Unlimited Chat Works - Random Talk

allpukmaster

Soo I wanted to start learning Japanese since some time ago, but I am quite poor, any recommendations on how I should start?

I am not bad in understanding easy Japanese by ear since I watch a lot of anime so the main focus would be starting to learn reading.

Any help would be appreciated.

Honestly you can get through the first year of japanese at college all on your own with  minimal effort. 

First find a hiragana(Japanese main syllabary) chart online and memorize it. There are about 46 "symbols". If you put in ANY effort it should take a week or less. Then repeat the process with a katakana (Syllabary for sounds, emphasis, and foreign words) chart. 

Second you will need to memorize some words. Simple I know. If you watch enough anime you should know more than 200 random ones already like love or stupid. Look them up write them a few times to memorize proper spelling. Once you get about 300 more useful words like hello and colors and numbers and such you are done with the vocab for year one.

Third you will need to learn the most basic of grammar. Basically all you do year one is learn particles. You can easily find descriptions of what they do online. I recommend the Tae Kim's guide. But to be honest at first it makes no differences when you are learning the first few uses for particles.

Congratulations! you are done with year ones of college Japanese. You can learn all of these on your own in about 2~3 months if you put in minimal effort of about 1 hour a day or less. If you wanna do the whole first year you will also have to learn the first year kanji which are about 80. To be honest though at this stage it will only make it harder and 80 kanji are useless anyways. You can focus on kanji a little more once you pass 2nd year japanese which is verb tenses and a little more grammar mostly.

For the charts, I recommend just copying them over and over. If you really buckle down you can do one in a weekend. Just find some Japanese words like a list of adjectives and copy them over and over in hiragana and you will learn it in 2 days. You will need to keep practicing but in about a week you won't have to even glance at the chart anymore and you will have learnt a few adjectives as an added bonus.

For the Vocabulary, there is just no better method than flashcards, or Anki if you prefer digital flashcards. You can get through about 20 a day in about 20 minutes in a month of doing it everyday you can easily get 300 words when you account for review.

For the grammar, at first just read a description of what particles are and memorize them. There are only about 5 you need to care about at this level. Understanding perfectly how to use them takes a long looong time. But! memorizing them takes 10 minutes. They are only 5 of the hiragana symbols you previously memorized.

All in all 3 months is a very realistic goal with any motivation.

Third you will need to learn the most basic of grammar. Basically all you do year one is learn particles.

I think it's also important (and not that hard) to learn how to conjugate basic verb forms (present/future, past and their negative counterparts). And if you're that far in anyway, might as well throw in adjectives because they conjugate rather similarly.

I think it's also important (and not that hard) to learn how to conjugate basic verb forms (present/future, past and their negative counterparts). And if you're that far in anyway, might as well throw in adjectives because they conjugate rather similarly.

I totally agree but I call that Japanese 2. Or at least that is how it was at the college I took the classes at. Japanese 1 just gets you a little taste.

Honestly you can get through the first year of japanese at college all on your own with  minimal effort. 

First find a hiragana(Japanese main syllabary) chart online and memorize it. There are about 46 "symbols". If you put in ANY effort it should take a week or less. Then repeat the process with a katakana (Syllabary for sounds, emphasis, and foreign words) chart. 

Second you will need to memorize some words. Simple I know. If you watch enough anime you should know more than 200 random ones already like love or stupid. Look them up write them a few times to memorize proper spelling. Once you get about 300 more useful words like hello and colors and numbers and such you are done with the vocab for year one.

Third you will need to learn the most basic of grammar. Basically all you do year one is learn particles. You can easily find descriptions of what they do online. I recommend the Tae Kim's guide. But to be honest at first it makes no differences when you are learning the first few uses for particles.

Congratulations! you are done with year ones of college Japanese. You can learn all of these on your own in about 2~3 months if you put in minimal effort of about 1 hour a day or less. If you wanna do the whole first year you will also have to learn the first year kanji which are about 80. To be honest though at this stage it will only make it harder and 80 kanji are useless anyways. You can focus on kanji a little more once you pass 2nd year japanese which is verb tenses and a little more grammar mostly.

For the charts, I recommend just copying them over and over. If you really buckle down you can do one in a weekend. Just find some Japanese words like a list of adjectives and copy them over and over in hiragana and you will learn it in 2 days. You will need to keep practicing but in about a week you won't have to even glance at the chart anymore and you will have learnt a few adjectives as an added bonus.

For the Vocabulary, there is just no better method than flashcards, or Anki if you prefer digital flashcards. You can get through about 20 a day in about 20 minutes in a month of doing it everyday you can easily get 300 words when you account for review.

For the grammar, at first just read a description of what particles are and memorize them. There are only about 5 you need to care about at this level. Understanding perfectly how to use them takes a long looong time. But! memorizing them takes 10 minutes. They are only 5 of the hiragana symbols you previously memorized.

All in all 3 months is a very realistic goal with any motivation.

Highly appreciate it, thanks!

I will give it my best so I´ll someday be able to enjoy Visual Novels without the need to wait for the translation, or hell even help with it!

Guest afbrites

Hi guys!

I am really new to this forum thing, but i really liked the majikoi visual novel... and when i saw it was getting translated by fans, i just had to show some support!!!

Hope you all kepp up the good work ^^

And sorry if I misspeld some words, my main language is portuguese --'

Man, Miyakos route may be the next good thing to be translated despite how slow its going. There doesn't seem to be anything good coming out any time soon. :/

Well, we can expect the first VN for Angel Beats to be released soon...but that won't be translated very soon either, but we can hope.

Well, we can expect the first VN for Angel Beats to be released soon...but that won't be translated very soon either, but we can hope.

I really hope that we can get TK's (and the bulk of the cast's) backstory, that was only real complaint with Angel Beats

Hi guys!

I am really new to this forum thing, but i really liked the majikoi visual novel... and when i saw it was getting translated by fans, i just had to show some support!!!

Hope you all kepp up the good work ^^

And sorry if I misspeld some words, my main language is portuguese --'

Welcome to the Miyako fanclub. Have a complimentary Miyako picture:

6PlEa.jpg

Now when the next patch does come out for this other route will it invalidate save data or have to be reinstalled ? Just wondering if doing a couple of the completed routes is a worthwhile idea

If it is anything like the last several patches, as long as you haven't ventured into any untranslated areas, saved games shouldn't be affected. If you have ventured into untranslated areas, I'm not entirely sure how it'll deal with it.

Then again, the TLs here could be using an entirely different method than TakaJun did and I could be completely wrong.

I really hope that we can get TK's (and the bulk of the cast's) backstory, that was only real complaint with Angel Beats

afaik the vn's will cover 3 routes and all the main characters will be covered over the course of the vn series, so I would expect the back story to be much deeper than what we got in the anime but the anime was forcibly cut short so a lot of proper plot development turned into what garbage we got.