Yet Another Crazy Idea from Me: Fuwanovel Lit Journal Vol I?

Tay

Fuwanovel Forums Literary Journal?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you WANT to read a thought-provoking Fuwanovel forums "literary journal"?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you WANT to contribute something to it, if it did happen?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Hey everybody,

I had a crazy idea just now.  One that I think could be pretty fun and cool.   Let's begin with this post by shirayuki75.  In it, he comments on the very-interesting LB analysis by Isaac and comments that it's something one would expect to see in a VN literary journal.

... Then I started thinking:  Maybe it would be fun to put one together!  I've been editor on a handful of journals (though most were poetry journals), and I think it's a no-brainer that we have a lot of really interesting material here on the forums.  Would anybody be interested in helping compile (or write anew!) interesting content and/or design the first-ever Fuwanovel Forums Literary Journal, Volume I (title a work-in-progress ;))?

If not... No problem.  Just seemed like a fun project we could do.  I think we could have a good time with it.  

Let me know in the poll above, or by responding to this thread!

People who don't think they have the time/motivation to write an article could act as proofreaders. Especially for articles written by non-native speakers like me, that would avoid awkward wording and grammatical mistakes. 

I would be willing to help out in this way.

This sounds like an interesting idea, i completely support it.

I think not only it adds value with the content everyone can contribute but it can be a learning experience for people who want a place to practice article writing and other literary works and at the same time contribute to a community, get feedback and help from other members and produce an encyclopedia of knowledge and opinions regarding Visual Novels.

The amount of discussion and debates this can generate are endless.

I can't say i'll contribute much but if i ever find an oportunity i wouldn't mind at all.

I feel like an asshole for being the only one to vote no on the "would you be interested in contributing to it".

Anyway, I would definitely read it if it was written.

I don't think there's a need to feel like an ass for that, I myself don't believe i can contribute much, i vote i'd want to contribute in case an oportunity came up or i just felt inspired (I wonder when that'll be), since there's no in between. I think just the fact that people are interested in reading is already a big step to create this.

Could someone explain to me what this actually is. Because the more I read it, the less I understand it :unsure:

I think the main concept is a journal for fuwanovel (maybe a new tab can be created or so) where users can write their own articles regarding a certain topic (Visual novel related i'm assuming) with somewhat of an academic quality. The type of article you'd read in a proper newspaper and acording to Tay the goal is to compile all these into one big newspaper.

And after said newspaper volume is posted it can be up for discussion or debate.

I believe that's the main goal here or that's what i understood.

Nosebleed did a good job at summarizing it.  This'll be a project that will make a magazine-like document with articles, reviews, and maybe other things about VNs.  Its goal would be to be an interesting read which gets you thinking.

What Nosebleed said earlier was also a reason I thought about doing this: a lot of people in the community are creative and like to write, but don't have experience writing articles/essays.  To me, it sounds like a fun opportunity to try out new skills.

I would love to read something like this, though I don't think I offer enough perspective to contribute in a meaningful way. It would be cool to help in some form or fashion should this get off the ground. I do have quite a bit a free time just being solely a student.

This is a fantastic idea. I can't tell you how often I've googled my favorite VNs, (and anime) hoping to find some result where people wrote some kind of analysis of them. If I'm lucky I can find reviews, but reviews are more of a second choice. For there to be a journal where people submit interpretations and analysis of Visual Novels would be great and I would definitely read it. I also would really like to contribute as well.  I have occasionally though about writing some kind of interpretive paper on anime and VNs, but often a combination of being busy and not having enough motivation resulted in nothing being done. But if there were a place to submit such writings I'm sure I would have an increased drive to finally get my ideas down on paper, (or a digital screen).

It looks like there's enough support, and people are interested in making this happen.  Great!  Thanks for bumping this, Nohman.

For those who are interested in contributing -- what would help you to find topics?  Do you already have an idea for an article?  Need one?  We need writers, now, so look through old forum topics, or brainstorm one!

If people are interested in helping to organize and edit the product (meaning big-picture work), please let me know.  Previous editing experience is preferred, but since part of the goal of this project is to help build new skills in people interested in writing/editing, anybody can apply.  Until we can gauge the interest in editing staff, I don't want to speak any more to how the project will unfold.