Books!

meru

i used to read a lot when i was a kid but now... not enough time, whatever. those i remember:

the witcher saga (especialy The Sword of Destiny and Baptism of Fire)- one of the best fantasy i've read. definitely i recomend this saga.

starcraft ghost: nova. - for me it is the best book about sc universe.

Greg Keyes - the blackgod. not well known book but really nice fantasy.

Metro 2033 - good but not for everybody. 

The Kingdom of Shadow - Richard A. Knaak  - you dont need to know diablo universe, i didn't and still enjoyed the book. it's more dark fantasy.

dune 

fantasy and sci fi, this is what i used to read.

btw. when i was realllly young i loved The Six Bullerby Children :)

the witcher saga (especialy The Sword of Destiny and Baptism of Fire)- one of the best fantasy i've read. definitely i recomend this saga.

Whoa, thanks for mentioning this -- I think the video game series is great, I didn't realize the books had been translated into English!  I'll have to check that out.

I read a lot. I've picked up the habit since I was like 14 or 15? Up until now I read most of the time. Its one of the habits I don't regret about. My books keep piling up (I have like around 40 in my room now? I lost count) I'm not picky when it comes to books; I read pretty much anything I get my hands on. I could give a list of the ones I finished recently though I'm sure I won't remember most of them.

Paulo Coelho: The Zahir, The Alchemist, By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept, The Winner Stands Alone
George RR Marting: Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast of Crows, Dance with Dragons
Christopher Paolini: Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr

Mitch Albom: The Five People You Meet In Heaven, For One More Day

There are more but I finished them years ago:
Hunger Games Series
Percy Jackson Series
Harry Potter Series

There are also classics/literary winners like:
To Kill A Mockingbird
Catcher in the Rye

Some Shakespear too.

Well, I might be missing some in the lists but I tell you, reading is fun, you learn a lot of things, and it is definitely worth picking up reading!  B)

My favourite books would probably be The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Cather in the Rye and the Artemis Fowl series. I must've have read the Artemis Fowl books at least five times, I was quite obsessed with those books. I actually don't read anymore, though.

I spent most of my time reading when I was younger, although I spend more time on VNs nowadays. I recently finished reading Perfume by Patrick Suskind, which was gloriously messed up in all the right ways. But a lot of the books I've been picking lately are nonfiction, since I tend to try and learn anything and everything I can about the subjects I get interested in at any given time(other recent reads for me are the Kurt Cobain biography Heavier than Heaven and The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero). 

That said, I do occasionally find fiction that I like, although I usually avoid sci-fi and fantasy (as I can't stand them 9 times out of 10). My taste in books is totally separate from my taste in anime and games, for whatever reason- if Madoka Magica and Gunslinger Girl (two series in my top ten) had been novels, I probably wouldn't have given them a chance.

Guest hairybumslapper

- Dav Pilkey's Captain Underpants & Super Diaper Baby Series

- J.K Rowling's Harry Potter Series

- Andy Griffith's JUST series

- Paul Jennings's Deadly! and Wicked! series

These four Authors were the highlight of my childhood.

-

Currently reading: Wilbur Smith's Wild Justice.

I really enjoy reading. When I was a kid I use to always get in trouble for always reading during class (they eventually gave up though). When I was a kid I was a huge fan of Harry Potter,Lord of the Rings and Series of Unfortunate Events. Now I find myself leaning more towards philosophy books like Meditations of First Philosophy, Beyond Good and Evil and I've been reading lots of Plato's works. My Uncle introduced me to Christian apologetics but I'm starting to find them boring to read. On the more fictional side of things I'm really into light novels like Sword Art Online and To Aru Majutsu no Index. 

In the family we are quite fond of Albert Camus.

My favorite book is "The stranger" (uncontested).

Sartre is also easy to read and very well written.

More casually i've read the eragon series which were entertaining to read but with a rushed and disappointing end in my opinion.

I tried to read Conan Doyle but Sherlock wasn't as impressive as I imagined him to be so i've only read a couple of his adventures.

I spent a lot of time reading as a child. My parents would take me to the public library each and every Monday during the summer and probably every two weeks during the school year. I was pretty eccentric as a kid because all through elementary school, I read nothing but non-fiction books espeically about dinosaurs, wars and airplanes. Even when I started reading more fiction books in middle school and high school, I still read a lot of technical books (web design, programming, etc).. During uniersity, I read mostly newspapers and news magazines.

Now, as a working professional, I read casually in my free time.

In the family we are quite fond of Albert Camus.

My favorite book is "The stranger" (uncontested).

*High fives*

Camus is great. I loved The Stranger, I loved La Chute, I loved his theater.

Sartre is also easy to read and very well written.

I've only read Les Mots, and it gave a really haughty opinion of him, although I have to admit it was an interesting read. But that plus the fact that I was told La Nausée was reaaaally indigestible didn't make me want to go further... Maybe I should one day... When I take time to read more again...

I probably have read too many books troughout my live. My major in university was history so counting only the ones I needed for my carreer would get me good pile.

It's curious that Kaguya likes the classics. I'd have never expected it from him.

If I had to recomend someone books that you should read before you die, those would be:

- El Quixote (the best novel ever)

- Tirant Lo Blanc (the best Knights tale novel ever written, this book was amazingly modern for its time with themes ranging from warfare to poltics, economy and romance)

- Jonathan Livingston Seagull ('tis a classic anyone should read at least once in their lifetime)

- The Kharamazov Brothers (pretty long and dense. I woulnd't recomend it unless you like reading a lot but it's the greatest reflection about human doubts I've seen in my whole life)

- 100 years of Solitude (a fantastic tale about human emotions. Magical realism at its finest. it's an absorbing read about how humans can lose thenselves into solitude).

PD: Since Maefdomn seems to like Albert Camus a lot, maybe I'll try giving a shot to "the stranger"...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing that I'm probably gonna accidentally necro a thread via having my thread merged with another old one, but I thought I might as well try.  What are your favorite books, and why?

I love The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  It was rather hard to read the first time through, but I love the dynamic between the father and the son, and the writing style is so bleak that it matches the book's setting.  It's a horribly depressing book, and is fairly disturbing in its content, but the bittersweet ending made my cry again and again.  Great book.

Next favorite is technically a series, but whatever.  I've been obsessed with the A Song of Ice and Fire series ever since I read A Game of Thrones.  I love the setting, I love how most of the characters are in shades of gray, and I also appreciate the fact that it's technically realistic fantasy.  Never really read a fantasy book where people were terrified of magic and avoided it at all costs.  I find it rather refreshing.  I wish there was more realistic fantasy out there.

Last one I can think of, off the top of my head, is Ender's Game.  Didn't really like its sequels, but the first book was golden.

Crime and Punishment and Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Regarding the Ender's Game series, I personally thought Speaker for the Dead was the height of the collection. Never read the Bean series though.

Regarding the Ender's Game series, I personally thought Speaker for the Dead was the height of the collection. Never read the Bean series though.
I gotta admit, Speaker for the Dead was the best of the sequels.  The others didn't exactly have the same feel of Ender's Game very well, and the weird sci-fi stuff in Xenocide and Children of the Mind.

If you liked the original series, then you'll probably like the Shadow Saga (aka Bean's series).  It explains how Peter consolidated all the power of Earth and took control, and also fleshes out Bean and Petra and several other characters.  Not important in regards to Ender's story, but still worth reading.

Can't name a single favorite book, but concerning series it would have to be David Eddings' Belgariad/Mallorean series. Simply because I just really like the central characters; they each have their own distinct personality, quirks, and their interactions are just so enjoyable to read. I admit I like the Mallorean part of the series a little more since I kind of like adult Garion better...and Zakath's surprisingly lovable.

I love The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  It was rather hard to read the first time through, but I love the dynamic between the father and the son, and the writing style is so bleak that it matches the book's setting.  It's a horribly depressing book, and is fairly disturbing in its content, but the bittersweet ending made my cry again and again.  Great book.

I read that during my sophomore year of high school (we did a semester-long focus on dystopian novels). I remember enjoying it a lot, although the writing style took getting used to.

As for my favorite book, I don't really think I have one- I've read a LOT of books over the years. But I remember liking Misery by Stephen King and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

Shinitai no ka?

Whoops, wrong question. Ah, let's see......recently, I read All you Need is Kill, since it's being made into an American movie. Good book. Mardock Scramble's pretty good too, as is the old 11th century novel Genji Monogatari. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. The Night Angel Trilogy. Haruhi Suzumiya Light Novels, as well as Spice and Wolf. I, Robot by Isaac Asimov, as well as I have no mouth and I must scream by Harlan Ellison.

That's only a few of my favorites.