The Onii-chan Effect

Nosebleed

Imoutos

tumblr_mmw4f0pb5E1rvkw6no1_500.gif

This character archtype has long been my favorite ever since I came across it for the first time.

I'm not entirely sure what it is that makes me like imoutos so much. Is it the "we shouldn't do this because we're siblings" thing or is it just that having someone related to you adoring you just boosts their cuteness to dangerously high levels?

Regardless of reasons, lately I've been wondering about something that, for me, really factors in how much I like a little sister character. And that is the way they refer to their older brother.

For some reason, despite the relationship being similar in several series, I've noticed I tend to dislike when the older brother is referred to by a particular set of names.

The relationship might be close and cute, but just by calling a name I am not particularly fond off it suddenly makes me not like the character as much.

So with this thread I want to ask member that like (or not) imouto characters:

What drives you to like/dislike them?

And

Does the way they refer to the older brother play any role at all in the way you like the character?

Since I'm making this thread and since I like imoutos so much I decided to compile all my opinions in most common names.

So let's start off 

Onii-chan

Classical term of referring to your older brother and the most commonly used in the industry. The word Onii-chan for me is one I can never hate. It is the most pure form to refer to one's older brother and boosts up the cuteness on almost any imouto character that uses it. No matter in what tone it is pronounced, being refered to as Onii-chan just sparks up something within me.

Dropping the O to turn it into Nii-chan is still acceptable but the impact may vary depending on the tone used to pronounce it.

Nii-san/Onii-san

Rarely used to refer to an actual brother, i still consider the characters who refer to you as Onii-san to be imouto type, but it's not as powerful as the honorific chan for obvious reasons. I personally prefer with O than without it simply because without it it almost lacks any impact given that the honorific being used is -san (symbolizing a stranger) and there's no O to symbolize respect.

Being referred to as Onii-san makes me want to help the person in question, it's like being relied on.

Onii-sama/Nii-sama

One of the honorifics I dislike. For some reason I've always felt that the honorific sama was more of a barrier between the 2 characters rather than bringing them close. By refering to one's brother as sama they are putting their brother in a tier different than their own, even though it shows respect it doesn't show cuteness.

Most, if not all, characters that refer to their brother as Onii-sama have always managed to make me not like them all that much. It just doesn't feel imouto like to me.

Aniki

I don't love or hate this term, when being refered to as Aniki however it's basically symbolizing that the character in question sees their brother as either someone cool or they just don't like calling them by an affectionate nickname, it's a little half assed sometimes. 

Hence why being referred to as Aniki never really sparks up a flame within me.

No honorific

If you the imouto character is not using any honorific form to refer to their older brother they either don't like them or just don't see them as a brother at all and don't feel the need to use an honorific form. Obviously being called by your own name with no honorofic pretty much destroys a basic foundation for the imouto character.

Exception to this rule are tsunderes that call you an honorofic form when in dere mode.

Nii Nii

One of the most powerful weapons a imouto character can wield.

Nii Nii represents utmost joy for almost any siscon (me included). Being referred to by a nickname that was made just because you are adored by your sister exponentially boosts their cuteness and is almost impossible to resist.

I can not resist this nickname at all, it is a true form of moe in itself.

Nii

Half the power of Nii Nii but still powerful nonetheless. Dropping the O might impact it, but dropping any kind of honorific at the end also brings one closer to their sister, it's quite the gap moe I daresay. The effects of Nii heavily depend on what tone is used to pronounce it. For me at least.

Onii-tan

This character is clearly too young to pronounce the word -san correctly. This character should not be viewed in a lascivious manner. Please make sure this character is raised with love and care so they can evolve into one of the above forms.

Ani-ue

We interrupt this thread to bring you ancient Japan.

Jokes aside I don't like this term. Similar to Onii-sama it creates a hierarchical type of relationship, creating a gap between the sister and the brother that I pesonally don't find cute.

Good thing it's pretty outdated and rarely used.

As you can see, for me all these names provoke different feelings, they can even be a deciding factor on wether or not I end up liking the character.

Just thought I'd share this with all of you and see if anyone has different opinions.

Regardless, imouto characters who love their brothers need to be treated with love and care. Make sure you give plenty of love to your imoutos, they're the one being that won't leave your side no matter what.

If not, this might happen:

N1qyZm0.png

That is all.

I wonder how long has it been since I started calling you nii-chan? Oh well.

As I'm sure everyone in fuwanovel who has been here long enough to read one of my rants, I'm really exigent when it comes to imoutos. Don't really care about honorifics, though "onii-sama" gives some extra points.

I only like imoutos when they're the respectful, submissive type. Though that goes to almost all heroines I like. Extra points if they don't care about/hate everyone else besides the brother. From animes, I think Miyuki is about as good as you can get when it comes to imoutos.

I would also think an aloof, quiet imouto who doesn't bother you (the type you can live in the same house as without having to exchange a word for one month) would be totally fine.

Imouto-chara... (going to be a little serious here).  The main reason imoutos attract the male's love is their essential position as someone to be protected, either physically or emotionally.  Males have an instinctive desire to be needed, and so they need someone who needs their protection and affection to give them a reason to exist.  The little sister is generally the first and most powerful example of an object of this type of 'protect the weaker side' kind of relationship.  Since I have a rl-imouto, I can tell you that when you are a kid, it makes a huge difference.  I was... viciously protective of my little sister as a kid.  I saved her from drowning once, getting hit by a car another time, and I kept the fact that she'd stolen my dad's vodka a secret.  That doesn't change the fact that even at its best, after she hit her teens, we drifted apart... but when I was younger, it was definitely an 'onii-chan' relationship.  Since I'm a bit dry when it comes to relationships, it didn't bother me.  However, I still recognize the attraction of an oniichama relationship, lol.  

This is interesting because I also have a rl imouto, however my relationship with her is nearly non existent, she's always been more of a nuisance in my eyes. Perhaps because of our big age gap (10 years) I saw her as more of an intruder when she was born (I was in 4th grade already) than someone I want to hold close to. Maybe I even took refuge in 2D imoutos because after 8 years I've never really given my rl-imouto that much attention, I wouldn't discard the possibility entirely. I do fully agree that imoutos spark the protectiveness nature of males, no arguing there I would definintely protect my rl-imouto if something were to happen to her. This is part of the feeling that lingers when I deal with 2D imoutos, the unconditional love. Of course there's other types of feelings when you're talking about actual romantic relationships between the characters, in this case it's more of the seeing a taboo being deconstructed that sparks my interest. So I guess there's 2 scenarios for me when it comes to imouto characters.

Between being an aniki and an otouto I'd like being an otouto (muu, I actually am one, now that I think of it) more, -sama is my favorite honorific for imoutos, but you forgot things like Oni-tama (the wicked type) a plain Ani or even a baka-ani/baka-aniki, thinking deeper there are also cases like hentai or siscon. 

As for what I would use as an otouto that would be either sama or tama(wicked obviously) or just no honorific at all.

Imoutos that just don't fit any of the above tend to be the best, like Illya, I think she uses Onii-san? Anyway, no honorific at all is fine.

This is interesting because I also have a rl imouto, however my relationship with her is nearly non existent, she's always been more of a nuisance in my eyes. Perhaps because of our big age gap (10 years) I saw her as more of an intruder when she was born (I was in 4th grade already) than someone I want to hold close to. Maybe I even took refuge in 2D imoutos because after 8 years I've never really given my rl-imouto that much attention, I wouldn't discard the possibility entirely. I do fully agree that imoutos spark the protectiveness nature of males, no arguing there I would definintely protect my rl-imouto if something were to happen to her. This is part of the feeling that lingers when I deal with 2D imoutos, the unconditional love. Of course there's other types of feelings when you're talking about actual romantic relationships between the characters, in this case it's more of the seeing a taboo being deconstructed that sparks my interest. So I guess there's 2 scenarios for me when it comes to imouto characters.

If something were to happen to your rl imouto, you would be worried right?

Tama is on the same level as Tan.

If they can't pronounce the word san/sama, they're too young.

Adding the word baka is not an horific, you're just calling your brother an idiot, may or may not result in gap moe if the character in question is a tsundere :P

I was just trying to point out names an imouto character would call their brother on a daily basis.

Ani is one though, I did forget that, thanks for pointing it out.

For me Ani is a little too impersonal, I don't particularly like it, I prefer Aniki over it.

If something were to happen to your rl imouto, you would be worried right?

Of course. I'm not a heartless creature, I thought I explained I do like my sister, it's just that the way our relationship evolved wasn't the closest, but she's still my sister.

Not necessarily, if they are saying tama, they must be mocking you, that's how it works. I think I've seen it twice, but I only remember one of them with exactitude. 

Hmm, well I guess it could make a difference in that case.

But if they're just using Tama to annoy you that's not very imouto-chara like.

At least for me.

I'm more fond of onii-tan than onii-tama.

But an imouto that would genuinely refer to me as onii-tan is someone i'd want to protect and take care of rather than look at with any kind of lewd eyes.

It'd be like having a child.

1- Hmm, well I guess it could make a difference in that case.

But if they're just using Tama to annoy you that's not very imouto-chara like.

At least for me.

I'm more fond of onii-tan than onii-tama.

2- But an imouto that would genuinely refer to me as onii-tan is someone i'd want to protect and take care of rather than look at with any kind of lewd eyes.

It'd be like having a child.

1- Annoying the hell outta you until you actually like them for some mysterious reason is what imoutos do better.

2- Fufu, you should already know that trying to resist a loli's charms is futile, specially when they are on the offensive,

6mEtw2e.png

1- Annoying the hell outta you until you actually like them for some mysterious reason is what imoutos do better.

2- Fufu, you should already know that trying to resist a loli's charms is futile, specially when they are on the offensive,

6mEtw2e.png

No one can. Myself included.

--

I just want to say, not only as a 2D siscon (because I love imouto and Oneechan charas), also as a IRL onii-chan that 3D imoutos aren't as cool as 2D ones.

Go and read Oniishare. Best imouto VN (even if it's actually a nukige, Seseri is pure love).

Sad to say, but Kuky is mostly correct.  I loved my little sister a lot more before she became a hypocritical therapist and social worker.  She's also developed this insane hate for the family and begun editing her own memories to make her the eternal victim...

And that is why 2D imoutos will always be superior.

If it wasn't clear before, this thread is for imouto-chara, not for rl-imoutos.

You see 2D Imoutos are eternal, that's their beauty, that's why they'll never compare to 3D ones.

And Yukiru a loli would still call me onii-chan, only an infant would call me onii-tan genuinely, and i'm not interested in them at such a young age :P

At least not in that way. I'll appreciate them as an adorable existence and show my love for them though.

Of course when they become fully fledged lolis you can love them all you want.

I always called my onii-chan baka, yep, i'm the imouto in my familly, as my 3 brothers are older than me(and the age gap is big), but i know something, it's that my onii will always be here to help me.

As on 2D, i think that imouto relationship is a well interesting setup for VN Routes.

This is something I never paid too much attention to, but I do have a couple opinions. I can't think of too many cases for a few though

Onii-sama: I really hate it. I agree that it feels like a barrier. You shouldn't have to show so much respect to a family member, and being an older brother, I would never want that much respect being shown to me by my family. I only have a younger brother, can't say for little sister. I always envied my cousin for having a little sister, until she grew up being a rotten brat :P

Onii-chan: I like this one best if the "i" was drawn out, followed by a quick -chan.

Aniki: Never heard this used by a younger sister before, only younger brother.

No Honorific: By this, do you mean addressed by name with no honorific?

Nii Nii: Can only think of one case, but never paid attention to the fact that she says "Nii Nii" besides her friends thinking it was weird. That one case I thought she was an incredibly imouto though.

Onii-tan: As said, too young :P

Fun fact, this thread was posted on Akari Akaza's birthday (the one portrayed on the hugging pillow in the OP)

It's not unreasonable for the word Aniki to be used to refer to an older brother. I mean "Ani" (兄) literally means brother. It would probably come off as "bro" in most contexts.

I've seen some imoutos refer to their brothers this way. I can recall Kirino off of the top of my head.

No Honorific: By this, do you mean addressed by name with no honorific?

Yes. Just a imouto-chara referring to their older brother by their given name. I find that unappealing. Unless they're a tsundere.

Let's see...
For me, Nii-san sounds the best. 
The '-san' gives off this idea of 'I respect you as my older brother'.
And I think dropping the 'o' in onii is cuter. So when coupled with the '-san' it gives me this idea of 'I rely on you as my older brother'.

Onii-chan sounds all around nice. No problems here.

Onii-sama/Nii-sama: The use of '-sama' permanently sounds terrible, as said previously, it's like a barrier. But at certain moments it can really be well used. In particular when appeasing or sucking up to their brother.

Onii-tan is ridiculous. But again, can be used really well at certain moments, like when you're trying to get something from your brother. (Here's a very fitting quote for situations like these, Nosebleed: "Ser interesseiro")

Everything else I don't have much experience with.

Let's say that I have a cute 2D imouto, hypothetically speaking. And this cute, adorable, perfect-looking 2D imouto is trying to wake me up by using the classical attempt: Riding Onii-chan's Dick At 7 In The Morning to Wake Him Up... Attack!

As you can see in the hissatsu's name, the correct way to address me is with onii-chan.

But then again; let's assume that she's one year younger than me, and she just wants to ask me something. How should she address me then? I'm not into a master-slave roleplay, so onii-sama is out of the question. Nii-san sounds too plain and has no impact at all. We're not training under the almighty eye of our grandfather, deep in the mountains, somewhere in Hokkaido, so aniki isn't an option. The only choices left are nii-nii and nii. While nii can deal a lot of moe damage if she combines it with puppy eyes, it might still fail if I, for some reason, can't look straight at her. The only logical and most effective choice to deal the most moe damage and conquer the onii-chan route is to call me nii-nii in a sweet voice that directly results in an one-hit K.O.

Thank you for your understanding. Imouto characters are the best, unless they're tsundere.

And that is why 2D imoutos will always be superior.

If it wasn't clear before, this thread is for imouto-chara, not for rl-imoutos.

You see 2D Imoutos are eternal, that's their beauty, that's why they'll never compare to 3D ones.

This is so accurate that it deserves a price.

Totally relevant to the discussion:

-historicallyinaccurate.everyoneknowsthisstuffonlyexistedaftertheriseoftheottomansby1444-

I don't see how it is, considering the topic is about the effects of different terms used to refer to an older brother, and not about little sisters specifically.

I don't see how it is, considering the topic is about the effects of different terms used to refer to an older brother, and not about little sisters specifically.

While nosebleed talked about those names in more detail, the thread is also being used (by the thread creator as well, even in the main post) to talk about imouto characters in general. While the names are a special spice of it, it's hardly the only topic at hand.