Stray Cat

2 members have voted

1. 1. What anime will we watch?

• Utawarerumono
    • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    • Blood Lad
    • Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

This poll is closed to new votes

I finished it. Had the day off the last two days so decided why not re-watch Fantastic Children...and so I did so. I still really enjoy this anime...hopefully none of you are trying to watch it dubbed.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems whomever made the poll hated the series and while that is your prerogative I also respectfully disagree and believe you should have an unbiased polling because currently none of the results received can be deemed usable because you are trying to influence people before they even vote. I cannot use this poll for research purposes the way it is. I do have to admit I did not watch the series until late into college so it is highly doubt I would have appreciated it as much had I first seen it in high school or even my early college years. To the people who did dislike it what exactly did you dislike about it? 

Alice was the woman following the detective around.

Also why no Soreto in the grill list?

To the people who did dislike it what exactly did you dislike about it? 

Well, there was a post about why i didnt liked it...but it is gone now...so...in short, the whole thing makes no sense (why all souls go to earth if they in same univers with their homeplanet? why transfer your "soul" into innocent peoples and ruin their lives instead of using spaceship?if they wanted Helga back why not just coop with Dumas? or why not just create another "zone weapon"? and etc), 1/3 of the cast is irrelevant to the story, and at the end they achieved nothing (noone goes nowhere and humans will continue their experiments one way or another)

To put it short, they failed to make a good use of their setup and ruined it intsead. Its not like i hated it, but i was realy dissapointed.

It seems whomever made the poll hated the series and while that is your prerogative I also respectfully disagree and believe you should have an unbiased polling because currently none of the results received can be deemed usable because you are trying to influence people before they even vote. I cannot use this poll for research purposes the way it is. I do have to admit I did not watch the series until late into college so it is highly doubt I would have appreciated it as much had I first seen it in high school or even my early college years. To the people who did dislike it what exactly did you dislike about it?

I apologize, I was trying to joke around but obviously it was not perceived as such or was even funny. While I can't say I hated it, the show did nothing to interest me even after 7 episodes. If there's nothing to keep me intrigued, what's the point of even watching it?

Also why no Soreto in the grill list?

I didn't watch all of the show so sorry if I missed someone.

To the people who did dislike it what exactly did you dislike about it?

As we described before the rollback, the show is all over the place. It has inconsistent writing, plot holes, rushed characters, and all around an average at best plot executed poorly.

I'm the type of person who will sit and watch and enjoy pretty much anything as long as it isn't idol/SoL type stuff aimed at 30 year old otaku perverts, and even I found this show poor.

To anyone who watched Fantastic Children to the end if you did not watch the DVD version and even if you did you may have ended up missing the extended epilogue which I recommend watching to give a bit of a better wrap-up.

spoilers

The last few episodes in the series answers nearly all the questions and issues you had with it and do not forget to watch the extended ending. 

You have to understand that Fantastic Children was not a romance, an epic mystery or even a fantasy type of show but rather it's entire purpose and the overall story was one of Redemption. Not every anime is about the main character hooking up with someone.

To anyone who watched Fantastic Children to the end if you did not watch the DVD version and even if you did you may have ended up missing the extended epilogue which I recommend watching to give a bit of a better wrap-up.

The last few episodes in the series answers nearly all the questions and issues you had with it and do not forget to watch the extended ending.

You have to understand that Fantastic Children was not a romance, an epic mystery or even a fantasy type of show but rather it's entire purpose and the overall story was one of Redemption. Not every anime is about the main character hooking up with someone.

The last few episodes just made the entire thing even more convoluted. If the entire show was about redemption them they could have cut 70% of the scenes with the scientists, Dumas, the inspectors, and even the GED and made the series 11 episodes and it would have been better for it. As it stands, the show used romance as a key plot mechanism for developing the redemption and failed because of too many unneeded elements that polluted the purpose of the show.

Im not sure what version i saw...but at the end..

They all turned normal and that "masked" man hooked up with Helga, is it the one? Also, i dont agree about Redemption stuff, it would be the story about Redemption if Touma's drama happened around episode 7 and was developed into something, but it happened at the very end and didnt affected story very much (im pretty sure Dumas wouldv saved Helga too and since all the memories will be wiped in a couple of years, nothing realy happened)

Im not expected any romance...i expected mystery and the beginning was pretty good at making this kind of setup..ghosts, experiments, corporations, "immortal" childrens...it was very promising, but after flashback everything was ruined....what wouldv maked it better? Lets say for example: Helga was not transported and died, scientists was trying to escape from new king and the only way to do it is to transfer to earth, Dumas chasing them to get the knowledge on the zone experiments, also using GED to try and create alternative zone experiment, Touma meet Helga and they accidently bumping into one of scientists, they remember stuff, they trying to stop Dumas, spaceship appear, detective+ged sabotage the ship, duma betrays his father...and well you can keep the outcome of final episode as it was) plus also find a way for those shadow thing to be a bit more explained and used as menacing entity.

Answering a few questions people often have about certain terminology in Fantastic Children.

First thing I'll answer a simple question; What exactly are the Enma/Shadow things?

For this a bit of real world knowledge is required. Enma is the Japanese name for Yama the ruler of the underworld in Hinduism. It is unclear if enma is a single entity or not and it often appears as large number of dark cylindrical forms. Some descriptions also attribute Enma to the God of the Universe which seeks to maintain balance and restore it when said balance is lost. Enma also determines right and wrong which is why it is constantly hounding the children who have definitely done wrong.

The reason the children are constantly being followed by the Enma is because they have destroyed the balance of the universe. The main role of the Enma in the series is to maintain the balance and to keep each soul where it belongs and preventing them from going to different zones or remaining alive when they shouldn't. The children of Befort are in violation with the universe balance. They have retained memories of their past lives and are essentially destroying the lives of the children they reincarnate into. The Enma uses illusions to try and coax the children to return to their everyday lives and forget about their past life and live as the new people that they are.

Orsel on the other hand is the life force in all living things and both the Grecian scientists and the GED organization utilize Orsel to bring people back from the Zone (the land of the dead). Because of the high levels of Orsel that are required to bring someone back a person can become very unstable if the person cannot control its emotions...this is why the children for a large part of the series try to check their emotions. Orsel can be turned into a weapon which is what was being done near the end of the series. 

The autozone is the machine in which the Grecian scientists used to cheat death and bring someone back from the zone. It can send someone through the zone and bring them back out of it. The GED gets a hold of this technology thanks to Gherta (because of who she is) but it ends up having dangerous side-effects.

The series is primarily about redemption, reincarnation, death, and love but not in the typical sense. The redemption is for the "children" including Dumas as much as it is for Thoma. The epilogue is quite telling because it shows the children returning to their new lives and forgetting about their past...which is why the Enma stopped trying to correct them by the end.

The Detective was also a great character because it was through him that we got to see the affects that the "children" left on the people around them in each reincarnation and the damage that they caused. 

I personally loved the soundtrack even if a lot of it got used too much at places the music generally fit with what was happening in the show. The dub is godawful so hopefully you all watched it subbed; some of the characters have less of a purpose than others. The show was rushed near the end so take that in mind.

It's not the easiest story to follow and a lot of the story you have to ignore some of the minor contrivances of the plot and characters but in my opinion it's a great anime although definitely not for everyone. It requires quite a bit of thinking. I have admittedly watched the anime five times now and have been understanding it more and more with each viewing. It might not be for everyone but the people who do enjoy it definitely know why they do. 

So, the electing company for this cycle's genre is on the roll, huh? Okay!

Vampire

Do we realy need another opportunity to push Rosario+Vampire on the vote? :sachi:

Drama

Sad things are....sad. :vinty:

Slice of Life

Hm....this might be the thing ...summ it up with "music" and we'll be watchin K-On! all over again :makina:

Adventure

<_<  Last cycle was sort of adventure too....so....yea... :sachi:

Ill stick to slice or music this time ^_^

So, the electing company for this cycle's genre is on the roll, huh? Okay!

Do we realy need another opportunity to push Rosario+Vampire on the vote? :sachi:

Sad things are....sad. :vinty:

Hm....this might be the thing ...summ it up with "music" and we'll be watchin K-On! all over again :makina:

<_<  Last cycle was sort of adventure too....so....yea... :sachi:

I think Stray once said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o6c1UuoMwI

Blame RNG-esus, not me.