Paris under terrorist attack

Kawasumi

There was a terrorist attack on Beirut now, this is really sad and alarming :( my condolences to all those lives that were lost there too.

It was actually before the one over here. It's a pretty bad example of how media and people in general don't care much about what happens there, nobody talked about it, at least not on a scale even close to the Paris events. No "safety check" on Facebook or Obama speech or w/e for them either, despite the 40+ dead. The Paris events are even more sad when you realize it's the everyday life of some Middle East countries.

I was just reading that, I found out about it after searching on many webs of local news here, none of them said anything about beirut not a single one so I started doing some searching on international ones (I never do really) and found out. Now I'm reading about the safety check and the color in the avatar of facebook.

We're biologically programmed to pay attention to unexpected events and downplay or ignore common or expected events.  That's why we freak out when planes crash but tune out car accident fatalities, even though the latter are more common/likely.  In addition, we react more aggressively to perceived threats.  This is why we make a big deal about the Paris attack, yet the Beirut attack is hardly a blip on our radar.  Lebanon is a violent place.  These sort of events happen all the time.  Attacks in Middle East "backwaters" aren't all that relevant to those of us in our civilized Western societies.  But Paris?  That could have happened anywhere in the First World.  As long as Middle Easterners stick to killing each other, we don't care that much.  But when they attack us, we start caring a lot more.

The same principles can be applied to understand why we freak out at school shootings, yet yawn when we hear about gang warfare (which actually kills a lot more people).

Edited by sanahtlig

I think I talk in the name of many french people when I say thank you to every and each person who has shown support, concern or compassion, be it in private message, on social media, skype or anywhere really. Really, thank you.

It is important for everybody to remain moderated in their reaction this shortly after the occurence, to not mistake things that can be mistaken and not to make comparaisons that should not be made.

Yesterday was a tragedy, may this never happen again.

Edited by Guest

It was actually before the one over here. It's a pretty bad example of how media and people in general don't care much about what happens there, nobody talked about it, at least not on a scale even close to the Paris events. No "safety check" on Facebook or Obama speech or w/e for them either, despite the 40+ dead. The Paris events are even more sad when you realize it's the everyday life of some Middle East countries.

This. I live in Saudi Arabia and for over a year now, the big mosques here have to be guarded constantly by security. You have to be searched before you can even go in, just like an airport. It's pretty sad, people calling themselves an "Islamic state" then blowing up mosques and killing innocent people, Muslims more so than non Muslims...   

Those kind of attacks have been happening for months. They are only getting attention after the events. Don't make links that do not exist.

And stop making senseless comparaisons.

Please all stop trying to be experts on the matter.

Edited by Guest

What are you talking about?  Members of the US-led coalition have been bombing Daesh for almost a full year.  Did you think they were going to stop because it would look like "revenge"?  I haven't heard of any civilian casualties resulting from France's bombing campaign; you can't just assume that they occurred without any proof or confirming reports.  I've even heard that a Daesh affiliate said, and I quote, "the sites hit by airstrikes had been abandoned and that no one had been killed in the airstrikes." (source; unconfirmed, though, like most of Daesh's claims and reports).  If anyone would have benefited from civilians being killed, it would be them, since they'd get to tout that as how awful the West is to Muslims, yet even they aren't saying anything about it.  I've also read that Raqqa is Being Slaughtered Silently has reported no civilian casualties (Source from a day ago, source from today).  If all three groups, including the French government, are saying the same thing, then odds are it's true, because they have no reason to agree on anything.

There was obviously no such reports when I posted, just after the strike.

And I know fully well we've been doing this shit for over a year, that's precisely tha reason why we got hit by terrorism. I didn't wait for those attacks to be against NATO's warmongering and bombs, that have been terribly inefficient at stopping Daesh so far anyway. So yes, I kinda (foolishly) hoped France would maybe start doing more sensible things instead.

• 3 weeks later...