Winter 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

It's still not decided he will die, he's just scheduled for an execution I think? Or was the dream Hijikata had just a flashback?

I know I shouldn't be hopeful after what they pulled with the Shogun but killing off Chief Gorilla would really put a dent in Gintama's cast.

The Shogun might be relevant for the setting/plot, but Kondo is a very prevalent character that's been a running gag from basically episode 1, there's a chance the author won't simply kill him off.

The temptation of checking the manga is so big...

3 hours ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

I haven't seen Grimgar 4 yet, tests today, homework due tomorrow. Brutal things.  But it seems like you are saying the same thing I said 2 weeks ago. Grimgar is being slow despite cutting things, these inserts are entirely unnecessary. 

After taking a 20 minute break and definitely not procrastinating, I watched Grimgar 4.  This show.. I am really on fence about whether to like it or not.  The novel was great, and the setting of the show itself is great.  All the character's are great. But the problem is the pacing.  

On 1/26/2016 at 11:46 PM, Abyssal Monkey said:

So I've figured out Lerche's strategy for adapting Bahamut.  They are animating all the high points of every scene and eschewing everything else. It explains all the inconsistencies I've noticed so far. Today's episode felt like a bunch of strung together scenes, and this is exactly why. There was no context behind them and joining them together because they deliberately omitted it. Everything from how the date felt like they were teleporting around to that end scene of Lisha making a fool of herself.  It all stems from the fact that there is absolutely zero, none, null, downtime in this series so far.  Everything has been critical plot points, so it feels as if we are getting moved from one peak of a mountain to another without actually descending; it disorients you, and it loses all impact.  It has the same exact issue as horror games right now in the idea of that the only thing that matters is the payoff and ignoring the buildup. 

I had said this about Saijaku Bahamut: they are moving way too fast, and this has the implications of no buildup.  Grimgar has the exact same problem: having no buildup, but under different circumstances, and it isn't immediately obvious.  The first give away was when in the first episode they cut A LOT of introductory things. I pointed this out, and I'm going to say right now, that this was the first death nail in this show's coffin.  What they replaced with that cut content you don't get to see until the second episode's second half: the 5 minute insert.  Not only was this insert completely out of place, but it served absolutely no point in moving the plot forward.  If they wanted to convey the character's feelings about the show, they should have used the ED to do it, but instead they opted for the 5 minute insert, which then transitioned into the ED after a 3 minute break.  That's 1/3 of the second episode in song.  Is this a musical opera or something?  The second and third clues came around the same time and again at the end of the third episode.  During the second episode we see a cut from town life right into them hunting, this also again happens in the third and fourth episodes.  They are cutting away more and more time out of the book.  Can you guessed what they replaced it with? That's right, more inserts, more musical accompaniment for this Broadway stage show.  With an insert downtime in every episode, they are completely decimating any pacing they have set as well as purging any tension that might have built up in the show.  

That is where the problem lies.  Enter episode 4.

At the end of episode 4 where by all rights you should have cried a little on the inside, I felt like laughing at the silliness instead.  In both the previous episodes, they had played the sirenal intermission twice.  When the third act finally comes around and they deal it again, it comes with the mixed message of FEELS and "this is insignificant downtime", and it completely soils what should have been by all rights a pivotal signpost in the phantasmagoria they are enacting.  But it doesn't and you end up rolling your eyes at the once again stale host they proffer.

Grimgar of Ashes and Illusions this show certainly is, in more ways than two.

Do I sound sarcastic enough yet? This is what the show has done to me.  Any good will this show had from me after having read the books has done burned and gone with the winds along with the cremated fictional remains of all the characters in the book.

26 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

It's still not decided he will die, he's just scheduled for an execution I think? Or was the dream Hijikata had just a flashback?

I know I shouldn't be hopeful after what they pulled with the Shogun but killing off Chief Gorilla would really put a dent in Gintama's cast.

The Shogun might be relevant for the setting/plot, but Kondo is a very prevalent character that's been a running gag from basically episode 1, there's a chance the author won't simply kill him off.

The temptation of checking the manga is so big...

With how serious the author seems about killing off people in this arc, I pretty much guessed that Hijikata's "dream" was him remembering the moment they find out Kondo has been executed. Next episode seems to have the guys at Odd Jobs reuniting the Shinsengumi to do something, so maybe there's hope and they are gonna try to save Kondo?

We can only hope...

I really hate Sorachi now. He's making me feels harder than FMA Brotherhood, God that "it's raining huh" scene.... truly an episode where the demon cries.

308 episodes and he killed his self insert. Hah! I guess the show is really ending...

3 hours ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

After taking a 20 minute break and definitely not procrastinating, I watched Grimgar 4.  This show.. I am really on fence about whether to like it or not.  The novel was great, and the setting of the show itself is great.  All the character's are great. But the problem is the pacing.  

I had said this about Saijaku Bahamut: they are moving way too fast, and this has the implications of no buildup.  Grimgar has the exact same problem: having no buildup, but under different circumstances, and it isn't immediately obvious.  The first give away was when in the first episode they cut A LOT of introductory things. I pointed this out, and I'm going to say right now, that this was the first death nail in this show's coffin.  What they replaced with that cut content you don't get to see until the second episode's second half: the 5 minute insert.  Not only was this insert completely out of place, but it served absolutely no point in moving the plot forward.  If they wanted to convey the character's feelings about the show, they should have used the ED to do it, but instead they opted for the 5 minute insert, which then transitioned into the ED after a 3 minute break.  That's 1/3 of the second episode in song.  Is this a musical opera or something?  The second and third clues came around the same time and again at the end of the third episode.  During the second episode we see a cut from town life right into them hunting, this also again happens in the third and fourth episodes.  They are cutting away more and more time out of the book.  Can you guessed what they replaced it with? That's right, more inserts, more musical accompaniment for this Broadway stage show.  With an insert downtime in every episode, they are completely decimating any pacing they have set as well as purging any tension that might have built up in the show.  

That is where the problem lies.  Enter episode 4.

At the end of episode 4 where by all rights you should have cried a little on the inside, I felt like laughing at the silliness instead.  In both the previous episodes, they had played the sirenal intermission twice.  When the third act finally comes around and they deal it again, it comes with the mixed message of FEELS and "this is insignificant downtime", and it completely soils what should have been by all rights a pivotal signpost in the phantasmagoria they are enacting.  But it doesn't and you end up rolling your eyes at the once again stale host they proffer.

Grimgar of Ashes and Illusions this show certainly is, in more ways than two.

Do I sound sarcastic enough yet? This is what the show has done to me.  Any good will this show had from me after having read the books has done burned and gone with the winds along with the cremated fictional remains of all the characters in the book.

Sounds like a terrible case of adaptation. Frankly when I saw his death, I didn't feel anything either but I would like to think that the point wasn't actually making people feel sad over it, but to realize that death is something that easily can happen to anyone in that world. All it had to take is a simple silly mistake and you just lose another comrade. Again, so far the pacing only gets better in episode 4, it might not be the case for in terms of adaptation but I will still have hope for the rest of the show.

4 hours ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

It's quite okay, you don't have to force yourself to like it just because you like the original source material. I gave up on it because the anime is, well, dead shit boring.

5 hours ago, Jibril said:

Sounds like a terrible case of adaptation. Frankly when I saw his death, I didn't feel anything either but I would like to think that the point wasn't actually making people feel sad over it, but to realize that death is something that easily can happen to anyone in that world. All it had to take is a simple silly mistake and you just lose another comrade. Again, so far the pacing only gets better in episode 4, it might not be the case for in terms of adaptation but I will still have hope for the rest of the show.

That's the thing, going for the rest of book one and into book two, it quickly becomes obvious that this death is meant to be a lot more jarring than they display it, and it has a far more deep impact on the group as you will see in the next episode.  They entirely failed to convey that by using inserts 3 times in a row.

10 hours ago, ittaku said:

Inai machi is so good but it's getting harder to watch every episode it's so intense...

Yeah, and then you have to wait a whole week for the next episode. >.>

Boku dake spoilers

I thought he'd be coming back to the present because of his mom's note that he picked up (which he still hasn't noticed despite having pulled it out of his pocket with his phone ARRRGH) but I didn't think it'd happen this quickly. Looks like next episode he'll be going back again to try and save Airi, but I'm guessing he's going to have to fail one more time before he succeeds. Since he seems to go back when someone dies I'm assuming the manager will be next.

Phantom World is doing fine and Abyssal's guess seems to have hit the mark.

Dagashi Kashi is fun.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi is doing great. From the looks of it, the next part will be about Yukki, tbh I was more interested in him as a character than Kayo.

And also I was thinking about watching Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, can anyone around here tell me how it's going ?    

42 minutes ago, havoc said:

So utawarerumono finally kicked off in earnest, i do wonder how they plan to bring the series to a decent ending in a mere 7 episodes.

What I do wonder is whether this is the extent of the game, or are we seeing just a partial adaptation. Maybe it's because the first half felt very "daily life" stuff, which the game might actually use as hours and hours of events and character development. But, if it's supposed to be anything like the first game, it feels like now would sort of the actual start, when the main characters would start fighting and stuff. I mean, vndb lists it as an SRPG.

And with the tune playing at the end of Grimgar this week, I'm just done with the show.  They've made far too many glaring mistakes with how they've decided to adapt the book in terms of crucial character building.  It's almost as if they said "ehhh, fill in the middle bits with what you please" and don't give any context about it instead.  Sure we are at 5 episodes, and sure we are nearing the end of the first book.  6 episode volumes? Stand up job, especially for this series.  But the repeated cuts and failures at characterization make me feel after watching this series that even the characters in the book were flat, even though I know they weren't.  

All these cuts have literally bled all the characters in this show to husks.  And thus I will only listen to the hymn of the soundtrack as I lay this series to rest.

Seriously though, the soundtrack is excellent, and is the only thing I actually look forward to seeing come out of this series.

This is far enough into the season to declare the survivors this season that I will continue to watch to the end. As predicted it's overall pretty meh but there are still shows worth watching. Bear in mind I watch almost everything so for me to drop it means it was pretty bad. I even watch the shorts. Best shows highlighted.

• Ao no kanata - decent
  • Prince of stride - okay (watching mainly for Kanazawa VA)
  • Musaigen no phantom world - good fun (Hayami VA puts it up another notch)
  • Kono suba - great fun
  • Haruchika - okay
  • Active raid - bare pass
  • Shoujo tachi - okay
  • Boku dake - excellent
  • Dagashi kashi - okay (a let down cos it should have been awesome but is only okay)
  • Pandora - silly but still okay
  • Bubuki bunraki - bare pass but the computer aided animation is annoying
  • Luck and logic - okay
  • Dimension W - great
  • Schwarzesmarken - okay
  • Mahou shoujo - silly but decent
  • Ojisan - okay
  • Oshiete galko-chan - great
  • Nijiiroi days - okay
  • Ooya-san - okay
  • Gate S2 - excellent
  • Ansatsu kyoushitsu S2 - good

Leftovers:

• Akagami no shirayuki hime - still good (Hayami VA raises its rating)
  • Heavy object - still good

Shows I tried to watch and gave up on

• Saijaku - wtf
  • Norn 9 - oops
  • Phantasy star 2 - ugh
  • Divine gate - wtf
  • Showa genroku - zero connection
  • Nurse witch - oops
  • Hai to gensou - snorefest
  • Sekkou boys - meh
  • Yamishibai - meh
  • tabimachi - meh

Absolutely loving Boku dake ga Inai Machi! I accidentally revealed myself a major plot spoiler by simply reading the wiki page on the character section... <_<

So please be warned! I only expected to see a simple general character outline, not filled with future event details that are riddled with spoilers.

The reason I read the wiki page was because I wanted to see if it was an original story or based on a manga, because if it was based from a manga, I wanted to hope it was finished so I could expect closure for the amazing story. My heart sunk when I saw that the manga was still on-going... But a few days later I browsed the wiki again in the hopes it was finished and noticed this quote:

The manga will end on March 4, 2016.

Which should coincide while the anime is airing, so I'm really hoping for an actual ending to this great story! ^_^

I'm completely hooked and immersed into this anime currently, I'm enjoying it so much.

A good manga adaptation will usually adapt 2 or 3 chapters per episode.In boku dake ga inai machi the chapters are 30+ pages long so 2 chapters is probably the best you could achieve if you want to preserve the storyline.

At 12 episodes, I do not have a lot of faith the anime will catch up with the manga's ending, unless they skip chapters, which would be even more of a shame.

Schwarzesmarken 5 Still going alright. 

Dimension W 5 I didn't like these past 2 episode, hope it picks back up. 

Gate 5 Get fucked. (Dragons)

Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut 5 Not really enjoying it all that much, and I actually do like IS. 

Dagashi Kashi 5 Eh. 

Aokana Meh 

12 hours ago, HotTrax said:

Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut 5 Not really enjoying it all that much, and I actually do like IS. 

I don't often do this, but this time is an exception.  Don't waste your time on this adaptation. It's actually garbage.  The time is better off being postponed and reading the books instead.  For the reasons involved, feel free to skim the thread for my rant about it.

On 6-2-2016 at 10:45 PM, Jun Inoue said:

What I do wonder is whether this is the extent of the game, or are we seeing just a partial adaptation. Maybe it's because the first half felt very "daily life" stuff, which the game might actually use as hours and hours of events and character development. But, if it's supposed to be anything like the first game, it feels like now would sort of the actual start, when the main characters would start fighting and stuff. I mean, vndb lists it as an SRPG.

from comments in the forum section on myanimelist, it seems that it is just a partial adaptation where they really stretched the slice of life stuff.
But it seems like the series is finally gathering steam, still cant understand the decision of quon though it seems wierd and does not really fit the atmosphere.

Also, Dimension W is for me the most entertaining new series of the season. Not the best but definitly the most entertaining.