What are you playing?

That's bizarre. Anyways, most people seem to think that the unlockable final route is the best, it's also the one that makes sense out of a lot of the backstory that goes unexplained in other routes. You could probably skip Chihaya's route if you really want to but if you actually care about the story in Rewrite you should read all of the others and if you don't care about it, then just stop reading right now because that's what the game is about past the common route. You've already read the most romance-heavy and character-oriented route

that's.... disappointing in a way,

chihaya's route is actually one of the two i wanna do <akane's boobs being the other one> and i think i will do all the routes, i am really curios about the protagonist's past, i probably should have realized myself it would be explained in the unlockable route

still

it really pisses me off the fact that they just swept the brenda matter under the rug, like what the hell, I imagine this is how i would feel if i tried to play little busters and met the girl's who have routes in ex, it would just feel like they left out something big

Unless you are interested in seeing a script utterly fail, I would strongly recommend against it. 

Ok, I'll bite. What's so bad about Chihaya's route? Maybe it wasn't my favorite, but it laid a lot of important backstory groundwork*, completely fleshed out a great character*, and had a more satisfying ending than Kotori's route* (biggest disappointment of the game, given that Kotori is obviously best girl).

1. It was the only vehicle used for explaining the "rewrite" power itself

2. Yoshino is best not-girl, but Sakuya is pretty awesome too

3. Although it's not hard to beat "Ganbare...! Ganbare...!"

Ok, I'll bite. What's so bad about Chihaya's route? Maybe it wasn't my favorite, but it laid a lot of important backstory groundwork*, completely fleshed out a great character*, and had a more satisfying ending than Kotori's route* (biggest disappointment of the game, given that Kotori is obviously best girl).

The villain was obnoxious. He was like a cackling evil supervillain straight out of a bad DC comic, with no depth, no compelling motivation, and was a really boring character overall. The action was the primary focus of the route and it was really boring and predictable. The romance between Kotarou and Chihaya was never fully realized, never went beyond awkward romantic tension. The story was too far divorced from the main conflict between guardian and gaia, and also the end of the world. There are way too many plot holes and inconsistencies with the rest of the VN, it felt like the writer (who wrote only that route) didn't have full information on the rest of the VN's lore.

Exposition can come from anywhere, I won't rate a route highly just because it had an interesting bit of information or two contained within. The actual meat and potatoes of the route are pretty far below par.

The villain was obnoxious. He was like a cackling evil supervillain straight out of a bad DC comic, with no depth, no compelling motivation, and was a really boring character overall. The action was the primary focus of the route and it was really boring and predictable. The romance between Kotarou and Chihaya was never fully realized, never went beyond awkward romantic tension. The story was too far divorced from the main conflict between guardian and gaia, and also the end of the world. There are way too many plot holes and inconsistencies with the rest of the VN, it felt like the writer (who wrote only that route) didn't have full information on the rest of the VN's lore.

Exposition can come from anywhere, I won't rate a route highly just because it had an interesting bit of information or two contained within. The actual meat and potatoes of the route are pretty far below par.

Regarding villains:

Are you talking about the villain from Chihaya's route, or the villain from Lucia's route? Because while I don't even remember the former (which is probably a point against Chihaya's route, but nonetheless...), the latter is what came immediately to mind when you said "was like a cackling evil supervillain straight out of a bad DC comic, with no depth, no compelling motivation, and was a really boring character overall". The only moderately interesting villain I remember from Rewrite is the Holy Woman whose name I forget, mostly featured in Akane's route. Pretty much the only compelling characters from Rewrite, for me, were the damaged heroes, rather than the villains: all the heroines, Sakuya, Nishikujou, Esaka, and finally Kotarou. I wish I could add Yoshino that list, but his potential went unrealized. Clearly a Yoshino fandisc is called for.

Alright some of my comments in Rewrite:

Chihaya's route did contain useful info about Kotarou's ability and the mysteriou's Sakuya's origins but that's pretty much it. Sure it's a good idea to give a background to the heroine's past but I think they used too much time on that. There wasn't much events in the present and I agree that the antagonist of her route is too much. Seriously, burning yourself to death? And what with the contact with Hell after that? His motivations were vague and the only thing I understood is that it's his little play of psychotic revenge as seen in the possibility of the Terra route. To you guys who might've forgotten, he's one of the kids that Kotarou saved. Finally, the appearance of Sakuya's giant form. I think I remember something along the lines of it being able to destroy the world. Like seriously? It makes the Key look like a joke. Forgive me if I'm being too negative about Chihaya's route but it's the very first route I've ever played in Rewrite and I was disappointed in it. So yeah I might be being too critical about it.

Like a lot of people, I also think that Lucia's route is the best among the heroines but it's not exactly perfect either. While it's personal preference that I liked the little touch of mystery and it really got to me, Lucia's backstory is also quite good (please hit me since I'm getting aware that my bias is too much) and how it explained her usual behavior and how the past haunts her back. The only thing that I think they wasted too much time is their misunderstandings. Kotarou already made it clear that he'll stay with her but a stranger's comment (the doctor's so doctor-like comment) ends up with her not listening until the end. I also really liked the drama on this one (putting aside the misunderstanding between the two because Kotarou is being as dense as Ichika(IS)) as to how it'll be hard to stay together so Kotarou changed himself. 

Edit: Forgot Kotori's route

I can summarize it on one sentence. Twisted sense of responsibility of Kotori and vague sense of values.

Regarding villains:

Are you talking about the villain from Chihaya's route, or the villain from Lucia's route? Because while I don't even remember the former (which is probably a point against Chihaya's route, but nonetheless...), the latter is what came immediately to mind when you said "was like a cackling evil supervillain straight out of a bad DC comic, with no depth, no compelling motivation, and was a really boring character overall". The only moderately interesting villain I remember from Rewrite is the Holy Woman whose name I forget, mostly featured in Akane's route. Pretty much the only compelling characters from Rewrite, for me, were the damaged heroes, rather than the villains: all the heroines, Sakuya, Nishikujou, Esaka, and finally Kotarou. I wish I could add Yoshino that list, but his potential went unrealized. Clearly a Yoshino fandisc is called for.

The villain in the Chihaya route was the pyromaniac. The guy who could control fire as a familiar. That's who I was talking about (My whole post was about the chihaya route). The doctor from Lucia's route was bad, but at least you could understand the motivation more and her wickedness wasn't nearly as comically overblown the Chihaya route guy.

Continuing Higurashi.

I take my word back. Rena isn't kyute at all.

That scene where Keiichi asks if they keep a secret from him, the scene where she shows her yandere-ness for the first time, is so damn terrifying it gave me chills.

God, I couldn't imagine how that scene is like with the voiced version.

I will nightmare tonight.

I've finished Eika's and (technically) Ryou's routes. I'm going over to Onigase's and the maid now.

Eika's Route

As I had predicted Eika really had some extreme problems with her sexual frustration. Frankly, the whole route looked like nukige material to me, making me disappointed in the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed it. For some reason I already knew her parents were siblings, though I don't know if I spoiled myself on that or if I had learnt it from Ryou's route or something. 

Regarding the route, it was mostly sex and masturbation so I don't have much to comment (regretfully, I only came back to my senses and started skipping later on in the route. It seems I really enjoy female masturbation over sex).

I actually took the whole thing quite seriously until... her hair turned white. Vomiting blood, extreme attraction to her brother? I was starting to think about how being born from incest had somehow caused this but the game made it quite clear it was not meant to be taken seriously by the point she ate a cellphone.

Either way, if this route makes me look up Nukige of the same type I will forever hold a grudge.

Their parents... Really quirky but it seems like they revealed an awful lot unnecessarily there at the end. I haven't played the maid's route but now I know, or have been told, that she was hired by them. That their friends were told to watch over them, that they "helped" Ryou (this is actually good foreshadowing - in a recommended order Ryou's route should come after Eika's.).

Ryou's Route

This one was considerably more serious than the last, though it consisted heavily of exposition on Chouji's past, which I liked. We got to know about all the nonsense behind the family (what was left out in Eika's route) and in general, their past and how Chouji used to be.

He looked somewhat cool with how he figures things out as a smart person contrary to how he was in the past. Ryou's issues were very serious but he managed to solve them with a mix of his past self and his present self.

Then came the H-Scenes, and I'm starting to think this game doesn't do too many normal H-Scenes...

Contrary to what I thought, Ryou was not completely clueless in matters of sex. Though her personality change from having a camera pointed at her and when she was living together with Chouji while he was afraid of her were really cute, she quickly turned back into her sadist self.

Very love, much cute.

I also have a question, was this in the original Japanese? And isn't it just bloody hilarious? (no spoilers)

Simply_Hilarious.png

I've finished Eika's and (technically) Ryou's routes. I'm going over to Onigase's and the maid now.

Eika's Route

As I had predicted Eika really had some extreme problems with her sexual frustration. Frankly, the whole route looked like nukige material to me, making me disappointed in the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed it. For some reason I already knew her parents were siblings, though I don't know if I spoiled myself on that or if I had learnt it from Ryou's route or something. 

Regarding the route, it was mostly sex and masturbation so I don't have much to comment (regretfully, I only came back to my senses and started skipping later on in the route. It seems I really enjoy female masturbation over sex).

I actually took the whole thing quite seriously until... her hair turned white. Vomiting blood, extreme attraction to her brother? I was starting to think about how being born from incest had somehow caused this but the game made it quite clear it was not meant to be taken seriously by the point she ate a cellphone.

Either way, if this route makes me look up Nukige of the same type I will forever hold a grudge.

Their parents... Really quirky but it seems like they revealed an awful lot unnecessarily there at the end. I haven't played the maid's route but now I know, or have been told, that she was hired by them. That their friends were told to watch over them, that they "helped" Ryou (this is actually good foreshadowing - in a recommended order Ryou's route should come after Eika's.).

Ryou's Route

This one was considerably more serious than the last, though it consisted heavily of exposition on Chouji's past, which I liked. We got to know about all the nonsense behind the family (what was left out in Eika's route) and in general, their past and how Chouji used to be.

He looked somewhat cool with how he figures things out as a smart person contrary to how he was in the past. Ryou's issues were very serious but he managed to solve them with a mix of his past self and his present self.

Then came the H-Scenes, and I'm starting to think this game doesn't do too many normal H-Scenes...

Contrary to what I thought, Ryou was not completely clueless in matters of sex. Though her personality change from having a camera pointed at her and when she was living together with Chouji while he was afraid of her were really cute, she quickly turned back into her sadist self.

Very love, much cute.

I also have a question, was this in the original Japanese? And isn't it just bloody hilarious? (no spoilers)

Simply_Hilarious.png

Eika's Route:

Yep I think it has the most sexual content from all the routes so you can expect the last 2 routes you'll read to not have that much. Well just like you said it was mostly about Eika's sexual problems so I didn't really took anything seriously when I realized that. Most of the route is predictable like that their parents didn't die but I didn't expect for Tsumugu to be actually under the orders of their parents. I completely missed this since I thought Tsumugu's reason for being there will only be dealt with in her route. Guess I'm wrong on that.

Objectively, it's terribad but I really liked the comedy on this one. Those overblown reactions from being separated from her brother and how much she's addicted to him. Such a brocon and it might've awoken my love for little sisters

And now hear my rant thoughts about Koichoco. This is a bit of spoiler-heavy so read in your own discretion.

Still hating how the MC's dense and spineless. He won't do anything unless he's forced and he still keeps on whining about it even when he's already doing it. Also what's with the convenient storytelling? This is supposed to be about elections and how they will persuade people and yet they keep the speeches short. This is especially true in the MC's speech since he

conveniently blacked out and doesn't remember even.a.tiny.bit of what he said onstage. The members said it's good and it ends in that. That and he keeps fussing about his name and being too indignant about it. Sure you'll hate it if people don't get it right but can't he already get it that they're just messing around with him?

Also there's the forced and awkward scenes. Like seriously, you're in school, someone calls a girl 'smelly' and the girls asks a guy she recently met to smell her. Not only that but also in her armpits. Like what? What? What? What? What? And the guys accepts the proposition. I asked my laptop a few times when this scene was unfolding. I don't know about you girls but I don't think that's normal or even conceivable by a modern human. And no, I don't think there was any implications of seduction or arousal on this one. I just find the situation nonsensical. 

Now you might be wondering why am I still reading it when I'm already this annoyed but I seriously think it still has some potential to redeem this mess. I'm just past the preliminaries and there could be something better in store for me. Well at least I'm hoping. I don't hate the elections part since it has potential to see a battle of wits and they slip in once in a while but most of the situations are really unnatural. Both in how it happens and the probability of the situations from occurring.

I deeply apologize to anyone who read this rant but I need to get it out there somewhere. That and I need to find people who have read this already and ask if it will get better.

To those who doesn't want to get spoiled but want some idea on this, you might want to pass on this if you want a good MC. I find the MC of this VN to be highly undesirable. Well that's just me.

I think I am slowly nearing the climax of Senshinkan, as the main plot was just explained completely. I have to admit that the entire infodump felt kind of... awkward... maybe too long, too, but I can't say it wasn't fitting, at the very least. With the end-goal clearly in sight, I'm starting to get an idea of what Bansenjin will be about. I'm afraid they will cut it at a stupid time because of the sequel, but at the same time if my predictions for the sequel are right.... oh my god, Bansenjin will be nuts. o.O

Continuing Higurashi.

I take my word back. Rena isn't kyute at all.

That scene where Keiichi asks if they keep a secret from him, the scene where she shows her yandere-ness for the first time, is so damn terrifying it gave me chills.

God, I couldn't imagine how that scene is like with the voiced version.

I will nightmare tonight.

It's complete PTSD material with the voices, I can tell you that much. D: How's the new art in that scene, by the way?

Here's the scene in Matsuri, the PS2 version, if you're interested. (You're referring to the "That's a lie!" scene, right? If not then don't watch. :x)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtDB5dtKS4w

In Sui, they removed those overblown scream-videos, though the more subtler verison is arguably even creepier. D:

Also, it's only going to get worse from here. Enjoy.

It's complete PTSD material with the voices, I can tell you that much. D: How's the new art in that scene, by the way?

Here's the scene in Matsuri, the PS2 version, if you're interested. (You're referring to the "That's a lie!" scene, right? If not then don't watch. :x)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtDB5dtKS4w

In Sui, they removed those overblown scream-videos, though the more subtler verison is arguably even creepier. D:

Also, it's only going to get worse from here. Enjoy.

Man, that surprised me. >.>

Yeah, I mean the "uso da!" scene or so people called it.

The new art is.. absolutely frightening. I mean, how am I supposed to expect this sprite if all I saw before was cute moe art styles?

I'd advice you not to open this if you want to read MG version later.

2fReVCZ.png

I got chiils the moment she changed her expression.

Imagine being interrogated by her, all the while she has that empty looks on her eyes. And since there's no CGs and the VN is in NVL format, it was pretty hard to avoid eye contact with these eyes. :vinty:

Goodbye sleep.

The most glaring problem with Chihaya's route is the story and the way it was told.

It's structure can easily be dismantled into three steps: 1. Train for the boss, 2. Develop the characters and 3: Fight the boss.

This basic outline would actually work as a story, if it wasn't repeated FOUR times. There are FOUR climax-worthy fights with a lot at stake in this route, all apart by two hours of non-action. The author probably thought it would be easy to keep the reader interested, by throwing more "epic" boss fights into the story, but it actually just becomes tiring and I wanted it to end already. 

To make it simple: The pacing sucks and there's no engaging structure. It's just four boss fights tacked together by an hour of filler in between.

The second issue is Sakuya.

Mr. Mary Sue: The most perfect and most powerful being ever, loved by everyone. Sakuya breaks every bit of interest into Chihaya and the protagonist, because he constantly overshadows them by just being in the same story. Especially Chihaya is constantly affected by a severe case of "needs something to do in this scene". 

Chihaya's strengths and powers don't matter, because they belong to Sakuya. And it doesn't matter how much the protagonist trains or even if he defeats the mad boss character in the gym; Sakuya is somewhere else, fighting a biggerer and badderer monster.

To highlight why this is a problem, think back to Lucia's route:

When the entire city is poisoned, Chihaya shows up and tells us, that the bandages from Sakuya keep her safe. That makes sense and is perfect.

Now imagine her saying; "Right now, he's fighting a gigantic magic-demon five times as big as earth, while we go and safe Lucia."

Stuff like that takes away the tension and stakes of the main problem. JUST MAKE SAKUYA FIGHT GOONS OFFSCREEN AND MENTION IT LATER.

I don't like this character, because the story tells my to like him, instead of showing why I should like him.

Lastly, we have the other characters... Uh...

Let's see... A bunch of faceless goons, characters from guardian being shoehorned into the plot in order to have another boss fight and a deptless saturday morning cartoon villain, talking about hate 24/7 and burning things.

On our side, we have our worthless main characters, watching most of the plot happening from the sidelines, because Mr. Perfect seems to be doing all the important work.

But surely we could tolerate their inability to influence the story, by having a great love story right?

Okay, Chihaya and Kotaru. Both of them are awkwardly hitting on each other, that's good. And then they confess. And they continue to act awkward. And then they start talking about marriage. While being awkward.

Oh, the romance sucked too huh? Go figure... 

So, to summarize: Chihaya's route is a bunch of independent boss fights (against people we don't care about), tied together by non-romantic romance filler between two characters we don't care about, because the real main character is more important than them.

It's without a doubt the worst thing I've ever read. You can point at everything in my VNDB and I will make a point as to why I enjoyed it more than Chihaya's route.

Higurashi

Walking home with Rena, and Keiichi asked if the others were hiding anything from him. After a civil discussion on the matter, Rena heads home... and while they don't specifically come out and say it... I believe Keiichi is left sitting on the road after having had the **** literally scared out of him.

Finished Majikoi. Though I had actually finished it at 1 in the night yesterday....... god I just couldn't sleep till I finished it.

Well it fantastic as expected and undoubtedly Agave is crowned as the best route. 

I have to say that it had one of the best moments of Gakuto and Kuki Hideo. To remain that virtuous even when Touma said that his help was a charade, #respect.

The revelation about Koyuki had an impact. The theme of one who was saved and the one who wasn't did stir me.

And ah that 'Miyako+Yamato-milk' .......... to think that they actually carried it into agave route and even made it a plot device......... Majikoi classic Majikoi.

I did want to see a brief ending scene about the time when all them meet again after 50yrs when the agave blossoms, pretty sad that they didn't show it.

Overall I just loved Majikoi.

It is definitely one of the best vns I have read.

Feel pretty sad that it's over now. Well now to wait till S is completely translated.

Higurashi: The Paranoia Continues.

Best girl Mion turned out to be a yandere too. I'm so sad.

I'm currently at the point where the game is throwing a lot of evidences about Rena & co. being the culprits while also trying to convince me that these girls are innocent (by showing how kyute they are). To be precise, I'm at the point where Keiichi just went berserk and tried to hit empty space at the front door.

Mion mentioned that Ooishi is Oyashiro-sama's messenger, does that mean everyone who gets 'demoned away' learned about the curse from Ooishi and then deemed as 'knowing too much' by the villager? But that doesn't make sense because the victims should've known about it in the first 3 cases of Onikakushi. And why Rena is so frightened about, assuming Keiichi's intuition is right, being the victim if they are really the culprits?! :conspiracy:

Also, I still get shiver every time I saw Rena's empty eyes. Well done, artist-san.

Started Eien no Aselia. I was already expecting the art to be really different from the VNs that are newly released but it was still out of my expectations. I haven't played any VNs as old (2003 release) as it but the art is really . . . different. Well it's still better than my stick drawing so I can't complain. The MC is a bit of a hothead but his reasons are somewhat understandable so it's fine. Idk why but glasses in VN really puts me off for some reason. I never found bespectacled girls good-looking (keep your pitchforks). No, I have nothing against glasses since I also wear one.

idk if this even a spoiler:

I liked the fact that they used some sort of language since he was slipped into another world. I was always wondering how aliens/monsters/some sort of non-earthling being always spoke Japanese but this one made it's own language. I think. Well I'm only bilingual but I believe it's a made-up language. They're still speaking sun runes so I have no idea what they're talking about. And apparently, thumbs up will get you an embarrassed reaction. idk why.

yet