50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

Out of the entire list, I'm planning to play few. Though Key's VNs like Little Busters and ReWrite were so boring. I simply and humbly dislike meaningless long useless scenes that will barely have any affect on the story - Little Busters demonstrates that very well. Though the end-result or at least the main story(s) are welcomed in Little Busters but I still didn't feel like playing again to finish the other arcs. I lost motivation to be honest. I only played Kyou and Tomoyo's arc in Clannad. I wanted to play more but the art is so bad in many corners. :/ In the end, I'm not a Key person. I'm an Age and Type-Moon person (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Fate universe, Muv-Luv universe) they do a better job at writing stories.

I give major props to Grisaia no kajitsu, Fate/Stay Night and Muv-Luv Alternative. Those are well worth the time.

Just know I voiced my opinions.

Well, those scenes in LB and RW are just part of what Key tends to do. Some people like them and some people don't- yet those two are good VNs, when we're talking technically. If the list was only here to suit my tastes, I'd only have a bunch of chuuni VNs with great fighting scenes and if possible, no romance.

I do try to list as many genres as possible, though.

nice list and thanks for a few new vn's to put on my to read list.

Lucky for me I already read a few of them and quite a few where already on my to read list.

Tough i must admit i am kinda stupified as to why you would list vn from type moon and key seperatly and not just say all of them.

nice list and thanks for a few new vn's to put on my to read list.

Lucky for me I already read a few of them and quite a few where already on my to read list.

Tough i must admit i am kinda stupified as to why you would list vn from type moon and key seperatly and not just say all of them.

There are Key VNs that end up somewhat low on the list, so they're probably being removed soon enough (when more VNs are translated). Also, the list is supposed to be beginner-friendly. There are newcomers to VNs who have no idea about type-moon, key, etc. If I really were to do this kind of thing, I might as well make a list with the "best" VN companies instead.

If I really were to do this kind of thing, I might as well make a list with the "best" VN companies instead.

...Which is a great idea. C'mon, get to work, chop chop.

Edit;

Clephas already made a "VN companies and their habits" list from what I remember. You might want to check that out.

I'd better start hunting then. 

Edited by Tiagofvarela

...Which is a great idea. C'mon, get to work, chop chop.

Clephas already made a "VN companies and their habits" list from what I remember. You might want to check that out.

Though if there is enough demand, I could make my own version of it~

Really surprised A-Profile is on this list... Just read it today in one go, wish I had stopped after Miku's route (argueably the only route worth reading at all...), I'd argue almost anything is more deserving a spot than that. What about Edelweiss, Cho Dengeki Stryker, Ikikoi, Shinigami no Kiss, Osanadai? Even Otoboku... :\

Really surprised A-Profile is on this list... Just read it today in one go, wish I had stopped after Miku's route (argueably the only route worth reading at all...), I'd argue almost anything is more deserving a spot than that. What about Edelweiss, Cho Dengeki Stryker, Ikikoi, Shinigami no Kiss? Even Otoboku... :\

Well that's usually the case when dealing with AB2 VNs. The main route always outshines the others.

I hope Symphonic Rain will stay here for good. :3

Well that's usually the case when dealing with AB2 VNs. The main route always outshines the others.

I hope Symphonic Rain will stay here for good. :3

I've played some of their other VN's (G-Senjou and Sharin no Kuni), and by their normal standard the main route is the final route. In the case of A-Profile that would be Miou who is the last route (having to go through Rizu and Miku first). Miou's route was the most vile and disgusting thing I've ever read, and I've read some pretty bad things (such as Eroge! and Maman Kyoushitsu)

Really surprised A-Profile is on this list... Just read it today in one go, wish I had stopped after Miku's route (argueably the only route worth reading at all...), I'd argue almost anything is more deserving a spot than that. What about Edelweiss, Cho Dengeki Stryker, Ikikoi, Shinigami no Kiss, Osanadai? Even Otoboku... :\

I've read all of them and I stand by saying A profile is better than the othes. Never could get into Dengeki Stryker, the whole thing just seems ridiculous to me- ikikoi, shinkiss, otoboku and osanadai are just generic VNs. A profile at least is somewhat remarkable.

Edelweiss enters my top worst VNs of all time, though. The comedy is cringe-worthy and the whole thing is just a cup of boredom. 

Can't really please everyone~

I've played some of their other VN's (G-Senjou and Sharin no Kuni), and by their normal standard the main route is the final route. In the case of A-Profile that would be Miou who is the last route (having to go through Rizu and Miku first). Miou's route was the most vile and disgusting thing I've ever read, and I've read some pretty bad things (such as Eroge! and Maman Kyoushitsu)

My bad, I've read it way back so I kind of switched the character names since both of them starts with M.

That being said, while I can't say if it deserves a top 50 spot since I've only read around 40+ VNs, I do think that Himawari Shoujo and G-Senjou are miles better than A Profile.

My bad, I've read it way back so I kind of switched the character names since both of them starts with M.

That being said, while I can't say if it deserves a top 50 spot since I've only read around 40+ VNs, I do think that Himawari Shoujo and G-Senjou are miles better than A Profile.

Well, can't really argue with that. G-senjou and Himawari are indeed miles better than A profile.

A profile at least is somewhat remarkable.

Remarkable in that it was the first VN to make me want to vomit... I'm hoping it's only on this list for Miku's route.

No worries, it happens. Honestly I wouldn't blame you, I'd like to wish I didn't read that final route at all and just accepted the ending with Miku as the true and final ending.

Well, can't really argue with that. G-senjou and Himawari are indeed miles better than A profile.

Of course you can't because I love you ya-chin <3

Remarkable in that it was the first VN to make me want to vomit... I'm hoping it's only on this list for Miku's route.

No worries, it happens. Honestly I wouldn't blame you, I'd like to wish I didn't read that final route at all and just accepted the ending with Miku as the true and final ending.

Well to be honest I don't find it that bad. I guess it's not really your cup of tea.

It's not nearly close to any of the real "vile and disgusting" VNs, though.

If we're talking about writing quality, A profile is better than the other ones you mentioned. I put it there for all routes, not only Miku's one.

The true route of A Profile was kinda meh, Miku route super boring and Miou route was at least a little interesting despite being ugly and all.

I mean, it was the protag's fault in the first place. I liked how he fixed things, though a little bit late.

Her route isn't final actually, as soon as you're done with the true route both Miku and Miou unlock at the same time.

The true route of A Profile was kinda meh, Miku route super boring and Miou route was at least a little interesting despite being ugly and all.

I mean, it was the protag's fault in the first place. I liked how he fixed things, though a little bit late.

Her route isn't final actually, as soon as you're done with the true route both Miku and Miou unlock at the same time.

Weird, it forced me to play Rizu -> Miku -> Miou. Miou is even last in the CG and Events section.

It's technically the sisters fault, she forced them to break up.

Though I would not blame the sister or the protagonist for Miou just being a downright mental case, becoming a prostitute because someone dumped you is stupid and retarded. Her complete lack of all rationality is also shown in Rizu's route when she blackmails her and when she tries to stab Rizu with a syringe of who knows what. Hell its not even like she was all alone, her other childhood friend is absolutely madly in love with her, constantly trying to win her affection - yet she still becomes a prostitute for no apparent reason at all.

They really don't explain all to well why she suddenly became a prostitute, I somehow doubt her explanation of "I don't care who puts it in my hole as long as it feels good" would be the real reason, but the lack of good storytelling leaves that blank.

Weird, it forced me to play Rizu -> Miku -> Miou. Miou is even last in the CG and Events section.

It's technically the sisters fault, she forced them to break up.

Though I would not blame the sister or the protagonist for Miou just being a downright mental case, becoming a prostitute because someone dumped you is stupid and retarded. Her complete lack of all rationality is also shown in Rizu's route when she blackmails her and when she tries to stab Rizu with a syringe of who knows what. Hell its not even like she was all alone, her other childhood friend is absolutely madly in love with her, constantly trying to win her affection - yet she still becomes a prostitute for no apparent reason at all.

They really don't explain all to well why she suddenly became a prostitute, I somehow doubt her explanation of "I don't care who puts it in my hole as long as it feels good" would be the real reason, but the lack of good storytelling leaves that blank.

I played Miou second so idk what you're talking about.

I don't remember her saying that (and if she did, it had to be a lie since she does keep lying out of habit until right before the H-scene). She actually says it wasn't good at all and all of it was just for money she'd use against Rizu, as seen in Rizu's route. That said, just how much money does she need to have to do it so much...

:huh:

They're all at fault actually, Miou just ended up being what you call a broken bird, Rizu was a yandere that got better later, and protag was and still is a god damn moron who just goes with the flow except in routes' endings.

Well, this has turned into an A Profile discussion, hasn't it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,I'm new in the VN world and the first and only VN i ever played is Katawa Shoujo and only played 2 routes.I guess i prefer dramatic eroge type on VNs.May you please tell me which among your list is in my taste.I just googled for best Visual Novels and opening links bought me here and i saw this one interesting and i ended up making an account here just to be able to ask you.Thank you in advanced~

Hi,I'm new in the VN world and the first and only VN i ever played is Katawa Shoujo and only played 2 routes.I guess i prefer dramatic eroge type on VNs.May you please tell me which among your list is in my taste.I just googled for best Visual Novels and opening links bought me here and i saw this one interesting and i ended up making an account here just to be able to ask you.Thank you in advanced~

If you don't mind a heavily opinionated protagonist, you might want to try Grisaia no Kajitsu.  I'd also suggest G-senjou no Maou (not really my thing, but it is really popular). Might want to check out Ef or Katahane as well.

Thank you so much sir.I'm kinda confused why your reply didn't appear in my notification tho o.O

I'll check those things out and is it okay and may i ask,among this list that you made,what can you heavily suggest for me?Three-five titles atleast if you dont mind :)