Winter 2016 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

2 hours ago, Forgetful Frank said:

I haven't been keeping up with the latest anime in a while, I've just been watching the usual on-going ones. You've peaked my interest in this one though!

EDIT:

Could anyone be kind enough to give me a couple of new anime they're watching this season that you're enjoying? I'd be really grateful since after reading through this thread, you've all gotten me in the mood to watch some!

So far I've managed to add to my watch-list: Hai to Gensoi no Grimgar and Divine Temple ^_^

Well, let's see. Prince of Stride is a fun enough sports anime, if you like 'em. Dimension W is a really cool and promising action/"mystery" anime. You already got Grimgar, and... Divine Temple? Do you mean Divine Gate? If yes, then yeah, those 2 are cool too.

I'm also watching Gintama, Gate and Haikyuu!!, but you need to have watched the first season of those (which I recommend, cuz they are awesome).

2 hours ago, Forgetful Frank said:

Could anyone be kind enough to give me a couple of new anime they're watching this season that you're enjoying? I'd be really grateful since after reading through this thread, you've all gotten me in the mood to watch some!

So far I've managed to add to my watch-list: Hai to Gensoi no Grimgar and Divine Temple ^_^

Of the new shows this season, I've rounded it down to the following 4 as the best watches:

Dimension W and Boku dake ga Inai Machi for more serious

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo and Musaigen no Phantom World for light hearted

I'm watching lots more for now, but they're the ones I rate at the top.

Just now, Nosebleed said:

Maybe the entire assassination plot was actually Zura's plan. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Best plot twist.

And the last (actual) scene of the episode was actually perfect for him to show up. I mean, so much story about Shoyo and the 3 disciples, but what the fruck is Katsura doing while all this shit is going down.

5 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

Best plot twist.

And the last (actual) scene of the episode was actually perfect for him to show up. I mean, so much story about Shoyo and the 3 disciples, but what the fruck is Katsura doing while all this shit is going down.

He's probably trying to understand how his life with an anthropomorphic penguin came to be.

On a serious note, I do also feel a lack of Zura this season, and it's strange not to see him when this is basically his dream scenario. I also would LOVE to see Zura, Gintoki and Takasugi fighting alongside each other. Or even just Zura fighting alongside the Shogun would be ironically epic.

There's still a chance he'll appear in the next episode, maybe firing some rockets with Elizabeth or something and blowing shit up.

He always comes at the most random time.

1 minute ago, Nosebleed said:

He's probably trying to understand how his life with an anthropomorphic penguin came to be.

On a serious note, I do also feel a lack of Zura this season, and it's strange not to see him when this is basically his dream scenario. I also would LOVE to see Zura, Gintoki and Takasugi fighting alongside each other. Or even just Zura fighting alongside the Shogun would be ironically epic.

There's still a chance he'll appear in the next episode, maybe firing some rockets with Elizabeth or something and blowing shit up.

Yeah. When those ships showed up, I was thinking "now it would be the best time for Zura to show up", probably claiming that if they are getting a new shogun, he's gonna take the chance and finish it off right at the start, with the whole anti-shogun organization going to every point, helping the other characters.

10 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Well, let's see. Prince of Stride is a fun enough sports anime, if you like 'em. Dimension W is a really cool and promising action/"mystery" anime. You already got Grimgar, and... Divine Temple? Do you mean Divine Gate? If yes, then yeah, those 2 are cool too.

I'm also watching Gintama, Gate and Haikyuu!!, but you need to have watched the first season of those (which I recommend, cuz they are awesome).

Whoops! Yeah I did mean Divine Gate, ahahaha! My bad!

10 hours ago, ittaku said:

Of the new shows this season, I've rounded it down to the following 4 as the best watches:

Dimension W and Boku dake ga Inai Machi for more serious

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo and Musaigen no Phantom World for light hearted

I'm watching lots more for now, but they're the ones I rate at the top.

Thank you very much to both you of! ^_^

I really appreciate the recommendations and I'll jump right into watching them and hopefully join in on the discussions in this topic! :D

So Heavy Object this week was fun as usual.  The CO Frolatia is quickly becoming my favorite character in that series.  She knows she has a dynamite body, and she completely flaunts it.  You know that when she does something sensual, it's completely on purpose and that she is purposely looking for amusing reactions.  I can't help but feel that she torments the duo and cock blocks them on purpose only to blackmail them about it later like she did in this episode with the 'exchange'.  It was really abundantly clear that she had planned this out long beforehand.

GATE this week is amusing to say the least.  They finally fixed that remedy with Itami not having Rory's contract that should have been established during the inn scene in Japan in the first season, and I think my favorite line has come out of this episode as well.  

Spoiler

nQnCJ2q.png

This one line is so fucking important.  It is directly throwing everything we know about Itami, said by Itami out the window.  This is the deadpan lampshade from the writer telling us that Itami is an unreliable narrator if we hadn't already seen that through his previous actions, and that the opening lines of the series about him being all about his hobbies first and work second are probably not as true as he would like us to believe.  This is the instance where the author is almost forcing you to insert yourself into Yamagida's shoes and ask this same exact question about Itami's existence and everything he believes.  It's so fucking amazing and subtle.

Sekkou Boys contiues to be AOTS

Koukaku no Pandora was a little weak this episode with nothing much happening. Needed more Clarion being cuddled. I still don't fully understand what the show's about either.

Dagashi Kashi is fun as usual, but I'm really starting to believe that a short format would have worked better than 24 minutes adapting 3-4 chapters.

Japanese Nationalism: The Animation Gate was pretty cool, but that dark elf pissed me off a little. I also don't understand why Itami is so into not telling the truth about people's deaths, even if in this episode they hinted at some trauma in his past. Characters avoiding reality on purpose are usually a pet peeve of mine.

Okay, so I've managed to watch two of the recommended anime and be up to date with them to watch on a weekly basis. They are:

• Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
  • Boku dake ga Inai Machi

I'm enjoying them both very much, so thank you for recommending them to me. ^_^

The one that has me absolutely hooked right now is Boku dake ga Inai Machi... It's just soooo~ good! :pyaa:

I love a good mystery, and the entire premise of the story is so new and interesting to me. I love how his inner-thoughts are still his 29-year-old self, which really helps bring me into the story more, and I really want love to develop between him and that girl, as weird as that may be; they're still the same age technically!

Words just cannot describe how much I'm into that anime right now, I'm just so committed to the story. And... I already have my suspicions on who the child kidnapper and murderer is...

Spoiler

I'm looking at you, 'sensei' <_<

I can't wait to start watching and catch up with the other anime you recommended me. ^_^

1 hour ago, Abyssal Monkey said:

GATE this week is amusing to say the least.  They finally fixed that remedy with Itami not having Rory's contract that should have been established during the inn scene in Japan in the first season, and I think my favorite line has come out of this episode as well.  

Reveal hidden contents

nQnCJ2q.png

This one line is so fucking important.  It is directly throwing everything we know about Itami, said by Itami out the window.  This is the deadpan lampshade from the writer telling us that Itami is an unreliable narrator if we hadn't already seen that through his previous actions, and that the opening lines of the series about him being all about his hobbies first and work second are probably not as true as he would like us to believe.  This is the instance where the author is almost forcing you to insert yourself into Yamagida's shoes and ask this same exact question about Itami's existence and everything he believes.  It's so fucking amazing and subtle.

Not sure what do you mean. It has been a while since these episodes came out in the manga, so I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly, but I'd swear that Rory establishes the contract right here and now, where and when she has done it in the anime. The only thing I remember being skipped from the manga was the scene were Itami washes Rory and she shows how bullets just come out of her body since she's immortal.

ERASED 3 - fuckkkk

Diminsion W - Caught up on all episode so far, I really like this one. Some good action so far and cute robit girl. 

like the op

Phantom World 3 - Not really feel it so far but I thought this episode was pretty alright. 

So far I'm enjoying the shows I've decided to check out:

• Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm
  • Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
  • Dagashi Kashi
  • Dimension W
  • Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
  • Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wa!
  • Musaigen no Phantom World

Initially I didn't want to watch "that much" cause I quickly lose interest if something overwhelms me (like episodes piling up due to a lack of time to watch them when they're subbed). As of yet I'm enjoying myself. Boku Dake ga Inai Machi and Hai to Gensou no Grimgar are my favorite shows of this season.

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm, Dagashi Kashi and Musaigen no Phantom World are alright and Dimension W & Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wa! are pretty good imo.

So I've figured out Lerche's strategy for adapting Bahamut.  They are animating all the high points of every scene and eschewing everything else. It explains all the inconsistencies I've noticed so far. Today's episode felt like a bunch of strung together scenes, and this is exactly why. There was no context behind them and joining them together because they deliberately omitted it. Everything from how the date felt like they were teleporting around to that end scene of Lisha making a fool of herself.  It all stems from the fact that there is absolutely zero, none, null, downtime in this series so far.  Everything has been critical plot points, so it feels as if we are getting moved from one peak of a mountain to another without actually descending; it disorients you, and it loses all impact.  It has the same exact issue as horror games right now in the idea of that the only thing that matters is the payoff and ignoring the buildup. 

36 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

GINTAMA

WHY

WHYYYYYYY

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I WAS JUST THINKING THIS ENDED ANTI CLIMATICALLY AND THEN YOU PULL THAT SHIT OFF AT THE END

MY HEART IS IN FUCKING PIECES RIGHT NOW

I'm gonna go cry in a corner.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

How can we keep going now, I refuse to accept this.

13 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

WHAT

THE

FUCK

How can we keep going now, I refuse to accept this.

Soyo's letter being narrated while it was happening made it 10 times worse.

I even sat through the entirety of the credits just thinking how that last scene was the most heartbreaking moment ever while simultaneously being the sweetest moment ever.

Seriously I was not prepared at all for these feels...

44 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

Soyo's letter being narrated while it was happening made it 10 times worse.

I even sat through the entirety of the credits just thinking how that last scene was the most heartbreaking moment ever while simultaneously being the sweetest moment ever.

Seriously I was not prepared at all for these feels...

It also breaks me how the gang will keep up their antics and random shit without knowing for a long time (or ever?) what happened and that the brothers are most certainly not coming back.

6 minutes ago, Jun Inoue said:

It also breaks me how the gang will keep up their antics and random shit without knowing for a long time (or ever?) what happened and that the brothers are most certainly not coming back.

I think they'll probably know sometime down the line, it would be really strange to just break off all contact, especially considering the Shogun is an important character in the overall plot.

Now I'm wondering though, will there seriously be an arc that topples this? Imo the Benizakura arc and of course the final movie are slightly better in terms of entertainment value, but this arc revealed so much of the story and moved the plot forward so much that it's hard to argue it might have been one of the most important and relevant arcs so far.

But according to people who read the manga the next arc gets even better.

25 minutes ago, Nosebleed said:

I think they'll probably know sometime down the line, it would be really strange to just break off all contact, especially considering the Shogun is an important character in the overall plot.

Now I'm wondering though, will there seriously be an arc that topples this? Imo the Benizakura arc and of course the final movie are slightly better in terms of entertainment value, but this arc revealed so much of the story and moved the plot forward so much that it's hard to argue it might have been one of the most important and relevant arcs so far.

But according to people who read the manga the next arc gets even better.

Well that's friggin exciting. From the preview we can see that, silly humour back or not, the plot keeps going forward, since the new shogun is there.

Well this was a much better episode of Phantom World that focused on character growth.

However this is starting to feel like there won't be any overarching plot, which I guess could work depending on how they approach it.

I am sadded by the fact Reina isn't actually yuri for Mai.