What are you playing?

Haha, looks like I unintentionally started a debate. 

Here's the facts:

1. I am using Steam
  2. I just set up said Steam account so I don't have any friends on it, nor would I particularly care if they saw.
  3. There's 3 options on Steam, original Japanese text and 2 translations.  I was just wondering if one was better than the other. 

Haha, looks like I unintentionally started a debate. 

Here's the facts:

1. I am using Steam
  2. I just set up said Steam account so I don't have any friends on it, nor would I particularly care if they saw.
  3. There's 3 options on Steam, original Japanese text and 2 translations.  I was just wondering if one was better than the other.

Nah, not so much a debate as a conversation.  I'm just saying why some people might be embarrassed about playing VNs.

All I see is the Japanese voiced one with English translated subtitles...the other ones I saw were the trailer and the soundtrack.  Mind giving me a link or a screenshot?

Does Akiba's Trip or Sao:Hollow Fragments counts as VN? 

I think they are in vn category as they have dialouge and gameplay?

They have too much interactivity and gameplay to be considered a visual novel. They are no strict definitions, but I usually just use VNDB's guidelines for what I consider to be a visual novel.

See:

VNDB's FAQ

When to add a visual novel

Does Akiba's Trip or Sao:Hollow Fragments counts as VN? 

I think they are in vn category as they have dialouge and gameplay?

I think they have too much gameplay elements to be considered VNs, even though kamidori and the like still are considered VNs those 2 aren't.

Is Jackson's writing really that difficult to read though?

I'm reading Oretsuba right now and it's really... ugh let's just say it takes a lot of patience to wade through because of how "colorful" it is (it has a crapload of "varieties" to it). -.- Literally the only thing helping me read this is the fact that I watched the anime (which is half-good half-bad) and know maybe 1/3 (or possibly less) of the whole VN enough to determine what's being documented in this "colorful" style of japanese.

Really, reading japanese or any different language at novice/amateurish levels for that matter is not so much "difficult" as it's just a smaller payoff for putting in more time. One could easily perceive their feelings of laziness in accordance to the payoff they receive as "difficulty" and then think the activity an impossible obstacle to overcome when it's actually not. Please don't be like me and let yourselves get discouraged by this illusion of difficulty that is in reading these famous high-end untranslated VNs (Muramasa, Dies Irae, Asairo, Ruitomo, Oretsuba, Subahibi, etc.). xD They are "uniquely written" in comparison to average fare, and not "difficultly written". Although I guess feelings don't lie, as it truly is difficult to have to sacrifice immersion for the analysis and understanding of what you're reading.

Just finished Natsumi's chapter.  Hopefully I can get through a decent chunk of Chapter 5 tonight.  It was better than I expected it to be, but I still like Sachi's and Touka's better.

EDIT: Wow. 

Some of the things Houzuki is saying strongly remind me of

Nineteen Eighty-Four, which, while fitting for the social setting, is pretty damn disturbing.

Ken: "Is your purpose to make me surrender to you utterly?"

Houzuki: "That is the final exam for one seeking to become a Special High Class Individual.  You take a person with money, power, and position, then crush them when they are at the height of their foolish pride.  That is how you complete the process of constructing an individual who is especially high class."

EDIT x2: Oh my God, I finally learned where Touka got her "I'll murder you!" line from, and that one-liner, and all of her tsundere phrases  xD 

Ririko is a huge troll, and now also one of my favorite characters from Sharin.

Slowly working my way through Makina's route. Still in the "funny part", which is nice. Makina and/or Sachi trolling Michiru is one of the best things about Grisaia.

Just finished Natsumi's chapter.  Hopefully I can get through a decent chunk of Chapter 5 tonight.  It was better than I expected it to be, but I still like Sachi's and Touka's better.

Nineteen Eighty-Four, which, while fitting for the social setting, is pretty damn disturbing.

Houzuki: "That is the final exam for one seeking to become a Special High Class Individual.  You take a person with money, power, and position, then crush them when they are at the height of their foolish pride.  That is how you complete the process of constructing an individual who is especially high class."

EDIT x2: Oh my God, I finally learned where Touka got her "I'll murder you!" line from, and that one-liner, and all of her tsundere phrases  xD 

It's funny because Ririko is a sadist, which means a sadist's favorite way to troll the world is "tsundere creation". Can't fault the logic, personally.

Oh so you finally reached my fav character in Sharin.

Nah, not so much a debate as a conversation.  I'm just saying why some people might be embarrassed about playing VNs.

All I see is the Japanese voiced one with English translated subtitles...the other ones I saw were the trailer and the soundtrack.  Mind giving me a link or a screenshot?

34qtzpf.jpg

Slowly working my way through Makina's route. Still in the "funny part", which is nice. Makina and/or Sachi trolling Michiru is one of the best things about Grisaia.

It's funny because Ririko is a sadist, which means a sadist's favorite way to troll the world is "tsundere creation". Can't fault the logic, personally.

Those are some of the best bits, IMO.  Michiru is the perfect butt monkey, since she doesn't learn and she either gets really indignant, really embarrassed, or really pissed off afterwards.

Soon she'll create a tsundere army to piss off every MC ever. All hail Ririko.

It's time.

0GqPwKB.jpg

(I haz such plying skillz)

You gotta tell us just how hilarious it is.  I thought it was a joke at first  xD

34qtzpf.jpg

Well, after googling both of the translations (thanks for the pic, by the way, the Steam page failed to mention that it had 3 translations), it seems like gp32's translation is thought of as the better one, but nobody actually cited any evidence, so I don't think it'd matter that much which one you pick.

Oh so you finally reached my fav character in Sharin.

Yarp.  'Bout time, right?  I'm slow as hell with reading VNs.

Kinda figured out that she was the secret heroine, even before she appeared in the present. Sharin is a lot like Grisaia, after all; dem brocons.

It's time.

0GqPwKB.jpg

(I haz such plying skillz)

I give you real props for purchasing that. I was going to purchase it but held back because it's all-ages and I wasn't sure how good this will be.

I have yet to purchase a Windows VN 18+ game from Japan ... :/ I purchased like so many of everything out there except PC 18+ games because they're hard to get. J-List charges three arms and seven feet and I dislike the website more than Play-Asia.

Well, after googling both of the translations (thanks for the pic, by the way, the Steam page failed to mention that it had 3 translations), it seems like gp32's translation is thought of as the better one, but nobody actually cited any evidence, so I don't think it'd matter that much which one you pick.

Thanks, I couldn't find it but I may have been looking in the wrong place.  I'll go with that one then.