50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

Well, only cause you asked :P

I wouldn’t be a good person to ask for what to include, for many reasons. I’ll list them for you:

1 – I like otome (so things like Hakuoki would be on there)

2 – I like gameplay VNs (so things like LittleWitch Romanesque for its excellent sim gameplay.)

3 – I like OELVN's, mostly because of the above two points (so stuff like Scheherazade would be on there. Then I'd try and push the boundaries to include Academagia, even though it's an interactive fiction/sim hybrid and not a visual novel/sim hybrid :P)

4 – I like things to be logically consistent, so I’d either take a very narrow view of what a VN is and be consistent with that (which would generate complaints, as I think yours did when you didn't include gameplay?) or I’d take in a very wide view of what a VN is (which would mean Phoenix Wright will be on there…) I find your list to be a little inconsistent but I'll get to that in a minute.

As you can see, my suggestions wouldn't be good suggestions for your list.

My disagreements with your list:

Well, you say you’re judging things on story only but you included Sengoku Rance. As a fan of Sengoku Rance I can tell you that almost all of the appeal of that game is its solid turn-based-strategy gameplay… and the sex scenes. In fact, I'd categorise it as a strategy game first, and a VN second. If you include Rance I'd ask why you haven't included Kamidori. Both don't have very good stories but are well received mainly because of the gameplay.

Daibanchou – see above.

You have things on there like Dangan Ronpa and 999 but not Phoenix Wright. I understand you’re probably using VNDB’s definitions, but they’re dreadfully inconsistent, which is part of the reason Fuwa should provide its own, liberal definitions. Phoenix Wright deserves a spot if Dangan Ronpa is on there imo.

Speaking of which, I found 999 to be dreadfully overrated also. It has a bloated and repetitive storytelling style which didn’t appeal to me. WinkBlinkel kept trying to shove it down my throat cause I kept trying to shove Divinity: Original Sin down his throat. Neither of us were successful.

The next two points are VERY opinion based:

I hate Kira Kira with a passion because of the level of boredom it produced in me. The level was more than any human could bear…

I think Dysfunctional Systems is grossly overrated. The art is nice but, once again, not a fan of the prose.

But at the end of the day this is your list and I wouldn't worry that I disagree with it. You've read a lot more VNs then I have, and overall it's quite a solid list of good introductory VNs. Your taste just isn't compatible with my tastes (I don't like dark or gross stuff, so I won't be touching Saya no Uta with a 10 foot pole, for example.)

Confession: While I really liked what I saw of Phoenix Wright (made me an insta-fan), I never played enough to have a valid, concrete opinion on it. If I ever >actually< play one of the games I'll consider putting it here. I don't think it'll happen too soon, I have a pretty big JP backlog to clear before I consider it.

Well then.

Guess I'll go try playing an emulated version or something.

Please do.

Then afterwards, please pepper Kaguya with reviews filled with gushing praise and overflowing with emotion. Send them with such frequency, that in the end Kaguya will cave just to get you to stop unwittingly be moved by your words and agree to continue playing the series post-haste.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Eden* should be on the list too it is on par with ef or even better.

I traveled a shortish time ago and I was catching up with JP VNs (still kinda am)... That lead me to not reading anything translated in a while, including Eden. 

I'll read through it and take my own conclusion in the next 2 weeks (a lot to do, with a Majikoi replay of all things... Couldn't they have released the patch after one more month or so for my convenience? :kosame:)

Also, MLA's ending was great. 

I traveled a shortish time ago and I was catching up with JP VNs (still kinda am)... That lead me to not reading anything translated in a while, including Eden. 

I'll read through it and take my own conclusion in the next 2 weeks (a lot to do, with a Majikoi replay of all things... Couldn't they have released the patch after one more month or so for my convenience? :kosame:)

Also, MLA's ending was great. 

MLA's ending was one of the worst ending of any vn :vinty:

I am sure you get this a lot, but I figured I would just take a moment to say thanks for making this list.

It is probably the very first thread I ever read here on Fuwa due to a google search I made back when I first was getting into VNs a year and a half back now (quite a bit before my lurking started >:D ) It's an awesome resource I like to point newbies to VNs towards so they can kind of get their bearings, although looking at the number of VNs I have read.. I am still a newbie myself. Hell, I still have it bookmarked from back when I first found it.   :wahaha: The fact that even update the list makes it an even more important resource in my opinion!

So yeah... uh... All hail Marie-sama and all that! xD

Why? Explain your thoughts so I can refute them!

Thanks! It's always wonderful to receive appreciation for something you did, and it makes me feel pretty happy. 

I never thought this thread would actually be this ridiculously popular when it comes to views. Makes me feel bad that I didn't put enough effort into it at first  :yumiko:

Here we go again :P

*The ending doesn't fit with the whole plot, a happy ending is just weird and the fact that Takeru becomes a retard kid again is just sad and depressing,

*I really really dislike his character in extra/unlimited and most of the time in alternative, he is such a freaking retard...he is clueless of everything around him, really selfish and a coward most of the time, I mean he really is a bad person if you think about it... and all the effort and hardwork of all the people around him in alternative went down the toilet when he lost his memories.

*Yes he did save his real planet.... oh wait no he didn't because it was a mix, it wasn't his real planet anymore(Kasumi and all the others shouldn't be there if it was) at the end and this doesn't make sense, Yuuko's theory about the worlds and pretty much everything she tells you in the whole novel so in the end A) she didn't have a clue about what she was talking about or(aka the plot of the vn) B ) The writers made up everything up to have a happy ending and for them to have a clear path to make Altered fable, which is garbage <--- I incline for the latter.

*He did help the other planet fighting the BETA... oh no wait no he didn't because the BETA weren't fighting in the first place they didn't give a crap about humans, they were just mining the g-element and if they really wanted to destroy humans there wasn't anything they could have done to stop them, so everything in the end was pretty much pointless ...

*No explanation about the so called "creator" or why was he was mining the g-element around the universe or pretty much the whole conversation that takeru had with the BETA in the original hive...nothing was explained, just him going back to his planet being a retard again and all that using most of the same dialogs and scenes from muv-luv extra lol

that's why i hate the ending so much, such an amazing story, characters, pretty much everything, with such a shitty ending

Here we go again :P

*The ending doesn't fit with the whole plot, a happy ending is just weird and the fact that Takeru becomes a retard kid again is just sad and depressing,

*I really really dislike his character in extra/unlimited and most of the time in alternative, he is such a freaking retard...he is clueless of everything around him, really selfish and a coward most of the time, I mean he really is a bad person if you think about it... and all the effort and hardwork of all the people around him in alternative went down the toilet when he lost his memories.

*Yes he did save his real planet.... oh wait no he didn't because it was a mix, it wasn't his real planet anymore(Kasumi and all the others shouldn't be there if it was) at the end and this doesn't make sense, Yuuko's theory about the worlds and pretty much everything she tells you in the whole novel so in the end A) she didn't have a clue about what she was talking about or(aka the plot of the vn) B ) The writers made up everything up to have a happy ending and for them to have a clear path to make Altered fable <--- I incline for the latter.

He did help the other planet too fighting the BETA... oh no wait no he didn't because the BETA weren't fighting in the first place they didn't give a crap about humans, they were just mining the g-element and if they really wanted to destroy humans there wasn't anything they could have done to stop them, so everything in the end was pretty much pointless ...

*No explanation about the so called "creator" or why was he was mining the g-element around the universe or pretty much the whole conversation that takeru had with the BETA in the original hive...nothing was explained, just him going back to his planet being a retard again and all that using most of the same dialogs and scenes from muv-luv extra lol

that's why i hate the ending so much, such an amazing story, characters, pretty much everything, with such a shitty ending

It's been a long time since I read it, so I can't refute the ending being nonsensical since I don't remember specifics.

A reasonable part of why I liked it was realizing that Takeru's efforts were completely in vain, though. So it actually counted as a plus that he didn't really make a difference in the end- I love stories like that. 

...If I ever re-read this I'll tackle it being nonsensical. 

You know what I forgot to mention in my 2000 posts thread?

That I used this thread ALOT during my lurker days

Idk how I forgot about it

Hihi Marie-hime :sachi:

P.S.

...Oh, damn. I didn't think it would be this soon.

In the next 5 months or so, ok? :P

You have EDIT: 3 months left to write personal comments for each VN :)

It's been a long time since I read it, so I can't refute the ending being nonsensical since I don't remember specifics.

A reasonable part of why I liked it was realizing that Takeru's efforts were completely in vain, though. So it actually counted as a plus that he didn't really make a difference in the end- I love stories like that. 

...If I ever re-read this I'll tackle it being nonsensical. 

Well that's my personal opinion and taste, I believe that if you aim for a sad story you should stick with it or at least don't go for a 180° turn. But I understand why you like it too.

Thanks for the list Marie! Really helping me find some new VNs to play! (also shoutout to Lino for pointing me here)

Does anybody know of a place to get a hold of Deardrops? I've tried every place I could think of but it seems to be missing :amane:  It's the only one I can't seem to find.