Visual Novel's why DO YOU play/read them

FoggyOrchid

The age old question why do we play/read VNs more importantly why do you play/read VNs hell why not just play a game or you know read a book? (pause for effect) ok ok books aren't that fun at least in my opinion cus you know you can't choose your romance in a book then again not all VNs are about romance you know the bad VNs (I'M JUST KIDDING). But there is more to it then just that in books you cant dictate how the book will end but then again not all VNs are choose your own adventures some are no more then picture books and that's fine.....but at that point just read a picture book....... o yeah most picture books are for children.....ok then just read manga (sigh) well at the end of the day for me this is a moot point just do what you love and if reading/playing VNs is what you love than just do it..... ok then if this is a moot point why did i write all this........well to know why YOU play/read VNs

so yeah that's it....o and sorry for all the bad grammar to repay you here is a daft punk gif

giphy.gif

The age old question why do we play/read VNs more importantly why do you play/read VNs hell why not just play a game or you know read a book? (pause for effect) ok ok books aren't that fun at least in my opinion cus you know you can't choose your romance in a book then again not all VNs are about romance you know the bad VNs (I'M JUST KIDDING). But there is more to it then just that in books you cant dictate how the book will end but then again not all VNs are choose your own adventures some are no more then picture books and that's fine.....but at that point just read a picture book....... o yeah most picture books are for children.....ok then just read manga (sigh) well at the end of the day for me this is a moot point just do what you love and if reading/playing VNs is what you love than just do it..... ok then if this is a moot point why did i write all this........well to know why YOU play/read VNs

so yeah that's it....o and sorry for all the bad grammar to repay you here is a daft punk gif

giphy.gif

I used to read a lot of Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid.

I used to be looking for something similar to them, even with a mediocre sorry, for so long.

Then I came across some anime which had dating sims in it.

And so I wanted to play one, as it was so very similar to my childhood books, though in a more... mature format...

Now I just read them 'cause their awesome, I am pretty sure that will sum up most people's current answers.

I love to read books. I enjoy playing games. However I find that Visual Novels are a little different from them. Most books are told from a third person perspective. Even if it is told in first person you don't really get to be in the persons shoes. Games I find completely different to a VN as I look for different qualities and focus on the gameplay as well as the story. VN's turn you into the protagonist. The stories themselves are just as/more emotional than books while maintaining quality at times. Along with the music it just provides a refreshing experience.

However in the end however I try to explain it, the reason I read them is simply because I enjoy it.

I love to read books. I enjoy playing games. However I find that Visual Novels are a little different from them. Most books are told from a third person perspective. Even if it is told in first person you don't really get to be in the persons shoes. Games I find completely different to a VN as I look for different qualities and focus on the gameplay as well as the story. VN's turn you into the protagonist. The stories themselves are just as/more emotional than books while maintaining quality at times. Along with the music it just provides a refreshing experience.

However in the end however I try to explain it, the reason I read them is simply because I enjoy it.

see what i mean MORE THE BETTER lol all answer are good as long as you mean it like i said do what you love 

I am starting to get the feeling I wrote too much.

At first it was the increased immersion (how it places you in the shoes of MC, especially for getting used to someone else's life), sense of agency (choices), ability for multiple explored possibilities (branches), and because enjoyed really getting invested in characters. I like how it has an large anime influence, and yet still is largely presented in words.

I just enjoy the medium. Not necessarily the choice aspect either, as on average I prefer more linear VNs. Even if there are no sprites or voices, music and CGs are still enough to make it more interesting than a book for me. (The first part of Banshee's Last Cry was very immersive despite these limitations). Of course if there are sprites and voices all the better. I don't really project myself onto the MC either. I enjoy named, interesting MCs far more than blank slate ones.

They can also have more depth in character interaction than anime for example. Especially in adaptions, anime have a habit of cutting things out. The nature of the medium also leaves it open to storytelling tricks, for lack of a better term.

Ririko being behind you in Sharin wouldn't work so well in anime, for example.

I always liked video games that were plot and character driven. Since I was around 8 I was a huge Fire Emblem fan. While I liked playing Fire Emblem, more than anything I liked reading the dialogue's between characters. That fact that they had well made anime styled sprites, and would speak to each other with well composed Game Boy music in the background just absorbed me. When I discovered that VN's were like this but without the game play to interrupt the story, well lets just say I was hooked.

Also I never really enjoyed reading plain books. Even now while I enjoy the ideas that a book can present to me, I don't enjoy the actual process of reading (I enjoy thinking about what I just read far more). However, I actually enjoy the process of reading VN's, not just thinking about them afterwards. 

I always liked video games that were plot and character driven. Since I was around 8 I was a huge Fire Emblem fan. While I liked playing Fire Emblem, more than anything I liked reading the dialogue's between characters. That fact that they had well made anime styled sprites, and would speak to each other with well composed Game Boy music in the background just absorbed me. When I discovered that VN's were like this but without the game play to interrupt the story, well lets just say I was hooked.

Also I never really enjoyed reading plain books. Even now while I enjoy the ideas that a book can present to me, I don't enjoy the actual process of reading (I enjoy thinking about what I just read far more). However, I actually enjoy the process of reading VN's, not just thinking about them afterwards. 

yeah its funny how i like reading VNs more then books but i do love audio books speaking of audio books Star Wars Death Troopers is the shit 

http://www.audiobooks.com/audiobook/death-troopers-star-wars/201915

yeah its funny how i like reading VNs more then books but i do love audio books speaking of audio books Star Wars Death Troopers is the shit 

Actually I could picture myself enjoying audio books, however I've yet to try them. Also whenever I hear the term audio book it always reminds me of this scene from Seinfeld:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKprX-HP94

I want to learn how to be a popular stud.

Jokes aside.

Was readin Visual novel just for fun and get rid of my boredom, however after my 3rd Vn which is Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo i starting to read it seriously. The story of Sharin really impact me greatly, i cried like a baby and i want more of that experience. Sadly till now i havent read a vn that could make me cry again. Still searchin~~~~.

And for Nukige...hm..let just say..Fetish exploration. And damn...it did fine.

Actually I could picture myself enjoying audio books, however I've yet to try them. Also whenever I hear the term audio book it always reminds me of this scene from Seinfeld:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKprX-HP94

the only audio book I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gi2UJn-IkM

I want to learn how to be a popular stud.

Jokes aside.

Was readin Visual novel just for fun and get rid of my boredom, however after my 3rd Vn which is Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo i starting to read it seriously. The story of Sharin really impact me greatly, i cried like a baby and i want more of that experience. Sadly till now i havent read a vn that could make me cry again. Still searchin~~~~.

And for Nukige...hm..let just say..Fetish exploration. And damn...it did fine.

you are a stud Monmon

1359643671143696656.GIF

the fact that  i'm making the choices that affects the whole  story,i'm controlling where the story is going,the interactions i can make with the heroines  is what got me into VNs and you can't get that experience from reading a book because everything is already decided, you can't have any affect on the story whatsoever 

i dunno i get this feeling when i read them it's just indescribable what will i ever do without my dear visual novels?

the fact that  i'm making the choices that affects the whole  story,i'm controlling where the story is going,the interactions i can make with the heroines  is what got me into VNs and you can't get that experience from reading a book because everything is already decided, you can't have any affect on the story whatsoever 

i dunno i get this feeling when i read them it's just indescribable what will i ever do without my dear visual novels?

Preach! :D