VN Reading Club - May 2015 (Coμ -Kuroi Ryuu to Yasashii Oukoku-)

Kosakyun

Why do I feel like this will turn into waifu wars third edition sooner or later?._.

Benio already won.

Anyway, almost finished with the second route.

I was expecting Mayuki route. Holy shit, Hisoka route. I didn't see that coming. You only saw her, like, once in the common route. At least, once after you finish your first playthrough. I really did not see that coming. Until boom, Hisoka H-scene. That's when it hit me. Or at least, when Akihito kept thinking about Hisoka-chan.

About the two routes so far...

I don't know man. The avatar gigs are nice and all, but c'mon. Where's my Caesar vs. Round Table? I rather liked that in Benio's route. Though one can argue that there are a lot more action scenes in the second route. Avatar gigs are exciting, yeah. I was rather curious about Rondo's avatar as well. Good thing they had a battle. Anyway, I want to see more of Itsuki. C'mon man. Give me my king and clown.

As for Benio's justice, I like it.

Fun fact, I discussed Comyu with tons of people and never before this thread I found anyone who remotely liked Benio.

There's always a first time for everything.

I don't think she'd be a main heroine if she was completely detestable as a character, I think she can be cute and her sense of justice is just part of her quirks. If you ask me it's better than Akihito's feminism.

Well, the game is all about Kagome's route, really. Even though I dislike her. 

This.  Kagome's route is pretty much the end-all in terms of epicness and quality in Comyu.  I rather liked Kagome, though, simply because she didn't fit many of the stereotypes that are so common in VNs.  She's rude, anti-social, and acts pretty much a psychopath.  She's incredibly selfish except when it involves Akihito, and even then she still insults him at every turn.  As I rather disliked Akihito's personality, I found Kagome to be rather refreshing.  Of course, I would have immensely disliked her if she was a real person.

I have to say, I both identify with and hate Benio.  I have a similar sense of justice, but her's is a really extreme version of mine, and I can't really like her as a person because, just like Shirou, she lets her ideals endanger people.  Doing the right thing is good, but ugh, there are some times when that's just not possible because either the outcome will not be good for everyone around you, or there is literally no "right" option.  Trying to live in a world of black and white in today's society is almost impossible except for a few cases where things are obviously right and wrong.  I started hating her in her own route, but she was a lot more tolerable in the others' routes, simply because she wasn't the main focus.

This.  Kagome's route is pretty much the end-all in terms of epicness and quality in Comyu.  I rather liked Kagome, though, simply because she didn't fit many of the stereotypes that are so common in VNs.  She's rude, anti-social, and acts pretty much a psychopath.  She's incredibly selfish except when it involves Akihito, and even then she still insults him at every turn.  As I rather disliked Akihito's personality, I found Kagome to be rather refreshing.  Of course, I would have immensely disliked her if she was a real person.

I have to say, I both identify with and hate Benio.  I have a similar sense of justice, but her's is a really extreme version of mine, and I can't really like her as a person because, just like Shirou, she lets her ideals endanger people.  Doing the right thing is good, but ugh, there are some times when that's just not possible because either the outcome will not be good for everyone around you, or there is literally no "right" option.  Trying to live in a world of black and white in today's society is almost impossible except for a few cases where things are obviously right and wrong.  I started hating her in her own route, but she was a lot more tolerable in the others' routes, simply because she wasn't the main focus.

I don't believe in right and wrong to begin with (well, I guess I do, in math and other exact sciences), so you can imagine how incredibly frustrating it was to listen to Benio's justice. 

There's always a first time for everything.

I don't think she'd be a main heroine if she was completely detestable as a character, I think she can be cute and her sense of justice is just part of her quirks. If you ask me it's better than Akihito's feminism.

Is that so? I think Benio's justice is much, much more annoying than Akihito's "feminism". Probably because I've had several debates with people who believed in things similar to Benio and just seeing her face reminds me of many ridiculously irritating situations.  

My thoughts on Benio is that she's fascinatingly normal.

By that I mean she's actually kind of a rare species of heroine, you normally don't see such childish morals and dreams about being an ally of justice. She understands a lot of wrongdoings going around and that the world is unfair and whatnot, but she still wants to side with justice. That type of childish naivety isn't so bad in my opinion.

I just feel like out of the bunch, she's the most normal, yet at the same time the most interesting in her own normal ways.

Still haven't finished my first playthrough but I've gotten quite hooked on the story. I have to say this surpassed my expectations.

My thoughts on Benio is that she's fascinatingly normal.

By that I mean she's actually kind of a rare species of heroine, you normally don't see such childish morals and dreams about being an ally of justice. She understands a lot of wrongdoings going around and that the world is unfair and whatnot, but she still wants to side with justice. That type of childish naivety isn't so bad in my opinion.

I just feel like out of the bunch, she's the most normal, yet at the same time the most interesting in her own normal ways.

Doesn't that make her abnormal, then?  :wahaha:

I don't believe in right and wrong to begin with (well, I guess I do, in math and other exact sciences), so you can imagine how incredibly frustrating it was to listen to Benio's justice. 

I was mostly thinking of things that are commonly thought of as crimes against humanity and offenses that put people in jail for life.  People's views of wrong are usually pretty much the same (at least if you ignore the people that have no views on right and wrong), at least that I've seen, it's their views on what's right that are the ones that vary.  For example, I was raised to think that I should help people whenever I can (Boy Scouts ^_^ ), and I think it's right to do so, yet I know some people would view it as a waste of time and effort because it doesn't benefit them in any way.

But yeah, if she was annoying to me, I'm sure that she was incredibly irritating for you.

Doesn't that make her abnormal, then?  :wahaha:

Hmm, it makes her an interesting contrast with everyone else, I guess? :P

I just liked her normalness amidst the chaos.

Also, I really love Benio's voice. I usually don't ever go crazy over something so shallow, but I really do like Benio's voice more than anybody else and listening to her was never once a pain. I guess she just hit all the sweet spots for me.

I still do like the other heroines, especially Kagome, but Benio just got me.

Hmm, it makes her an interesting contrast with everyone else, I guess? :P

I just liked her normalness amidst the chaos.

Also, I really love Benio's voice. I usually don't ever go crazy over something so shallow, but I really do like Benio's voice more than anybody else and listening to her was never once a pain. I guess she just hit all the sweet spots for me.

I still do like the other heroines, especially Kagome, but Benio just got me.

Huh. Can't say her voice acting was particularly memorable for me. 

I'm generally not picky with voice acting to begin with... I think I can recognize great instances of it, though (kind of. From tld VNs the first memorable one to me was Igarasu in Hanachirasu. That voice is just way too perfect for that character).

I'm not saying it's epic voice acting or anything, I just think it sounds nice and is pleasant to listen to overall, at least in my ears.

I often find myself annoyed by VN's character voices for one reason or another, but Benio's sounds natural enough to make me comfortable.

Other than my personal favorites from Comyu, I didn't have too much of an issue with any of the characters. Akihito's "feminism" was a bit annoying at times,but that didn't really make me hate him. And I did like a bunch of the characters a bit more on Kagome's route.

Even though I don't hate him either, I was hoping he'd have beaten up Shuu a bit more in Kagome's route. 

Other than my personal favorites from Comyu, I didn't have too much of an issue with any of the characters. Akihito's "feminism" was a bit annoying at times,but that didn't really make me hate him. And I did like a bunch of the characters a bit more on Kagome's route.

Even though I don't hate him either, I was hoping he'd have beaten up Shuu a bit more in Kagome's route. 

Izawa is love, Izawa is life. 

Izawa is kawaii as fuck dressed as a maid, too.

Sure, he's a massive jerk, but I still found him to be rather likable.  He's like a chihuahua that thinks he's a Great Dane  <3

More than just his "feminism" made me strongly dislike Akihito. 

He's a hypocrite, realizes that he's a hypocrite, yet makes no attempt to stop being a hypocrite.  That was what really pissed me off about him.  He doesn't really have much character development, if I remember correctly, which is rather irritating, since he starts out acting rather annoying.  Have to admit, he's a lot more palatable in Kagome's route, though.

Izawa is love, Izawa is life. 

Izawa is kawaii as fuck dressed as a maid, too.

Sure, he's a massive jerk, but I still found him to be rather likable.  He's like a chihuahua that thinks he's a Great Dane  <3

I felt really conflicted when I saw him in the maid outfit.

I think the jerk part of him is what made me want to see my previous mentioning,but yeah I don't have any reason to hate him... I think .

More than just his "feminism" made me strongly dislike Akihito. 

He's a hypocrite, realizes that he's a hypocrite, yet makes no attempt to stop being a hypocrite.  That was what really pissed me off about him.  He doesn't really have much character development, if I remember correctly, which is rather irritating, since he starts out acting rather annoying.  Have to admit, he's a lot more palatable in Kagome's route, though.

That's pretty sound.

I might share the opinion if I was more discerning  about protagonist.

I think there may have been one or two protagonist from anything that I didn't like,which was more from their attitude than the character development or ongoing bad traits. 

If I'm being honest though, I did like Benio a little less than the other heroines. I didn't entirely hate her "justice" but at times it did get me a bit annoyed.

Finished second heroine's route.

What the heck happened in that second ending? I don't understand. It's like, boom. Everyone's forced to accept that ending where Hisoka survived the incident, even though it's such a large anomaly regarding stampedes in the Comyunet. Also, did Akihito only get stabbed in the left hand? Well, as vague things might've been left, the fact that the events in the route were good gives me joy to no end. The only thing I disliked in the route was what happened to Iroha and Rondo. I guess desperation leads to that.

The first few moments of the third heroine's route is gold. Gold. I haven't laughed that loud in a while.

Mayuki is gold, I tell you. Gold. Also, pretty obvious that she was Yuuna, from the first time I saw her on TV. Well, they do say that things are less likely to be surprising if you already expected it. Though she's really cute. I'm enjoying her route.

About Benio, the thing I liked about her is that she still believes in true justice, even though the world around her says otherwise. I generally like people who stick to their beliefs until the end. Of course, she needs to adjust those beliefs in relation to others that would be pulled into her mess if she did mess up. But I love her for believing in her childish ideals until the end. Like Akihito said, she's a child of the sun. Too bright to look at, at most times. Also, I really like her voice and how she's very much conscious about her chest. Reminds me of all my friends who're flat. I tease them all the time. She's really normal too.

Am now more into Benio's route, right after her first H-scene (Can you really call it an h-scene considering how it ended? I guess it was realistic though).

It was kind of hard to see where the common route ended and the heroine's route began since the entire plot just kept moving forward (which is actually a really good thing to do).

I still don't know what to think about the overarching plot though, I'm assuming since this isn't the true route there won't be a conclusive ending.

I'm very curious about Girl A more than anything in the setting to be honest, I sure hope the game explains what's up with her.

I'm enjoying all the moments with Benio though, I really think she's just an innocent normal girl and that contrast in this setting is just fun to experience. I don't really feel like her sense of justice comes off as annoying or is that prevalent, she really doesn't bring it up often, although she does act according to it most of the time, but it's not really ruining everyone's lives or something, she's just fighting for what she believes in.

As for moments outside of the Comyu related affairs, I think Benio is ungodly cute, she's too pure for her own good and it's kind of fun seeing her getting teased.

Meanwhile Akihito's feminism still grinds my gears. I really don't get how he managed to make such weird double standards in his moral views. He also lacks delicacy a lot of the time even with girls which kind of contradicts his views. I really don't know...

Also why doesn't Kururi get a route!?

Or more to the point, why don't all those intriguing side characters don't get routes!?

I'm very curious about Girl A more than anything in the setting to be honest, I sure hope the game explains what's up with her.

>in third route

>hasn't heard anything about Girl A since then

rip

Though there was a brief mention in the start of the third route.

I still don't know what to think about the overarching plot though, I'm assuming since this isn't the true route there won't be a conclusive ending.

I quite liked the ending. Nothing conclusive about the state of affairs, sure, but it was pretty nice.

I didn't find Benio that annoying during her route, it was more like I started to get tired of the justice jokes afterwards. I normally hate the "ally of justice" type of characters, but I found Benio kind of interesting.

Mostly because she's a characters that deep inside knows that her ideals are impossible, but can't still help but to believe in them, since she feels that the idea of justice is beautiful in itself. She didn't just naively believe in justice, she chose to believe in justice even though she knows it's naive. The difference isn't big but it makes Benio a better character. Or that's how I felt about it.

It also helps that Benio has the "normal girl" vibe that you don't see very often in VNs.

My hate for Kagome isn't as strong anymore, but I still can't really stand her. Something about her attitude rubs me the really wrong way, probably the possessiveness and overall abusive behavior. But other than that I'm really liking the characters and the story.