Long VS Short

Okami

49 members have voted

1. 1. Witch is a better?

• Longer
    • Shorter

This poll is closed to new votes

The length of a game doesn't really matter to me, its the story that counts. Although I usually have to take breaks between routes on the longer ones so I don't die of boredom .

But in a black or white vote I would have to choose shorter games. Its mostly coincidental but the VNs that I have rated the highest are rather short (aside from Clannad)

In theory I prefer longer anime, manga, and VNs.. especially with regards to the former two. There's no fun if I can't binge on a single manga or anime until my vitals nearly give out ;D

As others have said, length doesn't matter to me.

It's the story and the character that counts.

The art sometimes.

But we have different expectations and experiences in different visual novels.

That's why I can't really decide in terms of length.

Kosaki best girl.

In my opinion longer is better if the following conditions are met (note that this is my personal conditions):

- Progress of the story, the story must move on. But I like it when it is longer because a short VN/anime can't grasp everything I want.

- Character development, mostly it is one or two characters that makes the whole game or show. But I really like when something happens in the background with the characters.

- Interesting plot, if it isn't interesting I can't watch it no matter how short or long it is. 

- Interesting setting/world, personal taste what I want is pretty big too. A great world where they develop it is the best. I hate these "empty shells" some VNs/animes possess.

Most of the time I think a short VN or anime can't meet my demands because of the length aspect. They could fulfill one or two of my criteria. But most of the time it isn't enough to keep me interested. It can be enjoyable but not something I am pleased with. But as stated before in this thread. I don't like the ranting and useless stuff implied in a lot of VNs/animes. Nobody is happy about that.

My personal favorites are all long VNs or longer animes. I got a few exceptions but in that case they are blowing my mind with something excellent.

Depends on the quality. Despite Grisaia's super long common route I was sad when it ended, would have loved for it to go on longer. But not all fluff can aspire to the dizzying heights of Grisaia fluff, so for many VN's being shorter would probably be for the best (Looking at you Hoshimemo).

It really depends... some I wanted to last longer, and some I wish it just got to the point without all the annoying fillers and fluff.  If the story is more plot-driven and suspenseful, it'd probably do a better job of keeping my interest long enough to finish.  When it's too long, I can easily get bored if it feels like things are being dragged out or going nowhere.  Especially when I have less time than I used to, I tend to prefer short-medium length now since I'm more likely to finish it.  Buut~ I like both, just depends on my mood and how much time I think I can spend.

IMO longer is clearly better. I´m good at dealing with huge works and I also don´t have a problem with (seemingly useless) fluff. Another thing is that I need quite a lot of time to create a relation to a character, so if the work was too short it´s possible that I´m just not able to care about a character because I don´t know him well enough. One sign of that is that I never had the feeling yet that a vn was too long after I finished it but I very well know my annoyance about rushing and similar stuff.

It doesn´t always need to have >50h content but if it is even lower than around 15h there is quite a Chance that I will have trouble to enjoy it. Exceptions are short little works that I read in between the big ones sometimes; they´re enjoyable but they rarely leave a big impact on me.

I think long visual novels have more capacity to be incredible, but short vns are much less of a 'risky investment' because they all tend to be pretty fun, from my experience. I spent a ton of time reading Katahane and I was not amused, but Tsukihime-which is amazing- could not have happened in half the time that it did. Meanwhile there are few short vns that I've been as unhappy with as Katahane, and even then I dont really hold on to any unhappiness because they were short enough for me to move on.

I think long visual novels have more capacity to be incredible, but short vns are much less of a 'risky investment' because they all tend to be pretty fun, from my experience. I spent a ton of time reading Katahane and I was not amused, but Tsukihime-which is amazing- could not have happened in half the time that it did. Meanwhile there are few short vns that I've been as unhappy with as Katahane, and even then I dont really hold on to any unhappiness because they were short enough for me to move on.

Damn. I think I just saw you as a middle-aged guy who had a lot of failed relationships.

Arakura the eternal bachelor.

I agree. But VNs which are short but amazing earn definite points from me. To be able to make something like that in the short time it was given... It's just beautiful.

Not that I prefer one from the other.

Quality over quantity. However I believe that longer visual novels have the potential for a better payoff in the long run. I can only think of a few short visual novels that came anywhere close to the impact that the longer ones left me. 

Rewrite is one of the longest VNs in existence. Rewrite is currently my favorite VN in existence. If the story is good and the ending is right, it doesn't matter how long it took.

With that being said, VNs like "Kamidori Alchemy Meister" (which take a minimum of 72 hours to complete) the story is good but the human brain will inevitably get bored before the routes even start.

Rewrite is one of the longest VNs in existence. Rewrite is currently my favorite VN in existence. If the story is good and the ending is right, it doesn't matter how long it took.

With that being said, VNs like "Kamidori Alchemy Meister" (which take a minimum of 72 hours to complete) the story is good but the human brain will inevitably get bored before the routes even start.

I didn't get bored.