What is the best Visual Novel you've ever played and why?

luciodragao

Muv-Luv Alternative...was really hyped for it as soon as I discovered what VNs were, and it did not disappoint. I had seen the anime and was uber pumped for the VN, and it was well worth every second of the long read. The story is really serious and pretty dark,but not like chaos everywhere,anarchy beyond hope dark. It teaches you a lot of things,and its really hard to explain in words what the values it teaches are, so you would have to read it and understand the meanings yourself. It has a kickass plot and a ton of action, which is pretty rare among translated English VNs, since action VNs tend to have a language barrier that makes the hard to translate. Not gonna spoil anything for you, but let's just say it is one helluva ride that you will enjoy. 

Little Busters!

It's true the heroines routes don't have the same quality, of for example, Rewrite. But they were still very good, specially Komari's. Actually, LB! has the best routes out of all the VNs I've played, excluding Rewrite. But the main point, this VN is wonderful because of the character development, because the feels it brings, because of how everything connects in a way you didn't expect, and also because it features friendship (I love friendship)

If you haven't played it yet, you must do it.

My vote goes to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. It's for 3DS and Vita though (neither of which can be emulated).

It's the sequel to a game called 9 Hours, 9 Persons, Doors for the DS. Since I don't want to spoil anything, here's the gist for 999: 9 seemingly strangers are kidnapped by an assailant who names themselves "Zero" and given 9 hours to escape a sinking ship by playing a game called the Nonary Game.

PM me if you want to learn about acquiring and playing the game.

Kichikuou Rance.

The world is just massive, you can do so many things in a different order, and you were able to conquer places by means other than force. Events can also change based on how much time you take to accomplish them. The battle system also feels so great.

Well of course we also have Rance just being Rance with his hyper weapon which never disappoints.

Hatsuyuki Sakura because of XWqb40p.png

Seems really good, do you know if by any chance a english patch is going to be released? ;-; i wanna play it

Muv-Luv Alternative...was really hyped for it as soon as I discovered what VNs were, and it did not disappoint. I had seen the anime and was uber pumped for the VN, and it was well worth every second of the long read. The story is really serious and pretty dark,but not like chaos everywhere,anarchy beyond hope dark. It teaches you a lot of things,and its really hard to explain in words what the values it teaches are, so you would have to read it and understand the meanings yourself. It has a kickass plot and a ton of action, which is pretty rare among translated English VNs, since action VNs tend to have a language barrier that makes the hard to translate. Not gonna spoil anything for you, but let's just say it is one helluva ride that you will enjoy. 

I never played it, but it seems really good, and as you said, usually visual novels dont even have action, ill give it a shot ;)

Little Busters!

It's true the heroines routes don't have the same quality, of for example, Rewrite. But they were still very good, specially Komari's. Actually, LB! has the best routes out of all the VNs I've played, excluding Rewrite. But the main point, this VN is wonderful because of the character development, because the feels it brings, because of how everything connects in a way you didn't expect, and also because it features friendship (I love friendship)

If you haven't played it yet, you must do it.

This game has a +18 and an all ages edition, which one should i play in your opinion?

My vote goes to Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. It's for 3DS and Vita though (neither of which can be emulated).

It's the sequel to a game called 9 Hours, 9 Persons, Doors for the DS. Since I don't want to spoil anything, here's the gist for 999: 9 seemingly strangers are kidnapped by an assailant who names themselves "Zero" and given 9 hours to escape a sinking ship by playing a game called the Nonary Game.

PM me if you want to learn about acquiring and playing the game.

As you said there is no way of emulating a 3ds or a vita, but ill give the prequel a try

Kichikuou Rance.

The world is just massive, you can do so many things in a different order, and you were able to conquer places by means other than force. Events can also change based on how much time you take to accomplish them. The battle system also feels so great.

Well of course we also have Rance just being Rance with his hyper weapon which never disappoints.

I haven't played this so i have no idea if it's good, the game sounds good the way you explain it, but isn't it heavily focused on rape?

- In terms of love & feel good "Sekai de Ichiban Dame na Koi"
- In terms of hard to stomache & mental pain "Gatenkei"
- In terms of social behaviour straight outta hell "Devils Devel Concept"
- Eh, you´re kidding, right? "Rasen Kairou 2"
-
The King is dead, all hail the King! "Genrin no Kishougun 2"

- In terms of love & feel good "Sekai de Ichiban Dame na Koi"

- In terms of hard to stomache & mental pain "Gatenkei"

- In terms of social behaviour straight outta hell "Devils Devel Concept"

- Eh, you´re kidding, right? "Rasen Kairou 2"

- The King is dead, all hail the King! "Genrin no Kishougun 2"

xD most definitly will give a try to some of these, thnks ^^

@lucio, nice to hear, but regarding my last one, i suggest you start with ikusa megami zero & then work yourself through the rest of the series, as its a non standalone title, you would miss agood bunch of the overall plot without doing so. still liked said title the most storywise and would be overjoyed if a remake were to be announced

edit: forgot "Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no" in the ultimate love categoria, which i personally ranked as high as sekai de ichiban.
& in terms of to die in peace, or so he thought "Fukai ni Nemuru Oujo no Abaddon"

This game has a +18 and an all ages edition, which one should i play in your opinion?

The +18 version is called EX and it features three extra routes. However, there is an all-ages version featuring those three routes, called ME. Both are still being translated. If you want to play the game right now, go for the original all-ages version. If you want to wait for the translation to finish (it's not very far from it, I believe), I suggest you choose ME, not only because I dislike H-scenes, but also most people who like them don't like the company's H, so you'll probably not enjoy it.

I think i've read somewhere that there is someone unoffically translating it (take this with a grain of salt) but for the rest nothing has been announced

ill take it :) thnks

@lucio, nice to hear, but regarding my last one, i suggest you start with ikusa megami zero & then work yourself through the rest of the series, as its a non standalone title, you would miss agood bunch of the overall plot without doing so. still liked said title the most storywise and would be overjoyed if a remake were to be announced

edit: forgot "Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no" in the ultimate love categoria, which i personally ranked as high as sekai de ichiban.

& in terms of to die in peace, or so he thought "Fukai ni Nemuru Oujo no Abaddon"

I do not want to miss part of the plot, about haruka ni aogi uruwashi no, seems fun, ill like this :)

Narcissu, katawa shoujo and swan song, because they are super realist in terms on how the characters behave, you wont find something closer on how a human behaves or thinks than that I do know that a lot of people actually don't like that in vns.

My fav of all is narcissu, it's perfect in every aspect in my opinion.

The +18 version is called EX and it features three extra routes. However, there is an all-ages version featuring those three routes, called ME. Both are still being translated. If you want to play the game right now, go for the original all-ages version. If you want to wait for the translation to finish (it's not very far from it, I believe), I suggest you choose ME, not only because I dislike H-scenes, but also most people who like them don't like the company's H, so you'll probably not enjoy it.

I concur, Key is terrible at H-scenes (see: Kanon)

My favourite VN is probably KonoSora because both Amane and Kotori's routes left me in shambles...

Also, Amane is totally the best heroine I have ever seen in a VN, she really takes 'airhead' to a whole new level, hue hue hue. #bestpuns #killmepls

I concur, Key is terrible at H-scenes (see: Kanon)

My favourite VN is probably KonoSora because both Amane and Kotori's routes left me in shambles...

Also, Amane is totally the best heroine I have ever seen in a VN, she really takes 'airhead' to a whole new level, hue hue hue. #bestpuns #killmepls

I do think Amane's route was the best route, but I don't really like her. Not her personality, nor her body (Kotori has the best body). But that's just like, my opinion. Enjoy your woman women.

I think G-senjou no Maou is the best VN I have played.

Reasons being:

1) Morally ambiguous protagonist and no clearly heroic / perfect characters - much more realistic cast than most stories

2) Bad endings that actually make sense, have story, and are a clear result of an obvious path that the protagonist could have easily walked

3) True ending that is clever, believable, and both hopeful and tragic at the same time

The game has some flaws, such as a mild over-reliance on not particularly clever "dumb comedy" for some of the lighter moments, as well as at least one heroine that some people may find hard to like. But overall, it's a masterpiece.

I think either Fortissimo, If My Heart Had Wings or Princess Evangile.

Reasons;

Fortissimo

1) The OST is epic.

2) The characters are pretty cool.

3) The story is good despite it being rip-off Fate/Stay Night.

4) The art looks amazing.

5) Amamiya

Kono Oozora ni, Tsubasa wo Hirogete

1) OST is really calming and great.

2) The story is not unbelievable-like.

3) The art also looks amazing, especially the backgrounds.

4) I simply, like sky, a lot.

5) Amane

Princess Evangile

1) Art looks nice

2) I was really interested about what will happen next, each episode

3) Some of the OST is really good

4) Ayaka

Katawa Shoujo or Comyu, probably the former. Mainly because Katawa Shoujo is what got me into VN's, so I owe a lot to it. That and I loved how they handled the girls' disabilities, not shoving it in your face like "HEY, THESE GIRLS ARE DISABLED, FEEL BAD FOR THEM AND LOVE THEM". Also because Hanako is forever my #1 waifu. 

1) Muv Luv Alternative

- Hard sci-fi loosely based on real scientific theories

- "futuristic" Glorification of science & technical ADVANCE

- Yuuko Kozuki

-

the dialogue between Takeru and the "primary objective" at the end

- Military + epic battles

- the whole "return to EXTRA" chapter

2) Chaos;Head

- Finally a japanese adolescent with a proper atitude toward school (sabote it as much as possible lel), I'm sick of those  disgusting good students.

- Protagonist with clear mental issues and w/ unpredictable tough pattern

- Great, concept, narrative pace (from start to finish) and plot twists.

- SONO ME DARE NO ME