Is there a true route in Rewrite?

AMMSY

There's still some things you haven't really explained yet.

How do you explain Kotarou's personality if you don't think he's been turned into a familiar in some of the heroine routes? During Kotori's route, it's pretty much explicitly said that his personality is amiable because of Kotori's subconscious influence, and that he was different before (like in Terra). So how is it that his personality is different even when he wasn't turned into a familiar? And while we're at it, how do you explain some things in the common route like Imamiya's remarks when they first meet, if Kotarou wasn't previously a part of Guardian every time?

And you based that on what? If you give me explanations for those "plot holes" I might believe you.

I would just say that is based on the events of Moon.

From the way everything is described as a tree with branches, and that the one solution they found is a different branch point on the same tree. And also how the event choices are presented to the player in Terra, as if you're going through the same history again but this time guided by the revelations made in moon. That's what the flames meant. And you say it's full of plot holes, I still say there's only one, the issue with the link to kagari and how her death doesn't always result in the reopening of Kotarou's wounds. That one simply isn't explainable.

And what about Sakuya?

I simply thought that he just came from medieval Japan or some other similar place and became a tree for a few hundred years to stave off his own death. Almost exactly like what happened at the end of Terra, but just with a longer period of time elapsing. Is there something that actually stated that he lived through an actual apocalypse?

These?

Kotarou's previous time at school memory were largely fabricated but then what about his classmates memories are everyones memory fabricated too? Also you assumed that Terra's bad end is the same timile/world as Kotori's route but that doesn't make any sense as Terra route is happening after Moon and if we say that Kotori's route and other  heroines routes are in the same timeline/world as Terra then that would mean that everything started with Moon but moon is clearly happening after heroines routes. So you see saying that Terra is happening in a same timeline/world as heroines routes would create a infinite loop.

Kotarou's a loner so nobody has memories about him before he joined high school besides Kotori. Terra doesn't happen after Moon because Moon happens outside of time. Terra and the heroine routes are all different branches with Terra branching off a few years before the rest.

There's still some things you haven't really explained yet.

How do you explain Kotarou's personality if you don't think he's been turned into a familiar in some of the heroine routes? During Kotori's route, it's pretty much explicitly said that his personality is amiable because of Kotori's subconscious influence, and that he was different before (like in Terra). So how is it that his personality is different even when he wasn't turned into a familiar? And while we're at it, how do you explain some things in the common route like Imamiya's remarks when they first meet, if Kotarou wasn't previously a part of Guardian every time?

I would just say that is based on the events of Moon.

From the way everything is described as a tree with branches, and that the one solution they found is a different branch point on the same tree. And also how the event choices are presented to the player in Terra, as if you're going through the same history again but this time guided by the revelations made in moon. That's what the flames meant. And you say it's full of plot holes, I still say there's only one, the issue with the link to kagari and how her death doesn't always result in the reopening of Kotarou's wounds. That one simply isn't explainable.

I simply thought that he just came from medieval Japan or some other similar place and became a tree for a few hundred years to stave off his own death. Almost exactly like what happened at the end of Terra, but just with a longer period of time elapsing. Is there something that actually stated that he lived through an actual apocalypse?

Let's start explaining some more this time in terms of Q&A.

His personality was always the same the only change in personality was in Terra in which it was different because he was born earlier and led a different life which resulted in him having a different personality.  Deza-Wu from previous life? The tree is more like a memory of a previous cycle. As for Sakuya, didn't he say that nothing has left alive except for him, doesn't that sound like an apocalypse to you?

These?

Kotarou's a loner so nobody has memories about him before he joined high school besides Kotori. Terra doesn't happen after Moon because Moon happens outside of time. Terra and the heroine routes are all different branches with Terra branching off a few years before the rest.

Read your VNs more carefully or at least read my arguments more carefully before trying to prove them wrong. They do remember him and him going to school together with him.

Let's start explaining some more this time in terms of Q&A.

His personality was always the same the only change in personality was in Terra in which it was different because he was born earlier and led a different life which resulted in him having a different personality.  Deza-Wu from previous life? The tree is more like a memory of a previous cycle. As for Sakuya, didn't he say that nothing has left alive except for him, doesn't that sound like an apocalypse to you?

I like how you conveniently ignored the question about how Imamiya could know Kotarou in the common route if he was never a part of Guardian.

Read your VNs more carefully or at least read my arguments more carefully before trying to prove them wrong. They do remember him and him going to school together with him.

Okay, since your memory is flawless give me a quote where someone remembers having gone to school with Kotarou.

If he gives a quote, it should be one that isn't a reference to the previous year in high school, but primary or middle school.

In Kotori's route, she very specifically says that Kotarou's personality used to be different and it was altered by her subconscious control. That was a huge plot point, actually. That was the main reason she didn't want to get romantically involved with him, because she felt like she was subconsciously controlling him in a way to make him more appealing to her and her more appealing to him and that felt morally wrong to her. When Kaguya said those things, from the context it seemed like he meant the people around him, not everyone in the world.

I honestly think you're the one who needs to read your VNs more carefully, but we're just going in circles at this point, aren't we? I don't think it's at all possible to convince each other anymore, we've said all there is to be said. One of us is misremembering and misunderstanding major details and I'm about 90% sure it's not me.

I guess the only time the students talked about Kotarou in the past was at the begining of Kotori's route, when he was almost forgeting her, so they started to talk to Kotarou .-. But I don't remember they saying that it was because of the time before the common route, but because of what happened during that - mappie included.

And what Decay is saying about Kotarou's personality is indeed what Kotori says.

And I didn't get why you guys are discussing about Sakuya too

You are wrong about last past there are two proofs for that, first is the one that I possted there and second one is

that in Kotori's route Kotarou was going to school before the accident with the same classmates but in Terra route he wasn't going to school and was much older than his classmates.

I said 'in the heroine routes' .  Please read carefully.  Also, do you understand what is going on in the Moon/Terra routes?  The Moon route is basically the spirit of the Moon finding a way to help intelligent life survive, and the heroine routes are basically her simulations based on data from Earth before she gives up all potential to support life in order to revive the Earth for one last try. Understand that the heroine route scenarios were based off of the fact that Kotarou stopped aging and his memories reset on a regular basis after he was involved in the accident that killed Kotori's parents. Unlike her parents, he wasn't completely dead when she revived him, so he retained an individual personality, but he was still linked to her and essentially a monster similar to them, except with still-living human parts (that recovered over time, thus allowing him to survive the loss of the Earth's supply of power when Kotori betrays Kagari).  I don't know about the English version, but in the Japanese version all of this was very clear...  if you didn't pick up on this, you either didn't read carefully or the translation was screwed. The Kotori route is simply the only route where this fact is addressed, not the only one where the link exists.  Before his link to Kotori, Kotarou drew on his own life energy to enhance himself, shortening his life, but after he had the energy of the Earth to draw on, in the form of aura. In Terra, where he never forms the link, he controls his blood, instead of aura, and when he uses his ability to rewrite his body, he is drawing on his own lifespan as energy, similar to how the monster-users feed the monsters their life energy to make them move.

Edit: Simple answer for the Kotori route personality issue:

Kotori BELIEVES his personality is amiable because of their link. This is a false belief based on her misapprehension of the nature of their link. Kotarou was not completely dead when she transformed his dead cells into her familiar, and so he retains full autonomy and developed an independent personality. This is also why she is unable to believe he actually loves her and why she rejects anything like romantic approaches from him prior to the story's beginnings.

I'm curious now... just how bad is the Rewrite translation, anyway?  If people are missing so many of the subtle issues of Kotori's route and their situation, it can't be good. 

I like how you conveniently ignored the question about how Imamiya could know Kotarou in the common route if he was never a part of Guardian.

Okay, since your memory is flawless give me a quote where someone remembers having gone to school with Kotarou.

Didn't I say that you should at least "read my arguments more carefully before trying to prove them wrong". I haven't ignored it I answered it "Deza-Wu from previous life?".

My memory isn't flawless I can't remember the exact quote, but I do remember

that because of the accident, he had and the thing with his memories he forgot that he was a good friend with his classmates and he ignored them while they were nice to him because they were

welcoming him back, it was more than one line in which was this crealy explained.

If he gives a quote, it should be one that isn't a reference to the previous year in high school, but primary or middle school.

In Kotori's route, she very specifically says that Kotarou's personality used to be different and it was altered by her subconscious control. That was a huge plot point, actually. That was the main reason she didn't want to get romantically involved with him, because she felt like she was subconsciously controlling him in a way to make him more appealing to her and her more appealing to him and that felt morally wrong to her. When Kaguya said those things, from the context it seemed like he meant the people around him, not everyone in the world.

I honestly think you're the one who needs to read your VNs more carefully, but we're just going in circles at this point, aren't we? I don't think it's at all possible to convince each other anymore, we've said all there is to be said. One of us is misremembering and misunderstanding major details and I'm about 90% sure it's not me.

She didn't feel like she was controlling him she just wasn't sure and didn't want to risk it. That also doesn't mean that he had a huge personality change, it was probably just small change because of maturing and his memoriy thing.

I am 99% sure that it is not me. But I guess I do agree that we are going nowhere with this.

I said 'in the heroine routes' .  Please read carefully.  Also, do you understand what is going on in the Moon/Terra routes?  The Moon route is basically the spirit of the Moon finding a way to help intelligent life survive, and the heroine routes are basically her simulations based on data from Earth before she gives up all potential to support life in order to revive the Earth for one last try. Understand that the heroine route scenarios were based off of the fact that Kotarou stopped aging and his memories reset on a regular basis after he was involved in the accident that killed Kotori's parents. Unlike her parents, he wasn't completely dead when she revived him, so he retained an individual personality, but he was still linked to her and essentially a monster similar to them, except with still-living human parts.  I don't know about the English version, but in the Japanese version all of this was very clear...  if you didn't pick up on this, you either didn't read carefully or the translation was screwed.

Fanny thing that you mention that now, You didn't read my post after that one did you.

As I said I don't believe that that is what happened, this is what I believe happened:

All 5 heroine routes are happening in different cycles millenniums of years one after another. World starts then it starts to struggle to sustain itself at some point and then it gets destroyed and reborn again. Every time when the world starts to struggle Kagari awakens trying to find a solution and all other characters that are mixed with Key business are reincarnated. After Key failed to sustain the earth again and again and it had only one more chance as it was nearly left totally out of life energy to reborn itself Key of the moon who was also trying to find a solution figured out that Kaoru is important and she summoned/reincarnated him to/on the moon in between reborn of world in hope to find a solution. Sakura, who avoided death after the destruction of the world in a same/similar way as Akane and Shizu in their routes have been sending familiars to kill key and to stop reborning of an earth. Because of that Key of moon with Kotrou's help also summon/reincarnated 5 heroines and some other Kotarou's trusted friends from previous cycles to defend her while she find's a way. And that way was simmple she just had to make Katarou be reincarnated in this cycle earlier than in previous ones because he was important as Key of earth needed his help to find a solution but in earlier cycles, he never had enough time. As for bad end in Terra that is confusing you so much what happened is that Kotarou made a wrong choice and he ended up in a similar situation like few cycles before in Kotori's route.

And I definitely did read it carefully. As for translation I doubt that something is wrong with it.

Didn't I say that you should at least "read my arguments more carefully before trying to prove them wrong". I haven't ignored it I answered it "Deza-Wu from previous life?".

My memory isn't flawless I can't remember the exact quote, but I do remember

that because of the accident, he had and the thing with his memories he forgot that he was a good friend with his classmates and he ignored them while they were nice to him because they were

welcoming him back, it was more than one line in which was this crealy explained.

She didn't feel like she was controlling him she just wasn't sure and didn't want to risk it. That also doesn't mean that he had a huge personality change, it was probably just small change because of maturing and his memoriy thing.

I am 99% sure that it is not me. But I guess I do agree that we are going nowhere with this.

Before criticizing others for misunderstanding your arguments try to present them more clearly. Adding a single sentence with no context about Deja-Vu(not Deza-Wu by the way) after a sentence about Kotarou's personality being different doesn't help.

And it's not Deja-Vu because he actually remembers Kotarou, not has a feeling that he does. And nobody else remembers anything from their other lives, so why Imamiya?

If it were a slight change in personality Kotori wouldn't have been that bothered by it. He was an ass and never nice to her according to Kotori and became nice after forming a contract with her.

As for the classmates remembering him, I don't remember such a thing happening but I can't really provide a quote to prove a negative.

This is all once again coming down to you trying to fit the evidence to what you think is true, rather than deciding what you think is true based on the evidence, which makes any sort of argument pointless, so I'm going to stop before this thread gets locked.

Before criticizing others for misunderstanding your arguments try to present them more clearly. Adding a single sentence with no context about Deja-Vu(not Deza-Wu by the way) after a sentence about Kotarou's personality being different doesn't help.

And it's not Deja-Vu because he actually remembers Kotarou, not has a feeling that he does. And nobody else remembers anything from their other lives, so why Imamiya?

If it were a slight change in personality Kotori wouldn't have been that bothered by it. He was an ass and never nice to her according to Kotori and became nice after forming a contract with her.

As for the classmates remembering him, I don't remember such a thing happening but I can't really provide a quote to prove a negative.

This is all once again coming down to you trying to fit the evidence to what you think is true, rather than deciding what you think is true based on the evidence, which makes any sort of argument pointless, so I'm going to stop before this thread gets locked.

I wanted to stop here too as I do see that this is going nowhere but before that I must  first say that you are accusing me of a thing that you are doing "trying to fit the evidence to what you think is true" and you also label everything that doesn't fit in what you think is true as a plot hole.

I wanted to stop here too as I do see that this is going nowhere but before that I must  first say that you are accusing me of a thing that you are doing "trying to fit the evidence to what you think is true" and you also label everything that doesn't fit in what you think is true as a plot hole.

Not once have I said the words "plot hole". Pay attention.

Uhm you all missed one important plot hole in shizuru's route.Even after Kotarou became a tree,he can't become a humanoid-familiar because a contract between a familiar and a summoner just like Sakuya and Chihaya is needed.

But the last time I checked,Shizuru isn't a summoner.So,Kotarou being a tree was hopeless and stupid from the beginning. 

Uhm you all missed one important plot hole in shizuru's route.Even after Kotarou became a tree,he can't become a humanoid-familiar because a contract between a familiar and a summoner just like Sakuya and Chihaya is needed.

But the last time I checked,Shizuru isn't a summoner.So,Kotarou being a tree was hopeless and stupid from the beginning. 

IIRC Chihaya wasn't a summoner either, in the sense that normally the summoner gives their energy to the familiar and learns to control them. Instead, Sakuya is the one giving her energy and she can't directly control Sakuya, she can only tell him what to do.

Harvest Festa spoilers

I haven't played it yet but theres a cg in harvest festa that people keep saying is kotarou after shizuru revives him at the end of her route. The route is a continuation of the oppai route but the cg is a teaser to the original route. this is it.

shizuru3.png

Although Summoners tend to be gathered in Gaia and have some sort of depressive tendencies. They aren't limited to these factors, just about anyone can become establish a contract if they try.

Chihaya is the daughter of two summoners and showed exceptional talent for it at an early age. She is a summoner, the fact that Sakuya gives his life to her is a unique aspect to his power but Chihaya is capable of controlling other familiars.

Kotarou even became a summoner in Akane's and Terra route, even though he isn't a typical summoner in terms of his attitude towards life.

Shizuru was able to establish a contract with Kotarou in order to save his life in the forest. She wasn't a summoner but she still managed to familiarise the damaged parts of his body.

Kotori was a Druid which is just a summoner with different techniques from and is not affiliated with Gaia.

Life, you tempt me with evil but I shall resist. I will not read Festa spoilers! XD

IIRC Chihaya wasn't a summoner either, in the sense that normally the summoner gives their energy to the familiar and learns to control them. Instead, Sakuya is the one giving her energy and she can't directly control Sakuya, she can only tell him what to do.

Uhm Chihaya is a summoner,a very talented summoner since she can form contract with familiars ever since she was still a little kid.(This is pretty obvious if you read her route. ==" I don't know why you said she isn't a summoner).

Kotarou probably could do the same as Sakuya did like you mentioned but the fact they need to "form a contract" is a special ability only summoner could do.

Although Summoners tend to be gathered in Gaia and have some sort of depressive tendencies. They aren't limited to these factors, just about anyone can become establish a contract if they try.

Chihaya is the daughter of two summoners and showed exceptional talent for it at an early age. She is a summoner, the fact that Sakuya gives his life to her is a unique aspect to his power but Chihaya is capable of controlling other familiars.

Kotarou even became a summoner in Akane's and Terra route, even though he isn't a typical summoner in terms of his attitude towards life.

Shizuru was able to establish a contract with Kotarou in order to save his life in the forest. She wasn't a summoner but she still managed to familiarise the damaged parts of his body.

Kotori was a Druid which is just a summoner with different techniques from and is not affiliated with Gaia.

Life, you tempt me with evil but I shall resist. I will not read Festa spoilers! XD

Oh well,this proved a concrete answer.

Uhm Chihaya is a summoner,a very talented summoner since she can form contract with familiars ever since she was still a little kid.(This is pretty obvious if you read her route. ==" I don't know why you said she isn't a summoner).

Kotarou probably could do the same as Sakuya did like you mentioned but the fact they need to "form a contract" is a special ability only summoner could do.

Oh well,this proved a concrete answer.

My bad, I guess I mixed that up with something else. I should go sleep.

• 1 year later...

This VN seems really inconsistent. Why did all the members of the occult club vanish after the incident in the forest when going for Kotori, but when going for Chihaya route then they're still there?

They didn't disappear, you just didn't see them since you were too busy lurking in the forest.

Btw, Shizuru did make a brief appearance at the end.

Yes, they did. With Kotori you were alone at school with no occult members for weeks (you also found the prez's letter on the desk saying you need to be patient and wait), and suddenly Kotori appears at her home again. I'm in the middle of the second heroine path now (Chihaya) so i was just puzzled by the fact that everything was different at the point where the difference between the two paths should be next to none. At least those weeks at school with no other occult members. I was just hoping it wasn't just a silly plot hole or bad writing.

Yes, they did. With Kotori you were alone at school with no occult members for weeks (you also found the prez's letter on the desk saying you need to be patient and wait), and suddenly Kotori appears at her home again. I'm in the middle of the second heroine path now (Chihaya) so i was just puzzled by the fact that everything was different at the point where the difference between the two paths should be next to none. At least those weeks at school with no other occult members. I was just hoping it wasn't just a silly plot hole or bad writing.

I know that it's your first VN but I think you came here with wrong expectation. It's not like different heroine routes are the same story, just with different girl and other perspective. Each route is completely new plot, and while they will have some common points, because it's the same world and setting, you just can't be surprised that events in one route go other way than in the other.

I just think it could have been handled a bit smarter. It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. And with the common path being what it is, it shouldn't deviate in this manner if it the story was any good. But as you know, it's my first VN, so i don't know how most VN handles heroine paths and such. Fortunately the heroine paths are interesting thus far, so i think i'll continue until i've finished it!