VN Reading Club - May 2015 (Coμ -Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku-)

Kosakyun

I can't say much without giving something away, but really, if you skip her bad end, you're doing yourself a disservice.  There's only one, and it's Hisoka's, and it's quite good.

Well...after checking the walkthrough, apparently you have to get her bad end before you can get her good end.  Herp derp.  Completely forgot about that.  Still, don't skip through it; like I said, it's better than her good end.

Seeing as how everyone has been talking about how much they love Kogame, I'm gonna take this moment to do what I do best; ruin everybody's fun.

Before I begin I should point out that I've finished Comyu before and prior to replaying it I had just finished Momoyo's route in Majikoi (I liked Momoyo more than Kagome) so this may explain what I'm getting at.

The problem I have with Kagome is how boring her reaction to everything is. Whenever someone asks her something or there's something big happening she has the exact same response. The individual moments are fine and her dialogue is fun (in short burst) but as a whole there is a huge lack of diversity in her responses. Take Izawa for example, he's the angry loner of the group but he responds with shock, indifference, Kratos-like fury and even a little compassion in some scenes. What's more is we see how the scenes affect his mood when he gradually gets more and more pissed off. Kogame on the other hand always responds with the same level of indifference and scorn so I've actually come to somewhat loath her on-screen moments.

Just to clarify I still like her, I just find her really annoying.

Kagome is an incredible character, an oasis in the desert because she doesn't fall in many stereotypes like, easily, four out of five female characters in every VN/anime and moreover the writer is good enough to give us a smart character, aside from R07's stories I had a very hard time to feel if a character was astute or not (Maou, for instance, is depicted as a manipulative and extremely cunning character, even if he is well used, we don't really feel that smartness anywhere, he looked more like a psycho than anything). With Kagome (and Gasai)), that's not the case, she's depicted as intelligent and she is because we see it, her every line are pure delight, she has an eloquent rhetoric, a way of speaking and ideals that makes her a wonderful character (kinda surprising that I can feel that in the translation that is supposed to be bad, oh well...), I can hardly find any other character as refreshing and meaningful as Kagome, how is she boring ? She does more than just mocking Akihito, she gives him a lot of advices outside of her route, provides an emotional support and the situations she creates are quite entertaining.

Kagome is an incredible character, an oasis in the desert because she doesn't fall in many stereotypes like, easily, four out of five female characters in every VN/anime and moreover the writer is good enough to give us a smart character, aside from R07's stories I had a very hard time to feel if a character was astute or not (Maou, for instance, is depicted as a manipulative and extremely cunning character, even if he is well used, we don't really feel that smartness anywhere, he looked more like a psycho than anything). With Kagome (and Gasai)), that's not the case, she's depicted as intelligent and she is because we see it, her every line are pure delight, she has an eloquent rhetoric, a way of speaking and ideals that makes her a wonderful character (kinda surprising that I can feel that in the translation that is supposed to be bad, oh well...), I can hardly find any other character as refreshing and meaningful as Kagome, how is she boring ? She does more than just mocking Akihito, she gives him a lot of advices outside of her route, provides an emotional support and the situations she creates are quite entertaining.

Well some people might find Kagome boring for some reasons (like how she doesn't show much emotions) and I do agree that she's a cut from the rest of the cast as a character. I for one do agree that she is indeed intelligent (her insight throughout the VN is amazing) but it's not exactly given much focus since the story doesn't really focus that much on the battle of brains. Some people might find her annoying due to her verbal abuse to the MC. While it's comedic in its own right, there are people that find it annoying, sometimes even offensive (you will be one of these people after playing Ikikoi). Plus her first impression is a queen that WILL throw insults at the MC anytime, anywhere. Well at least to me.

TL;DR: I agree that Kagome is indeed one good character but not everyone can appreciate her in the same way/degree as us.

Edit: I finished the game some time ago and I don't really remember that vividly so my impressions might be off now.

Whilst I agree that it's good she didn't conform to a typical stereotype that doesn't stop her from being a relatively one-note character.

The problem I had was that her delivery was always the same. She addressed every situation and character with the same level of egotistical sadism to the point where I could more or less accurately predict what she was going to say next. If she wasn't so, for lack of a better term, "perfect" she could've had more variety in her dialogue and character. 

But like I said earlier, the individual scenes are fine but when you look at the bigger picture you see that it's all the same. 

Whilst I agree that it's good she didn't conform to a typical stereotype that doesn't stop her from being a relatively one-note character.

The problem I had was that her delivery was always the same. She addressed every situation and character with the same level of egotistical sadism to the point where I could more or less accurately predict what she was going to say next. If she wasn't so, for lack of a better term, "perfect" she could've had more variety in her dialogue and character. 

But like I said earlier, the individual scenes are fine but when you look at the bigger picture you see that it's all the same. 

That 'one-note character' is too true to deny, for the most part.

I won't deny that she's pretty monotonous due to her perfectness and lack of variety but 

her character is quite something when you do her route and all the revealing of her being the sole Comyu member of Sting so her perfectness is pretty much reasoned out. If she wasn't so perfect, she would've been mad from the point her other Comyu members died. You know, with being able to endure the most powerful Avatar alone.

Maybe pretty boring as an individual due to her lack of variety in her but not as a participant in the story.

That 'one-note character' is too true to deny, for the most part.

I won't deny that she's pretty monotonous due to her perfectness and lack of variety but 

her character is quite something when you do her route and all the revealing of her being the sole Comyu member of Sting so her perfectness is pretty much reasoned out. If she wasn't so perfect, she would've been mad from the point her other Comyu members died. You know, with being able to endure the most powerful Avatar alone.

Maybe pretty boring as an individual due to her lack of variety in her but not as a participant in the story.

She is a lot better in her route but in every other route (including the common route) she has no development.

She is a lot better in her route but in every other route (including the common route) she has no development.

Well you can't really expect much development of a character in the common route since most common routes are mostly used as a buildup/introduction.  And expecting a development of a character in a route (which is not the heroine's route) since it might overshadow the heroine's route. Well there are exceptions if the said character has some sort of connection with the heroine's route.

This is merely a conjecture based on most VNs since I can't remember everything vividly about Comyu but I do remember that Comyu's story structure is slightly different from most of the ones I've read.

That said, I can't remember much about significant development of the other characters in the common route except them accepting the reality of their situations. While I'm at it there's a character even less-developed that Kagome, namely Haru. Well she doesn't exactly have a route so it's understandable.

In my opinion....

Mayu-mayu always the best girl ..... well .... guess some of you already know....

about Kagome ...

best comrade or best partner-in-crime ....

well "best friend" also can but somehow

Kururi already won in best friend :P

Well,

Kagome route is the best in comyu :D

Seems like there's a lot of fans for Mayu-mayu. Well I also like her cuz she's a loli cute.

Can't say her route is my favorite tho.

I saw it as a huge side story but I didn't hate it. It was a fun ride.

Well my vote for best girl would be Benio. Idk why but I like heroines with a strong sense of justice/responsibility. Maybe because I see something in them that I don't have?

Kagome's route being the last, they really prepared it to be one epic story and conclusion to boot. So yeah for the fave route it would be Kagome. The enforced playing order did the part for the reader to piece together the different stories and connect them as buildup for the final ride. Well, it mostly depends on the reader tho for it to become a buildup since you can't really piece stuff together if you played the routes far apart since you forget some details or maybe you somehow didn't pick up the clues.

And heck I remember Ayaya's route. The whole route was a joke and I had some laughs. It was a good break from the intense routes before and after it. The villains weren't even a threat and the whole route was nothing but relaxations and giggles.

Well you can't really expect much development of a character in the common route since most common routes are mostly used as a buildup/introduction.  And expecting a development of a character in a route (which is not the heroine's route) since it might overshadow the heroine's route. Well there are exceptions if the said character has some sort of connection with the heroine's route.

This is merely a conjecture based on most VNs since I can't remember everything vividly about Comyu but I do remember that Comyu's story structure is slightly different from most of the ones I've read.

That said, I can't remember much about significant development of the other characters in the common route except them accepting the reality of their situations. While I'm at it there's a character even less-developed that Kagome, namely Haru. Well she doesn't exactly have a route so it's understandable.

When I say development I was more referring to her interactions with the other character and her attitude to the whole situation and how it never changed at all (particularly in the common route).

I actually found Haru much more interesting than Kagome, she was pretty funny and quite misleading at times (she comes across as a bit of a dimwit but in reality is perhaps the smartest person in the Comyu).

When I say development I was more referring to her interactions with the other character and her attitude to the whole situation and how it never changed at all (particularly in the common route).

I actually found Haru much more interesting than Kagome, she was pretty funny and quite misleading at times (she comes across as a bit of a dimwit but in reality is perhaps the smartest person in the Comyu).

Oh so you mean that kind of development. Sorry kinda misunderstood that one but 

correct me if I'm wrong but I do remember something like Benio getting

closer to Kagome in her (Benio's) route. I don't remember much in the other routes but living together will affect your relationship one way or another.I do somewhat remember that Kagome's and Benio's relationship improved, even if it's just subtle. Heck the final CG of Benio has Kagome in it, I think.

Yeah Haru is quite interesting with her antics. Rather than smart I'd rather say that she's cunning. She always kept a distance between herself and the Comyu. 

She always said that everything she does is for herself but that changed despite the MC always saying that they are 'strangers that were forced together with their lives tied'. It was always hinted that they were more than strangers, but less than friends. Heck in the end they risked their lives together with an excuse that they will also die if the others screwed up but you know that's just an excuse. *cough*Izawa*cough*

Oh so you mean that kind of development. Sorry kinda misunderstood that one but 

correct me if I'm wrong but I do remember something like Benio getting

closer to Kagome in her (Benio's) route. I don't remember much in the other routes but living together will affect your relationship one way or another.I do somewhat remember that Kagome's and Benio's relationship improved, even if it's just subtle. Heck the final CG of Benio has Kagome in it, I think.

Yeah Haru is quite interesting with her antics. Rather than smart I'd rather say that she's cunning. She always kept a distance between herself and the Comyu. 

She always said that everything she does is for herself but that changed despite the MC always saying that they are 'strangers that were forced together with their lives tied'. It was always hinted that they were more than strangers, but less than friends. Heck in the end they risked their lives together with an excuse that they will also die if the others screwed up but you know that's just an excuse. *cough*Izawa*cough*

I can't comment on Benio's route, it's been too long since I played that one so I'll just take your word for it.

All seriousness left your post when you used the word "cunning".

AjFnh2h.png

I can't comment on Benio's route, it's been too long since I played that one so I'll just take your word for it.

All seriousness left your post when you used the word "cunning".

AjFnh2h.png

Okay this is the first time I saw this pic so I can't say this came to mind when I was typing that up.

might not use the word cunning again for serious discussions. Neveerrrrr!!

I-I-I luv u, Hisoka.

In my opinion....

Mayu-mayu always the best girl .

I thought I would be put off Mayuki's route but found it surprisingly nice. 

And yeah, Hisoka's route rated high for me also. 

Going in order I would rate from best to worst

Mayuki(Her route is really adorable), Kagaome/Hisoka, Benio/Ayaya

Plus I loved the whole pessimism towards life that the MC has; it seems extremely realistic to me, the MC has realistic values towards life which he knows are true but still tries to deny. 

This is a gentle kingdom, it is gentle to all. He realises that happiness is rare in the world, that death, sadness, etc are common.

Damn, this makes me want to go and reread it again. But I've got to finish Ayakashibito and Sharin no Kunin. Not to mention tsukihime

There's so much love for Mayu-mayu and not enough love for Benio. I don't hate Mayu-mayu because she's a loli adorable but doesn't anyone else love those allies of justice? I find it both cute and admirable tbh

Mayu-mayu: adjustable glasses transparency/10

Benio: flat justice/10

There's so much love for Mayu-mayu and not enough love for Benio. I don't hate Mayu-mayu because she's a loli adorable but doesn't anyone else love those allies of justice? I find it both cute and admirable tbh

Mayu-mayu: adjustable glasses transparency/10

Benio: flat justice/10

Mayu Mayu, that double life. 

Who knew or had suspicions from the moment they saw the idol in the common route that it suspiciously looked like Mayu Mayu.

Plus that running gag of her trolling Ahkito as a lolicon which becomes true in the end lol, not to mention all the lies she tells. 

I feel like you guys finished most of your discussions when I finally started reading it .... well .... I hate my life QQ

Don't worry, you're not (completely) alone. I haven't even finished the 2nd route yet.

Well this is a kind of VN where you'll have a drive to continue once you get in the hype train. Seriously, once it gets good, it's hard to stop reading. You have to actually like and enjoy the story first tho so if you have some hate among the characters/story (but you CAN'T hate Mayu-mayu), it might be a different case. I myself finished this where I cut my sleep by a couple of hours just to read it. So yeah my 6 hours sleep went to 4 hours but I don't regret it huehue

Well this is a kind of VN where you'll have a drive to continue once you get in the hype train. Seriously, once it gets good, it's hard to stop reading. You have to actually like and enjoy the story first tho so if you have some hate among the characters/story (but you CAN'T hate Mayu-mayu), it might be a different case. I myself finished this where I cut my sleep by a couple of hours just to read it. So yeah my 6 hours sleep went to 4 hours but I don't regret it huehue

I legitimately finished the VN in 5 days.

For Kagaome's route I basically did an all nighter. 

Only time I've been so engrossed in a VN since the first time I played one.

But then I haven't finished that many

I legitimately finished the VN in 5 days.

For Kagaome's route I basically did an all nighter. 

Only time I've been so engrossed in a VN since the first time I played one.

But then I haven't finished that many

Yeah Kagome's route was a real page-turner(mouse-clicker?) so I also finished here route on 2 sessions.

It was supposed to be 3 sessions but during the part where Kagome had to re-kill all the avatars ever killed by Sting and Hisoka arrived, I changed my mind. Screw sleeping, I want to read. I didn't even sleep for classes the next day and slept through some of my classes.