50 translated VNs you should read before you die

Kaguya

• 4 weeks later...

I read 'translated' VNs and then I read 'dysfunctional systems'. 

Basically this is warning that I should start buying visual novels and see for myself if they are worth it rather than relying on someone else's recommendation. 

oh, and zero escape > 999 for me.

I read 'translated' VNs and then I read 'dysfunctional systems'. 

Basically this is warning that I should start buying visual novels and see for myself if they are worth it rather than relying on someone else's recommendation. 

oh, and zero escape > 999 for me.

Haha. I know it's originally in EN, but "translated" sounds much better than "in english", even if not 100% accurate.

Not a fan of zero escape. 

Hanachirasu added, 999 removed.

With 2 or 3 more games, the list will completely run out of average stuff and I doubt I'll be making changes to it. At that point, I'll make comments about each game. 

I kinda understand this... After all,  there are a lot of Sci-Fi VNs on the list, but I'm still a bit surprised. Haven't played most of these though, I should get to it.

• 1 month later...

Great list to refer back to, I've only read 6 of these but there's at least 30 on here that I wanna check... pretty sure I can hear my wallet screaming.

Sci-fi works well I'd imagine as the situations that occur in them allow for the most erratic and uncertain character traits to come out, so when you throw in the element of choice as well the character depth that can be investigate is huge. Also it can stop things becoming too sickly, which is more often a problem in slice-of-life stories (obviously there are many exceptions, but just a thought).

Pssst....Kaguya-sama!!

...Oh, damn. I didn't think it would be this soon.

In the next 5 months or so, ok? :P

Hihi Marie-hime :sachi:

P.S.

You have EDIT: 3 months left to write personal comments for each VN :)

Eeeeeh? It's already march? 

Tasukete...  :kosame:  :kosame:  :kosame:

~10 days remain.

@Kaguya, I don't understand why did ya put LB! in the list if you didn't think it was great. I mean, I know you liked it but as you said in the other thread you didn't think it was great. And then you say this...

Hm... me not liking it and it sucking are different things? 

When I talked about it earlier it was more of a "to me" thing, so my likes and dislikes played a higher part than the actual story... And I was comparing it to all VNs I've read, not only EN titles, which really puts most VNs in this list as mediocre... LB is one of the worse ones here, too.

...They're still good compared to what we have translated, though. 

Pssst....Kaguya-sama!!

~10 days remain.

...Damn. 

You really shouldn't pretend that this list is in any way subjective. If that's what people want, they could just go to VNDB and sort by rating, to get the community consensus on the best VNs.

Both are subjective. 

This one is based on my experience and feelings, that one is based on the same thing, except the experience and feelings in question are of a larger userbase. 

The value of my list mostly comes from all of it coming from the same (and a well-experienced) VN reader, so you don't get specific titles inexplicably high or low. It still has it's fair share of bias, though. I probably rate chuuni works a bit too highly.

I mean, VNDB rated Kono Oozora as something near 8. That's freaking Ayakashibito's score. Even comparing it to EN-only titles, I wouldn't give it more than a 6 (nice art is the only thing it has going for it... lol).

So yeah, the list is more or less for people with 1- similar tastes and 2- less experience. I'll remove the more iffy works that are there and don't really fit my tastes as well once we have more EN variety (next ones on the list to leave are Clannad, Little Busters, Katawa Shoujo, Deardrops, Aoishiro and Ef, not in any particular order).

I am actually a big fat dummy and meant to say "objective" but I will leave my mistake in for all to laugh at. I took including Little Busters despite not liking it as a sign that you were trying to make the list somewhat objective.

I am actually a big fat dummy and meant to say "objective" but I will leave my mistake in for all to laugh at. I took including Little Busters despite not liking it as a sign that you were trying to make the list somewhat objective.

I want it to be consistent in it's ratings, so I guess you could say it is. LB and Clannad have several problems (hope Key fanboys don't kill me for disliking them, Planetarian is good enough but the others aren't), Deadrops, Aoishiro and Ef are more to the average side and Katawa Shoujo is solid, but definitely doesn't live up to it's hype. 

I'm painfully aware of rating chuuni and utsuge very highly, but I can't really find a way to stop doing that. I do enjoy good charage and other romance stories, so the list is probably valid enough for people who don't share my tastes either. 

By me all sequels should be joined with the parent. As no point to check Kagetsu Tohya or Hollow Ataraxia, unless you read Tsukihime and Fate (I imagine how much confused would be, if you do so. also obv would be major spoilers for the parent games).

Also, by themselves they are not great at all (means if you did not just read Tsukihime/Fate, got impacted and want MOAR of Tohsaka's defenseless anus /joking, obv, but only for 50% :)/). 999, which was removed, is just so MUCH better than that.

Also, why not add something like Hotel Dusk?

I didn't remove Ataraxia yet?

Huh.

...I'll do that first.

Alright, I'll add the commentaries after I removed everything I want to remove (meaning, when we get 8 new good EN VNs. It's reasonable, right?)

It’s a subjective list and 999 doesn’t appeal to everyone.

Story is decent and twists are sometimes mindblowing, also text translation itself is quite good. Repetitive? Did you read Kagetsu Tohya or Ever17? That's what you call "REPETITIVE" :) And if play 999 the way it supposed (not reading 999 The Novel), on NDS, it delivers quite a lot, nice amount of decent puzzles (but not insane hard like were some in VLR).

And actually, I was telling that there are still fillers like Hollow Ataraxia in list, which are actually much worse, if compare with 999. It is not like I am fan of Uchikoshi writing (I like Looseboy or Urobuchi stories much more).

But actually any VN is nowhere near your usual fiction. They all full of fillers (about 10 or more of 15-20 minute scenes, where Shirou/Sakura/whoever cook rice/vegetables/whatever in Fate? My wife thought I am reading a cooking manual and decided to be a rice-eater!), G Senjou no Maou - 90% of scenes with Eiichi and most of school scenes could be easily removed, Tsukihime - 90% of scenes like "I woke up, Hisui greeted me, I eat breakfast, Akiha not amused, I went to school" repeated for at least 15-20 times without any significant changes...

So really, if you remove all the fillers and blablabla, you would get 4-6 hour VN instead of 50. That's your Saya no Uta, I would say, I do not remember any other example of a novel which have more than 3 characters and have almost no unneeded elements.

So if you read VN, you actually should be prepared for tons of text, which is not relevant/have almost no impact and occupying 50% of the novel :) So why complain about 999 in having all that, while all other VN are folliwing this scheme so strictly, that I even think this is canonical to be a VN :)