Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series Kickstarter [MILLION DOLLAR BABY]

Down

Yeah, Shenmue is the most recent example. It was already being made, they said the Kickstarter was done to gauge interest in the product though, and that if the KS succeeded or failed, it'd still be made...

Then they did a second Kickstarter, as well...

KS is a shop, pretty much, where you can pre-order a game before it's even made.

Yeah, Shenmue is the most recent example. It was already being made, they said the Kickstarter was done to gauge interest in the product though, and that if the KS succeeded or failed, it'd still be made...

Then they did a second Kickstarter, as well...

KS is a shop, pretty much, where you can pre-order a game before it's even made.

Not to get too off track, but there is almost nothing true in your post.  And the part that is is misleading.  Shenmue 3 would not have been made without Kickstarter.  That one Sony rep talked about how he could have pushed for it to be made without crowd funding, but that this would have taken several years before the project would have even gotten started.  It wasn't already being made, and Sony is not funding the project(they are putting money into the PS4 release and marketing thereof, but that's not the same thing as development money).  There is some outside funding, the extent of which is unknown, but it was made very clear that Shenmue wasn't getting made without crowd funding, and that the amount of crowdfunding would determine the scope of what could be achieved.  Pretty much the same as with Bloodstained, only with worse PR.

And Shenmue did not do a "second Kickstarter."  They opened Paypal a Backer Kit, something practically every major successful video game Kickstarter has done.  Bloodstained has one open right now.  Pillars of Eternity had one(though it wasn't called a backer kit) for most of its development.  Most visual novel Kickstarters have done it.  Muv-Luv will as well.  It's a normal part of the crowd funding cycle, usually focused on squeezing out a few more stretch goals and providing a way to contribute for people who won't or can't go through Kickstarter directly.  

I'd actually give him the benefit of the doubt in this case, as misinformation about Shenmue 3 is pretty widespread.  I've seen threads where the predominant opinion is that Shenmue is proof that crowd funding is heading toward a collapse, pretty much entirely based on spurious information spread by websites whose writers couldn't find the word "fact" or "checking" in a dictionary at gunpoint.

I'd actually give him the benefit of the doubt in this case, as misinformation about Shenmue 3 is pretty widespread.  I've seen threads where the predominant opinion is that Shenmue is proof that crowd funding is heading toward a collapse, pretty much entirely based on spurious information spread by websites whose writers couldn't find the word "fact" or "checking" in a dictionary at gunpoint.

Well, with what happen with Red Ash doesn't really invoke confidence that there wasn't some kind of deal going on in the background.  Totally different company and game but just an example.  Who would've thought even a year ago that a KS would be announce during Sony E3 conference.  The bad PR effort trying to explain thing doesn't help either.

But getting off topic here....   Almost 450k.  At this pace we might hit 600k by the end especially with them adding more Takemikazuchi models.

New update for the Kickstarter.  Most interesting bit:

Unlimited 【Tactical Surface Fighter - Takemikazuchi】 
260 more 【Superior Collection Type-C】

We’ve also got an update on Yuuko’s gift bag contents. One of the additional rewards is going to be a special sticker pack. We’ll have sample images for this available soon. We’re also hoping to add 1-2 more items (likely beta themed and small).

If you compare the Muv Luv and Clannad kickstarters, at this point in their respective campaigns they both had roughly the same number of backers, it's just Muv Luv's backers have pledged so much more dough per person. And this has resulted in Muv Luv's total being roughly double that of Clannad's at around day 4.

I didn't follow Clannad's Kickstarter, but apparently this is largely due to it not having anything worth pledging for in the mid to upper tiers.  Muv-Luv's campaign seems to be better planned out.

At the rate things are going, I'm actually fairly optimistic about hitting that last stretch goal.

Hey, it's working for them. I wouldn't be surprised if some super casual campaign title like that actually works better than some serious and clinical one. 

Also I tried to memify that phrase, Down, but nobody even noticed it when I snuck it in a few times into the last VNTS. :(

Honestly, I would have if it were the Alfred Walken one from Alternative instead of the EMD Phase 2 from Total Eclipse.  I can drive 15 minutes over to Manga Souko and pick up a Take for around 5000 yen.  I haven't seen a Raptor there, so I'd have to mail order that one.

I'm guessing Kotobukiya doesn't want to take away from their own sales since the Walken one just came out this year.