Winter 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

3 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Well this was a much better episode of Phantom World that focused on character growth.

However this is starting to feel like there won't be any overarching plot, which I guess could work depending on how they approach it.

I am sadded by the fact Reina isn't actually yuri for Mai.

If this is true, I might have actually nailed the exact premise in my first post about Pantom World in where I stated this show would be a harem about him completing the girls problems in turn. I haven't actually seen this week's episode yet, so I'll probably say something when I have. 

Gate– I’ve caught up on all episode in past 24 hours. Really like it, now have to wait for next episode boo. 
Konosuba 3 – It’s alright so far. 
Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut 3 – Its dumb enough to keep on watching. 
Schwarzesmarken – more ded 
Dimension W – Nothing happened. 
Haruchika – Mystery of the week. I am fine with it so far. 

Finally got around to starting Boku dake ga inai machi, only 2 episodes in but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Watched an episode of Phantom World back when it just started, didn't really pique my interest too much. Has it gotten better since?

Also anything else that's really good airing atm?

3 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

Watched an episode of Phantom World back when it just started, didn't really pique my interest too much. Has it gotten better since?

Still lots of boobs and fanservice in ep 2
Episode 3 had less boobs and more actual plot
Episode 4 was more character focused and didn't really have fanservice

Hard to say where it'll go but I'm betting on an episodic slice of life style anime with fanservice here and there.
The first couple episodes were bad but the most recent ones are okay,  so maybe there's something to be found here, but I don't see the show having any interesting overarching plot.

19 minutes ago, Flutterz said:

Finally got around to starting Boku dake ga inai machi, only 2 episodes in but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Divine Gate is cool.

6 hours ago, Flutterz said:

6 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

Still lots of boobs and fanservice in ep 2
Episode 3 had less boobs and more actual plot
Episode 4 was more character focused and didn't really have fanservice

Hard to say where it'll go but I'm betting on an episodic slice of life style anime with fanservice here and there.
The first couple episodes were bad but the most recent ones are okay,  so maybe there's something to be found here, but I don't see the show having any interesting overarching plot.

I honestly don't know why you guys expect anything more than what the OP is actually showcasing.  Tit for tat, the amount of "stuff" in the OP is reflected in the actual series episodes so far.  Like, same ratio of fan service, action, and slice of life is displayed. I get the feeling you just skip them, when often times they are fairly indicative of the type of show you get.

Spoiler

As for other shows, Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions is pretty decent if fantasy is something you enjoy.  I mean, the pacing is all over the fucking place if you've read the novels, and they've cut a bit of etails in favor of some filler, but overall, as a stand alone show, it's one of the above average series this season.

Schwarzesmarken had a promising first episode, and then I shelved it until I read Muvluv, something I obviously have yet to do. 

Spoiler

I shouldn't have to tell you to stay away from KonoSuba/Gifting, as DEEN quality keeps rearing it's ugly head.  I stopped after two episodes.  I would skip Bahamut if you were even going to attempt to watch it.  I'm watching it purely to fulfill my mindless shonen addiction, and even then it's pretty turrible.

As usual, I save manga series until the end of the season when they are finished, so I can then binge read afterward, so don't ask my opinions on ERASED, Divine Gate, Dimension W, or Ajin, all of which have seemingly reasonable potential.

11 hours ago, Jibril said:

I don't know why but Heavy Object got suddenly better after the first half. Latest episode is pretty intense and plot twisting.

Oh and did Rory just bitchslap that dragon in GATE with her axe? 

Yes, yes she did.

I wouldn't say Heavy Object got better, after all, the split between seasons was in the middle of a volume, if I would have to attribute as to why it seemingly got "better", it would be that we are out of the introductory phase of Kazuma's writing style and into the first mini-conflict arc.  This usually accompanies and end to primary character development and the beginnings of an actual story. If we were to take the analogy to Index, another story written by him, this point ironically ends up at volume 5, where there are three short stories. I don't think its entirely coincidence that it takes him about 6 "arcs" to warm up to a plot to write about.  You can probably expect from here on out to see the story move in a more serious(?) direction, while still retaining the child-like nature of the actual sequences.  

4 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Holy macaroni, Utawarerumono just went and, in a single episode, explained everything that needed explanation and made the connection to the first anime/game. This week's episode blew my mind.

Yeah, but it was to be expected that this series would be more about that world and the relations between the people in it, as it is the middle section of the overarching story.

On another note, Ash just got real this week.

Not that it was unexpected, but i did not expect it so soon. And i really like the slow pacing, it has been a long time since we had something nice and slow.

2 hours ago, havoc said:

Yeah, but it was to be expected that this series would be more about that world and the relations between the people in it, as it is the middle section of the overarching story.

On another note, Ash just got real this week.

Not that it was unexpected, but i did not expect it so soon. And i really like the slow pacing, it has been a long time since we had something nice and slow.

Yeah, but I mean. It was episode 17 and we still didn't know if there would be any actual plot development. 

Gate 16 - A fine episode. 

Dagashi Kashi ep. 4 I thought it was excellent. The dad walking in made it for me. 

Boku dake ga Inai Machi ep. 4 Damn. 

Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut ep. 4 - Continues to be. 
Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm ep. 4 - Buy plushy that is now available in store. 

Well.... looks like Grimgar decided to not put the twist in episode 3 but on episode 4. To be honest, it is rather slow and to be expected but as usual the art is fantastic. Too bad there's quite a few stills. The insert songs however, is a tad bit overbearing for the scenes but other than that it's not too bad. I'll probably get the song later on since it's quite good.
I like how the show is going, but IMHO its rather too slow. Hopefully it'll get better from this onwards.

On 1/30/2016 at 10:28 PM, Abyssal Monkey said:

Yes, yes she did.

I wouldn't say Heavy Object got better, after all, the split between seasons was in the middle of a volume, if I would have to attribute as to why it seemingly got "better", it would be that we are out of the introductory phase of Kazuma's writing style and into the first mini-conflict arc.  This usually accompanies and end to primary character development and the beginnings of an actual story. If we were to take the analogy to Index, another story written by him, this point ironically ends up at volume 5, where there are three short stories. I don't think its entirely coincidence that it takes him about 6 "arcs" to warm up to a plot to write about.  You can probably expect from here on out to see the story move in a more serious(?) direction, while still retaining the child-like nature of the actual sequences.  

Hm you do have some points there, but I think I rather like it since the latest episode use the emphasis on how the action isn't too serious and potrays the fight between the objects without being overly complex. That being said, I still dislike the "brilliant" moves done by Qwenthur since its a little bit on the far-fetched area....

And oh God you reminded me that we haven't got a season 3 of Index. Hopefully JC Staff is just flexing their muscles with Heavy Object so they can get serious for the Raildex universe....

RIP Shinsengumi.

Well this Gintama episode proves they didn't just forget what happened. God, it's still hard to accept reality.

So we're already entering a new arc and not taking a break with filler and comedy? Muh heart can't take this.

Also, I can't be the only one who saw this:

Q9VaTGR.jpg

And immediately thought of this:

qEwn5zx.gif

1 hour ago, Nosebleed said:

RIP Shinsengumi.

Well this Gintama episode proves they didn't just forget what happened. God, it's still hard to accept reality.

So we're already entering a new arc and not taking a break with filler and comedy? Muh heart can't take this.

Q9VaTGR.jpg

qEwn5zx.gif

Holy fuckaroni. Not only they immediately know about the shogun's assassination, the new one executes Kondo. Like, seriously, another dear character killed? And much like you said, no break for the damned. Here we go onto a new arc, this time about the shinsengumi.

On 2/2/2016 at 8:40 AM, Jibril said:

Well.... looks like Grimgar decided to not put the twist in episode 3 but on episode 4. To be honest, it is rather slow and to be expected but as usual the art is fantastic. Too bad there's quite a few stills. The insert songs however, is a tad bit overbearing for the scenes but other than that it's not too bad. I'll probably get the song later on since it's quite good.
I like how the show is going, but IMHO its rather too slow. Hopefully it'll get better from this onwards.

Hm you do have some points there, but I think I rather like it since the latest episode use the emphasis on how the action isn't too serious and potrays the fight between the objects without being overly complex. That being said, I still dislike the "brilliant" moves done by Qwenthur since its a little bit on the far-fetched area....

And oh God you reminded me that we haven't got a season 3 of Index. Hopefully JC Staff is just flexing their muscles with Heavy Object so they can get serious for the Raildex universe....

I haven't seen Grimgar 4 yet, tests today, homework due tomorrow. Brutal things.  But it seems like you are saying the same thing I said 2 weeks ago. Grimgar is being slow despite cutting things, these inserts are entirely unnecessary. 

As for Heavy Object, nothing has really changed. It's just this is our first time seeing an actual Object fight in focus. The rest of them were in the background due to Qwenthur 'solving' things elsewhere without it.  Qwenthur's brilliant ideas are standard tactical warfare, and the world just forgot about them because holy shit objects. They're the farthest thing from far-fetched, and are quite realistic in fact. They just seem absurd because you have this multi-thousand ton vehicle for comparison. If I were to complain about anything, it's that Qwenthur is too smart. I can believe all the things so far about design, that's his profession; the secret code, his ability to direct the flow of a fight between two combatants with just information warfare, and some of the other more tactical stunts he is pulling like during the canyon with the 3 way split?  Those are kind of absurd from a skills standpoint. We have military roles for a reason, and he seems to check the boxes for the requirements of all of them. 

2 hours ago, Nosebleed said:

RIP Shinsengumi.

Q9VaTGR.jpg

qEwn5zx.gif

As someone who has been keeping up with the manga, i can say that this arc truly is something special. Even better than the Shogun Assassination arc. Get ready for a nice little ride :sachi: