A'ight, this topic might as well be used to discuss Yuzusoft's upcoming release:

21990.jpg

https://vndb.org/v16044

HOWEVER, there is a greater problem afoot: What is this game called?

サノバウィッチ, of course. VNDB translates that as "Sanoba Witch," but there's some arguments for different titles.

One is "Sabbat of the Witch." As you can see on all of Yuzusoft's images popularizing the game, such as the one on the main page of their website, the English subtitle is "Sabbat of the Witch." That's pretty conclusive, right? However, those subtitle things often turn out to be meaningless for us English speakers, in which case a better title is applied and universally utilized. Not to mention Japanese people suck at English.

Let's think about what "Sanoba Witch" actually means, then: "Son of a witch." Yup. "Son of a bitch" is one of those English expressions that have carried on into Japanese, so the pun works in both languages. So, shouldn't "Son of a Witch" be the title? Perhaps that would be the most logical, but one might argue that it doesn't sound as natural to hear in English. For example, "Buenos Burritos" might be a catchy name for an establishment selling Mexican comestibles, but that's like saying "Good Burritos" to a Spanish speaker, which obviously doesn't hold the same aural appeal.

How about "Sanoba Witch"? The problem here is one of consistency, setting aside the matter that it doesn't convey the pun that some guy so cleverly came up with in the shower one day. If it were translated directly from the katakana in Japanese, サノバウィッチ, then it'd be "Sanoba Wicchi" or even "Sanoba Uicchi." In fact, the space between the two words is completely arbitrary, logically speaking; if it were going along with the pun, it'd be something like "San o ba Wicchi." Is "Sanoba Witch" catchy? Perhaps. However, this moderate policy is far from perfect, and even farther from sensible.

I'm positing an objective overview of this matter. I just want to incite flame wars.

Anyway, the trial edition is available on their website, and the full release is for February 27th. If you don't feel like downloading the trial, somebody uploaded Youtube videos of it, divided into several parts.

You have really latched onto that word, haven't you...

How about something like "salacious" for a change?

B-But I always use lewd, even in real life!

Salacious sounds like a girl dressed with cabbage leaves and Caesar salad dressing.

It's beautiful.

I like it simple and short though.

Hence, lewd.

Lewd embodies my very ideal.

It is the very foundation of my existence.

How lewd.

Thank you for the word. <3

• 11 months later...