Steam actually implements a real refund system

Zenophilious

KF2 will be worth it in the long term.

But that's why you don't buy early access games 

^Ninja Ken

I have like a dozen Early Access games I know all about it.

I have like 5 other games to play right now anyway.

Killing Floor 2 is like my only long-term investment well that and Toxikk, provided the

community resurfaces when it comes out of EA.

So.... from a visual novel dev's perspective... this seems like actually a really bad thing. Many of the games released by Sekai (or some by MangaGamer), and indie OELVNs released on steam can be finished in 1.5-3 hours. 

No bueno. Not from my perspective, anyway.

So.... from a visual novel dev's perspective... this seems like actually a really bad thing. Many of the games released by Sekai (or some by MangaGamer), and indie OELVNs released on steam can be finished in 1.5-3 hours. 

No bueno. Not from a VN perspective, anyway.

Sounds like a fantastic thing for us reviewers though  :illya:

Yeahhh...don't buy early access games unless you're 100% in love with the features already available.  I've bought two, and I doubt I'll ever buy another.  There's no real reason to...

No bueno. Not from my perspective, anyway.

I guess, but the alternative (letting people push trash through and scam people out of their money with no refunds) isn't really a desirable alternative.  Greenlight was especially bad in that regard.  Sure, it was a good thing for some people, but without some kind of refund option, it just plain doesn't work the way it was intended to.

Hate to say it, but it seems like if they don't want that happening, then they need to make their games longer.  I know that's not really a good option, but between that and letting everyone sell trash with a bow on it, I'm afraid I'm gonna choose refunds, although obviously I'm biased, as a consumer.

So, there is some controversy brewing over this policy. Initial results seem to look very bad for a few indie devs. The puppygames guys are on the forefront with pitchforks raised and them yelling to anyone who will listen about how badly it's screwing them over. Apparently 55% of their sales are being refunded. This is the highest reported percentage among all the devs who have shared numbers so far. 

Here are my thoughts on the matter, they're pretty harsh: So what? Here's the deal, Puppygames' games are kind of bad. They're flashy, shiny, they have an aesthetic that appeals to a lot of people, but the gameplay mechanics are often middling. I've seen many people talk about buying them because they look cool and coming away disappointed. The Puppygames owners are also total assholes. They badmouth their customers, literally calling them worthless. They have a history drumming up drama and talking shit about the customers who buy bundles with their games in them and then ask for support when they don't work properly. So, you know, what goes around comes around. They have a less than sterling PR track record and their games aren't very fun, so what do you know, refunds happen. 

So far I haven't seen many devs of short games complaining about the refunds. It's mostly been devs like puppygames who make longer, replayable games. You may no longer be able to get away with releasing garbage with a shiny coat of paint on Steam. This is not a bad thing. Many devs are crying about how people who don't like their games are asking for refunds, costing them a lot of money. Well, you know, that's how the cookie crumbles. Making bad games has been a sustainable business model on Steam until now. I will not mourn that era's passing.

guys you cant force a developer to make longer games, especially on VN. its true that most developers might make games longer but often times people can just skip cutscene, enemies, and quest. trying to make games longer is not an answer, i do believe most developers would stop using steam all because of that loophole. steam might take action on its own policy but that rarely happens, so most likely developers wont bother with steam any more. its getting worst and worst with steam, first it force developers to pay $100, pay again for greenlight, and now they must lose money whenever a player "feels" that the game is bad.

bad move steam bad move.