Is there a true route in Rewrite?

AMMSY

Btw, I hope you've read Chihaya's route as well as I am touching on some stuff from that one. =3

It's a tree because, during Salvation, only plant-life survives. All animal life is re-absorbed in to the planet. Changing in to a tree familiar allowed Kotarou to survive Salvation without losing his sense of self.

Though this doesn't explain why he had to stay behind. My speculation would be that he couldn't rewrite himself in to a familiar and remain as "Kotarou" which would defeat the purpose of him living for Shizuru's sake. Staying behind and using "something that can survive Salvation" he began rewriting himself so that they could meet again. It's just my speculation though, I can't deny that it is a bit of a plot-hole. XD

Actually.. I really like your take of all this. It makes sense.. now shizuru's route ending doesn't seem as bad as it felt when I was reading it. Thanks!

Only one more thing about Shizuru's

Kotarou died at the forest, and then "Kotori" created the link between Kotarou and Shizuru. Like we read in Kotori's route, when the contract is broken, everything that was 'cured' would come back to its start. That means - when Kotarou and Shizuru break their contract, probably Kotarou would die again.

Kotarou died at the forest, and then "Kotori" created the link between Kotarou and Shizuru. Like we read in Kotori's route, when the contract is broken, everything that was 'cured' would come back to its start. That means - when Kotarou and Shizuru break their contract, probably Kotarou would die again.

Unless I am forgotting something or I heven't understood you you are mistaken there when you say that

Kotori was the one to create the link between Kotarou and Shizuru in Shizu's route, I don't remember Kotori haveing anything to do with it. Also he managed to survive because he rewrited himself so much that he wasn't something to be affected with those rules.

Unless I am forgotting something or I heven't understood you you are mistaken there when you say that

Kotori was the one to create the link between Kotarou and Shizuru in Shizu's route, I don't remember Kotori haveing anything to do with it. Also he managed to survive because he rewrited himself so much that he wasn't something to be affected with those rules.

I used " " because it's something implicit. Kotarou listens a voice in his head when the contract is made. The one that alread had a contract with him is Kotori. Also, they were at the forest, and there is Kotori's area, tecnically. And since you can only play Shizuru's route after Kotori's, it makes you think that their routes are connected somehow.

These things [mostly the first one] makes the reader think that the voice Kotarou heard was Kotori's, creating the contract between him and Shizuru. But the game never explain that, so we have to speculate~

I used " " because it's something implicit. Kotarou listens a voice in his head when the contract is made. The one that alread had a contract with him is Kotori. Also, they were at the forest, and there is Kotori's area, tecnically. And since you can only play Shizuru's route after Kotori's, it makes you think that their routes are connected somehow.

These things [mostly the first one] makes the reader think that the voice Kotarou heard was Kotori's, creating the contract between him and Shizuru. But the game never explain that, so we have to speculate~

Lets say it was Kotori voice, I thought so two actually.

which doesn't change the fact that he survived without the contract at the end! My argument (or question) is why the hell, if he survived, did he need to put Shizuru trough months of suffering? This is what bugging me

Thats where MysteriousFayth's explanation/view helped me accept this ending.

Kotarou didn't have a contract with Kotori in any other route then Kotori's, I already posted a proof for that a few posts back but here I'l copy paste it for you "First is that in other routes Kagari died but nothing happened to Kotarou and if Kotori saved Kotarou in other routes in the same way as  in her route Kotarou would die without Kagari around or losed his powers and ended on verge of death. Kotori was a druid and she was getting her power to use as many familiars from Kagari once Kagari dies she wouldn't have enough energy to support Kotarou witch would lead to her death and then Kotarou's death as well as he is her familiar. And if she broke her contract with him his wound would reappear and he would be on werge of death. That was clearly explained in Kotori's route."

Lets say it was Kotori voice, I thought so two actually.

which doesn't change the fact that he survived without the contract at the end! My argument (or question) is why the hell, if he survived, did he need to put Shizuru trough months of suffering? This is what bugging me

You didn't read my post above this one did you?

Also he managed to survive because he rewrited himself so much that he wasn't something to be affected with those rules.

Kotarou didn't have a contract with Kotori in any other route then Kotori's, I already posted a proof for that a few posts back but here I'l copy paste it for you "First is that in other routes Kagari died but nothing happened to Kotarou and if Kotori saved Kotarou in other routes in the same way as  in her route Kotarou would die without Kagari around or losed his powers and ended on verge of death. Kotori was a druid and she was getting her power to use as many familiars from Kagari once Kagari dies she wouldn't have enough energy to support Kotarou witch would lead to her death and then Kotarou's death as well as he is her familiar. And if she broke her contract with him his wound would reappear and he would be on werge of death. That was clearly explained in Kotori's route."

You didn't reas my post above this one did you?

Also he managed to survive because he rewrited himself so much that he wasn't something to be affected with those rules.

I did. that was my question 

why didn't he rewrite himself to Humanoid Familiar like Sakuya was? He didn't die without the contract, so there must be a reason he had to leave Shizuru stay outside and rewrite himself to be a tree ><

Sakuya didn't start out as a humanoid familiar, but rather as a tree like Kotarou. Also, Sakuya had a LOT of years to get used to his body before Chihaya came across him. That would explain why Kotarou wasn't able to immediately return to a humanoid form.  He simply didn't have the understanding of what he was necessary to escape his stationary form. 

Also, Kotori and Kotarou's link exists in all the heroine routes and common route. It is something that happens previous to the start of the game, and thus it isn't something that does or does not exist based on what heroine you choose.

I did. that was my question 

why didn't he rewrite himself to Humanoid Familiar like Sakuya was? He didn't die without the contract, so there must be a reason he had to leave Shizuru stay outside and rewrite himself to be a tree ><

If you remember Sakuya rewrited himself in a tree too before becoming familiar, so maybe he had to become tree first before becoming Humanoid Familiar.

Sakuya didn't start out as a humanoid familiar, but rather as a tree like Kotarou. Also, Sakuya had a LOT of years to get used to his body before Chihaya came across him. That would explain why Kotarou wasn't able to immediately return to a humanoid form.  He simply didn't have the understanding of what he was necessary to escape his stationary form. 

Also, Kotori and Kotarou's link exists in all the heroine routes and common route. It is something that happens previous to the start of the game, and thus it isn't something that does or does not exist based on what heroine you choose.

You are wrong about last past there are two proofs for that, first is the one that I possted there and second one is

that in Kotori's route Kotarou was going to school before the accident with the same classmates but in Terra route he wasn't going to school and was much older than his classmates.

If you remember Sakuya rewrited himself in a tree too before becoming familiar, so maybe he had to become tree first before becoming Humanoid Familiar.

Can't really deny this logic.. still, don't you feel like we are stretching it a bit here? Is that really a requirement? 

Become a tree before you can become a familiar.. Sounds just bit like we are trying a bit too hard here

Also,

at the end he was really thinking what should he become? he didn't say "Hey! I'll be a tree so I could be a humanoid later."

Remember Chiaya route? when he was at the verge of becoming a familiar, no leafs and roots were present there if I remember right

Can't really deny this logic.. still, don't you feel like we are stretching it a bit here? Is that really a requirement? 

Become a tree before you can become a familiar.. Sounds just bit like we are trying a bit too hard here

Like someone said before, a tree wouldn't be destroyed by Salvation. At the same time, he couldn't go to the shelter because of the contract.

You are wrong about last past there are two proofs for that, first is the one that I possted there and second one is

that in Kotori's route Kotarou was going to school before the accident with the same classmates but in Terra route he wasn't going to school and was much older than his classmates.

We already went over this, I thought.

Even with Kotori's magic, he was still comatose for several years, during which he didn't age (I think he stopped aging due to being a familiar?). His memories of his previous time at school were largely fabricated, with his actual memories erased.

We already went over this, I thought.

Even with Kotori's magic, he was still comatose for several years, during which he didn't age (I think he stopped aging due to being a familiar?). His memories of his previous time at school were largely fabricated, with his actual memories erased.

That is just a speculation there is nothing in a VN that points out to that. Also what about other proof?

That is just a speculation there is nothing in a VN that points out to that. Also what about other proof?

The bad end in Terra makes it pretty clear, IMO. As for the other proof, again, I just kind of feel like that's an unintentional plot hole but I admit that's kind of a flimsy argument. Basically, there's a lot of evidence that contradicts what you're saying, see the previous arguments against your posts, and only one piece of evidence that supports your theory, which can be described as a plot hole. I hate writing things off as a plot hole but that's honestly the only thing I can think of.

The bad end in Terra makes it pretty clear, IMO. As for the other proof, again, I just kind of feel like that's an unintentional plot hole but I admit that's kind of a flimsy argument. Basically, there's a lot of evidence that contradicts what you're saying, see the previous arguments against your posts, and only one piece of evidence that supports your theory, which can be described as a plot hole. I hate writing things off as a plot hole but that's honestly the only thing I can think of.

There is far more evidence that support my arguments, first of all you said that

Kotarou's previous time at school memory were largely fabricated but then what about his classmates memories are everyones memory fabricated too? Also you assumed that Terra's bad end is the same timile/world as Kotori's route but that doesn't make any sense as Terra route is happening after Moon and if we say that Kotori's route and other  heroines routes are in the same timeline/world as Terra then that would mean that everything started with Moon but moon is clearly happening after heroines routes. So you see saying that Terra is happening in a same timeline/world as heroines routes would create a infinite loop.  

Of course you can always say that they are all just a lot of plot holes but that is just you saying "those things don't match with what I believed that happened so they are just mistakes made by writers" and where would that lead us. If that's still not enough proof just tell me so I can point out for you much much more.

There is far more evidence that support my arguments, first of all you said that

Kotarou's previous time at school memory were largely fabricated but then what about his classmates memories are everyones memory fabricated too? Also you assumed that Terra's bad end is the same timile/world as Kotori's route but that doesn't make any sense as Terra route is happening after Moon and if we say that Kotori's route and other  heroines routes are in the same timeline/world as Terra then that would mean that everything started with Moon but moon is clearly happening after heroines routes. So you see saying that Terra is happening in a same timeline/world as heroines routes would create a infinite loop.  

Of course you can always say that they are all just a lot of plot holes but that is just you saying "those things don't match with what I believed that happened so they are just mistakes made by writers" and where would that lead us. If that's still not enough proof just tell me so I can point out for you much much more.

I honestly do not remember any of Kotarou's classmates talking much about time spent with him before the common route's beginning.

When Moon takes place is irrelevant. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding on the flow of time within the game and when the routes take place. Think about it this way. The beginning of Terra is the beginning of everything. There is one branch point within Terra, when Kotarou encounters Kagari and either does or doesn't get mortally wounded. If he gets mortally wounded, Kotori saves him, he becomes an unaging familiar,  ends up in a coma for several years, he loses his memories, and he ends up at the beginning of the common route. This is not up for debate, this is pretty much explicitly stated and explored when you get the bad end at this point. All of the heroine routes branch off from that one major branch. The other major branch is the one Kagari and Kotarou find at the end of Moon, where he doesn't get injured by Kagari. In that branch, he has the time, skills, and attitude necessary to save the world because he doesn't get his memories wiped, his personality altered by kotori, or put into a coma. All five heroine routes and Terra all root from the same timeline/world, where Kotarou's parents take him to Gaia meetings, he rebels, and Guardian recruits him. This is even supported in the common route when Imamiya(sp?) clearly recognizes him from the time they spent working together (while Kotarou was buying the digital camera). Not one takes place before or after the other.

Moon takes place independent of all of those timelines. I personally believe that route takes place entirely outside of the concept of time. It just doesn't exist there. They can witness all that ever was, and all that ever will be. They are essentially gods in that way. That's how they know that what happens in Terra is what will save the world. It wasn't a guess.

I honestly do not remember any of Kotarou's classmates talking much about time spent with him before the common route's beginning.

When Moon takes place is irrelevant. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding on the flow of time within the game and when the routes take place. Think about it this way. The beginning of Terra is the beginning of everything. There is one branch point within Terra, when Kotarou encounters Kagari and either does or doesn't get mortally wounded. If he gets mortally wounded, Kotori saves him, he becomes an unaging familiar,  ends up in a coma for several years, he loses his memories, and he ends up at the beginning of the common route. This is not up for debate, this is pretty much explicitly stated and explored when you get the bad end at this point. All of the heroine routes branch off from that one major branch. The other major branch is the one Kagari and Kotarou find at the end of Moon, where he doesn't get injured by Kagari. In that branch, he has the time, skills, and attitude necessary to save the world because he doesn't get his memories wiped, his personality altered by kotori, or put into a coma. All five heroine routes and Terra all root from the same timeline/world, where Kotarou's parents take him to Gaia meetings, he rebels, and Guardian recruits him. This is even supported in the common route when Imamiya(sp?) clearly recognizes him from the time they spent working together (while Kotarou was buying the digital camera). Not one takes place before or after the other.

Moon takes place independent of all of those timelines. I personally believe that route takes place entirely outside of the concept of time. It just doesn't exist there. They can witness all that ever was, and all that ever will be. They are essentially gods in that way. That's how they know that what happens in Terra is what will save the world. It wasn't a guess.

I don't even know where to start pointing out your mistakes you completely misunderstood a story, you are ignoring so much facts that are showing that your arguments are wrong either by calling them plot holes or by creating some explanation that are solely based on just one scene from terra's bad end or by calling them irelevent or by saying that you don't remember.  So rather than pointing out your mistakes let me explain what actually happened.

All 5 heroine routes are happening in different cycles millenniums of years one after another. World starts then it starts to struggle to sustain itself at some point and then it gets destroyed and reborn again. Every time when the world starts to struggle Kagari awakens trying to find a solution and all other characters that are mixed with Key business are reincarnated. After Key failed to sustain the earth again and again and it had only one more chance as it was nearly left totally out of life energy to reborn itself Key of the moon who was also trying to find a solution figured out that Kaoru is important and she summoned/reincarnated him to/on the moon in between reborn of world in hope to find a solution. Sakura, who avoided death after the destruction of the world in a same/similar way as Akane and Shizu in their routes have been sending familiars to kill key and to stop reborning of an earth. Because of that Key of moon with Kotrou's help also summon/reincarnated 5 heroines and some other Kotarou's trusted friends from previous cycles to defend her while she find's a way. And that way was simmple she just had to make Katarou be reincarnated in this cycle earlier than in previous ones because he was important as Key of earth needed his help to find a solution but in earlier cycles, he never had enough time. As for bad end in Terra that is confusing you so much what happened is that Kotarou made a wrong choice and he ended up in a similar situation like few cycles before in Kotori's route.

See no plot holes everything neatly explained, unlike in what you believed happened.

.... huh? I can't really say anything to that other than I think you're somehow misunderstanding something major. That's not even close to the impression I got. If that's what's really going on then I'll just pretend my version is the truth anyways because I like it better. :P

No, it's more or less the way Decay described it. All of Rewrite besides Moon takes place when the Earth doesn't have enough energy to restart, the times when it restarted are all in the past and have nothing to do with Kotarou and the rest, and Moon takes place outside of time.

No, it's more or less the way Decay described it. All of Rewrite besides Moon takes place when the Earth doesn't have enough energy to restart, the times when it restarted are all in the past and have nothing to do with Kotarou and the rest, and Moon takes place outside of time.

And you based that on what? If you give me explanations for those "plot holes" I might believe you.

.... huh? I can't really say anything to that other than I think you're somehow misunderstanding something major. That's not even close to the impression I got. If that's what's really going on then I'll just pretend my version is the truth anyways because I like it better. :P

That's why I answered your first post in this topic with "Depends on how you look at a story". I know that a lot of people have goten a completely different impressions and Rewrite doesn't give you 100% clear answers on everything so there is more than one way to look at it. However the fact that what you believe happened has a lot of plot holes and in what I believe happened has none leads me to believe that I my way is a correct one. Of course you can believe in whatever you want.

That's kind of what I assumed. They were talking about resets thousands of years ago. From partial to complete,

like blaming the ice age that nearly extincted humanity on the key or the fall of rome on her.

And what about Sakuya?