Your first VN experience

Wolfscythe

This probably doesn't count as a VN, but I believe the first game I ever played that had something similar to a Dating Sim in it was a PS1 game called Thousand Arms..  I enjoyed that aspect of the game, so I tried for looking for similar dating games I think.. and probably got into VNs eventually. So that was my first gateway to realizing they had games like that ;p

RPG game Thousand Arms (Date with Sodina)

Kiss.jpg

This probably doesn't count as a VN, but I believe the first game I ever played that had something similar to a Dating Sim in it was a PS1 game called Thousand Arms..  I enjoyed that aspect of the game, so I tried for looking for similar dating games I think.. and probably got into VNs eventually. So that was my first gateway to realizing they had games like that ;p

RPG game Thousand Arms (Date with Sodina)

Kiss.jpg

I started to show interest in VNs about 2 years ago and yes, I was underage that time but who cares you can google "p*rn" and get like 100,000,000 results. That said, the title of my first VN was Monster Girl Quest. Come to think of it, I don't exactly remember why the hell that was my first VN. My first "proper" VN with choices that matters and all was Soranica Ele by Light. Dull, boring, weird story it had indeed but it was my first nonetheless. After that I tried Rewrite but I gave up because I was using a machine translator and reading incohersive passages for hours drove me mad.

After 2 years, I came back, playing Hoshizora no Memoria as my first VN in 2 years. I played the translated version. Now I'm going through Le Fruit de la Grisaia.

When I first got my own computer I was rather technologically impaired and couldn't find any real visual novels. I found a KN called Ripples but that was just a teaser. Eventually I came across Fuwanovel and the rest is history.

Sono Hanabira was the first visual novel I completed. I played it along side Clannad so I guess I had two visual novels that got me interested in the medium.

Like some readers, Katawa Shoujo was the first visual novel I've read. (And it was beautiful) Afterwards, I began reading other OELVNs like Sepia Tears, Crimson Raflessia, Exogenisis, Juniper's Knot, ect. and they were all good. :)

About a month ago I then started to read one of the professional based ones: Rewrite, Grisaia no Kajitsu, and a whole lot more. Currently, I'm on Rewrite. 

• 4 weeks later...

The visual novel that introduced me to visual novels is Ever 17.

I found it in a used bookstore. It was 17 dollars used. This store primarily had used books or movies and only had a very small selection of games. I have always been a big reader and a big gamer (rpgs, strategy mainly) but I was just looking around and noticed in a small brown basket with Ever 17 in it unopened (or pre-packaged for that moment). The fact it was an anime looking game and since I was already a fan of anime I decided to check it out. The back sounded interesting so I used some credit I had in the bookstore to pick it up. I've always loved reading and Ever 17 piqued my interest. I would play it within the next week or so whenever my folks were gone (since they didn't know what it was I bought). I played the entire game and absolutely loved it. The story was brilliant the characters were great (I fell in love with the archetypes for tsugumi and You and I liked the setting and music. It simply did everything right to pull me in. I went to the used store a few weeks later and also picked up dragonia that I managed to find...would check after that for more but never would find any. It would take two years before I would buy my next visual novel.

The next visual novel I would pick up after those was Yume Miru Kusuri, Lightning Warrior Raidy, Snow Sakura, and a pre-order for Princess Waltz. I had just graduated from high school and had some money saved up as well as was away from my folks for the first time in nearly forever I went on a spending spree and began looking for anime and games to buy and one of the links I clicked on one of the websites sent me to Jast USA which I believe was having a sale of some sort and so I bought 4 visual novels since the previous two Ever 17 and Dragonia I liked so much. I just stumbled across them and was on my own finally with my own funds and could do what I wanted so I bought all four of those. Of those that I played Yume Miru Kusuri is what really got me fully invested in the adult side of the medium. I absolutely loved the characters in YMK and it was as good as Ever 17 and made me realize there were probably other gems in the genre and that as they say is that.

My first Visual Novel was Kanon. It was the one that touched my heart.

After that was Clannad, which opened it.

Later, Planetarian was the one who set it pumping.

Shamefull as it is , my real first one was Hitomi My step sister , though I didn't know what it was at the time so it doesnt really count.

Everything else I read was a hell of a ride right up to where I am.