are there vn elitists and hipsters in japan?

27 minutes ago, Kawasumi said:

oh you mean @Deep Blue:sachi: 

s;g, sharin no kuni, clannad among highest rated vns. nah... those are pretty popular.

14 minutes ago, XReaper said:

b-but those are whom i personally consider beeing true fans - not giving in to escapism, leading a life thats fully devoted to their main heroines only & aggressively fighting/rallying against "la generica magna"

my question is if those exist at all. ive never seen a vn hipster. there are those who bash some popular stuff (hoshimemo, key) but praise other(g-senjou, muvluv, grisaia). there are the moegefags who hate everything else and the moegehaters who like their dark stuff. but pretty much everyone ive seen likes some kind of mainstream.

6 minutes ago, ロル ビち said:

my question is if those exist at all. ive never seen a vn hipster. there are those who bash some popular stuff (hoshimemo, key) but praise other(g-senjou, muvluv, grisaia). there are the moegefags who hate everything else and the moegehaters who like their dark stuff. but pretty much everyone ive seen likes some kind of mainstream.

this is exactly why we cant have nice things anymore. (with little to no exceptions)

50 minutes ago, ロル ビち said:

s;g, sharin no kuni, clannad among highest rated vns. nah... those are pretty popular.

Because a lot of more mainstream VNs are actually pretty good.

This just goes to show how non-trivial it is to define mainstream and underground currents. Nobody even seems to agree on what's mainstream and what's not and at what scale in our own communities, how the hell are we supposed to actually know what goes on on the jp side of things? Especially since they don't seem to be using exactly the same kind of media as we do in the same proportions; have fun digging up 2ch and twitter discussions to know what people think.

I didn't know there was such a thing as hipsters for vns *tips his fedora*

I enjoy something good, it doesnt matter if it's old or new, but mostly I like old things because I find in those types of novels things that I really enjoy, for example the death of the main heroine, a murder within a few minutes, etc etc, things that by today standards are not acceptable to do (at least no in general), you have your moege/charage with pretty characters, talking about food, and doing pretty much anything meh, it seems that having pretty art is more important than having a good story, maybe it was the same back then and I'm only playing the obscure and good stuff 

4 minutes ago, ロル ビち said:

i wonder if there is a vn correspondent for rose of Versailles. i think if there were more otomege and yaoige available (like in english or at least in pc), there would be real hipsters here.

Afaik there are BL (and perhaps otome) games that are fairly well aware of the cultural legacy of stuff like the Year 24 mangakas (e.g. Shingakkou) and that deals with similar themes etc. Ofc there aren't that many BL games to begin with, much less available in english... But it's there.

I don't see the link with hipsterism though.

On 3/4/2016 at 8:43 PM, Down said:

Afaik there are BL (and perhaps otome) games that are fairly well aware of the cultural legacy of stuff like the Year 24 mangakas (e.g. Shingakkou) and that deals with similar themes etc. Ofc there aren't that many BL games to begin with, much less available in english... But it's there.

I don't see the link with hipsterism though.

its cuz most of the vn fans are male. the same applies to animu. so in anime community ppl that actually go for shoujo/josei demographic are quite uncommon. then you put it in vn, where the percentage of hetero males is even higher, most of the must-read and recommend stuff around everywhere is never otome, and u get to actually take the role of a fem protagonist and get dominated by males. like, if ur playing an otomege in a community like that, ur pretty much avoiding lots of recs and popular stuff and going for something that is opposite to ur sexual tastes. the chances r high ur a hipster.

I don't even know what hipster means anymore. Is it really hipster to play BL/otome games when you're not the intended target? I know we got some cases of severe "but what if I catch THE GAYZ" stupidity in VN communities, but it doesn't seem that "hipster" to me.

I don't think there are particularly more men than women watching anime btw. There's no particular stats on this that I know of but it doesn't seem heavily disproportionate. 

1 minute ago, Down said:

I don't even know what hipster means anymore. Is it really hipster to play BL/otome games when you're not the intended target? I know we got some cases of severe "but what if I catch THE GAYZ" stupidity in VN communities, but it doesn't seem that "hipster" to me.

I don't think there are particularly more men than women watching anime btw. There's no particular stats on this that I know of but it doesn't seem heavily disproportionate. 

Verily, our lord and savior has spoken on this very day in a thread, and therefore it has been written. Let it be told.

On 3/5/2016 at 9:11 PM, Down said:

i think it is, cuz ur going against the majority even when doing the contrary would be much easier. take a look at all the vn recs here and vns with reputation. i think around 0,1% or less is otomege. second, u wont be enjoying the self-insert pandering or sex (if present). the only reason an hetero male here would go for otomege and disregard or look down on popular galge is to be diffrent.

1 hour ago, Deep Blue said:

I enjoy something good, it doesnt matter if it's old or new, but mostly I like old things because I find in those types of novels things that I really enjoy, for example the death of the main heroine, a murder within a few minutes, etc etc, things that by today standards are not acceptable to do (at least no in general), you have your moege/charage with pretty characters, talking about food, and doing pretty much anything meh, it seems that having pretty art is more important than having a good story, maybe it was the same back then and I'm only playing the obscure and good stuff 

Probably true. Same it's movies and music - only good and memorable ones are getting their own life years after. 60s, 80s etc had a tons of shitty music, and we, as humanity just forgot about them. So probably the same with VNs.

But we should ask an expert. @Tyrosyn You read a lot of old stuff, right? ;)

27 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Probably true. Same it's movies and music - only good and memorable ones are getting their own life years after. 60s, 80s etc had a tons of shitty music, and we, as humanity just forgot about them. So probably the same with VNs.

Exactly. People like to think of the 70s or 80s as the best decades in music, but they completely forget about how awful some of the music from back then is. :miyako:

36 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

To be honest I'm not a guru or anything on the matter, I'm really new into the vn world, probably 1 and a half year and only half year or so reading untranslated vns, there are a lot of users in this forum with much more experience than me, for example Tyr(he knows a lot about old vns) , XReap and I'm sure clep too or even cerulean (but she has weird tastes and doesnt seem to enjoy really old vns maybe im wrong :P ) I'm sure there are more but I don't talk with many users either xD

21 minutes ago, Deep Blue said:

there are some really good OELVNs out there I recently played one, generalizing is always a bad thing to do.

Indeed it is, putting everyone or everything in one bag is always a mistake for you may find a gem among those and miss it because you dissmissed it all

Just now, DarkZedge said:

Indeed it is, putting everyone or everything in one bag is always a mistake for you may find a gem among those and miss it because you dissmissed it all

If there are any really well received OELVNs, I will play them. Other than that, I tend to stay clear of a genre as a whole.

Just now, VirginSmasher said:

If there are any really well received OELVNs, I will play them. Other than that, I tend to stay clear of a genre as a whole.

I usually do some research before going into a OELVN or at least ask a bit aournd for opinions...these are precautions but doesn't mean you'll dismiss them all as garbage without giving those that aren't a chance..