just finished Remember 11, which really bugged the hell out of me. What a garbage ending. I was really expecting it to be something on the level of Ever 17, but no, it didn't even come close.

And in non VN news, I just finished Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright. It's pretty awesome, though it really feels like a Professor Layton game that Phoenix and Maya just happened to show up in. I feel like if the story was just a little less nonsensical, it could have been better. Still, if you're a fan of either series, I think it's worth picking up, and if you're a fan of both than it's a must-buy. Though I have to admit, the puzzles are really weak compared to other Layton titles. The court stuff is generally pretty good, with some new mechanics that make it feel like a pretty unique Ace Attorney experience.

Have you tried Never7? Honestly, Ever17 is the best of the Infinity series, but Remember11 is the downpoint of the famous three, and Ever17 is the best. And yes, there are other games to the Infinity series. Sharin No Kuni is kind of more relaxed, but if you liked stuff like Ever17, you'll probably love it too.

Pretty sure Layton Vs. Wright is actually considered a VN. Though it IS awesome. I have had a history with both gaming series, and it's great that they finally combined the series and actually connected the universes (That'll really help GT Crossover if it comes up), but I feel they could have done it slightly better. I have no real complaint for it except... WHY IS IT A DAMN WITCH HUNT?

Historically I played Planetarian and really liked it, and reccently I started to watch the Little Busters anime, and it started out good so I decided to read the visual novel for greater emotional impact but it turned out be awful. I've finished one route through the game, and with thirty or more hours of reading time invested I didn't feel even half as emo as when I palyed planitarian. I'm not sure I can stomach the repition and the pain of making dozens of correct choices to flesh out a hopefully better path through the game. I was hoping for a really emotional experince and it felt like a big waste of time when all that time spent reading resulted in little more than a couple of chuckels. I'm not sure why the game is so highly rated...

I like visual novels with few choices that branch out like a tree. Ones that require you to select multiple correct choices to end up with a half decent story are a waste of time.

Have you tried Never7? Honestly, Ever17 is the best of the Infinity series, but Remember11 is the downpoint of the famous three, and Ever17 is the best. And yes, there are other games to the Infinity series. Sharin No Kuni is kind of more relaxed, but if you liked stuff like Ever17, you'll probably love it too.

Pretty sure Layton Vs. Wright is actually considered a VN. Though it IS awesome. I have had a history with both gaming series, and it's great that they finally combined the series and actually connected the universes (That'll really help GT Crossover if it comes up), but I feel they could have done it slightly better. I have no real complaint for it except... WHY IS IT A DAMN WITCH HUNT?

I actually have Never 7 downloaded now, and I plan to play it after Sharin no Kuni.

And I didn't mind the witch hunt aspect of the game, though there were a few other things that irked me. I mean, I already talked about the puzzles being weak, and they totally are. Definitely the easiest bunch of puzzles in any game featuring Layton. I also found some of the logic in the courtroom stuff to be... pretty hard to swallow. I don't know, something about the glasses landing in the milk bucket in the first case really rubbed me the wrong way. I thought it was MORE plausible for her to have lost her glasses due to them being "invisible" than for them to be in that bucket. But I'm just nitpicking here. It's pretty awesome overall. The moments when Layton and Wright both shout Objection! simultaneously put a huge, stupid grin on my face, and the ending

was actually one of the better ones when compared to other Layton games,in my opinion. The ending didn't fit with the Ace Attorney series 

at all but I was able to look past it.

I'm a huge Ace Attorney fan (enough to know about and love Ghost Trick, if anyone's played that) and I enjoy a good Layton game from time to time, so this was a pretty awesome crossover. Layton is actually my younger brother's favorite DS series, so it's like they took my favorite game and mashed it up with my brothers favorite game and it was so awesome. I bought it the day it came out here in the states (which was less than a week ago.)

We must have very similar tastes. I believe the game devs were going for a Wright-based gameplay style and a Layton story, though they should have evened it out more. I have no idea why you put that part in spoilers, though I agree there.

I see dat Sissel.

I thought that revealing that the ending is

Layton-esque would actually give away a lot. If I had been readying myself for a Layton story from the get-go, I would have 

known that the magic was all faked, rather than being tricked into believing that this was an alternate universe made specifically for the crossover.

It's probably completely unnecessary, I just don't want to even risk ruining it for anyone else. Being pulled along by that little thread was fun for me.

Also, hell yeah, Sissel. I was thinking about going with Missile, because holy shit Ghost Trick, but didn't want a dog as a profile image.

Edit: I'm pretty new here, I guess I should check if swearing is okay before doing it. Am I good? Or do I need to edit that out?

I thought that revealing that the ending is

Layton-esque would actually give away a lot. If I had been readying myself for a Layton story from the get-go, I would have 

known that the magic was all faked, rather than being tricked into believing that this was an alternate universe made specifically for the crossover.

It's probably completely unnecessary, I just don't want to even risk ruining it for anyone else. Being pulled along by that little thread was fun for me.

Also, hell yeah, Sissel. I was thinking about going with Missile, because holy shit Ghost Trick, but didn't want a dog as a profile image.

Edit: I'm pretty new here, I guess I should check if swearing is okay before doing it. Am I good? Or do I need to edit that out?

Huh. Now that I think about it, you are correct.

Missile was pretty awesome though, gameplay-wise.

Fuck no.

Huh. Now that I think about it, you are correct.

Missile was pretty awesome though, gameplay-wise.

Fuck no.

Missile was pretty awesome in general. 

When I found out that he was the lamp all along, I almost shit my pants.

God, that game is good. I need to go back and play it again. But an ex-roommate has my copy of it and that situation is... awkward and I don't think I'm ever going to ask for it back. I hope the IOS version is as good as the DS one was.

Seriously, if anyone here owns a DS or an IOS device, Ghost Trick is totally worth your time. Yeah, it's not a VN, but its story is completely mind bending and the gameplay aspects of it aren't all that involved. 

I like A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask both better, but I grew up playing Ocarina of Time and I will never be able to see it as anything other than amazing because of that. Also, I really love the music of the Zelda games, and Ocarina had some of the best in the series, in my opinion. I'm a music guy, by the way. Music is awesome.

I hadn't heard it until I looked it up just now, but yeah, that's a pretty great song. Have you listened to any of the music from Chrono Cross? I've never actually played the game, but the soundtrack is incredible. Ephemeral Memory is probably my favorite track, but the entire thing is just amazing.