Mangagamer climbing Navel's ladder

Maxel

Hey guys, had some free time and made image showing all Navel's titles and their scores. It looks like Navel made easy demands on MG, if they want the partnership, they'll need to release titles from the oldest to the newest, that's how it looks atleast. So, what do you guys think, will we be getting best Navel's games anytime soon? It wasn't annouced at AX or Otakon which is pretty strange and disturbing.

8HNY2OZ.png

OreTsuba has some licensing issues that MG can't go around. I forgot what it was, but I think it was voice related (and it's the best Navel's game for fuck's sake).

It's a mystery why they haven't gone for Tsuki no Yorisou to me too, though. Maybe they can't find anyone who'd want to translate it? It's pretty long as far as I can remember.

The games they've tled so far are all on the short side though, so I do not doubt that factored into their decisions.

This game (OreTsuba) could rock the Steam market(ideal game to be released in 2015/16). Would be nice to get some infos directly from MG staff.

The already tled games aren't that great, I doubt they can even be called good ones.

Oretsuba. We can dream.

OreTsuba has some licensing issues that MG can't go around. I forgot what it was, but I think it was voice related (and it's the best Navel's game for fuck's sake).

It's a mystery why they haven't gone for Tsuki no Yorisou to me too, though. Maybe they can't find anyone who'd want to translate it? It's pretty long as far as I can remember.

The games they've tled so far are all on the short side though, so I do not doubt that factored into their decisions.

That makes me sad. I hope they settle it in some way.

I have interest in the whole Tsuki ni Yorisou trilogy. From what little I've read of the first, however, I feel as though some more subtle problems with translation will arise, such as a consistent stream of puns and discussion of terms that are exclusive to Japanese grammar, matters that would require high English creativity as well as Japanese proficiency. But it's certainly doable, and the games have potential to carry into English well.

Kouryou mentioned Oretsuba on the MG forums before, and at the time he didn't mention any licensing issues, and simply said the game is too long and too slang-heavy, it's translatable but it would be an expensive and time consuming effort and they didn't believe that they could turn a profit on it with their current sale figures. That was pre-steam. I suppose conjueror would know more than us about potential licensing issues. Although I suspect the issue would simply be that the voices are too expensive to license due to the sheer amount of voicework. Again, it's a matter of profitability. 

Tsuriotsu not being licensed is just something I don't really understand. It's not all that long and content-wise it seems right in MG's wheelhouse, there should be nothing holding back a licensing deal, and it's a well regarded series. I don't fully understand their decision to not license it, but it may be due to its themes being a bit redundant with their other titles. 2012's Otoboku, 2013's Harukoi Otome, and 2015's Princess Evangile all feature all-girls schools, and Otoboku even features a cross-dressing protagonist. 

So Oretsuba is out of reach huh? :cry:

Tsuki no Yorisou would be enough for me to be happy .. @Conjueror you sure have time to translate this right? XD Tokyo Babel isn't that important :P (But I look forward to it)

I liked Tokyo Babel way more, but Tsuki no Yorisou is probably smth I would still translate (though it's pretty low on my priority list). :P

It has been a dry two years, sadly...  there have been a few really standout games, but in exchange, the ratio of crap to the good ones has exploded in favor of the crap.  Well, really it is just 'average-quality' games... but in the sense of being yawn-worthy...

That said, the really good ones that have come out really stand out in my memory...  most of the sequels have followed the 'law of game sequels' though (to which there are exceptions that prove the rule, lol). 

In reality, if Tsuriotsu 2 were to just stand on its own without the connection to the original, I probably would have liked it more... sadly, the main heroines were just dull in comparison to Luna from the original, lol.  The sharp changes in the protag's personality toward the end of the heroine routes in several cases were a huge downer as well, since that arrogant narcissism combined with competence (and a downright unhealthy dose of half-sexual adoration for his parents) is what made him so interesting to self-insert into.  I realize they felt they had to tune down the protag's personality to let the heroines stand out more in their paths, but it felt really forced.

i also consider the series complete with otome riron & than thats it. tsuriotsu II been nothing but a great dissappointment when compared to its precedessors, felt so darn average & devoid of imagination, so yeah despite what getchu awarded it, or not, its simply not worth playing if one expects something great btw. innovative

i also consider the series complete with otome riron & than thats it. tsuriotsu II been nothing but a great dissappointment when compared to its precedessors, felt so darn average & devoid of imagination, so yeah despite what getchu awarded it, or not, its simply not worth playing if one expects something great btw. innovative

Oretsuba is too long and complicated to translate,and Mangagamer is already busy with Da Capo 3(MG has been working on it for a long time,but slowly because the game is too damn long.They would have to stop working in everything else and dedicate all of their resources in this game only,which wouldn't be worth it,obviously),MAYBE they will consider Oretsuba after they are finished with Da Capo 3,but until then,don't expect on anybody working on the game anytime soon.