The most awesome way you could explain VNs?

laiktail

There's the simple definition you offer to your non-VN comrades of "it's an interactive novel with pictures", but surely there must be a way more awesome way to capture the essence of a VN. 

Like, "it's an anime-like story driven by the emotions and dialogue of its illustrated characters" or something. 

Like, "it's a revolutionary form of media at a crossroads halfway between anime and manga". 

What's your way of persuading people that VNs are even better than the best sliced bread? 

I couldn't properly explain it in a few words if I want to get people's attention.

An illustrated story in which you get to guide the main character in some of his decisions.

Of course when comes the time of the examples I hide the dust under the carpet and polish the whole thing a little bit.

The different routes often allow viewing different aspects of the story, so the genre is particulary suited for complex mystery stories (please do that more game dev's).

It also allows better immersion and gives great importance to character developpement thanks to it's length (Often not true and it's a shame), and when it's well done, with good music, drawing and writing it can become the most breath taking experience.

For from the static manga to the moving anime, it's an in between genre you can go through at your own pace.

Plus there is everything the otaku culture has to offer in them and a wide variety of game would it be romance or hentai, mystery or action, you'll surely find what suits you.

Being a part of the story allows many senaristic tricks which when used properly will vreate a whole new experience that VN's are the only one being able to offer.

That's pretty much my propaganda of the genre.

I'd explain to you what the difference between a joke and a troll is, but we all know how that will end.

I support, don't go off topic please, it was obviously for fun. (I would have done the joke if you didn't)

"The depth of story telling in the better visual novels has made it difficult for me to enjoy JRPGs."

"After playing (reading?) Steins;Gate, I realized that Bioware's stories are kind of shit."

"Do you like anime?  Do you like manga?  Then think of visual novels as full color manga that are often fully or at least mostly voiced like an anime.  They often seem to start off slow or even boring, but what is happening(in the better VNs) is that the author is taking the time not only to develop the characters, but to form a strong attachment to them in your mind.  That way when the story does kick it into high gear, you truly care what happens to the cast.  A good visual novel is a journey that will, at its end, leave you wishing wistfully for more time to spend with new found friends and mourning those that didn't make it to the end.  It is a unique experience formed from a blending of media, and any fan of its component parts should at least experience it once."

Sadly, most of my friends wouldn't be very interested unless I told them that a lot of VNs have h-scenes in them, so if I wanted them to try them out, I'd say something along the lines of "interactive story with h-scenes and background music and art.  Did I mention that they have h-scenes?  Boobs."

Now, if I was talking to people other than my fairly perverted friends, I'd say something like, "they're essentially choose-your-own-adventure books, but with art in anime style.  Some of them are voiced, but almost all of them have background music at all times.  They're well-known for dishing out feels and having very well developed storylines."

Sadly, most of my friends wouldn't be very interested unless I told them that a lot of VNs have h-scenes in them, so if I wanted them to try them out, I'd say something along the lines of "interactive story with h-scenes and background music and art.  Did I mention that they have h-scenes?  Boobs."

Now, if I was talking to people other than my fairly perverted friends, I'd say something like, "they're essentially choose-your-own-adventure books, but with art in anime style.  Some of them are voiced, but almost all of them have background music at all times.  They're well-known for dishing out feels and having very well developed storylines."

I told my friend to play visual novels for a long time but he didn't start playing until I mentioned the H-scenes. He was like "IT HAS OPPAI?!"