Live Action. Yes or No?

Nosebleed

So today I come across this wonderful piece of information on Crunchyroll:

The Anime Saikin, Imouto no Yousu ga Chotto Okashiinda ga. (AKA Imocho) is getting a Live Action movie adaptation.

Original source

And I remember how pretty bad the anime was so I was like "Oh this must be great" *much sarcasm*, and then I saw the trailer:

Slightly NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0ok_g65cQk

In my opinion this looks.. frightening, much more frightening than the anime was, I feel like I'd want to gauge my eyes out with an ice cream scoop after 20 mins of it in fact.

Much like a lot of other pretty bad Live Action stuff such as Dragonball Evolution or Gantz.

This got me thinking on all the anime that actually get a Live Action adaptations. Even Shingeki no Kyojin is getting one. And I wonder why popular stuff that could actually have some value in the big screen as a movie usually tends to end up with poor scripting and acting and just ends up an overall cheap movie.

So I wanted to ask how do you feel about Live Action adaptations from anime. 

Do you watch it? Do you like it? Any favorites?

Personally the only Live Action movie I was ever able to stand was Death Note's Live Action movies. It had its share of flaws but the overall movie felt like it had some effort put into it and it didn't completely suck. The story adaptation was nice and the overall feel of it wasn't bad and I actually did like watching it. But that's about the only one I've ever been able to withstand. 

I think my major problem with Live Action is the fact that a lot of highschool setting stuff tends to be adapted and I just can't get in with the fact that all the "highschool students" look like people in their mid 20's. It just doesn't sit right with me and then the whole acting just feels cheap because they're usually acting like kids and it just sits horribly with me. I think that's where Death Note didn't fail because the actual anime characters were over 18 so the actors looked just about right with the original ones and nothing felt completely out of place.

Feel free to share your live action experiences, I haven't watched that many  so if there's any gems you know of i'd welcome you to post them.

Never saw a good one. Not like I tried watching over 3 of them, though. It just feels bad, overall. The actors are generally bad and seem amateur-ish, they don't seem to put much effort into the setting and the whole thing feels rushed.

Animes should stay animes.

Movies should stay movies.

It's not the same world.

Nothing more nothing less. 

Nobody in the really world will ever say Naniiiiiiii ?! wth an overdramatic voice ... would they ?

It's not just for Slice of life stuff.

2D and 3D should never be mixed because they aren't meant to be.

Even if it's set in a realist setting, it's totally different.

I wonder who even watches this kind of crap anyway.

Japanese live-action pop-culture is tough for a Westerner, really. It's just different from what we're used to and requires some time to get used to. Go watch an episode of Kamen Rider or Garo while you haven't ever watched any jap live-action stuff, your mind will bleed. Whereas for them it's hot shit, they're watching that kind of stuff since they're kids anyway. And westerners who are used to it like it too. I do think japanese tend to be bad actors though, but once again I think it's a cultural gap.

Second issue is the fact that their movie industry never really put a lot of money into those projects, doesn't really work like Hollywood over there. Not an expert on the subject but that weighs too.

And live-action being the obvious next step for multimedia licenses that usually span over anime/manga/LN/VN/games/kitkat/condoms, well it happens.

I don't think there's a wall between anime and live-action. Not for everything. I mean, live stuff like tokusatsu/sentai and anime have been influencing each others since forever.

Sure it's pretty hard to make moe stuff into live, but it can work for a lot of things. I've heard Patlabor Next Generation was actually quite good.

Though I have to say, I'm baffled anyone sane in his mind thought about adapting Imocho. Holy shit, that trailer is crap and insanely sick.

If an anime is more realistic then it could work, kind of like Death note. Why I love anime though is because it's not super realistic. A bunch of concepts they have could only really work in animation and would just look bizarre if they were live-action.

I always wondered why Japanese movies look so bad though. They probably don't spend as much on movies as we do here, that's just my guess though. 

I tried once to watch a live action serie, the Sailor Moon one. I stopped after three episodes, I just couldn't stand it.

Anime are very difficult, even impossible to adapt in series or movies. They don't have the same way of telling series,

plus what make animes different is the design with the big eyes and the bright colours.

You can't do that in real life, or it would end like that:

and I don't want to see something like that in real life: (shivers)

animebarbie.jpg

I don't think it'd be impossible to adapt an anime's story, it just needs to be redesigned and rethought and I think they try really hard to just copy everything to see if it turns out well and it doesn't.

I agree 2D can't be mixed with 3D but it's not impossible to adapt any anime as long as you have the budget for it, or else there wouldn't be any great sci-fi movies, they'd all just be cheap effect shows that no one cared for.

I agree the character design plays a big part though and you can't replicate that with real people

f1464873e5e8f4dacaae252ccc373f32.jpg

I don't think it'd be impossible to adapt an anime's story, it just needs to be redesigned and rethought and I think they try really hard to just copy everything to see if it turns out well and it doesn't.

I agree 2D can't be mixed with 3D but it's not impossible to adapt any anime as long as you have the budget for it, or else there wouldn't be any great sci-fi movies, they'd all just be cheap effect shows that no one cared for.

I agree the character design plays a big part though and you can't replicate that with real people

f1464873e5e8f4dacaae252ccc373f32.jpg

I feel this is how horror movies start...

I disagree with that.

It's not just a question of drawings, design and plots.

When you turn anime/manga/etc. into movies, you lose something.

You could debate the fact that some seinen/josei could be adaptated in movies due to their realistic plot or their more realistic drawingS.

I say no ! Don't do that, ever.

Don't make a Monster movie, don't make a Hikaru no Go movie, don't dare make a Berserck movie either even if it's fantasy.

And the fun thing is that gap, that border can also set the border beetween Comics and Mangas.

Simply because most Marvel or Capcoms take place in the actual world.

Adaptating anime can only come with the loss of what made it good.

I'm having a really hard time explaining why I reject the idea of having 3D movies don't but just thinking about it make me want to hit something.

The only thing i'm sure it that the anime/manga world has things 3D can't offer and reciprocally.

But as it was previously said, these adaptations are so bad that's it actually hard to imagine how it could be if it was correctly produced.

Edited by Guest

I think the main problem with live action is that it is limited to the effects and what people are able to do. If they try too hard the cgi becomes too unrealistic but with not enough it loses the charm that it contained as an anime. However if the anime was purely slice of life it has potential to become a good live action film.

No, I like Anime because they are Anime. Anime is superior to live action so making an unsupirior version of something that you already have a superior one is not a good idea. Making a Live action into an Anime is another story because you are making a superior version of a story that you already have.

Anime is superior to live action

Care to expend yourself a bit on that one?

Anime and live-action are different, there are things you can do in one and can't do in the other, and reciprocally. But to prove that one is objectively, intrinsically superior to the other? Eh. Seems unlikely to me.