Stray Cat

2 members have voted

1. 1. What anime will we watch?

• Utawarerumono
    • Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
    • Blood Lad
    • Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu

This poll is closed to new votes

Okay, so I was obviously to hyped and emotional to wait for Monday, so here they are, my Mighty Scores for Katangatari!

Katanagatari_anime-wallpaper.jpg

First of all, before i give scores, i will summarise the story how i understood it, feel free to argue with me and post your own interpritations of what this story realy was about.

I'll start with assumption, i will assume Shikizaki Kiki planned EVERYTHING and everything happened EXACTLY as he planned it, so i will call my interpritation:

The Destiny Route.

In the past there was a man named Shikizaki Kiki, he had a gift to forsee the future and he saw how Japan met its demise, and then he decided to defy this fate and create "another" future. His plan was to replace one shogun (who was the ruler in his visions) with another(which was not suposed to rule) but to do so he needed a weapon, a sword capable to strike this shogun down. In his search of such a weapon, he used his gift and crafted many weapons with technologies of the future, among which was 12 perfect blades. But those weapons was too dangerous to ordinary humans to handle them, they posessed too much power which corrupted mans and he couldnt just let them be, and thats how the final, 13th sword was born. This sword is the thing Shikizaki Kiki was aiming for from the beginning, his role was to fulfill Kiki's goal of striking down the shogun and in process destroy all other swords he created, completely removing his interfernece from "new" world. To save this sword from corruption of other swords Kiki put a "curse" on him, Masters of Kyouto-ryu can not wield a sword, this style was specially designed this way by Kiki himself. Every event from that point to the beginning of first episode was a preparation to craft the ultimate final sword named Yasuri Shichiko. To do so Shichiko needed to be trained and tempered as a sword, he needed skills and resolve to do what he was suposed to do, and that is where Togame's role goes in. She is the means neccesary to turn a perfect sword into ultimate. She forces Shichiko to interract with other swords and their masters, she teaches him(sometimes indirectly) about the world, shogun, swords, feelings, friends, relatives and humans. She raises his temperature to the maximum just to put him in a dead cold water afterwards, creating the ultimate Shikizaki's sword. And as I already said, this whole thing was planned from the beggining by Shikizaki Kiki. Everything except the outcome. In the end, nothing realy worked as he wanted. Shogun was dead

but nothing changed, he was replaced by the relative. Swords was destroyed, but ultimate sword still survived (i am sure Kiki was expecting Shichiko to die in the end too). And all those deaths, sorrow and hatred was in a vain. In the end Shikizaki's plan to defy the fate failed leaving a really bittersweet taste of chiriyo~

The final part of which i am not absolutely sure is Togame and Hitei relationships, but as i see it they were both decendants of Shikizaki Kiriko, hers my reasons:

1) Byoriko, it was said this puppet was made after an image of woman Kiki loved, Byoriko's eyes have same colors as Tagame's parents.

2) This could also explain why Togame's father was leader of revolution, he tried to change fate with his own power, but was stopped by Kyoutu-ryu in favor

of Kiki's original plan.

3) She wears similiar clothes as Kiki in a flashback

I also couldv connected ALOT of things characters (sword masters) said in their episodes and things what actually happened, but it would be too much even for my mighty scores, i am still willing to bring them in discussion if we will have any :illya:

So, after you understand how i saw this tory, here are my mighty scores!

Story 10\10

I am a huge fan of monagatari series, i realy like how literature-like they are, how deeply they are created and since thisone comes from the same aouthor is not surprise i liked thisone aswell. The story of adventure and love, happines and sorrow, lonelieness and friendship, desires and duties,

life and death. It is fucking brilliant! twelve swords out of ten.

Characters 10\10

Protagonists, ManiWanis, Sword-masters and everyone else, i love them, they are so fitting and well designed and worked so well together. 12 Mani Wani Masters out of 10.

I have my regrets about Mani Wanis, i liked them a bit too much, their resolve to die for the case and attitude of Hoo-sama was priceless, and they werent even bad guys they was collecting swords for the sake of their village, unfortunately for them their presence was dangerous to the plan of Kiki, so they was all killed just forthat reason only.

Also if go a bit further, there is actualy was NO bad guys in this story, they all was a puppets and victims to Shikizaki's plans, so i will call him the only bad guy in this series.

And also the moment of Togame's death.... i shiped them so hard...i likes this tsun tsun so much.... i almost cried.... i feel you on thisone, Shichiko-dono...

Soundtrack 8\10

Soundtrack was good, openings was good, endings was good (btw, do you guys noticed how endings are everytime diffirent and have stuff from episode in them? no? go watch em again then)

The only reason its not 10\10 is becase i cant realy remember any track, yes they ws good and fitting, but not memorable.

•Art-style 10\10

Art style was quite special, in a good way, it was stylish yet simple, emotions and fights was drawn really good too, backgrounds...sick moments, bloody moments, fast moments everything was done realy stylish and colorfull. Design of characters was awesome too. twelve colors out of ten (teehee :sachi: )

Enjoyment 10\10

I am really enjoyed the show.. like REALLY... i wouldv had sex with it if i could :yumiko: If fact what 50 minute episode feels like 15 minutes one is not enough, then i just...dont even.... :amane: i dunno, it was so good i dont have enough words for it. twelve words of praise out of ten.

Overall 10\10

Deep, interesting and heartbreaking story, good stuff. I dont think iv seen something better since the FMA's ending....and im talking about FMA manga. twelve chiriyo~ out of ten. If you dont saw it yet, you must, as Shia says "Just do it!"

1280px-MapleStory.SVG.png

I still laugh every time I see his outfit.

I feel like I should watch Katanagatari again to spot all the finer details and sort my thoughts, but whatever. Here are my random thoughts about the show.

The characters are glorious. Everyone is so distinctly different, from appearances to unique speech patterns and eyes. All of the swordholders and Maniwani were pretty well developed, not everyone to same extent, but at least there weren't any forgettable characters. Each had their own goals and ambitions, and like Zebhra said, there wasn't really bad guys in Katanagatari. Which is a good thing, since it's much more interesting when grey morality clashes. 

The story was pretty amazing. The overall scale of the show gradually changed from sword hunt to something bigger, while the "one sword/episode"-format stayed the same. The mysteries slowly unfolded, and even though some of the answers were new mysteries on their own, the conclusion wasn't disappointing. Not all secrets are need to be known and I'm happy with that. Although Togame's left eye still bugs me. What was up with that? It was eye of snake of sorts and I think it showed up when Togame's real, calculating personality surfaced or something.     

And I just really like the writing. Long dialogues, philosophical ramblings and just the dramatic presentation. The conversations Shichika had with the holy man in ep. 10 are probably the best examples of this. You get to know the characters better through these little enigmatic and at times abstract exchanges. To me these small glimpses to characters personality are interesting. It's nice when the show doesn't explicitly spell out everything to you, but leave you guessing. 

I also have soft spot for the dramatic word switching and other tricks like that, so the grandiose introductions and speeches were just pure awesome to me.

Visual were good as well, the colorful and little out of the norm aesthetic really fits the show. I especially liked the creative cuts and perspectives, like vanishing with a floating leaf and stuff like that. The fighting scenes were exiting as well, especially the final showdown in the shogun's castle and the preceding fights. Fight against Nanami was awesome as well, but that was mostly because of the intimidating background. Camera panning across the giant statue of a sword buddha, illuminated by the flickering lights of 300 candles, there was something really powerful in that. My other favorite was the shot of Hitei-hime lying sideways on top of her hair, it was just so strangely captivating. 

I kinda grew bored of Togame the longer the show went. At first her antics were pretty funny, but around ep.9 her and Shichika's relationship started to feel little stale. The jokes were pretty much the same, and there hadn't been any good character development between them. Sure, Shichika grew more humane, but Togame was still the same. For story reasons it's understandable that Togame didn't change, but I couldn't have know that and it was still boring nonetheless. I was more looking forward to Shichika interacting with other characters like he did with Zanki. 

Togame's death came as a pretty big surprise, but I was actually little relieved. And Shichika was definitely coolest after that, so it really was a win-win situation for me.

Also Hitei-Hime > Togame.

I don't really like grading things, so my rating is little different. Following picture should sum up my feelings pretty well.

Zanki_Flowers.gif

(That pun though, way too adorable)

Finished Katanagatari 

It was definitely a great anime. I have no complaints with how it ended. I was a bit worried about how they'll finish it but now I feel that it was done splendidly.

The irony isn't lost on me that Shikizaki Kiki made 12 perfected blades and then his final completed blade Kyoutoryuu was meant to break all the previous ones.

The last fight was amazing, have absolutely no complaints about it. 

Aaaaaaaand what a way to deliver the final hit ............ CHEERIO

Okay, i just realised, we have a seasonal cycle too and the last episode of Gangsta is aproaching rapidly, and i didnt even watched a single ep :o

Dammit, why time flow so fast?! :vinty:

Also when will we vote for next seasonal cycle thing? At the same time as the usual cycle? And btw when it is? 20th september?

Okay, i just realised, we have a seasonal cycle too and the last episode of Gangsta is aproaching rapidly, and i didnt even watched a single ep :o

Dammit, why time flow so fast?! :vinty:

Also when will we vote for next seasonal cycle thing? At the same time as the usual cycle? And btw when it is? 20th september?

This cycle will end on the 23rd of Sep. We'll vote for a new seasonal anime when the current one is finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, the poll is up.

And now for my scores:

Story: 9/10

The story was definitely well crafted with a few twists here and there, though, I feel like the story was losing steam mid-way through. There wasn't much exciting going on for awhile, but once it got to the end, it picked up fast and awesomely.

Characters: 10/10

The characters, like the story, are well made, so well made, that I can completely overlook the skipping of the fight I was most looking forward to in the beginning. So well made, that I was rooting for some of the "bad guys".

Art: 9/10

The art-style was definitely unique and interesting. I especially liked the eye design.

Soundtrack: 9/10

The soundtrack was amazing and some were very epic. This one reminds me of Samurai Champloo for some reason:

Since Gangsta is ending tomorrow, I figured I would put out my seasonal recommendation today to attempt to get it started.

The only decent original this season that seems to have a solid base is Concrete Revolitio. As usual, I don't like to recommend manga/light novel series due to them usually being translated.

Alternatives include Sakurako and Perfect Insider; also due to them being currently untranslated.

So...i was thinking about what i can suggest... ended up in google again and here are my THREE (yes, thats alot :sachi: ) suggestions:

1) Persona 4 :makina: becase... why not?

2) Blood Lad... maybe? Becase i used a couple of different sites and some of them were saying its fantasy and some of em were saying its supernatural... so i let the big boss to decide :sachi:

3) Kill la kill? :makina: becase..... nudisto beeeeeeach :makina:

1) Persona 4 :makina: becase... why not?

2) Blood Lad... maybe? Becase i used a couple of different sites and some of them were saying its fantasy and some of em were saying its supernatural... so i let the big boss to decide :sachi:

3) Kill la kill? :makina: becase..... nudisto beeeeeeach :makina:

Persona 4: Not even fantasy. Supernatural, super power, Sci-Fi, but not fantasy.

Blood Lad: This might be subjective, but vampires are more like supernatural beings rather than fantasy ones. (Although the plot does sound slightly interesting)

Kill la Kill: Again, not even fantasy. It's clearly a super power anime.

The only possibly acceptable anime from your suggestions is Blood Lad, and that's not even fantasy. What site are you using to look for anime info? My Anime List is what I'm going off of.