Live Action. Yes or No?

Nosebleed

Care to expend yourself a bit on that one?

Anime and live-action are different, there are things you can do in one and can't do in the other, and reciprocally. But to prove that one is objectively, intrinsically superior to the other? Eh. Seems unlikely to me. 

Anime is superior to live action because Anime characters are superior to RL people. Anime grapich is superior to a live action graphic and Anime personalities are superior to RL personalities. Everything in Anime is superior from RL and live actions is close to RL.

I wouldn't really say that one is better than the other. Each has their own shows and movies that are goood and ones that are bad. But what I Really hate is when they adapt an anime into a live action, or vice versa. Its just never done right.

Live action and anime are on different realms. 

You can say an anime adaptation is better than it's live action counterpart but you can't objectively say live action as a whole is worse than anime or vice versa.

There's no reason why you can't have good acting and scripting in a live action movie and why said movie wouldn't be as good as it's anime counterpart. It's just that a lot of live action tend to be low budget adaptations with poor scripting and acting that takes away what the anime was.

And how are anime characters superior to real people considering real people shape them after themselves? Certainly the traits are often exaggerated and taken to extremes but the personaly of an anime characters is shaped after a human being's in most cases. You can't say they are better than real people due to that.

Graphically speaking it's completely different. There's just no comparison and I don't want to get into 2D vs 3D here. They're just 2 total opposites aesthetically. 

But I can guarantee you whatever 2D can do, 3D can as well with proper effort and cgi.

As far as other elements like story I've seen plenty of great movies with real people as well as anime with ficitonal characters just like i've seen bad ones in both.

My conclusion is that live action tends to be worse due to the lack of effort and budget but there's no reason why it can't be as good as an anime if given the proper care.

Live action and anime are on different realms. 

You can say an anime adaptation is better than it's live action counterpart but you can't objectively say live action as a whole is worse than anime or vice versa.

There's no reason why you can't have good acting and scripting in a live action movie and why said movie wouldn't be as good as it's anime counterpart. It's just that a lot of live action tend to be low budget adaptations with poor scripting and acting that takes away what the anime was.

And how are anime characters superior to real people considering real people shape them after themselves? Certainly the traits are often exaggerated and taken to extremes but the personaly of an anime characters is shaped after a human being's in most cases. You can't say they are better than real people due to that.

Graphically speaking it's completely different. There's just no comparison and I don't want to get into 2D vs 3D here. They're just 2 total opposites aesthetically. 

But I can guarantee you whatever 2D can do, 3D can as well with proper effort and cgi.

As far as other elements like story I've seen plenty of great movies with real people as well as anime with ficitonal characters just like i've seen bad ones in both.

My conclusion is that live action tends to be worse due to the lack of effort and budget but there's no reason why it can't be as good as an anime if given the proper care.

This is already stepping inside a forbidden topic 2D VS 3D. But don't worry, I don't plan to continue it that way so I will keep this short. "Real people" didn't shape Anime character after themselves, for explanation look at locked 2D vs 3D thread, and if you still have something to say on the matter after reading it, we can continue it via PM as discussing this matter in a thread is not a good choice.

I've once tried to watch the live-action adaptation of Higurashi. Yeah, tried... took a whole week to recover from that trauma.

I can watch comically bad things like Tokyo Gore Police because that's on such a scale that it reaches those camp levels (still pretty hard to appreciate while you're sober, though :P), but adaptations...? Actually, now that I think about it, I've very much enjoyed Hentai Kamen, but that was mostly for the same reason as the aforementioned movie. Though there were some genuinely hilarious moments in there.

Well, if you have the mood for it, it can be enjoyed, although mostly for the very specific comedic value.

A kid once tried to turn into a super saiyan.

Didn't end well ...

It's fine.  He just forgot to add the special effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08mr8bkN_Nk

The only live action ones i ever tried to watch were the Rurouni Kenshin movie and the Liar Game show.  Wasn't a fan of either.  Sad thing is that I could see Liar Game being turned into pretty good show even live action as there isn't really anything too overblown about it.  But they would have needed to hire some people that can act to pull it off.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a huge fan of anime turned into live-action because I like anime for numerous elements live-action cannot do such as the faces the characters make. I like a good story and interesting characters as well which live-action can infact do, but I'm more of an anime fan anyways.

Though, anime superior? Boils down to tastes.

Really depends on the quality, I really liked the Rurouni Kenshin live-action movie even though I have read and finished the manga, but the Dragonball Evolution movie was just god awful. Personally, I think if any anime were to get a live-action movie or series I think the Japanese studios should make them.

I rarely watch live-action japanese movies and series, but I don't think we should generalize, I have seen some decent ones.

Nodame Cantabile was awesome, I loved it.  Shimokita Glory Days(based on a harem manga) was pretty cool as well, I quite enjoyed it.  Dragon Head had a decent movie adaptation.(Well, it was OK compared to the manga I guess.)  20th Century Boys got an adaptation in 3 movies as well, though I heard mixed impressions.  The live action version of Toki Wo Kakeru Shoujo has a pretty good reputation as well.  The production values are obviously nowhere near that of Hollywood movies, but Hollywood's budgets are just monstrous.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly watch a lot of Live Action. Not on purpose though, as many stories I prefer are based on mangas or anime, which is understandable as there are great plots found there. I believe they are neither inferior nor superior to anime. It just depends on your prejudices ;) You just can't expect Hollywood values from japan/asian TV or cinema. And granted, many shows seem to be out for a quick buck. And most important: It is a genre on its own and should be regarded as such.

humour - anime humour is hard to do. Although old school american shows like Parker Lewis or Malcolm in the middle showed, that it is possible (not the faces of course). Still you can make a show funny if you want to. You just need a different take on it and not just copy the animated source.

acting - as most sources are popular to youths, the production firms try to popularize its shows with current idols, who in most cases perform in a movie for the first time. But this will garner attention and curious movie goers. I honestly hardly recognize bad acting as I don't speak the language and can therefore not hear any wooden pronounciation and such. Subtiltes also distract from looking at facial expressions closely.

Shows I love are the taiwanes version of Hana Yori Dango, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, the korean movie Old Boy or dramas like Ouran High School Host Club and Mei-chan no Shitsuji. Just to name a few. The Sailor Moon Live Action for example, although lacking in budget and acting, surpasses it's anime and mange predecessors in plot and characterization in length.

Kamen Rider and such are not my cup of tea, as the bore me with their extended henshin scenes. And if you want an original Live Action: Try out Majisuka Gakuen 1+2. Highly recommended!