What makes Evangelion so great?

Dark Ariel7

*walks in*

I liked the last two episodes of Evangelion

*walks out*

*peeks head in one more time*

Oh, and hating on Shinji is way too mainstream.

I swear, sometimes I feel like the only person who doesn't despise Shinji.

I think that the plot or the end of evangelion aren't that good, but I loved the way that characters are displayed. Their behaviours are quite unfair or silly, but I find fascinating that they have always psychological reasons (chilhood trauma, feeling rejected...).

For example, I hated Asuka, but it was after a while when I realised that her personality is interesting, because it is the result of a devastating childhood and an inferiority complex and, in my opinion, that's the reason because she wants always to be the best and to seek the recognition of people.

Having said that, I believe that there are a lot of anime better than evangelion.

Now some people have mentioned that evangelion established some things and brought in new concepts to anime but what exactly did it do? The only things I got so far where the original tsundere and maybe cloning. What did Genesis do that was so new or out there?

I'm trying to write up a post about that, but yeah, Eva's influence on anime is (much) more than that.

I still don't get why being an influence automatically would make it good.

I've played influential games before but i've found other precedent game to be better, just like how i've seen influential anime but still find other things better and from all the extensive criticism i've read about Evangelion i have to say the whole show comes of as pretentious more than it comes off as deep and meaningful.

I'm not denying its influence, but i don't like thinking that influence automatically makes it amazing.

Hmm, I guess its called "the power of rumors". No matter it being a good or a bad one, its power just spread like wildfire and greatly influence many people. It's one of marketing strategy of a local candy brand I know. Despite its advertise is absurd and mocking the candy brand itself, it's arbsurdness and ridicoulousness make it a best selling brand.

I've played influential games before but i've found other precedent game to be better, just like how i've seen influential anime but still find other things better and from all the extensive criticism i've read about Evangelion i have to say the whole show comes of as pretentious more than it comes off as deep and meaningful.

I'm not denying its influence, but i don't like thinking that influence automatically makes it amazing.

I would say that Evangelion is one of the best anime (top 10) I've ever seen aside from those last two episodes. 

It was never dull (aside from the couple waiting scenes), the animation was good for it's time, the music is really, really good, the themes and concepts are interesting, and the characters, although not the most likable, are really well written. 

I love the first 24 episodes of Eva, just like I love the rebuild movies.  It's just that ending was not an O.K. thing to do.  

That's not what I was arguing for. I think Evangelion is both but not necessarily for the same reasons.

There are definitely influential series that are not incredible. The two other "Impact of Animation" series, Yamato and Gundam, are not outstanding, especially by today's standards.

Well he is a pussy but without him being that way the anime it wouldn't make any sense :P the plot makes sense because of him acting the way he does or it would be plain boring.

Same thing with takeru in muv luv, except that shinji is a pussy all the way to the very end xD

I seriously don't get the 'shinji is a pussy' """argument""". I must have missed the rule that says all protagonists must be manly and iron-willed.

For a 14 year old kid with parental issues and severe social anxiety, going through all the shit that happens to him in the series, I'd say he's faring pretty damn well.

My troll theory is that since one of the messages of Evangelion is to "tell otakus to open up to the world" (to simplify), people hate Shinji because they see themselves in him :illya: