H-Scenes. Really necessary?

Tay

To me this is a really simple topic. H-scenes are usually fanservice. You don't need to like it. If you don't, you can fast forward. But there are people who do, maybe even ones who get the game just to see those H-scenes. And then there are even those H-scenes that are properly incorporated into the story making the scene crucial for the development of story and more importantly the character in question (since sex tends to bring one closer to another, right?). Therefore, if I were to choose either necessary or unnecessary, they are necessary. Including the scenes to save money/make more profit is also an important outside factor. I understand the other perspective though. I have encountered games before where it started off quite authentic and sophisticated and then the sex just toned down the entire level of it making the atmosphere change from relatively serious and straight to plain moe-ge. I will simply try to adapt as much as possible and have usually succeeded so far, but then there are times I had to tilt my head. That's the time I will try to shut off my brain and just try enjoy the scene as much as possible, or if it's really bad, like I first said, fast forward it.

Yea, but if they already have 4 releases for 18+ versions of same title why not make a 5th one all-ages one, it's not like they will get a lot more with one more 18+ releases of the same title when they already have a bunch of them.

Most of these 'versions' are just different packaging or something though, they don't usually change the game. Companies just don't see the point in releasing an all-ages version. It would be great if some of them would try it, sure, but these companies aren't big enough to be taking risks like that. Also even if they do release an all-ages version, it will still be connected to the 18+ version, so it will probably still put people looking for non-adult games off buying it when they google it and see a load of H-scenes.

As Steve mentioned, these games are made for a Japanese market, where this kind of sex sells. If you want less H content then your best bet is to focus on the Western VN developers and support them, and try and get more all-ages stuff made that way.

I honestly prefer when there are H-scenes, it feels better to finish a route when the main character and the girl you want end together and have sex, not just kiss, like in the animes.

Even so, I fast forward most of the H-scenes, because I like it that the character go that far, but I don't necesarily want to see it at the moment, but I'm glad they do it xD

I played If My Heart Had Wings (the all-ages version) and it left a bad taste, because after everything they go through they just kiss, that's why some day I'm gonna replay it with the patch for the H-scenes

Most of the time I don't think h-scenes are really all that necessary to the plot. There is times when they are necessary though like in If My Heart Had Wings

In the childhood friend route when they are sleeping together but she can't say I love you. I think the h-scenes add to the frustration that the MC is feeling instead of just the uncertainty.

Actually I was thinking and I found out that it is actually important for H-scenes to not have story elements inside them.

Here is why:

When I'm reading H scenes, after a while I try to pay much closer attention to the voice and the CG, which means I don't pay much attention to the male lines and narration (in nukiges I auto skip those).

The reason is that you are trying to fap and what usually excites me is the voice and the CG + some of the occasional words from the protagonist like "I love you" and such, which means you only want to skim through the line and focus on the image and changes to that.

If there were important story elements in such scene, it would either be bad for the fap if you focused on those or you would risk missing those important elements.

So yeah, the only story element you get from H-scene should be "there was sex" that can be referred later for story progression, but inside the actual H-scene should just be nice words like I love you, lot of moaning and such ;)

i skip h-scenes where they moan/slurp so damn over the top that it gets annoying

i do like it quiet as possible with all kinds of different positions

Urgh yeah, so much of it is over the top. And I hate when the girl just sounds either like a) a baby or b) like she's in pain or c) a baby in pain. None of those are sexy :/ When it's those kind of noises I can't imagine she's enjoying it at all! Oh and the slurping... *shudder*

i skip h-scenes where they moan/slurp so damn over the top that it gets annoying

i do like it quiet as possible with all kinds of different positions

Urgh yeah, so much of it is over the top. And I hate when the girl just sounds either like a) a baby or B) like she's in pain or c) a baby in pain. None of those are sexy :/ When it's those kind of noises I can't imagine she's enjoying it at all! Oh and the slurping... *shudder*

ROLF! 

I agree. Also, in real life, things are not life that... Well, sure Japanese like baby-like-moaning girls... but ok, it's a fiction work after all.

But I also dislike the neverending H-scenes,  when they last more than 5 min, some of them lasting up to 15 minutes of reading and you have to waste like 2~4 mins clicking fast to skip them... I'm the kind of person that reads all the text and listen all the voices, and when that happens is really a pain.

--

I loved Kanon because you can skip the H-scenes (choice) without affecting the main plot. If all eroges would have that kind of choices, it would be awesome.

at the end it comes to how well something is done based to you personal preferences

hell i would read a visual novel even if had no sexual content, but it had to be really something special (didnt found anything like that yet, saya no uta was great even if it had almost zero h-scenes)

well of course is based on personal preferences.. But they can complete the story sometimes, even if often they are a bit forced or exaggerated.... I don't like them at all if there is no context around it (except Nukige ofc, they are made for it) or when the context would, in a real situation, turn quite different..

at the end it comes to how well something is done based to you personal preferences

hell i would read a visual novel even if had no sexual content, but it had to be really something special (didnt found anything like that yet, saya no uta was great even if it had almost zero h-scenes)

Steins;Gate is a great read without any H-scene. Also, you seem to like gore so Umineko is another option.

• 3 weeks later...

the H scenes brings attention to people (thats how i find good VNs lol)
however, H scenes doesnt determin taht the VN is good

in my opinion when i read Tomoyo After
DAT SHET was sad! the best part where the H scenes, due to the humor / scenes that they show in the VN
i thought it would be a happy VN but it isnt! and i got attracted thanks to the H scene

another VN that i read and liked was Kanon
sure it has some H scenes nothing too extreme
but i feel the connection with the chracter was even better due to the H scene (and seeing them naked is a plus)

so it really depends how the VN is turned out

i think a good VN with H scenes makes it better , but tahst just me 

Well I think in my opinion they are not necessary to move along the story but I also think in some sense that H scenes between the two lovers helps build an adult relationship between them and also makes them closer and helps them put their trust in each other both physically and mentally so I think they are necessary in some cases to for the couple to grow closer together. I don't mind H scenes in the story as long as it doesn't over exploite them, also if you've played H scenes before you can probably predict what they're gonna say and do. So in the end I think it all comes down to personal preference and how the story is carried out, this is after all just my opinion.

I think they are completely unnecessary. But I can tolerate them at some circumstances. In games from Da Capo series, for instance, there's actually a background that leads to the h-scene, I can tolerate them then. But in Muv-Luv Takeru doesn't even wait ONE day after he got together with one of the girls, he has to have sex with them on the SAME DAY, I can't even start to tell you how that's wrong.

I think I'd stop reading VNs if all of them'd become all-age. And even now I consider reading all-age VNs a waste of time - I'd rather read a book or two.

Well, a visual novel is a kind of (an interactive) book. The only difference is that while reading a book, you 'create' its world using 'eyes' of imagination and you usually are a spectator, onlooker; you don't take a part in the whole story, you can't change it and so.

In a visual novel (mostly, not always) you play the role of the main character, you can modify (by various actions) the story and all the visual stuff is premade.

And that hopefully will probably never happen, because there's already a genre of 'fap novels' called nukige made for people like you :P.

Answering the question asked in the title of this topic:

Nope, I don't think that h-scenes are necessary in visual novels. I don't give a ... I just don't care whether they are or not, because I don't read them to fap. There are a few examples of excellent all-age visual novels e.g. Clannad or Ever17.

And that hopefully will probably never happen, because there's already a genre of 'fap novels' called nukige made for people like you :P.

That's a no-no again: I don't like nukiges and I don't read them in general. But I really hate all those restrictions that "all-age" mark impose upon VNs. Let's compare Aselia all-age vs 18+: the first scene where a spirit rapes the protag makes a real difference to the whole game perception, no matter if you fap to it or not. Well, I did fap to to it, so w/e :rolleyes:

Don't get used to it and you won't feel the need, it's as simple.

Yeah H is mostly fan service, so people don't have to wait for lame doujinshi's to see their favorite heriones having sex.

And as Nosebleed said it increases the sales.