What Video Games Are You Playing Right Now?

solidbatman

For a while now I’ve been going through my backlog by playing the oldest I have, then the newest, next oldest, etc.  Right now I’m on Crimson Gem Saga.  I like the story and characters, but I’m only on chapter II and sooooo tired of the battle system, especially with ambushing the enemy being so important and yet they have eyes in the back of their heads :reeee:

On 10/13/2017 at 9:28 PM, Kenshin_sama said:

I agree with you on the Trance system. I also prefer saving power-ups for boss battles, but it's hard to do so when it triggers automatically. FFIX is the only game in the franchise I know that does this (they even stopped doing it in X). As much as I enjoy the card game, the damage calculation seems completely random to me. Like, I kinda understand how some cards hit harder than others, but idk what triggers their intensified damage bursts (if there is a logic to it, please don't tell me). I haven't played FFVIII yet, so I'm not sure how Tripple Triad compares. And yeah, the OST is very refreshing as well. I've always enjoyed Uematsu's work. :)

As for Trance, actually there's some several ways to managed that. But in the end it's still a waste though because it could be occurred randomly, and most importantly it could be depleted over time which is more noticeable when Zidane in Trance mode was stealing from the boss (Main target of Trance) and the gauge was depleted. In regard of Overdrive from X it was closer to VII, while IX was closer to VIII which ironically was a letdown because while Limit Break in VIII occur randomly, you could still save the power for the big boss and unleash it. In the end, perhaps Square realize that Trance system was failed and overhauling it at X.

As for Triple Triad, it was far more simple than Tetra Master. If you want to knew, I'll attach the video below and by the way it's from VIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-XaCun50JE

Edited by littleshogun

10 hours ago, littleshogun said:

As for Trance, actually there's some several ways to managed that. But in the end it's still a waste though because it could be occurred randomly, and most importantly it could be depleted over time which is more noticeable when Zidane in Trance mode was stealing from the boss (Main target of Trance) and the gauge was depleted. In regard of Overdrive from X it was closer to VII, while IX was closer to VIII which ironically was a letdown because while Limit Break in VIII occur randomly, you could still save the power for the big boss and unleash it. In the end, perhaps Square realize that Trance system was failed and overhauling it at X.

As for Triple Triad, it was far more simple than Tetra Master. If you want to knew, I'll attach the video below and by the way it's from VIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-XaCun50JE

Yeah, I have thought about ways to make trance work a little better for me, but I just haven't found a reason to care that much since the bosses aren't that hard. The Limit Break in VIII sounds more desirable to me since I usually save that kind of thing for bosses, and I'm sure they'll be spaced out enough for me to get it back up again in between (at least that's how FF games usually go).

Yeah, that Triple Triad does seem a lot more simplified that Tetra Master. I am cringing a little at the absence of an instant rematch though.

I don't know if I'll be needing it later (hopefully not), but I'm kinda dropping Tetra Master for now. Although it was fun at first, I've just about lost all care for it now.

1 hour ago, Akshay said:

Starting Dark Souls 3. 

If it follows the difficulty levels of the other 2 games, this is gonna take me forever.

It's kind of Dark Souls 1 + Bloodborne. If you've played this last one, I recommend you tackle 3 with the same mentality. If you haven't... I recommend that you switch to speedy fighting, moving and dodging and so on. An aggressive playstyle.

3 minutes ago, Akshay said:

300+ hrs burnt on this

Oh boy, on a single playthrough? :sacchan:

Mostly telling you that because Bloodborne influenced the change in the style for the mechanics in Dark Souls 3. You'll probably see soon enough that the fighting is less sluggish than in 1, and encourages aggressiveness.

3 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Oh boy, on a single playthrough? :sacchan:

Mostly telling you that because Bloodborne influenced the change in the style for the mechanics in Dark Souls 3. You'll probably see soon enough that the fighting is less sluggish than in 1, and encourages aggressiveness.

My bad, I meant the franchise (1 and 2). And hard mode is hard.

Haven't ever played bloodborne though.

Finally found the time to start 3.

I literally have 3TB of unwatched anime, 15 games I still wanna play, and a ton of VN's in my backlog. 

On 10/29/2017 at 2:11 AM, kooolm said:

Having problems with my Assassin's Creed marathon. Until AC3 it felt good and I was genuinely intrigued by the modern-time plot but now it just feels forced and the Connor gameplay feels repetitive and so recycled that I'm on the verge of quitting, really.

The AC universe gameplay rarely changes. I played the original trilogy (struggled through AC3 out of boredom), skipped everything after until Black Flag (loved Black Flag but still felt it had a bit too much repetitiveness), skipped everything after and honestly Origins from the little I sampled has a much needed revamped combat system although I doubt I'm going to pick it up. 

Still playing Divinity Original Sin II but I'm also now playing Grim Dawn with a friend every so often as well. I will probably pick up the .Hack trilogy + vol.4 re-release and Tales of Cold Steel II for PC but after that I'm done with games until next year (assuming I can afford any).

Wolfenstein II - Beat it in one single session. It is a fantastic game that I love and hate. I think the narrative is amazing but the game falls flat with the gameplay design, for me personally. The game wants you to be on the move at all times but the combat areas are far too narrow to really make me feel comfortable moving around. Also, the dumb health system is blah and the guns also don't really feel satisfying to me. Other than that, the game pulls off some amazing moments that legitimately blew me away. Some great characters too. 

Other stuff: PUBG, Halo 5. Fun Fun. I'll probably get COD:WII and see if I dig the MP, although the maps in the beta did not give me confidence. 

I finally finished Tales of Zestiria, after starting it probably six months ago. One brief spoilerish thought on the story overall:

Spoiler

I get that Mikleo and Sorey are basically the "couple" in this game. There's no romance going on in the main party at all, so the bromance there is basically all you've got. Thus, the final moment in the ending where they're reunited is clearly supposed to be the sweet part of the bittersweet ending. However, the Sorey and Mikleo thing never really felt all that strong to me. This is, most likely, my problem: I bond way more strongly with female characters than with male characters, generally, and Rose in particular holds a special place in my heart, but got pretty screwed by the game in general, including but not limited to the ending. At any rate, regardless of the reason, the end result was that Zestiria's ending was way more bitter than sweet for me, and felt like one heck of a downer. I actually even felt more positive about Xillia 2's super bittersweet pair of "good" and "true" endings than I feel about Zestiria's ending.

That complaining aside, I enjoyed it well enough. As I've once seen a Tales game rated before, I would rate this one: a Tales game out of ten. They're pretty much never my favorite, but they are pleasant. Also, the translation was bananas good, so that was nice.

After I finished (that was a few days ago), the very next day I picked up Berseria, though I've hardly gotten anywhere with it (at least my main character got her proper "clothes", I guess, but I still don't have a party, for instance). I'm pretty stoked for Berseria, overall: badass female leads are my jam, and by all accounts, it's the best Tales game in a long time. Who knows, maybe this will be the Tales game that finally blows me away the way Vesperia did, a long time ago.

6 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I finally finished Tales of Zestiria, after starting it probably six months ago. One brief spoilerish thought on the story overall:

Reveal hidden contents

I get that Mikleo and Sorey are basically the "couple" in this game. There's no romance going on in the main party at all, so the bromance there is basically all you've got. Thus, the final moment in the ending where they're reunited is clearly supposed to be the sweet part of the bittersweet ending. However, the Sorey and Mikleo thing never really felt all that strong to me. This is, most likely, my problem: I bond way more strongly with female characters than with male characters, generally, and Rose in particular holds a special place in my heart, but got pretty screwed by the game in general, including but not limited to the ending. At any rate, regardless of the reason, the end result was that Zestiria's ending was way more bitter than sweet for me, and felt like one heck of a downer. I actually even felt more positive about Xillia 2's super bittersweet pair of "good" and "true" endings than I feel about Zestiria's ending.

That complaining aside, I enjoyed it well enough. As I've once seen a Tales game rated before, I would rate this one: a Tales game out of ten. They're pretty much never my favorite, but they are pleasant. Also, the translation was bananas good, so that was nice.

After I finished (that was a few days ago), the very next day I picked up Berseria, though I've hardly gotten anywhere with it (at least my main character got her proper "clothes", I guess, but I still don't have a party, for instance). I'm pretty stoked for Berseria, overall: badass female leads are my jam, and by all accounts, it's the best Tales game in a long time. Who knows, maybe this will be the Tales game that finally blows me away the way Vesperia did, a long time ago.

I have both Zestiria and Berseria collecting dust on my shelf, should probably get around to playing them sometime... In general I've never played a Tales game so i have no idea what they're about.

Still gotta get through all them Ateliers though :notlikemiya:

Finished tales of Xillia.

i'd separate the game in two parts, attention, spoiler ahead.

Spoiler

Part 1 : the fucking run for your lives!

Aka, Millia and a random uninteresting dude meets up with ma boi Alvin and are running around the globe for discovering a conspiracy involving the use of a super weapon, Kresnik no yari, capable of killing spirits as well as human beings, in their adventures, Millia and random dude discovers uninteresting supporting characters and my favourite character of the game : Gaius-sama, aka the 1000 ft katana, this dude makes the game 100x times more interesting, and overall, the story in this part is kinda interesting, the interractions between the lord of the spirits and everyone is fun, and i love the fact they didn't make her an over oblivious and naive character, quite the contrary, she has some sick burns and is totally aware of herself "i chose a female body to please half the human population", and while there are some super padding moments (the whole Leland arc is shit, quite frankly, and who the fuck cares about random uninteresting dude anyway?)
But then, everything changes during the "final" battle, and we go to the second part of the game.

Part 2 : what the fuck am i even playing.

Shit hits the fan, Kresnik no Yari turns out to be an anti-shield weapon used by an organisation called rakushuku and they are actually human aliens with spaceships invading our planet, Millia gets betrayed by random uninteresting spirit grill and random uninteresting dude becomes a bit more interesting.
Blablabla resurrection, blablabla we fight Gaius a milion times and he is still THICC, blablabla the randomest romance ever, blablabla Milla becomes the real spirit lord and finally, random uninteresting dude becomes a random interesting guy.

Overall, i enjoyed the game.

After so many years of putting it down and picking it back up, I was finally able to beat Zelda Ocarina of Time without a guide last night. And when I say long time, I mean back when the N64 was current gen, lol. Even when I picked up the 3DS remake, I was still getting stuck on a lot of occasions and rage quitting every time. But with how my attention to detail has improved drastically over the years, I was able to beat the game somewhat easily this time (although I still got stuck in a bunch of times and had to rely on in-game tips). Beating Ganon felt nice.

Have not yet started the bonus mode though, so I'll still have something to play while I'm out (I don't have that many 3DS games).

48 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

After so many years of putting it down and picking it back up, I was finally able to beat Zelda Ocarina of Time without a guide last night.

Wow, someone's actually been stalling OoT even longer than I have :D

I really don't like OoT, just don't find it interesting in practically any way. 

Playing Dark Souls II: SotFS. Currently it's the #3 game I've spent the most time on (some 150+ hours in Terraria followed by 115+ on Persona 5), but it's long since stopped being delightful. Don't know if I'm even enjoying it or hating it, but I'll definitely finish it. Currently done with all the main game content, and doing the DLCs. Did the Crown of the Sunken King DLC, and while the level design was decent I hated the Dragon Sanctum. Currently doing the Iron King DLC, which means I'm currently in the Brume Tower, which might be one of my favorite areas alongside Majula, Dragon Shrine and Heide's Tower of Flame. The verticality is great and even though the path to the third bonfire is pretty linear it really opens up afterwards.

DSII's level design, lighting, and movement/animations/feedback/"feel" just don't come close to DS1, which I now adore. Lore is nowhere as interesting as Lordran's, either. Boss design is generic as hell. The game looked fucking amazing before release with the old lighting engine. The new engine just makes everything look dull, which kind of might be the point, but it only makes the game itself feel dull and forgettable.

27 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

I really don't like OoT, just don't find it interesting in practically any way. 

What really sold the game for me was its exceptional execution of gameplay. Between the level designs, combat, scaling, and minigames, the attention to detail on every aspect of the game was damn-near flawless. I thought the graphics were amazing at the time it first came out, and even looks okay by today's standards (which is saying a lot for an N64 game).

The only thing that kept me from finishing it was the dungeon difficulty. Oftentimes, I'd have to take some time off and play over and over again to figure out how to get past an obstacle.

6 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

I guess I'm the new record holder. I've been stalling it as long as Kenshin, apparently for the same reasons as him (and likewise, in spite of picking it up again on the 3DS). I kind of doubt I'll ever get back to it... I just don't have the patience for something that's that hard on my brain.

3 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I guess I'm the new record holder. I've been stalling it as long as Kenshin, apparently for the same reasons as him (and likewise, in spite of picking it up again on the 3DS). I kind of doubt I'll ever get back to it... I just don't have the patience for something that's that hard on my brain.

Have you tried putting it down and picking it up after a while? My 3DS save for OoC is about as old as the game itself, and I've been able to make a ton of progress over a long period of time. I really do think the game's a lot of fun to play in short, sporadic bursts. I'm almost always able to progress every time I pick the game back up. The only exception was the Garuda Fortress, which was extremely frustrating with the guards and took me a couple years to finish it. Surprisingly enough, it only took me a week to beat the game after that, lol.