A question about Clannad Anime Vs VN

AMMSY

I only watched the anime and about the last couple episodes... yeah, didn't make a whole lot of sense. Like, I kind of got it, but not really. Honestly, I thought it was a terrible ending.

I really dislike the whole "and then suddenly magic happens and everyone lives happily ever after!" angle some stories take, and Clannad was really bad about that. In the anime, it was inexplicable, but even if it is totally explained in the VN, I still feel like I would probably dislike it. It spent all of that time creating a string of tragedies so it could tell a story about how the protagonist has to somehow find a way to lead a fulfilling life in the face such loss, only for it to just undo everything at the last moment anyways. Give me a break.

I only watched the anime and about the last couple episodes... yeah, didn't make a whole lot of sense. Like, I kind of got it, but not really. Honestly, I thought it was a terrible ending.

I really dislike the whole "and then suddenly magic happens and everyone lives happily ever after!" angle some stories take, and Clannad was really bad about that. In the anime, it was inexplicable, but even if it is totally explained in the VN, I still feel like I would probably dislike it. It spent all of that time creating a string of tragedies so it could tell a story about how the protagonist has to somehow find a way to lead a fulfilling life in the face such loss, only for it to just undo everything at the last moment anyways. Give me a break.

In Conclusion:

- The anime is essentially all VN routes combined to one timeline, excluding Hiiragi Kappei, Furukawa Akio, and Furukawa Sanae. (that's 10 routes including OVAs)

- The anime explores Fujibayashi Kyou and Sakagami Tomoyo's routes in 2 OVA episodes by the name of 'Another World'.

Furukawa Nagisa is the main heroine in both the anime and visual novel.

What the anime has over the VN:

- Better art.

- Characters that aren't shown and/or voiced in the VN.

Miyazawa Yukine's route is intensively extended.

I prefer the 'bad' ending as well, but at least in the VN, there was proper lead-up to

the whole magic thing. I'd have much more trouble with it if they just suddenly decided to give you a good ending instead, but they were going there right from the very beginning, with the Orbs of Light and all.

I preferred the ending before the true one in LB as well, but it somehow feels more complete with the true KEY ending in there as well. :)

LB's ending was handled better just because even though it's kind of the same basic idea in theory, it was ultimately the main characters' hard work that saved the day. It felt like it was earned from the cumulative character growth you've witnessed throughout the story, and that makes it much easier to swallow.

LB's ending was handled better just because even though it's kind of the same basic idea in theory, it was ultimately the main characters' hard work that saved the day. It felt like it was earned from the cumulative character growth you've witnessed throughout the story, and that makes it much easier to swallow.

No matter how you look at it, it's a sudden happy end out of nowhere. Hard work of the characters? Please, what you see is an awfully convenient nakige-style plot twist for the ending.

Regardless of whether you might prefer the anime or VN, if you're already in the middle of the anime you should just finish it.  If it interests you after that, play the VN.  I enjoyed both immensely, even if I preferred the anime adaptation (going against general rule of thumb).

This is more a question about taste than anything really. Try the VN out and see if you like it more or less than the Anime. Personally I think both are very good. They are really made on different media, so there will be some cons and pros for each.

If someone pointed a gun at me and asked me which is best, I'd likely go for the vn.

No matter how you look at it, it's a sudden happy end out of nowhere. Hard work of the characters? Please, what you see is an awfully convenient nakige-style plot twist for the ending.

Key has this nasty habit of adding some sort of forced contrivance to all of their works usually to induce feels and most of the time it just feels out of place.

I liked Clannad for what it was, but I have stopped reading anything by Key since Rewrite.

Is Clannad like Rewrite, where you have to re-read all text, and all routes begin at the same time? [mostly]

Yes.

The common route houses several choices, what you decide on ultimately leads to who you meet and who you get close to. There is a possibility for a plot character to not show up at all depending on how you play through. The safest bet is to redo the common route.  ^_^

That is excluding the After Story, which works very much like Moon and Terra. It is only available after the completion of Nagisa's route. In addition, it's true ending is unlocked after ALL routes are cleared.

Is Clannad like Rewrite, where you have to re-read all text, and all routes begin at the same time? [mostly]

Actually, no. If I remember correctly, there isn't much of a common route, since the plot branches really early on - that said, you will have to start the VN again each time, obviously.

That's a 'yes', senpai -_- A common route is still a common route

Not to such an extent as in other KEY works, where you just read the same thing each time until the story finally branches; if I remember correctly, Clannad isn't really like that. Sure, there is a base outline you could call a common route, but depending on your choices, you'll see entirely different things, not like in, say, Rewrite or Little Busters, where you go through the exact same plot each time with just minimal variations until the route reaches a certain point.

Well, Clannad was one of the first VNs I've read so I might be forgetting things, but I think it was pretty much like that.

Not to such an extent as in other KEY works, where you just read the same thing each time until the story finally branches; if I remember correctly, Clannad isn't really like that. Sure, there is a base outline you could call a common route, but depending on your choices, you'll see entirely different things, not like in, say, Rewrite or Little Busters, where you go through the exact same plot each time with just minimal variations until the route reaches a certain point.

Well, Clannad was one of the first VNs I've read so I might be forgetting things, but I think it was pretty much like that.

I've never distinguished between common routes fairly much, because the differences they have only rest on the scale of impact their choices thereof. Clannad's common route for instance, is in a way structurally similar to Little Busters, only LB's branches don't deviate much since Clannad has more sub-branches, per se. These variations ultimately give you "different things to see" regardless of how minimal they are. I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure you can miss a route or two in LB and Rewrite as well if you don't make the correct choices within the common route.   ^_^

I was under the impression that Silvz's question was to ask this sort of similarity, especially compared to other structures like segmented branching (i.e. G-Senjou, Steins;Gate)

This is what I don't get... there's a skip option that stops whenever something you haven't read before appears, so what's the problem with starting the game once again?

It's still somewhat tedious.  :lol:

Well, the Rewrite's common route is kind of boring, since even at times where you get a new dialogue, a few lines later, you go back to re-reading. The choices don't change a lot in the game, at least at 90% of it.

I pretend to read Clannad, since I really loved the anime, but since there are 10 routes, like you guys said, I wouldn't enjoy if it was that way .-.

By the way, sometimes in Rewrite, I get lost, since I use the skip option, and some dialogues start at some point that I don't remember =/

Well, the Rewrite's common route is kind of boring, since even at times where you get a new dialogue, a few lines later, you go back to re-reading. The choices don't change a lot in the game, at least at 90% of it.

I pretend to read Clannad, since I really loved the anime, but since there are 10 routes, like you guys said, I wouldn't enjoy if it was that way .-.

By the way, sometimes in Rewrite, I get lost, since I use the skip option, and some dialogues start at some point that I don't remember =/

Unless you mess with the settings, Clannad's skip feature automatically stops at an unread text.  :lol:

Clannad's common sub-branches are far noticeable and divergent than that of Rewrite, but you'll still occasionally re-read some text. I can imagine it being tiresome in your 10th playthrough, if that puts you off then don't force yourself to play. The anime did a great job summarizing 10 of 13 routes, and watching it before playing the VN kinda spoils the entire experience. But if you insist on exploring every nook and cranny of the original Clannad's plot then you better deal with the re-reading.  :P

Unless you mess with the settings, Clannad's skip feature automatically stops at an unread text.  :lol:

Clannad's common sub-branches are far noticeable and divergent than that of Rewrite, but you'll still occasionally re-read some text. I can imagine it being tiresome in your 10th playthrough, if that puts you off then don't force yourself to play. The anime did a great job summarizing 10 of 13 routes, and watching it before playing the VN kinda spoils the entire experience. But if you insist on exploring every nook and cranny of the original Clannad's plot then you better deal with the re-reading.  :P

And boy is there a lot to explore, there's even a whole fictional 'Choose your own adventure' book hidden in there! :D Ah, why can't they release this sort of content in their newer VNs too? :D

is Clannad(air and kanon) very depressive? i mean everyone say prepare to cry so i am expecting to be very gloomy which is why i am kinda on guard and have been puting those three title off. i mean some game/anime makes me feel like part of your have died and feel depressed for days

is Clannad(air and kanon) very depressive? i mean everyone say prepare to cry so i am expecting to be very gloomy which is why i am kinda on guard and have been puting those three title off. i mean some game/anime makes me feel like part of your have died and feel depressed for days

It's happy and depressing at the same time. Best way to put it is that it's a work of art. I would recommend reading it since it'll probably make you feel every emotion in the book.

they are nakiges

they are gloomy and bittersweet but in the end it leaves you with a happy end feeling