50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

I saw Sengoku Rance and Daibanchou.

That made me happy.

Honestly, I never thought Alicesoft titles would make it into a list like this, considering the number of people that do not like their style. Which is why some tend to hesitate playing their games.

If the gameplay was considered though, then it's all good.

Daibanchou's a crazy mess of sorts though. Imagine clearing characters without guides...

A rather impossible task.

Anyway good list overall!

I liked the list. I've heard of all of them, but I've yet to play most of them due to personal problems.

I commend you for your effort! <3

Would be nice if you had a comment or two about the games, but this in itself is already a tiring task.

I saw Sengoku Rance and Daibanchou.

That made me happy.

Honestly, I never thought Alicesoft titles would make it into a list like this, considering the number of people that do not like their style. Which is why some tend to hesitate playing their games.

If the gameplay was considered though, then it's all good.

Daibanchou's a crazy mess of sorts though. Imagine clearing characters without guides...

A rather impossible task.

Anyway good list overall!

I liked the list. I've heard of all of them, but I've yet to play most of them due to personal problems.

I commend you for your effort! <3

Would be nice if you had a comment or two about the games, but this in itself is already a tiring task.

If this ever gets to 150.000 views I'll make a personal comment about each of them. Will also re-post on the blog when that happens. All that self-advertising, Hehe~

Alicesoft's style is different, and a lot of people dislike it... I still think they're pretty good. My favorite game from them is Daiteitoku, though. A pity it's not translated. 

If this ever gets to 150.000 views I'll make a personal comment about each of them. Will also re-post on the blog when that happens. All that self-advertising, Hehe~

Alicesoft's style is different, and a lot of people dislike it... I still think they're pretty good. My favorite game from them is Daiteitoku, though. A pity it's not translated. 

Daiteitoku's the game that let down the fanbase the most, as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to play it though, since I really like Alicesoft's style. Missing out on Daiakuji, Pastel Chime, and Blade Briders. I'm still hoping though. Daiteikoku's another case, which is utterly hopeless as of now.

It's good to see someone who likes the games. Hope this gets to 150,000 views fast! <3

• 1 month later...

So just out of curiosity why is Muv Luv Alternative not gracing that list :/ Considering its the highest rated VN on VNDB not to mention as others have mentioned its an amazing VN

It is there. As I said in the first post, I'm not putting them by order of how good they are... It's number 44.

Let me rephrase that, You really cant play MLA with out having played MLU as you're not going to have any idea whats going on other then something bad happened the last ime so why not include it ?

I couldn't stand the first muv-luv and I dropped it. MLA was good enough for the list regardless, even without knowing how all those characters developed. I won't present a crappy game as good enough for the list because of it's majestic sequel. 

Not saying you have to mention the original Muv luv as it was pretty horrible just like altered fable sucked but Muv luv unlimited is pretty crucial to MLA

I'm a long time VN player, and I did read unlimited later (savedatas for the win) 

I will say that it didn't make much of a different during alternative to me. The development in unlimited isn't too hard to figure out, and alternative was touching even without knowing it. I stand by saying alternative is good enough as a standalone. 

Tbh, if you had a summary of Unlimited, that is all you would need to understand MLA...

Nah, Unlimited's good on its own, and there's something to be said for experiencing first hand how Takeru deals with his new reality

and then everything goes to shit.

Besides, it's not like it takes an herculean effort to reach Unlimited, with a walkthrough, you can be done with Extra in an hour or so...

In my honest opinion Unlimted sets the tone for Alternative for a few reasons to be honest. For one if you dont play unlimited then you have no clue what Alternative V is, why Kasumi is so quiet and attached to the brain; along with various other plot points so by saying you can read a summary of it you will still be in the dark for a good portion of some of the things mentioned and talked about. Unlimited is crucical in my opinion as it sets the stage and tone and while Alternative goes into detail about the entire plot and starts closing some of the plot holes that unlimited laid out on the table. and to say to skip it would be like telling someone to go read F/HF with out having read the other 2 routes and expect people to know what is going on.  In closing though if you skip unlimited then you dont really feel the sense of urgency as to why Takeru does some of the things he does in alternative on top of that you really cant connect with him when it comes to various character deaths and why he takes them as he does.

• 3 weeks later...

Great list Im still pretty new to VN´s so I find it awesome that you made such a great list, as suggested above it would be great if you gave a personal opinion on every VN.

Also I just want to ask for a VN with a super badass MC I know its a dick move when theres already such a great list but I just want a male lead that kicks ass all the time, any suggestions?

Great list Im still pretty new to VN´s so I find it awesome that you made such a great list, as suggested above it would be great if you gave a personal opinion on every VN.

Also I just want to ask for a VN with a super badass MC I know its a dick move when theres already such a great list but I just want a male lead that kicks ass all the time, any suggestions?

Grisaia no Kajitsu  :makina:  :amane:  :sachi:  :yumiko:  :michiru:

Btw welcome to the forums, and of course, the wonderful world of visual novels~   :mare:

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts about what should or shouldn't be there now that I changed the list. 

Well, only cause you asked :P

I wouldn’t be a good person to ask for what to include, for many reasons. I’ll list them for you:

1 – I like otome (so things like Hakuoki would be on there)

2 – I like gameplay VNs (so things like LittleWitch Romanesque for its excellent sim gameplay.)

3 – I like OELVN's, mostly because of the above two points (so stuff like Scheherazade would be on there. Then I'd try and push the boundaries to include Academagia, even though it's an interactive fiction/sim hybrid and not a visual novel/sim hybrid :P)

4 – I like things to be logically consistent, so I’d either take a very narrow view of what a VN is and be consistent with that (which would generate complaints, as I think yours did when you didn't include gameplay?) or I’d take in a very wide view of what a VN is (which would mean Phoenix Wright will be on there…) I find your list to be a little inconsistent but I'll get to that in a minute.

As you can see, my suggestions wouldn't be good suggestions for your list.

My disagreements with your list:

Well, you say you’re judging things on story only but you included Sengoku Rance. As a fan of Sengoku Rance I can tell you that almost all of the appeal of that game is its solid turn-based-strategy gameplay… and the sex scenes. In fact, I'd categorise it as a strategy game first, and a VN second. If you include Rance I'd ask why you haven't included Kamidori. Both don't have very good stories but are well received mainly because of the gameplay.

Daibanchou – see above.

You have things on there like Dangan Ronpa and 999 but not Phoenix Wright. I understand you’re probably using VNDB’s definitions, but they’re dreadfully inconsistent, which is part of the reason Fuwa should provide its own, liberal definitions. Phoenix Wright deserves a spot if Dangan Ronpa is on there imo.

Speaking of which, I found 999 to be dreadfully overrated also. It has a bloated and repetitive storytelling style which didn’t appeal to me. WinkBlinkel kept trying to shove it down my throat cause I kept trying to shove Divinity: Original Sin down his throat. Neither of us were successful.

The next two points are VERY opinion based:

I hate Kira Kira with a passion because of the level of boredom it produced in me. The level was more than any human could bear…

I think Dysfunctional Systems is grossly overrated. The art is nice but, once again, not a fan of the prose.

But at the end of the day this is your list and I wouldn't worry that I disagree with it. You've read a lot more VNs then I have, and overall it's quite a solid list of good introductory VNs. Your taste just isn't compatible with my tastes (I don't like dark or gross stuff, so I won't be touching Saya no Uta with a 10 foot pole, for example.)