Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Kaguya

Which anime released in the past decade will become classics?

Recommended Posts

I'm assuming personal bias's are off the table and you're talking about things like Princess Mononoke, Ghost in The Shell, Spirited Away, etc? 

If that is the case then from an objective standpoint I believe Steins;Gate, FMA Brotherhood, Death Note, The Monogatari series, and Madoka Magica are the best bets. As to why I am led to think this is really straight forward, they are all already extremely popular and to some extent already regarded to as classics. Death Note is known around the world, even to some who have never watched anime. The Monogatari series is also very popular and has an extremely unique way of storytelling and animation. In regard to Madoka Magica I feel like everyone already thinks it's a classic. Even though I have watched it I can't say anything in particular about it, though when I think of it I think "must watch". Finally for FMA Brotherhood this one is a complete air ball for me. I've never watched it (dropped it ep 2 since I thought the original was better) but it is seen far and wide by the anime community as one the best around. 

If I was being subjective Chihayafuru, Kimi ni Todoke (which I believe could be included in the "objective standpoint" of classics), and Usagi Drop. 

---

Notable mentions that may already be classics:

Fate/Stay 

Soul Eater

Angel Beats

^ I thought of these later and didn't want to make more sentences :miyako:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clannad and especially Clannad Afterstory. I don't think that there any many shows that can really compare to how much of an emotional roller coaster this show is. There are other shows that'll make you cry and what not but I don't think any do as much as Clannad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clannad and Clannad Afterstory will definitely go down as classics.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Steins;Gate

Spice and Wolf is already considered an anime classic (heh).

There were a lot of good anime's, just more bad ones. :rimu:

EDIT: Whoopsie, forgot Fate/Zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nothing really new to add here. Full metal alchemist brotherhood for the reason that ittaku mentions.

 

clannad and especially its second season for the reason Polycentric mentions.

 

and Spice and wolf for its better handling of two characters interactions with each other as well as making the world they live in quite believable with its handling of money, politics, contracts that ive never really seen in any other anime. plus, holo is just adowable.
 

eBODfAC.jpg

 

might throw in SAO. never seen it but it was the talk of the interweb for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Samurai Champloo, lest we forget. The mix of western hip hop and eastern edo-period culture made for an entertaining ride full of comedic and very human moments. The animation was no joke either! It's definitely a classic for me. The same way Cowboy Bebop was a classic from the late nineties. The multifaceted elements of the anime just made for a unique experience.

PS: The music was amazing, Nujabes :kosame:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DharmaFreedom said:

Samurai Champloo, lest we forget. The mix of western hip hop and eastern edo-period culture made for an entertaining ride full of comedic and very human moments. The animation was no joke either! It's definitely a classic for me. The same way Cowboy Bebop was a classic from the late nineties. The multifaceted elements of the anime just made for a unique experience.

PS: The music was amazing, Nujabes :kosame:.

Samurai Champloo is too old, plus it's already a classic (at least I feel it is). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say Code Geass is pretty much already considered a classic of its genre, as is FMA: Brotherhood.

I think Hajime no Ippo also gets its place as a classic of the sports genre.

I mostly agree with the anime people are mentioning, except for a couple, maybe. I think the Monogatari are too niche, and not in the "FLCL kind of niche" way, for them to ever be more than "Monogatari being Monogatari." My other doubt is far stronger, as LiquidShu mentioned  Kimi ni Todoke, which I feel is actually right in the area of "not too good romance, so I cannot even imagine it ever being a classic."

Are we considering bad classics, too? Like, stuff that will go down in history for being woefully terrible? Cuz, if so, I nominate SAO to win all prizes in that category. I'd also nominate Asterisk War, but it died as fast as it rose, even though it's even more suicide-inducing than SAO (wow, I ended up ranting)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the answers I'm thinking have already been taken, but I'll just add my two cents.

When I first started watching anime as a hobby back in 2010, the first thing I looked up was all the 'top-tier' anime that many considered to be the best. Whether or not 'the best' and 'classic' are mutually exclusive is subjective of course, but I feel that it's worth considering the relationship they share. Code Geass, FMA:B, Clannad After Story, Hajime no Ippo, Death Note, etc. have all shared the MAL Top 10 Anime ranking at least once in the past decade, and I felt those can be considered classics, as do many people here.

To add on what others haven't mentioned, Hell Girl. I feel like while it isn't 'the best', this is one of those cases where an anime as uniquely looking as this (in terms of style, if not story) can be considered a classic. It's one of those anime you would look back to and think about when a similar anime pops up because it features such a distinct style that grabs your attention.

Attack on Titan is a bit too soon, but I'm sure that will sink in as a classic in the next decade too, though I wouldn't necessarily agree with so since I didn't really find it that unique or amazing... Then again, I disliked the second-half of Death Note. :makina: Same with One Punch Man, which a lot of people would be sure to remember fondly.

Gintama is a bit niche, but among shounen, I feel like it deserves a spot for being more clever than other shounen titles (and funnier IMO). The same goes for Mushishi, another unique anime that would sure be remembered as a classic anime with a calming atmosphere. It's practically the past decade's "Kino's Journey".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanna say Ping Pong the Animation.
Its art style will let it remain timeless, it's largely unconventional, and since it's not simply just a sports anime it will have wider appeal I think.
 

Also, Gurren Lagann is still within the last decade, so that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nohman said:

I wanna say Ping Pong the Animation.
Its art style will let it remain timeless, it's largely unconventional, and since it's not simply just a sports anime it will have wider appeal I think.
 

Also, Gurren Lagann is still within the last decade, so that.

I wanted to throw Gurren Lagann in but I can't remember if it was popular in Japan or not. Not to say different regions can't have different view points of classics though. 

While we're at it should we throw Kill la Kill or Ninja Slayer from Animation in as well? :wahaha:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal tastes aside, I'd consider an anime a classic if people continue to talk about it going into the next decade. It's a hard call to make, as there's no telling what will carry on its hype in years to come. Most of the anime I see nowadays seem to be going for short-term hype, and even some of the better shows may eventually fade into obscurity once its airing has come to past. That being said, I do believe there are a few that may be worth mentioning.

Death Note would be something of an easy pick. That aired somewhere towards the beginning of the decade period, and it's still among the most popular anime to date. As someone who was exposed to the series on TV during my late teen years, I really can't say how much it appealed to me as an intellectual series, and I'm due for a refresh on the story (I'll probably read the manga). That said, it definitely came off as a unique experience to me at the time, and I was immensely interested in the plot.

SAO is a pretty odd case, but I think this will continue to collect interest and continue to be a subject of discussion in later years as well. Its premise is enough to attract and appeal to a certain demographic within the anime community (especially newcomers), and its story will continue to be the thing that inspires critics to throw their fits of rage and bring even more attention to the series. I really don't like the idea that something like SAO would go on to represent this generation of anime as a classic when there are so many less popular shows that are better than it, but that is, unfortunately, the reality. I won't lie, I did like this anime quite a bit, but I didn't really think it was anything spectacular.

Steins;Gate. With this being my 2nd favorite anime, I know I'm probably a little biased here, but I sincerely do believe this will stand the test of time (lol) and continue to draw an audience in years to come. It's the kind of anime that has a massive appeal on both casual and critical viewers, and it's the kind of show you just love to love. People will frequently see it on the favorites list of others, and will likely pick it up just to see what all the hubbub is about, and they will probably end up spreading more words of joy and keep its momentum alive. The protagonist is easy to like (and easy to quote, lol), the rest of the cast is very solid, and the plot twists make for a highly engaging watch.

Anyways, I'm kinda drained. There are other anime I could talk about, but I don't entirely feel like it. :holo:

2 hours ago, nohman said:

I wanna say Ping Pong the Animation.
Its art style will let it remain timeless, it's largely unconventional, and since it's not simply just a sports anime it will have wider appeal I think.

You know, honestly, I hope it does. I haven't watched it yet (trust me, I plan to), but the general impression I have is that it's better at generating short-term enthusiasm than it is at generating interest. That enthusiasm may eventually drive it to become a widespread anime of interest, but somehow I doubt it. It's been over one year since it finished airing, and I don't see a lot of people talking about it. By the end of this 10-year period, it'll likely fall into obscurity. That said, I'm personally very interested in watching this and can't wait to eventually get around to it. It'll likely be the first thing I pick up by the time I finish a certain part of my backlog (which involves finishing everything I started, which will take a while).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Objectively speaking, maybe Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online? While I think some magical girl anime like Fullmoon wo Sagashite and Cardcaptor Sakura was good here (Especially Cardcaptor Sakura which already had some strong fanbase). Other than that, I don't know much here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lucius said:

Attack on Titan is a bit too soon, but I'm sure that will sink in as a classic in the next decade too, though I wouldn't necessarily agree with so since I didn't really find it that unique or amazing... Then again, I disliked the second-half of Death Note. :makina: Same with One Punch Man, which a lot of people would be sure to remember fondly.

Gintama is a bit niche, but among shounen, I feel like it deserves a spot for being more clever than other shounen titles (and funnier IMO). The same goes for Mushishi, another unique anime that would sure be remembered as a classic anime with a calming atmosphere. It's practically the past decade's "Kino's Journey".

Dang true, I forgot about Gintama. It's not very popular with some groups/fans, but I'd already call it a classic, really.

I do wonder about AoT, though, as it's in a funny position. In one hand, it did bring many people into anime and thus establish itself as a "starting" anime and the core for many people. On the other, I personally believe that it's a bit too flawed to consider it much more than an interesting concept brought to life.

8 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood shouldn't really apply, considering it's a re-release of a much older anime and comes under the umbrella term 'Full Metal Alchemist' which is already a classic. 

Well, the first one goes past the decade by just 3 years. But considering that both are adaptations, and Brotherhood is the one truthful to the original material, I think it's pretty safe to pick that one as the classic, instead of going to the other just because it was there first. Apart from the more obvious point, that Brotherhood completely eclipsed the 2003 anime, to the point that most people directly recommend skipping it altogether unless you really like FMA in general and want as much as of it as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lucius said:

Depends on whom you ask, I guess. Sure.

A sentiment which applies to any series.

Just now, Jun Inoue said:

Well, the first one goes past the decade by just 3 years. But considering that both are adaptations, and Brotherhood is the one truthful to the original material, I think it's pretty safe to pick that one as the classic, instead of going to the other just because it was there first. Apart from the more obvious point, that Brotherhood completely eclipsed the 2003 anime, to the point that most people directly recommend skipping it altogether unless you really like FMA in general and want as much as of it as possible.

Not really. Both are decent series, and from what I've seen and heard people tend to think they're fairly comparable, each having their pros and cons - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=455695

The fact remains though, even if Brotherhood is better than the original (and I suppose it is more 'shounen-esque') the original was considered a much watch BEFORE Brotherhood came out. Similar in the ways DBZ was a classic BEFORE Kai. Do we say DBZ Kai is a classic anime on it's own, or do we just call it all DBZ and be done with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rooke said:

A sentiment which applies to any series.

Not really. Both are decent series, and from what I've seen and heard people tend to think they're fairly comparable, each having their pros and cons - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=455695

The fact remains though, even if Brotherhood is better than the original (and I suppose it is more 'shounen-esque') the original was considered a much watch BEFORE Brotherhood came out. Similar in the ways DBZ was a classic BEFORE Kai. Do we say DBZ Kai is a classic anime on it's own, or do we just call it all DBZ and be done with it?

A sentiment which could apply to any series you like. At the end of the day - subjective. :makina:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rooke said:

A sentiment which applies to any series.

Not really. Both are decent series, and from what I've seen and heard people tend to think they're fairly comparable, each having their pros and cons - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=455695

The fact remains though, even if Brotherhood is better than the original (and I suppose it is more 'shounen-esque') the original was considered a much watch BEFORE Brotherhood came out. Similar in the ways DBZ was a classic BEFORE Kai. Do we say DBZ Kai is a classic anime on it's own, or do we just call it all DBZ and be done with it?

Both are indeed comparable, but the core point sort of stands, with Brotherhood being more of an actual anime adaptation of FMA, while the 2003 anime went on to become something different (while good in its own right). I'd say that DBZ and Kai are closer to each other, since the latter is more of a refined version of the former.

And, well, FMA was considered a must-watch before, yeah... but that's the thing, there was nothing to compare to. That's why I used the word "eclipsed" before. The 2003 still has lots of fans, but in most of the discussions I've ever seen, the general opinion is that Brotherhood pretty much took the place of the "actual" FMA anime, and the 2003 one is a a different anime that some will remember, and even prefer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't really compare FMA/FMAB to DBZ. One is based on a manga that had a planned complete storyline and only FMAB portrayed the entire storyline. Yes you can logic your way out of anything but FMAB is legendary. As far as I can see, only nostalgia made people like the first incarnation of FMA. To me there was no comparison though. /opinion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jun Inoue said:

Both are indeed comparable, but the core point sort of stands, with Brotherhood being more of an actual anime adaptation of FMA, while the 2003 anime went on to become something different (while good in its own right). I'd say that DBZ and Kai are closer to each other, since the latter is more of a refined version of the former.

And, well, FMA was considered a must-watch before, yeah... but that's the thing, there was nothing to compare to. That's why I used the word "eclipsed" before. The 2003 still has lots of fans, but in most of the discussions I've ever seen, the general opinion is that Brotherhood pretty much took the place of the "actual" FMA anime, and the 2003 one is a a different anime that some will remember, and even prefer.

You'd be wrong with respect to Kai. Kai removes all the filler inserted into the anime that is not present in the manga. It also reverts the pacing to more like the manga also. It is, all round, a much more authentic adaption than the original DBZ anime.

For sakes of consistency, if you were to say FMA:Brotherhood is a recent classic then for the same reasons you'd have to say DBZ:Kai is a recent classic, and nobody refers to it as such (even though it is generally seen as a superior adaption.)

2 minutes ago, ittaku said:

Can't really compare FMA/FMAB to DBZ. 

You can. Both original series modified the original content, both later put out anime series to rectify that. FMA may not have had an ending, but that's only because they didn't pull a Frieza '5 minute' moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rooke said:

You'd be wrong with respect to Kai. Kai removes all the filler inserted into the anime that is not present in the manga. It also reverts the pacing to more like the manga also. It is, all round, a much more authentic adaption than the original DBZ anime.

My bad then, for I was pulling shit out of my arse when talking about DBZ since I know zero about the manga and the anime(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...