H1Z1 Devs Make Cheaters Apologize Publicly On Youtube

Nosebleed

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-h1z1-hackers-publicly-apologise-for-cheating/1100-6427500/

Quote from the Dev's twitter:

"Dear Cheaters who got banned. Many of you are emailing me, apologizing and admitting it. Thank you. However.. You're doing it wrong. If you want us to even consider your apology a public YouTube apology is necessary. No personal information please. Email me the link and I will tweet it."

I'm kind of flabbergasted at this (for lack of a better term), I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I mean, I agree hackers and cheaters should be punished, but I don't know if public "shaming" is the best, though I guess if they really want to play the game seriously an apology doesn't hurt.

Do you agree with what the devs did here?

It's certainly bizare, I mean in ancient Europe it made sense because the trust of your community was important for day-to-day life. But, in the age of internet anonymity? There really isn't much of a point.

i don't agree, i call this thing "public assassination" you pretty much ruin the life of that guy, if he gets recognized IRL, he probably will get beaten up by some guys.

While I agree to making them apologize, I can't say I agree with a public apology. I mean they all clearly realized what they were doing was wrong. In my book that's a good enough apology, but unfortunately, not everyone thinks like that. There's no need to let everybody know of what they did. I feel that Daybreak is partially in the wrong here.

Guys, i saw one of the videos, and all the comments were like "this scumbag deserves to die" "go make his life the worst possible IG" "you should die"...etc

Sorry, ut that's what i saw. 

I see those comments in every youtube video to be fair. Because the internet is sunshine and rainbows!

I agree with the fact that public apologies are probably not the best way to go about it, the devs also sounded kind of scornful like they typed those tweets while laughing in their seats, but I doubt people will actually take this to the real world, it'll probably just result in people being hated online, and probably not for a very long time, which is still not ultimately good, I think they could have gone about it differently without putting people's faces out there, but I doubt someone will actually go out of their way to find you in real life and beat you up because you cheated in a mediocre game. Then again I've seen weirder stuff happen, so I guess you never know...

they don't because they know exactly what they're doing

And that's exactly why they deserve a second chance. Of course, you don't go murder 5 people for no reason and say: "Can I get a second chance?" They clearly had a reason even though it dosen't justify their actions. They were fed up with being killed by hackers and wanted to even the playing field, but in the process they killed other people and ruined their experience.

And that's exactly why they deserve a second chance. Of course, you don't go murder 5 people for no reason and say: "Can I get a second chance?" They clearly had a reason even though it dosen't justify their actions. They were fed up with being killed by hackers and wanted to even the playing field, but in the process they killed other people and ruined their experience.

you can't compare cheating to murder but i get your point

the most of them start cheating just for fun

and people like that need to play by the rules even if you have to force them 

Hah, this truly shows how low people can and will go.  For the people that hacked and got caught, to me, its an "oh well" situation.  But for the people that publicly apologize for it afterwards, you truly are shameless.  Take what you did and be proud that you screwed someone else over, isn't that why you did it in the first place?  These types of games devolve in to killing sprees, so the only real purpose for hacking is to screw someone else for your own enjoyment.  Apologizing for that is just shameless.

On the other side of the argument that I haven't seen people say anything about, at least the devs are giving people a chance to play the game again when they otherwise would have had that account banned permanently.  It's just at the cost of your own, whats the word, honor, prestige, respect, pride?

Hah, this truly shows how low people can and will go.  For the people that hacked and got caught, to me, its an "oh well" situation.  But for the people that publicly apologize for it afterwards, you truly are shameless.  Take what you did and be proud that you screwed someone else over, isn't that why you did it in the first place?  These types of games devolve in to killing sprees, so the only real purpose for hacking is to screw someone else for your own enjoyment.  Apologizing for that is just shameless.

On the other side of the argument that I haven't seen people say anything about, at least the devs are giving people a chance to play the game again when they otherwise would have had that account banned permanently.  It's just at the cost of your own, whats the word, honor, prestige, respect, pride?

Emotions can make people do silly things, I can easily imagine someone cheating in the spur of the moment without thinking clearly about it, maybe because he had people do it to them a lot and they just don't want to deal with it.

Sometimes it's not just because they want to boast about it and they understand afterwards that they did something bad, it happens.

Since you can't really evaluate motives most of the time you have to give all cheaters the same punishment/opportunities.

I think the problem here isn't them putting their pride on the line, I think that never hurt anybody and if they're serious about the game they will do it, it's mostly about the fact that doing this on the internet and putting your face behind it basically turns you into a target for hate more than it needs to.

You cheated in a game, ruined the fun for a couple people for a while, get banned and after putting a video of yourself on youtube because the devs wouldn't let you back otherwise you've pretty much ruined your internet/game life for a while (if not forever) and most people will shun you and hate you, even if most of them weren't directly involved in any way and you show deep regret and explain it was a spur of the moment kind of thing, they'll still jump on the bandwagon and hate you, and that's kind of the biggest downside to this method, an unproportional punishment that places a huge toll on the person that's trying to get back in the game fair and square. 

Guys, i saw one of the videos, and all the comments were like "this scumbag deserves to die" "go make his life the worst possible IG" "you should die"...etc

Sorry, ut that's what i saw.

You expect people on YouTube, moreover the Internet, to not leave comments like that? You're thinking too highly of them.

Alright so it might seem right to shame these people at first. But really what kind of people would really do these vids? You either have to be wacky, or have no sense of self preservation.

Okay, I found this hilarious at first, after a few minutes I find it just sad after looking at the vids. These people will cheat on a game, they all have their reasons. One vid apology guy said, I get killed by cheaters all the time. So I decided to cheat myself as well. I find this reasoning ofc hilarious. But when they will go as far as to do a vid for getting a unban. Wtf!? I can't think otherwise than these people have problems.

So I think this is completely wrong thing to do by the devs.

"Hey! It's that cheater from that zombie game we play?"

"Killing Floor 2"

Killing floor 2 doesn't have zombies. It's clones! Highly important difference. Brah.

they don't because they know exactly what they're doing

Edit: they should buy a second copy if they really want to "play"

but most of the time they just start cheating again

who are you to say things like that? so in your mind, a man can never change?

So, we should kill every criminal, what an american way of thinking. 

Emotions can make people do silly things, I can easily imagine someone cheating in the spur of the moment without thinking clearly about it, maybe because he had people do it to them a lot and they just don't want to deal with it.

Sometimes it's not just because they want to boast about it and they understand afterwards that they did something bad, it happens.

Since you can't really evaluate motives most of the time you have to give all cheaters the same punishment/opportunities.

I think the problem here isn't them putting their pride on the line, I think that never hurt anybody and if they're serious about the game they will do it, it's mostly about the fact that doing this on the internet and putting your face behind it basically turns you into a target for hate more than it needs to.

You cheated in a game, ruined the fun for a couple people for a while, get banned and after putting a video of yourself on youtube because the devs wouldn't let you back otherwise you've pretty much ruined your internet/game life for a while (if not forever) and most people will shun you and hate you, even if most of them weren't directly involved in any way and you show deep regret and explain it was a spur of the moment kind of thing, they'll still jump on the bandwagon and hate you, and that's kind of the biggest downside to this method, an unproportional punishment that places a huge toll on the person that's trying to get back in the game fair and square. 

I guess I'm just one of the people who just doesn't care what people think of me.  After playing online games for my entire life (past 14 years), and even substituted my entire social life for an online one because I just didn't fit in at school, the way I see things might be different.  I can tell you that anyone who hacks or cheats isn't installed in any kind of community in the game that they are playing, or really doesn't care too much about it.  Either way, these people aren't known at all other than when they do something incredibly outrageous. People don't hack a game out of spite, its a planned thing, not something done out of emotion.  These things aren't something entirely user friendly, and they aren't something you can set up in about 20 minutes unless you know what you are doing.

All the excuses in my opinion are unjustified, and completely unreasonable.

I think this is just taking I think it was Runescape's "wall of shame" to the next level.  They would release the names of all the banned accounts that week.  This is just the next step of making a public apology and adding a face to the account that did it.

That's just plain stupid and cruel, why would they even recommend to do this shit?You don't want to unbann them, perfectly fine but dont send them to show their faces on youtube, internet is fucked up you should never do this no matter what. don't mix real life with a stupid game.

btw H1Z1 sucks really bad, it's not even worth it :P

Quotes from gamespot

Thanatos2k

4 hours ago

You'd sell your dignity for a terrible early access zombie survival game?

That's just plain stupid and cruel, why would they even recommend to do this shit?You don't want to unbann them, perfectly fine but dont send them to show their faces on youtube, internet is fucked up you should never do this no matter what. don't mix real life with a stupid game.

btw H1Z1 sucks really bad, it's not even worth it :P