Gaming headset - Which one should I buy?

Satsuki

Just like what the title said, I'm looking for a new gaming headset. 

I'm not some crazy fan of luxury gears, so I would like something under 200$.

The sound must be good (obviously), don't really need surrounding sound (I never use it anyway, just totally screw up the directional sound).

It should have a flexible mic, or can be put away like the Razer Kraken Pro (don't like that one since it doesn't have in-line volume control), or at least something that won't break easily (the very reason for this topic is that I broke my Logitech G430's mic)

And it should be comfortable enough so I can wear it for a long period of time.

I actually did some research on some Logitech/Razer/Plantronics products, but all of the mixed reviews just totally confused me. This place talks positively, that place talks negatively, aghhh....

Just search and found out it even have a "V3". What exactly is the difference between them?

I don't think there is a big difference, they probably only improved some stuff. I remember checking it once but I wasn't that impressed, so if the prices are too different, going for a V2 is pretty much the best option.

If you want the best sound quality available, Sennheiser headsets are the way to go, they are top of the line in audio quality.

This company literally only makes audio eletronics for a living and their motto has always been to provide the best audio experience, you can expect high end quality devices.

They have better audio quality than Razer as well (note they're also more expensive so you might want to take that into account)

All of their gaming line of headsets can be seen here:

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset

Gaming headsets in general have poor audio quality and their only redeeming feature is the directional audio. If you really must have an headset pick up one from a company that also makes high end headphones like Sennheiser, Audio-Technica etc.

Well, when I was talking about buying a gaming headset, of course I want to use it mainly for gaming purpose, so directional audio for locating footstep, position, blah blah is more important for me than ultra-quality sound for rock-and-roll purpose. And I also said that I can't afford too expensive stuff, so high end gear is just not for me.

Well, when I was talking about buying a gaming headset, of course I want to use it mainly for gaming purpose, so directional audio for locating footstep, position, blah blah is more important for me than ultra-quality sound for rock-and-roll purpose. And I also said that I can't afford too expensive stuff, so high end gear is just not for me.

But a decent headset from a reputable company will give you a decent soundstage in which you have good directional audio and it enables you to differentiate different kinds of sounds a little bit better. Also under 200$ you will get plenty of high end options.

This Sennheiser game zero is on sale right now for example.

if you want something cheaper this is one of the few I would recommend outside of audio companies, the HyperX Cloud.

Btw although you don't like virtual surround it depends a lot on what kind of audio processing it does and what are the source files. On real stuff that's recorded on a stereo mic it usually screws stuff up, however on games it's usually otherwise. Since most games are using audio simulation anyway, all the software does is calculate what happens in the game environment and try to "apply direction" to it. On some games it's crappy on others it's a godsend. It varies a lot. But I can see where you are coming from though, I don't really use virtual surround apart from very specific cases.

P.S. - good job on giving me an erection with that youtube video you posted on the first post  :wafuu:

personally use a g430 myself, why not just buy that one again.

its a decent headset, and great for gaming.

It's just that I have a bad habit of wearing headset listening to music and then fall asleep, so the type of headset with hard mic like G430 will get broken easily (pretty sure my broken one was due to me sleeping right on it  :wacko: )

I use a cheap Creative Fatal1ty Pro (around 20€) as Headset. It's good enough for that. If I want to listen to music I use "real" Headphones. If you want some real quality stuff look at http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/, but thats not cheap. The most important thing is to test the stuff by yourself, only because it's more expensive mean that it is better for you. I prefer something with not so many bass (Sennheiser has too much bass for me) others like that. So try out by yourself and choose the one which you like them most, soundwise.

There are loads of good Headphone makers around. If you had the cash I'd recommend a high end open headphone with a DAC at the side, maybe with a amp depending on the cans. But that's not what you want so ok.

Gaming headphones have a big advantage of the locational of audio. Hearing footsteps etc, so if that's your priority I agree you should choose ones for gaming. I'd recommend staying away from the more half-assed attempts at making them imo, as almost everyone makes these kinds of headphones.. Personally I'd go for sannheiser. If you can try them out as well that's ideal. Because you'll prbly have them on for a while, it's nice to check if they fit your ears and head.

If you don't mind generic brands, these Photive headsets are excellent gaming headsets. Bluetooth wireless and made for listening to songs as well as making calls, it comes at a great price. The receiver and mic is crystal clear. Comfort-wise, I wore these all day, everyday for practically a year when I didn't have speakers. I still carry them around my neck every where I go, including work because I don't feel comfortable without them.

I have a friend who DJs for a living and he says the sound quality on this thing is amazing. I honestly just bought it for the price originally and didn't think I'd get such a bargain. 

http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Bluetooth-Headphones-Built--Battery/dp/B00HTPHK5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423925598&sr=8-2&keywords=headset+bluetooth+photive

If you don't mind generic brands, these Photive headsets are excellent gaming headsets. Bluetooth wireless and made for listening to songs as well as making calls, it comes at a great price. The receiver and mic is crystal clear. Comfort-wise, I wore these all day, everyday for practically a year when I didn't have speakers. I still carry them around my neck every where I go, including work because I don't feel comfortable without them.

I have a friend who DJs for a living and he says the sound quality on this thing is amazing. I honestly just bought it for the price originally and didn't think I'd get such a bargain. 

http://www.amazon.com/Photive-Bluetooth-Headphones-Built--Battery/dp/B00HTPHK5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423925598&sr=8-2&keywords=headset+bluetooth+photive

omg I always wanted one of these, I'll order it next month! Thank you sir, you're my new god!

lol I still have G430s for if I really need to have a built-in mic. If that's the level of audio quality you are looking for, you can buy good under $100 models from most reputable companies. As others have said, Sennheiser and Audio-Technica generally have the best quality mid-grade gear. If you're a PC gamer, you could also think of having a separate mic and thus get out of shopping in the shitty realm of 'gaming headsets'.

• 2 weeks later...