Stray Cat

2 members have voted

1. 1. What anime will we watch?

• Utawarerumono
    • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    • Blood Lad
    • Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

This poll is closed to new votes

Has the voting really ended for the summer season? To my recollection we've had no confirmation and the poll is still up. Stray Cat is the one running this if I remember.

Stray Cat has left Fuwa for who knows how long. Until he comes back I'll be doing the confirmations and such, while Nosebleed has agreed to change the polls when needed.

So uhm...my mighty scores for Welcome to NHK:

Story 7/10

There is not that much of a plot actualy, a bunch of pepoles with problems gather together to...  face their problems ....if i had to describe it i would say it is a slice of life about complexes, sometimes its hilarious and sometimes it is depressing.

Characters 7/10

Maybe it is just me but the only two real characters here is Sato and Yamazaki, Senpai was just a cry-bitch (i still dont get whats her problem? She got good work, nice boyfriend and a lots of opportunities, why the hell she take so much pills and try to commit a suicide? Becase guy works to hard? Or was it becase Sato ignored her that one time on a rooftop? Jeez, what a crybaby) would rate her character as 5, or maybe even 4. On the other hand is Misaki, exactly opposite to Senpai, she got all the rights to feel miserable but instead she decided to do something about it (put all her faith in this baka Sato-kun) and even considering the fact her motto was a fear of beign useless and lonely she still played it nicely (though that love confession was a bit disturbing and had all the yandere vibes in it) and with her presence beign too fluen ill say shes around 6-7. And now its Sato-san, he was a decent character, he is smart, he is kind, he is wise and he got the will to do things, i still dont quite understand how he could become hikikomori with all those qualities, no, there was the time when i was uneployed otaku myself and i totaly understand the fear of getting a job or going to any new place filled with unknown peoples, but imo he was doing fine, the whole series even starts whith Sato-san going to get a job (and fate brings him in the only place where he didnt wanted to be - to Misaki), so i say it is a bit wierd for him to be like that, but nontheless its an 8 from me for Sato-san. And finaly it is the turn to THE BEST character of series, which is Yamazaki. Although Misaki tryed to help Sato-san as hard as she could, i belive the person who truly helped him with his hikikomory problem was Yamazaki. He gave him the taste of friendship which Sato-san seems to forgot, he pushed him to go outside and do stuff among other peoples, he gave him the purpuse of creating a script to eroge and the most important one he is dissapeared at one day. This and a growing hunger is the exact reasons why Sato-san left that empty building and get himself a job ( ofcourse its mostly due to the lack of money, but everything Sato did with Yamazaki is helped for sure). So ill give him a nine (yes, thats more than main character got).

Soundtrack 8/10

OST is prety good and its sets mood realy good too, its not like im gonna download it rightaway, but it is  for sure one of the parts which make the show so good.

Art-style 7/10

Totaly not a shaft level, but hey, it was 2006 and i think it is pretty good even compared to some of a newones, so ill say its a solid seven.

Enjoyment 8/10

I realy enjoyed the show, this comedy+dramma contrast was done realy good. Personaly my favorite part was the MMORPG one, where Yamazaki pretented to be a cat-girl and Sato-san totaly fall for it (MMORPG=many mans online roleplaying girls). Also the eroge stuff feels so right becase of fuwa forums :makina: And the happy end was so well done, its just...felt so good, almost cried when "Welcome to NHK!" appeared at the end.

Overall 8/10
I enjoyed this show when i was unemployed-otaku myself, i enjoyed it when i am employed-otaku now, and i guess this is one of the top 100 anime you should watch no mater what, it feels so light at first, but it have some deeper meanings in it (to put it short: stop crying and do something!) and it is so fulfilling at the end. Good stuff.

Well, done with NHK

I really liked how the show sailed between drama and comedy constantly. At one point it was making fun of the character and shortly afterwards playing their problems straight. That kind of wavering mood made it fun to watch.

My favorite parts were the ones about Sato's hikkikomori life. The parts about galge, games, doing useless projects and living with financial support form parents hit pretty close to home. More so, when I actually had fights my parents about what I'm going to do in the future at the time I was watching the show.

Still NHK wasn't as brutal about depictions as I initially expected, from what I heard about the show before, it seemed like the would make hikkikomori's seem like worst scum. The way the showed the problems was actually gentler than I thought.

The characters were really good, especially the Senpai and Yamazaki. They had such good chemistry with Sato. I never really liked Misaki, I can see why she could be interesting, but her personality annoyed me and so did the way they dumped her background problems in almost one go near the end. It felt little too sudden and you never get any tangible feel about her character. Could be intentional, but it bothered me still.

Only thing that really bothered me were the visuals. They were pretty inconsistent and outright awful at times. There were times when the animation looked really good and fluid, although not very sharp because of the low resolution. And then there were times when the show looked painfully bad with dreadfully drawn models and blurry/unclear lines.

Well, done with NHK

Only thing that really bothered me were the visuals. They were pretty inconsistent and outright awful at times. There were times when the animation looked really good and fluid, although not very sharp because of the low resolution. And then there were times when the show looked painfully bad with dreadfully drawn models and blurry/unclear lines.

Honestly if you consider the inconsistent and outright awful at time visuals as a statement of where the main character's state of mind is at the time it actually helps. I do not however think that is what they were going for.

So uhm...my mighty scores for Welcome to NHK:

Characters 7/10

Maybe it is just me but the only two real characters here is Sato and Yamazaki, Senpai was just a cry-bitch (i still dont get whats her problem? She got good work, nice boyfriend and a lots of opportunities, why the hell she take so much pills and try to commit a suicide? Becase guy works to hard? Or was it becase Sato ignored her that one time on a rooftop? Jeez, what a crybaby) would rate her character as 5, or maybe even 4. On the other hand is Misaki, exactly opposite to Senpai, she got all the rights to feel miserable but instead she decided to do something about it (put all her faith in this baka Sato-kun) and even considering the fact her motto was a fear of beign useless and lonely she still played it nicely (though that love confession was a bit disturbing and had all the yandere vibes in it) and with her presence beign too fluen ill say shes around 6-7. And now its Sato-san, he was a decent character, he is smart, he is kind, he is wise and he got the will to do things, i still dont quite understand how he could become hikikomori with all those qualities, no, there was the time when i was uneployed otaku myself and i totaly understand the fear of getting a job or going to any new place filled with unknown peoples, but imo he was doing fine, the whole series even starts whith Sato-san going to get a job (and fate brings him in the only place where he didnt wanted to be - to Misaki), so i say it is a bit wierd for him to be like that, but nontheless its an 8 from me for Sato-san. And finaly it is the turn to THE BEST character of series, which is Yamazaki. Although Misaki tryed to help Sato-san as hard as she could, i belive the person who truly helped him with his hikikomory problem was Yamazaki. He gave him the taste of friendship which Sato-san seems to forgot, he pushed him to go outside and do stuff among other peoples, he gave him the purpuse of creating a script to eroge and the most important one he is dissapeared at one day. This and a growing hunger is the exact reasons why Sato-san left that empty building and get himself a job ( ofcourse its mostly due to the lack of money, but everything Sato did with Yamazaki is helped for sure). So ill give him a nine (yes, thats more than main character got).

She may have had a good job but not a

good work environment. Her boss was an ungrateful bastard, the other female employees insult her on a daily basis and a there was a creep who wanted to date her. That's not something to be happy about if you ask me. The boyfriend part was because she was feeling neglected because he had to do a lot of work and wasn't sparing any time for her. This small problem is put on top of the work place problem. What opportunities do you mean? It's not explained what the pills are for, but I suspect they were for depression or something like that. I feel like you're judging her too harshly.

Uhm, no ... if you do a job and then guy in the counter says "just throw it away, noone need it" you still need to give those papers in. Some creep have hots for a good looking girl? Who cares, guys like attractive womens no matter how those guys looks, plus you can always push him back if he becomes too friendly. The girls badmouthing her? Nothing new here, girls always badmouth eachothers behind their backs. What i ment by opportuniny is to find yourself a hobby, you got monneh for it, you got spare time for it, why instead of...i dunno ...music, she decided to stick to antidepresants and suicide threads on forums. Thats what i meant, if you dont like something in your life, you should try to change it, not  kill yourself.

She may have had a good job but not a

good work environment. Her boss was an ungrateful bastard, the other female employees insult her on a daily basis and a there was a creep who wanted to date her. That's not something to be happy about if you ask me. The boyfriend part was because she was feeling neglected because he had to do a lot of work and wasn't sparing any time for her. This small problem is put on top of the work place problem. What opportunities do you mean? It's not explained what the pills are for, but I suspect they were for depression or something like that. I feel like you're judging her too harshly.

Uhm, no ... if you do a job and then guy in the counter says "just throw it away, noone need it" you still need to give those papers in. Some creep have hots for a good looking girl? Who cares, guys like attractive womens no matter how those guys looks, plus you can always push him back if he becomes too friendly. The girls badmouthing her? Nothing new here, girls always badmouth eachothers behind their backs. What i ment by opportuniny is to find yourself a hobby, you got monneh for it, you got spare time for it, why instead of...i dunno ...music, she decided to stick to antidepresants and suicide threads on forums. Thats what i meant, if you dont like something in your life, you should try to change it, not  kill yourself.

In the end, everything depends on the person and his ability to cope with his situation. A lot of decisions can be influenced by your environment alone, and your mental state can greatly affect your decision making. In short, we might be able to say all that stuff about what one should have done or something, but in the end, we cannot truly comprehend why a person would go and do stuff until we're put in the shoes of that person himself. We can only see things through our perspective and several makeshift perspectives, anyway. There's no right answer. 

I still believe that suicide is a stupid decision though.However, I'll respect a person's decision making . In the end, one can only stop someone from committing suicide by being utterly selfish and preventing his death or by convincing that person that he's making a bad choice.

Shikomizue, on 18 Jul 2015 - 2:13 PM, said:

The poll will be up sometime today, voting starts then. *crosses fingers hoping there won't be a tie*

Just in case..whats gonna happen if there will be a draw?

Unless thers some awesome consequences to the draw ill just vote for this 69 thing.