Otakon2015 Announcements & Discussion

kyrt

I want to make sure of something. Are you sure you didn't mishear something about Grisaia unrated? They announced Magical Girl Chiru Chiru is releasing next week, which you should probably add to the OP, but I didn't hear them say anything about Grisaia unrated. Perhaps you mixed the two up.

I want to make sure of something. Are you sure you didn't mishear something about Grisaia unrated? They announced Magical Girl Chiru Chiru is releasing next week, which you should probably add to the OP, but I didn't hear them say anything about Grisaia unrated. Perhaps you mixed the two up.

I am pretty sure I mean it's possible I misheard but they did say soon maybe it was an August release and I got it mixed up with Chiru Chiru...also yeah I'll update it to include Magical Girl Chiru Chiru.

Oh my god, this is golden, guy who translated Chiru Chiru for Frontwing hasn't even read Meikyuu and Rakuen...

https://www.reddit.com/r/visualnovels/comments/3el81z/sekai_projects_fruit_of_grisaia_unrated_has/ctfza91

oh boy, here we fucking go again, seriously I feel like VN readers doesnt even want localizations sometimes :P.

I put two notes of caution on the first post for the chiru chiru release 1. may spoil parts of the main trilogy (no idea if this is true). 2. it was translated by a different person than who did the main trilogy likely to coincide with the recent completion of the anime. Should I keep either of those cautions or should I get rid of them?

What did they say exactly?

I can't pull an exact quote from memory, he was being kind of cagey and indirect about it so it was said in a convoluted way. He said something like look at the way Sunrider, Nekopara, and Grisaia are handled with regards to 18+ releases and expect the same treatment for all of their games.

I put two notes of caution on the first post for the chiru chiru release 1. may spoil parts of the main trilogy (no idea if this is true). 2. it was translated by a different person than who did the main trilogy likely to coincide with the recent completion of the anime. Should I keep either of those cautions or should I get rid of them?

Keep 'em.

@Magical Girl Chiru Chiru drama: Lol.  Wow.  It does sound like Sekai Project's hands are tied here though; it seems the blame lies with Frontwing here.  Still, I agree with herkz that the Kickstarter stretch goal implied that koestl and friends specifically would do the translation.  It's not professional to change horses mid-stream, and we're essentially seeing the danger of using Kickstarter here: you might not get the product that was promised.  I can't really blame the translator who provoked this mess; from his perspective he did the right thing by approaching Frontwing directly.  Given that information, Frontwing made the wrong call.

Regarding Tenshin Ranman and Yuzusoft: This is a pretty amazing announcement, and my faith in Sekai Project and their continued commitment to releasing eroge is somewhat rejuvenated.  I remain skeptical that any other existing Yuzusoft titles will see English releases, however, since Sekai Project is committed to non-adult releases and other titles don't have non-adult versions in Japan.  But that's besides the point.  Sekai Project announced a title from an extremely popular eroge developer, which previously wasn't interested in the English market, without a fan translation in hand.  That's a major coup.  My guess is they scored this license using their connection to Visual Arts / Key.

Also relevant: 5pb is releasing the Psycho-Pass visual novel exclusive to the X-Box One (in English) because they're insane I guess

Regarding Tenshin Ranman and Yuzusoft: This is a pretty amazing announcement, and my faith in Sekai Project and their continued commitment to releasing eroge is somewhat rejuvenated.  I remain skeptical that any other existing Yuzusoft titles will see English releases, however, since Sekai Project is committed to non-adult releases and other titles don't have non-adult versions in Japan.  But that's besides the point.  Sekai Project announced a title from an extremely popular eroge developer, which previously wasn't interested in the English market, without a fan translation in hand.  That's a major coup.  My guess is they scored this license using their connection to Visual Arts / Key.

Also relevant: 5pb is releasing the Psycho-Pass visual novel exclusive to the X-Box One (in English) because they're insane I guess

As long i get my 18+ versions out of there licenses they can do as many all-ages versions out of it as they want.

Oh and lol @ X-Box One VN release.

If 5pb thinks console sales are going to somehow be better than JAST's sales for Steins;Gate they are going to be sorely disappointed. I'm not sure why they left JAST these games would sell on PC but console and XBOX One of all things...lol. Visual Novels are not console games. It would be nice if 5pb could realize the market for visual novels is in PC and little else...although handheld is sometimes decent...hell even PS4 would be better than the Xbox One...what are they thinking. I thought releasing that game Eiyuu Senki on PS3 was a bad move (speaking of which no mention of that anywhere?) but wow they really have no idea about vn market outside of Japan.

I haven't gotten in contact with any of the actual Tenshin Ranman fan project members, but from what I hear from someone who knows those folk well, it seems that the fan project indeed is an entirely separate effort. 

The comically unfortunate part of that is that just two weeks ago they announced that the project has actually been revived, they recruited two new actual translators not using machine translation (I guess their old efforts were machine assisted, the screenshots I saw looked real bad), and that they had three routes done. And now this. lol, talk about bad timing.

So turns out SP is doing a Kickstarter for Root Double...can they actually even call it a future release if they haven't even acquired the finances for it? Seems a bit....

Gotta admit I've lost some respect for them, though I realize at least Chiruchiru is out of their control. <_<