Finding the time for VNs

InvertMouse

VNs can often take a large number of hours to complete. With all of us living busy lives, I'm wondering how you guys schedule in your VN reading time. Do you read just a small portion per sitting? Or do you allocate time to sink in a good few hours per session?

I would imagine that hardcore VN readers would spend less time on anime, games, etc, even though those interest often cross over. If you're a hardcore VN reader, do you, say, drop a few more anime per session to free up more time? Just curious to know how we all go about it.

If title is great, I can keep reading for days with breaks only for food and sleep. Did MLA in single session, and Serawi's route in Kamidori in single session (played straight for 30 hours non-stop one day until it became painful to read, lol).

Some other titles, like Swan Song, sit on my reading list for monthes, I bite several scenes once in a while, then switch to something more enjoyable.

I'm doing freelance work, so usually pushing other stuff further in schedule is not a problem, but I don't start new VNs if there are deadlines nearby.

I normally play VNs at night, about 3 or 4 hours. I don't like to start playing and stopping soon after I started, it kills the mood. I enjoy spending a few hours without distractions.

As to manga, I read some weekly or monthly mangas, so it's not much of a problem to read them.

And as to anime, I do drop some animes that I think are nice, but nothing else, I don't want to spend more time than I want watching animes that are just nice. If I don't enjoy the anime or think it's amazing I'm probably gonna drop it.

For me, I split my free-time into

30% anime

30% light novel

25% Visual novel and

15% gaming.

And that usually results in playing VN 1-2 hours a day. That being said, the time spent per day on VN greatly depends on whether I like that VN or not. I spent my free-time 100% with VN when Rewrite came out.

You came up with quite an interesting topic :P

What about you yourself Mouse? How do you schedule your VN reading time?

Hmmmm, in the meantime I don't have much free time because my exams are right behind my back. However, usually I have about 5 hours of free time each day and I spend 1 and a half playing sports with my friends, not everyday though. All of the remaining time is dedicated to VN, Manga and Skype :lol: . I rarely watch Anime for various reasons.

I find myself doing things in bursts, so I will spend a few days blasting through VNs, maybe playing 2-3 back to back. Then I take a break from them and tend to go into reading books and watching an anime series or two. Usually I'll play some games in between all this.

It is handy having two monitors as I can usually rewatch some anime while playing a VN, its good if you've already really watched the anime and want to kind of rewatch it without putting all your focus into it.

Like some people above, the one I suffer from, now with just VN but anything is, I kind of have to focus on one thing, if I go and do something else, I seem to drop all interest in what I was doing before that point, so if I play a VN, I'll try and play it all through, even if that means over the course of a few days, all pretty much only do the VN.

You came up with quite an interesting topic :P/>

What about you yourself Mouse? How do you schedule your VN reading time?

Hmmmm, in the meantime I don't have much free time because my exams are right behind my back. However, usually I have about 5 hours of free time each day and I spend 1 and a half playing sports with my friends, not everyday though. All of the remaining time is dedicated to VN, Manga and Skype :lol:/> . I rarely watch Anime for various reasons.

Thanks for the reply everyone!

Rackshen, sadly, ever since I graduated from uni 5-6 years ago, I've barely played any VNs :(~ Not at home, anyway. I've played Utawarerumono on the go on the PSP. Same thing for 999 and Virtue's Last Reward. There are just too many other things to do when I'm home. Not that I've read these replies, though, I feel inspired to schedule in more VN time. Thanks guys B). I've read a few recommended titles here. Instead of trying to read a bunch of stuff, I should admit that I have limited time and jump onto the most highly regarded ones.

Aaeru, no, but must finish all the games; you're one of the VN leaders :(! Just playing :P~

Wow, some of you folks are serious VN readers. RusAnon, man, 30 hours straight :blink:? Beast!

I go through phases. If I get hooked on a VN in my VN phase, that'll be all I do in my free time til it's finished. I also go through MMO and English RPG phases, where I'll go long periods of time without touching VNs at all. But honestly, playing VNs via machine-assisted translation is very draining. It doesn't take a whole lot to distract me to something else.

I go through phases. If I get hooked on a VN in my VN phase, that'll be all I do in my free time til it's finished. I also go through MMO and English RPG phases, where I'll go long periods of time without touching VNs at all. But honestly, playing VNs via machine-assisted translation is very draining. It doesn't take a whole lot to distract me to something else.

Just imagining that hurts. You lose out on a lot, not to mention the machine translation may not even make sense unless you spend a lot of time combing through it.

My level of attention is variable. It's actually not all that hard to dredge meaning with a quick skim of the full-auto translation. I do this when I'm feeling lazy. When I'm feeling less lazy, I pronounce the Japanese and parse the meaning of individual words in JParser. This is more effortful, but also results in knowledge gain over time.

It's funny that you post this today, as I've been thinking about it a lot over the last 48 hours. The responses here are really interesting to me (not to mention that 30-hour wonder marathon). Thanks for making such a brilliant thread.

The priorities (wife, school, family, work, volunteering, kanji) make it so I have very little playing time, and then much of that goes to Fuwanovel. I've also got that VN we're making to balance. Consequently, I have only so much time for hobbies. Lately I've been trying to apply the Batman method to my life and focus on one free-time activity at a time. I just platinum'd the PSN game Guacamelee (had tons of fun) (and I'm TERRIBLE at platformers), and started another PSN game called Dragon Fantasy Book 1. Once that's finished, I'm going to hit the VN Rewrite.

As you can see, that doesn't allow for much VN playing or backlog-clearing. My solution to this is (only so long as I've done my Japanese anki reviews for the day) playing VNs on the train to school/work/volunteering. I use the VNDS app on my Nexus 7 android device to play classics like Fate/Stay Night, and soon Tsukihime. I'm working on perfecting a Katawa Shoujo android port for the community, too. Mobile VNs are truly the solution for my lifestyle, since mobility allows me to cram them into the wasted corners of my day.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more people's VN playing methods. I find it really fascinating!

Looking through here, I guess my method is pretty much like VN-Angels.

Most days' free time are time-sliced into anime time, VN time, and misc. time.

And occasionally there is a monopoly of one thing.

(Misc. time includes translation time or things like MAME or MESS)

I have manga time too but only on the weekends.

For me, I split my free-time into

30% anime

30% light novel

25% Visual novel and

15% gaming.

And that usually results in playing VN 1-2 hours a day. That being said, the time spent per day on VN greatly depends on whether I like that VN or not. I spent my free-time 100% with VN when Rewrite came out.

This is basically what I do with my free time except no time is spent on Light Novels. I enjoy them and have a few I'd be reading but I just don't want to spend the little free time I have on them. Come end of May, mid June when the summer holidays hit, my backlog WILL be conquered (hopefully).

As it is right now, my time is divided as such:

70% Gaming

20% Anime

10% Visual Novel

A majority of the week is spent playing games since I want to be actively doing something after a long day of classes. The only day I really watch anime is on Saturday which is when my college's anime club meet up. I sink a good 5 hours into anime during that time. And whenever the mood strikes me, I'll get a couple of scenes further in a given Visual Novel's common route. If I reach the character routes, I need to find a good time to sink hours into it.

I did the exact same thing as VN Angel did when I played Rewrite. I just couldn't stop once I got to the character routes, even foregoing sleep. I played until I finished a route.

I have a bad habit of starting too many games at the same time, and it's the same for visual novels. Whenever I see one that seems interesting I get the urge to at least try it. Unfortunately seeing as I work full time I only have a few hours to play/read every night (and sometimes I feel like going out to a friend's or simply doing something else), I end up having to put most of them on hold and I try to stick to a maximum of 2 or 3 VNs at a time. I try to spend at least 3 hours sessions on my current "main" whenever I have the time.

I'm also a longtime gamer, but VNs have more or less replaced my home gaming time, so I pretty much only game on the go nowadays. (currently playing Devil Summoner Soul Hackers) I also watch some anime, but I drop shows pretty fast if they seem uninteresting, and I keep most of my watch time for after I'm done gaming, when I'm tired.

god yeah, i usually plow through a 400 page book in about 2 days@normal pace and humbly consider myself a rather quick reader. but for VNs it usually takes an inexplicably long time for me to finish.

to name a few, narcissu took me like what, 5-6 hours lol? true remembrance 6-7 hours or something, katawa shoujo ~40 hours and little busters original like ~80 hours, making it effectively the longest game i've ever played...

i really like VNs, but ur definitely right, they just take such a huge chunk of free time and emotional investment, so i'm gonna lay low for a while...

If title is great, I can keep reading for days with breaks only for food and sleep. Did MLA in single session, and Serawi's route in Kamidori in single session (played straight for 30 hours non-stop one day until it became painful to read, lol).

Wowww, that's insane/impressive XD

I have like nooooooooo time to play these days as I just took on a second job O___O I like to take a good few hours so I can really immerse myself in the story, but that won't be possible for a while, so I'm just trying to get through stuff with a half hour here and there.

I thought about playing some on my commute, but I have to find something all-ages otherwise it would get kind of awkward with people looking over my shoulder on the train >.<

Wowww, that's insane/impressive XD

I have like nooooooooo time to play these days as I just took on a second job O___O I like to take a good few hours so I can really immerse myself in the story, but that won't be possible for a while, so I'm just trying to get through stuff with a half hour here and there.

I thought about playing some on my commute, but I have to find something all-ages otherwise it would get kind of awkward with people looking over my shoulder on the train >.<

Yeah, I played through Utawarerumono PSP on commutes a while back. During the rare ecchi CGs, I would go like (/u\)~