Looking for some chuuni

Tweek91330

Hi guys.

I want something similar to 3rd eyes games (and if i can have an heroine like vivi or re,non that would be even better, but i'm getting too greedy ^^).

Or something similar to Izuna would also fit the bill (kinda liked the detective work and the yakuza thing ^^).

I also wanted to ask something about light's eroge, i tried soushuu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin, the game is kinda good so far, but narration seems to be kinda heavy, so i'd like to keep it for later. Are other light the same ways ? Or is Masada writing kinda special ?

I really haven't dabbled into untranslated chuuni ore than some Steampunk titles, but as for light's works, I think some are lighter and easier on the prose, but yeah, Masada's writing is kind of special

But yeah, if you want more specific information, you're better off asking someone like Clephas

Yeah, actually, i did read izuna because it was mentionned in one of Clephas post around here, and op was cool so..  :sacchan:

Anyways good to know masada is "master of Japanese grammar special" lol, i'll put senshinkan gakuen in stalled for now then, along with his friend muramasa (my brain was overloaded after going thought the common route ^^).

15 minutes ago, Tweek91330 said:

Hi guys.

I want something similar to 3rd eyes games (and if i can have an heroine like vivi or re,non that would be even better, but i'm getting too greedy ^^).

Or something similar to Izuna would also fit the bill (kinda liked the detective work and the yakuza thing ^^).

I also wanted to ask something about light's eroge, i tried soushuu Senshinkan Gakuen Hachimyoujin, the game is kinda good so far, but narration seems to be kinda heavy, so i'd like to keep it for later. Are other light the same ways ? Or is Masada writing kinda special ?

Vermilion is closer to what you want it's easier, in any case), but Masada's writing style is especially twisted and difficult.

Vermilion Bind of Blood is done by Light's second team, which at times imitates Masada... but Vermilion is easier to read than Masada's stuff.

Hello, Lady is one of my recommendations, if you like 3rd Eye's games... (it also has an FD that adds two complete routes)

Evolimit is one of my favorite VNs and is definitely an easier read than Masada's works...

Bullet Butlers is still easier than Masada, but if you don't like fantasy magic combined with action noir, it might be a bit hard to take in.

Draculius is probably the easiest to read chuunige I've ever played... I generally recommend it to beginners who like chuuni.

Nitroplus's stuff is generally about as hard as Masada's stuff, though for infodumping rather than grammatical excess.

Tiny Dungeon is pretty good, if you like harem+swords and sorcery fantasy... it is borderline chuunige, though it is almost as much comedy as that.

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made, if you haven't already read it.

Unfortunately, Izuna is unique in my experience, though I wish it wasn't.  Kikan Bakumatsu has some cool sword-fighting, but there is no detective work, really, lol.

I'll go for vermilion then ^^. And then some you listed here (evolimit, tiny dungeon).

I've already played Hello, Lady (not the fandisk), awesome game, nearly kamige for me, but last twist was meh.

I'd love an Izuna 2 but i think we'll never get one. :kosame: As for Kikan bakumatsu, i tend to avoid trap MC, but i still might play it (this one looks interesting) along with Chusingura when i'm in the mood for historical stuff.

Anyways, Thanks :makina:

Lol, this kickstarter has been cancelled already xD.

Anyways, i prefer play the game in jap even if it take me longer to read, there are things that just don't translate well in english imo.

btw i started vermilion, so far it's good and easier too read indeed. As for trample on schatten could be fun ^^.

1 hour ago, VirginSmasher said:

That's where tl notes come into play.

Aaah... tl notes, that brings back memories.  On my versions of Kara no Kyoukai, I've tacked on tl notes for about one fifth of the lines, due to the complexity of expression making it impossible to accurately translate it without the subs reading unbelievably awkward... but the original gg-Takajun subs were so inaccurate/incomplete that I just had to intervene...  considering that it was my favorite anime for about four years.

TL notes are only of benefit if the translator or translation-checker actually has the knowledge to know where his shortening or simplifying of a line or concept will be detrimental to understanding the line in question... not that many translators/TLCs are that good in the first place and those that are tend to be as lazy as I am when it comes to those kind of notes (outside of their enthusiasms). 

1 minute ago, Clephas said:

Aaah... tl notes, that brings back memories.  On my versions of Kara no Kyoukai, I've tacked on tl notes for about one fifth of the lines, due to the complexity of expression making it impossible to accurately translate it without the subs reading unbelievably awkward... but the original gg-Takajun subs were so inaccurate/incomplete that I just had to intervene...  considering that it was my favorite anime for about four years.

TL notes are only of benefit if the translator or translation-checker actually has the knowledge to know where his shortening or simplifying of a line or concept will be detrimental to understanding the line in question... not that many translators/TLCs are that good in the first place and those that are tend to be as lazy as I am when it comes to those kind of notes (outside of their enthusiasms). 

I would say this guy is good enough to make tl notes work.

@Conjuerortends to lean toward the localisation side of things[1], same as Koestl. He and Gare would more likely look for a way to make it work in English, than translate literally and seek to explain via TL notes (imo anyway.) TL notes are only really used in literature.

[1] Some dude was already stating on Reddit that Tokyo Babel is "too localised" for their taste. By which they probably mean "doesn't sound nearly awkward enough for me."

11 minutes ago, Rooke said:

@Conjuerortends to lean toward the localisation side of things[1], same as Koestl. He and Gare would more likely look for a way to make it work in English, than translate literally and seek to explain via TL notes (imo anyway.) TL notes are only really used in literature.

[1] Some dude was already stating on Reddit that Tokyo Babel is "too localised" for their taste. By which they probably mean "doesn't sound nearly awkward enough for me."

I used to be like that, but I've mellowed... in the end, there isn't any meaning in translating something if no one can understand it or will want to read it. 

25 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Yeah, but with Asairo which was what I was asking about, it would be incredibly difficult to translate it without using tl notes to explain some things.

I didn't know much about chuuni, and I'd only got the gist of it from @Clephas. So my list will probably combined of Clephas list and my opinion. Also beware that maybe the recommendation will not fitting you in future.

Soukoku no Arterial - I didn't know how you'll approach this game, but the card battle system was better than Princess Waltz. Since you also could read Japan, you could just read it directly. The story was about trapped in another world and the player must battle using card in order to survive.

Libra the Vampire Princess - Since clephas recommended Draculius, I'll recommended soon to be translated Libra (By the way, the producer was same ad Draculius producer). The story was our MC turned to the vampire and he will dragged into vampire world mess or something like that according to kickstarter.

Tokyo Babel and Ayakashibto - Clephas favorite, and Ayakashibito already translated while Tokyo Babel will be out and translated in April. Ayakashibito tell the story about human with super power, while Tokyo Babel tell the story about apocalyptic world.

To OP, I think that's all the VN I could think about, and I also use your list at VNDB to determined which work you didn't read yet. Although those VN above may didn't meet your expectation, my suggestion would be play it. Well have fun.

PS - I didn't know if my VN would fulfill your criteria for chuuni you want though, but hopefully it does.

Draculius was made by the writer of the grisaia when i checked on vndb so libra might be quite different ^^.

Actually, i'd be interested to know what clephas think of libra, i'd like to know if it's worth playing :makina:

Tokyo babel seems interesting too (i really liked ayakashibito at the time).

I had come across fortissimo too, but when i saw that clephas dropped the sequel and that the original wasn't a complete story, i just made a post here instead lol (fortissimo seemed too generic anyways, dunno if i'm right tough).

Spoiler on vermilion

Spoiler

I'm quite pleased with the direction the game seems to take so far ^^.

The story is going in multiple direction :

It's cool to have some good reference on dracula, the war with the turk and vlad, also the girls in the coffin remind me of the three sister/brides of dracula (well i just tough maybe xD).

They put a lot of foreshadowing on the fact that toshiro could be the real tryfinger, i mean, i would make so much sense and the imitator (just know this before closing the game last night ^^) is a crazy bastard really . Caitrin is kinda the reckless villain, i hope she'll suffer an horrible death :vinty:

There is also the ruthless jaeger aria, i'm kinda curious to see how her route will unfold :p.

I think i'll go with nina route first, i kinda like her :sacchan:

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback guys, i'm going to continue vermilion now, it's a pleasure to read a vampire story that is not some shitty teenager drama (you know where i'm hetting at right ? :makina:)

You're welcome.

As for Clephas opinion about Libra, here's his review at his blog below.

And his score for Libra was at 8.3 in VNDB, so I think according to him Libra was quite good. Although once again taste for each people might be different though, so you may not enjoying Libra for example. Either way, as for me I'll try to play this translated (Only 8 months later). And last thing, glad if you like my feedback.

if you dont mind an ending(s) that´s lacking any kind of happiness in a classical manner, then i´d say go for shinigami no testament, as it consists of pretty cool characters, some nice action, minor/major twists & stuff.
just dont expect everlasting romance to blossom - fate in there has sth against fluff